ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th October 2017, 03:31 PM   #121
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Imagine if any of you can, what it means to a genuinely psychic child to be brought up by people like you. At some point if they continued to see spirits, you would probably take them to a psychiatrist, who would probably classify them with a mental disease and put them on medication. Then they would not only have their own family treating them as mad but professionals too.

In my experience this entire forum is cluttered with people that have no idea what the truth really is, and I hope your children survive your ignorance.
That said, if a "spirit" world exists that we can't see or measure at this point in time then it is equally dangerous to reinforce that child's perception that she is psychic and seeing dead people. You don't know what she saw, or what forms it could take if she is seeing something, I'm just saying. To encourage this kind of thing could also be just as dangerous for this child in ways we don't understand as it is to totally discount her experience by telling her it's a hallucination or imaginary.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 16th October 2017 at 03:50 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM   #122
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Indeed.
I called and he came. From henceforth I shall be known as, Welshdean the invoker of gods.

Watch this.

Oh great pharoah, immortal son of Amenhotep, rise from your slumber Akenhaten, I command thee.
It's like you're a psychic. This one that didn't work doesn't really count. It doesn't always just work that way. Norse gods are a bit more pliable, while Egyptian gods aren't allowed to just prove their existence on the whim of any one man.
Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM   #123
Lurch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There is the matter that the spirit world are not allowed to directly interfere with our free will, and proving they exist would do that. As far as the spirit world is concerned we on earth are meant to work things out for ourselves.
We incarnate for experience sake and the struggle of life is how we evolve.

If we knew for certain there was a God or an afterlife we would be inhibited in our actions, but it is by our actions we learn by trial and error, through karma over many incarnations.

The spirit world do help people with inspiration, and often people are given ideas they think were their own, but they were actually being inspired.

A medium once gave me a message, and she said, "the spirit world inspired you to paint a blue and white painting, but you did not think much of it".
That was entirely true, and I do not see how a medium could know I painted, let alone that I had recently done a painting in blue and white that I was not satisfied with.
So, spirits are not allowed to interfere with our free will, yet they can "inspire" us. And you have had a spirit directly communicate to you, using language no less! I see a profound conflict here, reading as a desire to have one's cake and eat it too.

Seems these spirits have an impish quality, and the ability to know whom to reveal themselves without at the same time providing evidence of their existence. You know, so as to avoid messing with our free will.

What hogwash.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:36 AM   #124
Lurch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
IDK, Maybe she doesnt want to boast or seem cocky. Or sound like a smart ass.

Each time she said:

Having eggplant ? (yes)

Using blue paint ? (yes)

Is it red? (yes)
How about the times she asked a question that didn't result in a hit, but you forgot? Remembering the 'hits' more selectively because they impress leads to false statistics upon which to hang a proposition. We are all frighteningly prone to this source of bias.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM   #125
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by poblob14 View Post
For a couple of days, yeth, but then the doctor gave me thome ointment and it felt better.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #126
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
How about the times she asked a question that didn't result in a hit, but you forgot? Remembering the 'hits' more selectively because they impress leads to false statistics upon which to hang a proposition. We are all frighteningly prone to this source of bias.
If the answer was 'No' then obviously she was just making conversation and asking questions out of her own normal interest. It's only when the answer is 'Yes' that the question becomes a statement and flawless communication from world's beyond the ken of Man.

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; Yesterday at 09:25 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #127
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
It's like you're a psychic. This one that didn't work doesn't really count. It doesn't always just work that way. Norse gods are a bit more pliable, while Egyptian gods aren't allowed to just prove their existence on the whim of any one man.
The gods are not your plaything you know. The spirits won't be tested on the whim of man. As one minor prophet said about some minor nobody god 'And Jesus answered him, “It is said, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'
Any way, The Aten is a strange 'un, he and his cohort operate under some sort of pyramid scheme.
Ross: The lesbian and the monkey. Sounds like one of Aesop's fables.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal