ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 12th December 2018, 07:42 AM   #1401
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Strolling through the woods on a squatch hunt with a head full of THC would be a blast, but $750 for a few pre-rolls is too pricey.
True. I'd want an oz of it and an array of fancy sandwiches.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 07:43 AM   #1402
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
Bigfoot is like cancer, according to one convention-goer...but not the way you might think:
That's beautiful, lol.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 07:45 AM   #1403
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
Bobo is beloved by the footers. I have never met him but he is supposedly a very nice guy. He was once upon a time a smart guy but had some sort of serious head trauma that rendered him...well...not so smart. He has lost a huge amount of weight since the last show was taped and I’m told he looks like a different person. He is at present trying to put together a Bigfoot/snipe hunt venture.
He seems like a likable chap, tbh. A bit of a melon-head, but generally seems like someone I'd have a beer with and chat about Renae.

Old 12th December 2018, 07:46 AM   #1404
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
"We have no idea what could have made that sound. To this day we still believe it was a Sasquatch..."

Talk about jumping to conclusions, unfounded leaps, wishful thinking, etc.
jumping to conclusions, unfounded leaps, wishful thinking, etc...

BIGFOOT: the Major Motion Picture.

Old 12th December 2018, 09:01 AM   #1405
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Anyway, I was wondering, do you know which Bigfooter started the trope of 'Type Specimen' with regard to Bigfoot research?
It wouldn't surprise me if I'm guilty for having started it in conversations at the BFF. It was my goal early on to challenge believers to produce something verifiable.

Pine's hair-splitting notwithstanding, when you explain to 'footers that you need a "specimen", they'll immediately reply that they have produced hundreds of suitable specimens: photos and casts of footprints, hairs, poo, game cam photos, audio recordings, Skookum cast, and the coup de grace, the PGF. When you attempt to illustrate everything that prevents items such as those being of sufficient quality to count as a specimen, you can then be cast as moving the goalposts.

To place those goalposts somewhere they wouldn't ever need relocation and as shorthand for a specimen that's actually independently and unambiguously verifiable as what it's reputed to be, I found myself increasingly relying on "type specimen" as my preferred term. The idea was that once there was a cataloged piece of evidence curated in a reputable museum that had been ascribed a binomial, published, and recognized by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature then I'd be convinced that bigfoots were real. Whether that evidence was a flap of skin, a pinky bone, eDNA, or an entire carcass was immaterial.

I suspect that in an alternate universe that includes real bigfoots, those guys on the hit TV series Killing Bigfoot could shoot a bigfoot and scientific examination could reveal that it was an extant Gigantopithecus or something. Under such a scenario, the fresh body would be a great specimen but it would not be the type specimen/holotype because what it had already been described and named.
The Shrike is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal