ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old Today, 03:30 AM   #761
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 87,988
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Has some word mill been churning out books that could have WH insiders attach their names to? This sudden upsurge in "literary" output seems a little too convenient.
Gift buying season, happens in a lot of countries around their Christmas period, in the USA it is brought forward a little bit because of Thanksgiving.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #762
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25,842
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A great new book just out, “The Plot Against the President. The True Story Of How Congressman Devin Nunes Uncovered the Biggest Political Scandal In U.S. History.” Shows very bad and corrupt people on the other side. Check it out!
I wonder who wrote that book?

In unrelated news, I think it's unquestionably a good thing that the political message from the Republicans at the moment is that it's wrong for a politician to use his or her position to advance the career of one of their children.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:39 AM   #763
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,536
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
In unrelated news, I think it's unquestionably a good thing that the political message from the Republicans at the moment is that it's wrong for a politician to use his or her position to advance the career of one of their children.
Heh. If only. You already know that they're firmly against any unbiased application of the "principles" that they forward, after all, I think. Much like how Don Jr, Kushner, Ivanka, and so on can try to attack Hunter Biden for potential nepotism, while being much more high-profile and accurate examples of such themselves.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:00 AM   #764
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 48,055
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
His act is going to cost him at least $10,000
Leaving him with a nice $21K in profit.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/tus...r-legal-bills/
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #765
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 2,161
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Leaving him with a nice $21K in profit.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/tus...r-legal-bills/
i wonder if these kinds of things are considered during the prosecution and sentencing. Seeing as a fine isn't really going to be an effective deterrent, a prison sentence would be the better approach.

Maybe they'll also add in his "i'd do it again" comment he posted on facebook immediately after bailing out.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #766
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

If Iran is able to turn over to the U.S. kidnapped former FBI Agent Robert A. Levinson, who has been missing in Iran for 12 years, it would be a very positive step. At the same time, upon information & belief, Iran is, & has been, enriching uranium. THAT WOULD BE A VERY BAD STEP!

A great new book just out, “The Plot Against the President. The True Story Of How Congressman Devin Nunes Uncovered the Biggest Political Scandal In U.S. History.” Shows very bad and corrupt people on the other side. Check it out!
Holy ****!!!!! There's a Magascum out there who is literate. Who'd have thought any of their kind were smart enough to write?!
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #767
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,450
Presidents normally observe Veterans Day by going to Arlington National Cemetery and laying a wreathe on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Trump is going to New York City to give a speech before the Veterans Day parade. Expect lots of crowing about how much he loves the military and they love him. The linked article has an interesting rundown of his anti-military activities, beyond the bone spurs, John McCain, and the Khans.

Quote:
In the early 1990s, while Trump was a high-rolling real estate baron in Manhattan, he pushed New York state legislators to put a cap on how many veterans should be allowed to hawk hot dogs and other foods outside his eponymous condo tower on Fifth Ave.

“While disabled veterans should be given every opportunity to earn a living, is it fair to do so to the detriment of the city as a whole or its tax paying citizens and businesses?”
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:08 AM   #768
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,563
Trump Tweets

So with one Rally by me at the end of the campaign, I lift the poll numbers of Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin by 19 points, he just misses, every other Republican in the Commonwealth wins big, and the Fake News blames me for a bad night! OK! By the way, Mississippi won everything!

Will be meeting with representatives of the Vaping industry, together with medical professionals and individual state representatives, to come up with an acceptable solution to the Vaping and E-cigarette dilemma. Children’s health & safety, together with jobs, will be a focus!

The lawyer for the Whistleblower takes away all credibility from this big Impeachment Scam! It should be ended and the Whistleblower, his lawyer and Corrupt politician Schiff should be investigared for fraud!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Today at 07:11 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:11 AM   #769
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,821
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

So with one Rally by me at the end of the campaign, I lift the poll numbers of Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin by 19 points, he just misses, every other Republican in the Commonwealth wins big, and the Fake News blames me for a bad night! OK! By the way, Mississippi won everything!
Delusional.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #770
TofuFighter
Master Poster
 
TofuFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,308
Edit... im going to stop now.

Last edited by TofuFighter; Today at 07:23 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #771
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,563
Trump Tweets

Shifty Adam Schiff will only release doctored transcripts. We haven’t even seen the documents and are restricted from (get this) having a lawyer. Republicans should put out their own transcripts! Schiff must testify as to why he MADE UP a statement from me, and read it to all!

“The Chinese say (about Trump’s Trade War & Tariffs), ‘he brought us to the table.’ This is the most prosperous economy the world has ever seen, and it’s going to be a very prosperous economy.” Jamie Dimon on @60Minutes Thank you President Trump & the Republican Party!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #772
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,765
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Presidents normally observe Veterans Day by going to Arlington National Cemetery and laying a wreathe on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Trump is going to New York City to give a speech before the Veterans Day parade. Expect lots of crowing about how much he loves the military and they love him. The linked article has an interesting rundown of his anti-military activities, beyond the bone spurs, John McCain, and the Khans.
Interesting, considering all he just said against New York City. But, I guess he wants a parade (for him!) instead of having to do something boring like laying a wreath, maybe even in the rain.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:31 AM   #773
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Presidents normally observe Veterans Day by going to Arlington National Cemetery and laying a wreathe on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Trump is going to New York City to give a speech before the Veterans Day parade.
IMO, Veterans day should focus on living veterans. Memorial day should be for honoring the dead soldiers.
bonzombiekitty is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #774
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Leaving him with a nice $21K in profit.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/tus...r-legal-bills/
$21k doesn't buy back your ability to legally hunt, rights to search and seizure, to vote, etc.

As a convicted felon, if I could have paid $21k to avoid having to explain the events of the dumbest night of my life, when I was 18, to every employer from then on. I'd easily do it. That money doesn't help all that much. Especially that little.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; Today at 07:59 AM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #775
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,832
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

So with one Rally by me at the end of the campaign, I lift the poll numbers of Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin by 19 points, he just misses, every other Republican in the Commonwealth wins big, and the Fake News blames me for a bad night! OK! By the way, Mississippi won everything!
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Delusional.
There was one poll that had Bevin down by 17 points. However, there were at least a half a dozen other polls that had it a dead heat. Trump likely had ZERO effect either way. But Trump as always picks his reality.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #776
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,832
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Leaving him with a nice $21K in profit.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/tus...r-legal-bills/
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
$21k doesn't buy back your ability to legally hunt, rights to search and seizure, to vote, etc.

As a convicted felon, if I could have paid $21k to avoid having to explain the events of the dumbest night of my life, when I was 18, to every employer from then on. I'd easily do it. That money doesn't help all that much. Especially that little.
1 to 10 years in prison and up to a $15,000 fine plus legal fees. Still it's Alabama where they have a history of letting off white hoodlums. And this doesn't add in civil liability as I would sue him not only for the damage to the balloon but the opportunity costs.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #777
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 6,842
Trump started the Vets parade today. The first time a sitting POTUS has done so. It was in NYC though, and as expected...

Quote:
As the president spoke, the sounds of nearby protesters blowing whistles and chanting “Lock him up!” could be heard.

The words “Impeach” and “Convict” could also be seen spelled out on posters put up in the windows of a nearby skyscraper overlooking Madison Square Park.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #778
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
I get so happy when I see and hear Trump being booed. Maybe the stupid bitch will learn his place and not show up to these events where decent people are.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #779
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,225
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Trump started the Vets parade today. The first time a sitting POTUS has done so. It was in NYC though, and as expected...
Honestly, not the time and place to protest Trump in my opinion.

Certainly unlikely to advance one's cause.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #780
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,371
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
At the same time, upon information & belief, Iran is, & has been, enriching uranium.


"upon information & belief"? That's an odd way of saying, "Iran told us exactly what they were doing".


And in other news,

Trump Jr. Gets Booed Out of His Own Book Event as White Nationalists Eat Their Own


Quote:
Donald Trump Jr. apparently failed to grasp the hypocrisy in refusing to answer questions for an event to promote his new book, Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us, which is dedicated to mocking liberals and their so-called political correctness.

But the president’s eldest son’s missteps were not lost on the audience at UCLA on Sunday, where his own supporters, frustrated with the lack of a Q&A opportunity, filled the event with incessant booing.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #781
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Honestly, not the time and place to protest Trump in my opinion.

Certainly unlikely to advance one's cause.
I can't imagine why that's the case, but to each their own. People can simultaneously condemn Trump vocally and support veterans. The two aren't tied together by any means, and it sounds like they just did it while he was on stage. They didn't interrupt the actual parade at all.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:31 AM   #782
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,382
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Wow, the arrogance.

This is just Trump and the GOP trying to distract the public from Trump's offenses. Turns out this wasn't just a phone call, it was a months long effort with multiple principles involved.
The bad news: there is actually a case to be made that the whistleblower report should not have moved forward to Congress, as it didn't involve an activity within the purview of the Director of National Intelligence (as head of all the intelligence communities, Trump can, by fiat, declare something within their purview or not) - at least that is the argument. Read the US code and parse it carefully. And yet the IG read it the other way. So a case can be made either way, apparently. Sometimes even insane folk can make conclusions that aren't insane.



The good news: the whistleblower report is moot, because Trump released his edited transcript of the call with Zelensky on his own, voluntarily. The whistleblower is irrelevant now.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #783
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 20,803
Listen, the fact that "Supporting the Veterans" literally only means "Using Veterans as capital in political debates" isn't exactly a secret among Veterans.

It's fine we can take it. We know nobody really cares about us, they just want to make sure everyone knows they care about us more then the other side.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #784
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,382
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Not that it's necessary, but William Saletan eviscerates the argument that Trump was actually trying to fight corruption.


https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...tion-lies.html
That makes perfect sense. The problem is that Trump, to his eternal condemnation, has weaponized an unthinking part of our electorate for which such logic is irrelevant.



Reality aint what it used to be.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #785
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,832
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The bad news: there is actually a case to be made that the whistleblower report should not have moved forward to Congress, as it didn't involve an activity within the purview of the Director of National Intelligence (as head of all the intelligence communities, Trump can, by fiat, declare something within their purview or not) - at least that is the argument. Read the US code and parse it carefully. And yet the IG read it the other way. So a case can be made either way, apparently. Sometimes even insane folk can make conclusions that aren't insane.

The good news: the whistleblower report is moot, because Trump released his edited transcript of the call with Zelensky on his own, voluntarily. The whistleblower is irrelevant now.
This is like saying Article 2 of the Constitution says the President can do what he wants. You can make an argument for anything. That doesn't mean your argument has any merit.

I could make the argument that Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Connelly must have a threeway with me. But just because I can make that argument doesn't mean anyone other than me should agree.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #786
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,662
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Honestly, not the time and place to protest Trump in my opinion.

Certainly unlikely to advance one's cause.
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I can't imagine why that's the case, but to each their own. People can simultaneously condemn Trump vocally and support veterans. The two aren't tied together by any means, and it sounds like they just did it while he was on stage. They didn't interrupt the actual parade at all.
THIS!

IMO, it actually IS an appropriate time and venue.

Previous Presidents have attended Memorial Day service because they believed it was their duty to do so and to support those who have sacrificed so much for their country.

Trump attends them because he knows he has to. To do otherwise would be terrible optics. He has attended purely to benefit his own personal and political standing.

Almost everything Trump does is only for the benefit of Trump - the fact that he ripped of his own so-called charity, that raise money for Veterans, and used that money as a slush fund for his own election campaign pretty much tells us where his priorities lie!
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; Today at 12:13 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #787
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,662
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
"upon information & belief"? That's an odd way of saying, "Iran told us exactly what they were doing".


And in other news,

Trump Jr. Gets Booed Out of His Own Book Event as White Nationalists Eat Their Own
The chaos on Sunday is the kind of thing you should expect when young conservatives are trained to be at the front lines of the culture wars, armed with “fake news” chants and hashtag-ready taunts.

And as conservatives continue to try to distance themselves from the right’s ugliest faction, don’t expect the Trump Jr.’s of the world to acknowledge their own direct role in creating it.

Indeed!
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #788
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 86,023
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There was one poll that had Bevin down by 17 points. However, there were at least a half a dozen other polls that had it a dead heat. Trump likely had ZERO effect either way. But Trump as always picks his reality.
And if doesn't find it in the lot, he creates it.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #789
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 20,803
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And if doesn't find it in the lot, he creates it.
To the point that I'm honestly confused as to why Trump bothers to do anything outside of complete made up from whole cloth reality denial.

I'm not being funny when I say Trump is so comfortable with out right full on lying I wonder why he bothers with things like spin and cherry picking.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #790
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,563
Trump can't sue New York State in DC federal court to stop release of tax returns, judge says

Quote:
A federal judge has decided that President Donald Trump can't sue New York state officials in a Washington, DC, court, at this time to stop the release of his tax returns.

The case is one of many where Trump or his administration have asked federal judges to intervene before House Democrats obtain Trump's financial records. In this case, Trump had sued New York state and the House to stop Congress from requesting his tax returns under a new New York state law. Congress hasn't yet requested the tax returns under the law.
It's possible Trump could file a similar lawsuit with another court, such as in New York, or later in an attempt to prevent the request from Congress.
The judge in Monday's decision, Carl Nichols, is a Trump appointee to the federal bench in Washington.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/11/p...rns/index.html
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #791
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump can't sue New York State in DC federal court to stop release of tax returns, judge says

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/11/p...rns/index.html
I do rather enjoy that Trump is getting laughed out of court with more and more regularity as he tries these hail Mary attempts to stop justice from happening.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #792
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,821
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I do rather enjoy that Trump is getting laughed out of court with more and more regularity as he tries these hail Mary attempts to stop justice from happening.
And yet the goal of delay, delay, delay is being realized.

For now, anyway.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #793
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,382
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This is like saying Article 2 of the Constitution says the President can do what he wants. You can make an argument for anything. That doesn't mean your argument has any merit.

I could make the argument that Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Connelly must have a threeway with me. But just because I can make that argument doesn't mean anyone other than me should agree.
If Trump is in charge of intelligence agencies, as the head executive of the Executive branch, and the US code says that the urgent concern of a whistleblower has to be under the purview of the DNI, which is part of the intelligence agencies, that argument may be wrong, but at least it makes an actual argument, as opposed to most of the other arguments Trumpistas make which are not even in the ball park.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #794
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,985
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Honestly, not the time and place to protest Trump in my opinion.

Certainly unlikely to advance one's cause.
Trump defiled the event by his presence. The crowd was right to express their displeasure.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #795
Tero
Graduate Poster
 
Tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North American prairie
Posts: 1,628
Jeff Tweets:

Jeff Tiedrich
@itsJeffTiedrich
remember during all the Benghazi investigations when Obama blocked access to documents and refused to let Hillary testify? of course you don't. Obama handed over everything and Hillary sat for 11 hours straight, because they had nothing to hide and they aren't ******* man-babies
https://mobile.twitter.com/itsJeffTi...62519359574017
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.