ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #641
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
My pacemaker/defibrillator communicates wirelessly with outside monitors via magnetic pulses (or "frequency"). Stop pretending you have any idea what you're talking about.
Did you not know that was why some people run screaming from you grabbing their heads and shouting "turn it bloody down I heard you the first time!"
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #642
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The idea of science not being able to detect these emissions is laughable in the year that the Nobel prize in physics went to Rainer Weiss, Kip Thorne, and Barry Barsham.
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #643
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes, well, my long dead mother had 2 of those in her time having had three heart attacks and a quad bypass.

I'm on my fourth.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Did you not know that was why some people run screaming from you grabbing their heads and shouting "turn it bloody down I heard you the first time!"

I asked the technician once how fast the data was being transferred and was surprised that it was only equivalent to 300 baud. That's as slow as my first modem twenty-five years ago.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #644
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I'm on my fourth.

I asked the technician once how fast the data was being transferred and was surprised that it was only equivalent to 300 baud. That's as slow as my first modem twenty-five years ago.
It is some years ago, now, but from memory, that is intentional due to data loss considerations. As explained to me at the time, Voyager 1 and 2 are giving far less than that, why? to minimise data loss in the available channel.

In fairness, that was some 16 years ago, and the channel was over copper pair at the time. Things have likely moved along in the interim. In my experience, while the med tech is astonishing, it is also a lap behind due to the necessity for robust reliability.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #645
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is called gobbledegook.
Meh...maybe.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #646
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
In my experience, while the med tech is astonishing, it is also a lap behind due to the necessity for robust reliability.

Yes, the need for rock solid reliability is an important factor. I was told another one is the workings of the FDA itself. A medical device has to go through much the same testing as a drug, which is a lengthy process. By the time it's over, the technology is already old. But then it can't be easily updated either, because that would require new testing and licensing (on a shorter but still inconvenient schedule).

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal