ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags climate change , CNY events , CNYSkeptics , nuclear energy , Syracuse events

Old 5th December 2018, 08:48 AM   #1
hardindr
Thinker

Exclamation "Carbon fee and nuclear power: The Batman and Robin of fighting climate change"

"Carbon fee and nuclear power: The Batman and Robin of fighting climate change"

Presentation by Ethan Bodnaruk

Sponsored by CNY Skeptics

Time: Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 7:00 PM EST
Edited by kmortis:  Edited date so as to not force potential attendees to violate the known laws of physics

Where: Manlius Library, One Arkie Albanese Ave, Manlius, NY, 13104, USA

Event is Free and Open to the Public

Light refreshments will be served

Please contact 1-315-636-6533 or email info@cnyskeptics.org for more information

Presentation Summary:

We are in danger of missing a crucial window of action to limit the negative effects of climate change. Popular calls for 100% renewable energy can mislead and distract from two necessary and underrepresented solutions: a carbon fee and nuclear power. We’ll dive into the facts and numbers on these solutions, why they are needed, and how we can advocate for the bipartisan (!) Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act (HR 7173) which was introduced in the House of Representatives in November 2018.

Presenter Bio:

Ethan Bodnaruk is a wastewater engineer with Master's degrees in nuclear engineering and ecological engineering. He is an active member of Citizens' Climate Lobby, a non-partisan organization whose aim is to build the political will for Congress to pass a revenue neutral carbon fee to mitigate climate change. He is an advocate for open and transparent public discussion of science, policy, and current events. He considers himself a Christian Atheist and is working on a book about the synthesis of science and spirituality for the 21st century. He blogs at www.ethanbodnaruk.com.

Central New York Skeptics (CNY Skeptics) is a community organization dedicated to the promotion of science and reason, the investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims, and the improvement of standards for science education and critical-thinking skills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headshot_Bodnaruk.jpg (22.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by kmortis; 10th December 2018 at 09:55 AM.
hardindr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by hardindr View Post

Time: Wednesday, January 16, 2018, 7:00 PM EST

If this is indeed scheduled for January 16, 2018, it may be difficult for most people (apart from those with access to old-fashioned English phone boxes) to attend.

Would CNY Skeptics be willing to re-schedule this for January 16, 2019, to give more people a chance to attend?
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 06:43 PM   #3
hardindr
Thinker

I thought I changed the date, if a moderator would like to delete the original post, I will repost it with the correct date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10th December 2018, 02:05 AM   #4
Nova Land
/
Tagger

There's no need to ask a mod to delete the original post. What you should do instead is click the report button on the opening post (i.e. the exclamation point inside a triangle at the bottom left of the post) which will open up a report form. In the report, say that you accidentally got the date wrong and ask a mod to edit the post to change the 2018 to 2019. They will generally be glad to do it.

Oh -- and if you offer a sufficiently large quantity of chocolate as a bribe, and if the mod who reads your report is [name redacted] , she may be willing to do the edit without leaving a last edited by line at the bottom of the post. That way it will look as if you had it right to begin with and I was just imagining things or playing some silly joke when I posted that you had the date wrong.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 07:58 AM   #5
hardindr
Thinker

Thanks

Okay, I submitted a report. Thank you for telling me how to do so.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events