ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, they are releasing a book.

I heard about this on George Hrab's podcast and thought others here may be interested in pre-ordering it.

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: How to Know What's Really Real in a World Increasingly Full of Fake

I stopped listening to the podcast some time ago, but this sounds interesting.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I heard about this on George Hrab's podcast and thought others here may be interested in pre-ordering it.

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: How to Know What's Really Real in a World Increasingly Full of Fake

I stopped listening to the podcast some time ago, but this sounds interesting.
Yes. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Dr. Keith. Now, hopefully, everyone on this forum can stare at my name for the next 20 days!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yes. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Dr. Keith. Now, hopefully, everyone on this forum can stare at my name for the next 20 days!
I'm confused.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 01:44 PM   #4
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'm confused.
Because the 'last post' on this sub-board won't change for that long (I'm not sure if it disappears from the main page when it gets archived, but that could be the time frame for that if a thread isn't posted in).
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:57 AM   #5
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Because the 'last post' on this sub-board won't change for that long.

Unless somebody else, in this case first Dr. Keith, then you, and now I, ruin it for him!
(I think this one lasted for a couple of months - much to my surprise!)

By the way, I look forward to the book!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 2nd September 2018 at 01:58 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:47 AM   #6
kellyb
Philosopher

I loathe the podcast format. Can't stand it.

I like the SGttU folks well enough, but I'm not really sure I need anyone else's advice on evaluating evidence at this point in my life. I like Rebecca Watson, too, but I think I could maybe give her a few tips on evaluating stuff like evo psych.
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Swordfishtrombone
Master Poster

Recently bought the audio version on Audible - it was very good!

The sort of book you hope you'd get people who don't identify as skeptics to read. Even though most of the content wasn't new to me, it was a great refresher on skepticism, and the presentation was such that I bet most people would find the content interesting, whether or not they were skeptics.
Swordfishtrombone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe