ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 20th August 2019, 06:36 PM   #801
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Exactly.

Americans have got to take control of their government, and fast. You've got to vote these traitors out of office and restore sanity to Congress before you lose democracy altogether.
I fear that we already have and our next elections will be as free and fair as elections in Russia.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 11:56 PM   #802
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I fear that we already have and our next elections will be as free and fair as elections in Russia.
I still hold out hope - The Republicans really don't hold all the cards, after all, and even if they're cheating with the ones that they do have, they're getting caught enough to make it clear that they really, really need to be carefully watched. We are in very real and significant danger, but democracy is still the name of the game.
Old 21st August 2019, 05:20 AM   #803
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
In a shocking turn of events it would appear illegal activity is being covered up by the Republicans, and as a consequence...*checks notes* jack **** will happen!
Now all they need is Trump to pardon Butina.

What the Democrats need to do is make campaign commercials out of this.
Old 10th September 2019, 04:35 AM   #804
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/gregpmiller/stat...36854714306565

Quote:
Remarkable details emerging tonight from CNN, NYT and WaPo on CIA source who was extracted from Russia after providing critical intel on Kremlin interference in 2016 election.

Like so much intel reporting, the CIA Moscow stories have taken years to unspool. In part because it's hard, painstaking work and even under best circumstances some details just never come.

In some cases, details that news orgs initially agree to withhold at govt. behest spill out in subsequent reports.

WaPo knew in 2017 that CIA had human source in Kremlin with direct access to Putin, furnished docs showing Putin authorization of election interference plot. We held some back. But knew it would come out.

Details emerging tonight certainly surpass what we knew. Excellent reporting @shaneharris @julianbarnes @jimsciutto
Article embedded in first tweet.

This is huge if true, surely? The CIA knew that Putin personally authorised a campaign of interference in the 2016 elections - which means that, even if he didn't already know from any other source, Trump knew in 2017, as he would have been briefed. Yet he continued to deny it and to defend Putin.
Old 10th September 2019, 04:49 AM   #805
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

This is huge if true, surely? The CIA knew that Putin personally authorised a campaign of interference in the 2016 elections - which means that, even if he didn't already know from any other source, Trump knew in 2017, as he would have been briefed. Yet he continued to deny it and to defend Putin.
Not to trumpers. What they can't rationalize, they simply deny.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:24 AM   #806
Belz...
Fiend God

Could you post the link to the article directly? Twitter's not visible here.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 05:33 AM   #807
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Could you post the link to the article directly? Twitter's not visible here.
It's paywalled, but: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...abd_story.html
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 11:14 AM   #808
Aridas

Err... Honestly, this is not new news. If I recall correctly, there was literally a tape of Putin ordering said illegal activity that came out, probably back in 2017. Yes, Trump's been brazenly lying and pretty much everyone actually paying real attention, right and left, knows it. The right's just been focused on distracting and lying to their listeners, like they have been for decades.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:16 PM   #809
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/u...nt-russia.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/polit...ted/index.html

And for the alternative facts version:
Fox: CIA slams CNN's 'misguided' and 'simply false' reporting on alleged CIA spy's extraction from Kremlin
I wonder if they are just trying to muddy the story altogether.
Quote:
The extraordinary CIA rebuke came as The New York Times published a bombshell piece late in the evening, which largely contradicted CNN's reporting. According to the Times, CIA officials "made the arduous decision in late 2016 to offer to extract the source from Russia" — weeks before Trump even took office.
Made the decision in 2016 and only carried it out now?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th September 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 12:23 PM   #810
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Err... Honestly, this is not new news. If I recall correctly, there was literally a tape of Putin ordering said illegal activity that came out, probably back in 2017. Yes, Trump's been brazenly lying and pretty much everyone actually paying real attention, right and left, knows it. The right's just been focused on distracting and lying to their listeners, like they have been for decades.
Got a link for that? It's not like Putin is usually so direct.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:57 PM   #811
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The Fox report, above, actually sounds credible. New reporters were the ones about to disclose the spy, not Trump's loose lips.

Of course Trump's loose lips might be behind the news reports. I don't understand any reporter that would actually work to out a spy for a story.

From the Fox report:
Quote:
An NBC reporter who knocked at the Russian's door was confronted by unidentified men in an SUV, presumed to be security personnel, within minutes. Speculation about the purported spy's identity, using publicly available records, quickly circulated on social media after NBC News' report revealed identifiable details about his living situation. Russian officials reportedly said the man at the center of those reports worked in the presidential administration but was fired and did not have direct access to Putin.
This is a mess, I'm glad the spy is now safe. Except he probably has to worry about being poisoned.

Whoops, this extraction was in 2017 and only being reported now.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th September 2019 at 01:00 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 11:59 PM   #812
Aridas

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Got a link for that? It's not like Putin is usually so direct.
Hmm. I'm getting a lot of hits about Putin talking about pee tapes and the Trump-Putin Helsinki meeting, but I'm not seeing the articles that I'm fairly sure I read back then? I suppose it's possible that I was slightly misremembering something like this, but... meh? I seem to recall it as a slightly different, albeit likely related, story to what that Guardian article deals with. Possibly a leak from the report referenced there? As for Putin's directness, I seem to recall it being more of an order to a person who would pass the order along to more relevant parties. It was specifically held up as noteworthy because the intelligence community had fairly certainly deliberately leaked it to counter Trump's repeated lies about Putin and Russia's involvement in attacking our elections? Meh. My apologies for not having a link handy.

Last edited by Aridas; 11th September 2019 at 12:09 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 07:44 AM   #813
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

If the US was vaguely within shouting distance of normality, the Stone trial would be headline news. The details are coming out about Trump+Russia collusion. No surprises for reality-based observers.

Stone blatantly lied to Congress about his communications with wikileaks (via intermediaries) and Trump, according to the prosecutor. Color me not flabbergasted.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:11 AM   #814
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
If the US was vaguely within shouting distance of normality, the Stone trial would be headline news. The details are coming out about Trump+Russia collusion. No surprises for reality-based observers.

Stone blatantly lied to Congress about his communications with wikileaks (via intermediaries) and Trump, according to the prosecutor. Color me not flabbergasted.
I heard this morning that Steve Bannon will be testifying against him. Think about that one!
Old 7th November 2019, 01:56 PM   #815
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Probably worth mentioning that there is quite a bit about Brexit and Russia. And some familiar names as well (Bannon, for example)

Bit convoluted for a single set of links, but if I have time I might add them as it all part of Putin's attempt to spread kleptocracy and authoritarianism.

ETA: and whilst I was writing this post - the following story appeared in my Twitter feed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoo...mpression=true
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 7th November 2019 at 01:57 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 02:09 PM   #816
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Probably worth mentioning that there is quite a bit about Brexit and Russia. And some familiar names as well (Bannon, for example)

Bit convoluted for a single set of links, but if I have time I might add them as it all part of Putin's attempt to spread kleptocracy and authoritarianism.

ETA: and whilst I was writing this post - the following story appeared in my Twitter feed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoo...mpression=true
This much we've already known:
Quote:
Techniques include propagandistic news, outright fake news, paid commentators, bots and the hijacking of real social media accounts.
I'm not surprised bad people are exploiting these techniques round the world.
Old 7th November 2019, 02:56 PM   #817
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Putin's attempt to spread kleptocracy and authoritarianism

Old 8th November 2019, 05:40 AM   #818
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
You don't think Putin is an autocrat who's enriched himself and his allies at the expense of the Russian people?

You really do only read Russian state propaganda, don't you?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:42 AM   #819
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

You really do only read Russian state propaganda, don't you?
In this forum, at least. Most of our other extremists try to come off as reasonable from time to time, but CE's posts are pure Pravda. It's refreshingly consistent.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:17 AM   #820
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
In this forum, at least. Most of our other extremists try to come off as reasonable from time to time, but CE's posts are pure Pravda. It's refreshingly consistent.

Be advised that I get ppw (paid-per-whine) so you might want to tone it down a little, buddy.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:43 AM   #821
Belz...
Fiend God

Be advised that I get ppw (paid-per-whine) so you might want to tone it down a little, buddy.
Nah, I'm pretty sure the impetus is anti-west sentiment.

Did I win?

Old 8th November 2019, 12:43 PM   #822
Venom
Illuminator

Nah, I'm pretty sure the impetus is anti-west sentiment.

Did I win?
Pretty sure you're right.

Otherwise some of these ostensible hard leftists wouldn't be supporting a multi-billionaire, mass murdering, warmongering autocrat.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #823
Aridas

So you whine a lot and you get paid for it?

Of course, if you actually meant that you get paid for other people whining, somehow, that begs the question of why you'd say that. You want him to tone things down from legitimate criticism to empty whining, so you get paid more, perhaps? Or, if you're trying to call that whining, you want to get paid less?
Old 8th November 2019, 03:11 PM   #824
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

So you whine a lot and you get paid for it?

Of course, if you actually meant that you get paid for other people whining, somehow, that begs the question of why you'd say that. You want him to tone things down from legitimate criticism to empty whining, so you get paid more, perhaps? Or, if you're trying to call that whining, you want to get paid less?

Yeah, maybe I'm heartbroken because of the backlash to my posts. Fact is that I'm doing it since 2006 with much more controversial stuff than stupid Russiagate CT mocking. So I wouldn't think that I make the impression of being easily bullied, and of course there was no legitimate criticism, just whining based on paranoia.

I'd say the answer to your fake question is clear. Not sure if I'm allowed to say it, though, Sherlock, and if it is in the reality frame you are able to accept.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:13 PM   #825
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I love to be called "Vlad" by ... some people btw.

It isn't even a real minimization of ... whatever, let the children play.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:14 PM   #826
Aridas

Yeah, maybe I'm heartbroken because of the backlash to my posts. Fact is that I'm doing it since 2006 with much more controversial stuff than stupid Russiagate CT mocking. So I wouldn't think that I make the impression of being easily bullied, and of course there was no legitimate criticism, just whining based on paranoia.

I'd say the answer to your fake question is clear. Not sure if I'm allowed to say it, though, Sherlock, and if it is in the reality frame you are able to accept.
*comforts Childlike Empress*
Old 8th November 2019, 03:21 PM   #827
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

And now? Success? Don't forget that Putin is still trying to spread kleptocracy and weird soups in your country and there's nothing you can do about it but whine while I cash in obscene amounts of rubles.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:27 PM   #828
Aridas

And now? Success? Don't forget that Putin is still trying to spread kleptocracy and weird soups in your country and there's nothing you can do about it but whine while I cash in obscene amounts of rubles.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:28 PM   #829
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

*cashes in more rubles*
Old 8th November 2019, 03:37 PM   #830
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I think I'll buy that Winter Palace over there with all that whine money.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 8th November 2019, 03:49 PM   #831
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I heard this morning that Steve Bannon will be testifying against him. Think about that one!
Not really surprising. Bannon and Stone have hated each other for a long time.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics