IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th June 2020, 07:12 PM   #2081
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
But whoever writes the test plan should at least talk to the users, when coming up with workflows to test. My last implemenation project had a horrific testing because the idiots writing the test plans knew nothing about the workflow, and would order the testers (who were the builders anyway, but by making us follow undeviatingly from their mighty test plan supposedly that was cancelled out) to do the test plans exactly as written no matter how nonsensical or impossible they were.

My favorite was a week-long argument trying to get them to understand that even the best clinics aren't doing liver transplants as outpatient procedures, and that's why it's impossible to schedule one that way in our system. They insisted it was shoddy build rather than legitimate medical practice that made that not work. They also didn't understand why we made it impossible to schedule dead people for future follow-up appointments. No offense, public, but after you die your doctors don't care whether your weight is in an acceptable BMI range. After death you are allowed to let yourself go. Most people lose weight postmortem, gradually if buried and a lot at once if cremated.
"Talk to the USERS"? Whoever in Hell does that at any stage of a project? My wife in her working career as a user lived through three complete rewrites of the system her department used. Each one was more user unfriendly than the previous. At the time number three was launched productivity became so bad that management rolled thing back to the previous version (and, considering what that must have cost in human resources, this illustrates how bad it was) and started over. This time she said, "We had some guys come and talk to us and to see what we do; that's never happened before!"

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 17th June 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 09:46 PM   #2082
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nothing in all of history has consumed as much paper as trying to go paperless.
Actually, I disagree. A lot of business-to-business and business-to-consumer transactions still use paper because it's permanent (save for fire,) not subject to a hard drive failure somewhere, and has legal status.

Where the "paperless" has occurred is in internal company operations. I started working with computers professionally over thirty years ago. The norm back then was printed reports created overnight from batch runs on the mainframe, usually coming off a high-speed printer on continuous fan-fold paper. The operator would have to separate the reports and provide for distribution throughout the office(s). I recall printing reports for hedge fund balances, company structure, inventory levels, sales numbers, profit and loss, accounts receivable and payable, balance sheets, etc.

These days batch runs on the mainframe are far less common. A lot of business happens on "real time" computer systems. Daily printed reports aren't needed because the information they once contained is now available instantly on the computer screen.

As a programmer, it's been absolute ages since I've sat down with a printed copy of source code and a printed core dump or abend report. The source code's now on my nice big monitor; I typically use 132 columns by 50 rows (6,600 characters total.) No more 80 columns by 25 rows, of which only 23 were usable (1,840 characters, or a mere 28% the size I use now.) That small screen gave a much smaller "window" into the source and was why printouts were nice to have. Not to mention the fact I can have multiple editor windows open at once to see disparate files.

On the consumer side, there's still a fair amount of paper, although more companies are offering paperless statements. I can go online to my bank and see the last several years of transactions, so I no longer need monthly statements. My credit cards are the same way. I still get paper for licenses, insurance, and taxes. And I appreciate paper invoices and receipts when I buy something.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:52 AM   #2083
Wudang
BOFH

Yep, when I started in 1984 they were converting the highspeed printers to use contiinuous roll of paper taller than me as they couldn't load the boxes of paper fast enough. One report came to 30 boxes of paper per copy. My job as a trainee was to install and configure an online report viewer (IBM's RMDS).
One of the guys in the printroom started riding along with the reports in the van to check at all the offices if they still wanted them and he was greeted like a hero. The offices had been trying to stop these reports for years.
It taught me a lot, like find out what the real situation is, how to document for users (I had a pal who used the system and we stayed late one night writing a guide) as well as lots of technical stuff. Viewing usage stats for that 30-box report almost nobody ever looked at more than the first page.

Nowadays, well I've been trying to get people off sodding Word for ages. If you use a tool designed to output to paper and don't teach people how to optimize it for online viewing then they'll print it.

People do what's easy or what they know. At one office admin complained that people kept using paper towels instead of the hand dryers and couldn't figure out why. We kept telling them the paper towels were beside the sinks and the dryers across the room so people washed their hands and the towels were right there. No thought required.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:00 AM   #2084
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

One day last year I came into the office to find my boss stacking four hundred large boxes full of documents into a row of empty cubes. "I thought we were trying to go paperless?" I said. "This is us trying to go paperless. Before we tried we had a warehouse for this."

Sadly, a great deal of our current paperlessness is because people scan paper documents into the system as images. Which is great for users wanting to read those documents online, but try explaining to executives why we can't pull data from those documents via querying and reporting. "But they ARE in the system!" "Yes, but as images. The system doesn't know how to read!"
Old 18th June 2020, 07:06 AM   #2085
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Yep, when I started in 1984 they were converting the highspeed printers to use contiinuous roll of paper taller than me as they couldn't load the boxes of paper fast enough. One report came to 30 boxes of paper per copy. My job as a trainee was to install and configure an online report viewer (IBM's RMDS).
One of the guys in the printroom started riding along with the reports in the van to check at all the offices if they still wanted them and he was greeted like a hero. The offices had been trying to stop these reports for years.
It taught me a lot, like find out what the real situation is, how to document for users (I had a pal who used the system and we stayed late one night writing a guide) as well as lots of technical stuff. Viewing usage stats for that 30-box report almost nobody ever looked at more than the first page.
Heh. At a former job I was the only person who ran reports, I had to put the results into Excel and email them to the users. The list of "required" monthly reports ballooned from thirty to two hundred. I suspected some of them weren't being used, but the users insisted they still needed absolutely all of them. I think they felt it was a power thing, to admit to not needing a report was to admit to being less important? So I'd occasionally send out a few completely empty Excel spreadsheets named with the name of the report, as if I'd forgotten to paste the data into the template. If nobody responded "hey, this is blank" it proved they hadn't opened it and thus didn't actually need it.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:09 AM   #2086
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've literally watched an old woman type something up in her computer, print it out, walk it over to another old woman, and watch that old woman type what the first old woman typed into her computer... into the same program who's entire point is to not do that and then throw the paper away. And they'll do it constantly throughout the day instead of just... sending the info to them using the computer.

Basically we have about... 40% of our userbase that still doesn't grasp the concept of "a network" and treat their medical records software as just a... word processer.

I'm honestly thinking this company is going to be shocked with how much pointless, inefficient work takes places when they old women start stepping down/quitting/retiring.

Like you could replace them at a 3 to 1 ratio with someone who's capable of functionally using a computer efficiently.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:10 AM   #2087
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sadly, a great deal of our current paperlessness is because people scan paper documents into the system as images. Which is great for users wanting to read those documents online, but try explaining to executives why we can't pull data from those documents via querying and reporting. "But they ARE in the system!" "Yes, but as images. The system doesn't know how to read!"
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we're on the cusp of Optical Character Recognition finally getting good enough to break through the barrier of being good enough to depend on and that stops being a thing.

We maintain a person just to type in physical bank checks.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:21 AM   #2088
Wudang
BOFH

If sufficiently irked with someone's crappy screenshot I would sometimes load it in OneNote which had quite a decent OCR and then send them the text back and ask them to confirm. When they did I'd reply with "sorry our problem database contains no hits for 'exce1'".

"I have a problem."
"Sorry this is IT support, not genetics."
Old 18th June 2020, 11:53 AM   #2089
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we're on the cusp of Optical Character Recognition finally getting good enough to break through the barrier of being good enough to depend on and that stops being a thing.
Last year I was at a demo where a scanner could not only OCR the doc but translate it, with about 98% efficiency. The tech is there, the will is not.

We maintain a person just to type in physical bank checks.
I'm a consultant and the only cheque I've handled this year was from a USAian law firm. No-one in Europe uses them.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by zooterkin; 18th June 2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Fixing quote tag
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 03:53 PM   #2090
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Cheques are still relatively common in Canada. Provincial government departments still mail them out, although the federal government prefers to use direct deposit. I'm running a small business assisting people with computer (and other electronic equipment) issues. Payment is generally in cash or cheque, primarily because doing a bank transfer isn't all that straightforward here. Plus it sometimes costs some money; for example a transfer using Interac costs me a dollar.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:04 PM   #2091
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Last year I was at a demo where a scanner could not only OCR the doc but translate it, with about 98% efficiency. The tech is there, the will is not.
98% is worthless for an OCR. That means that I have to edit something on every couple of lines of text.

Quote:
I'm a consultant and the only cheque I've handled this year was from a USAian law firm. No-one in Europe uses them.
US law firms tend to be picky about payments. Firms under twenty attorneys may have only two people even authorized to sign checks. The owners like to see every penny that is sent out.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:45 PM   #2092
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
<snip>

US law firms tend to be picky about payments. Firms under twenty attorneys may have only two people even authorized to sign checks. The owners like to see every penny that is sent out.

Are physical checks the only way they can monitor the disbursement of funds?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:00 PM   #2093
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
No, but it is the way they like to. It requires them to stop, think about the recipient, the amount of the check, and the justification presented for the expense before they actually put pen to paper.

It is a habit built up from years of reviewing work from subordinates in the same manner.

I've had talks with several firm leaders that say the day you aren't signing the checks is the day the spending goes through the roof. It's a mindset.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:15 AM   #2094
Wudang
BOFH

I've had talks with several firm leaders that say the day you aren't signing the checks is the day the spending goes through the roof. It's a mindset.
Are they worried that if it was on a computer and they had to click "OK" they might not read the details?
Old 19th June 2020, 05:28 AM   #2095
Armitage72
Philosopher

98% is worthless for an OCR. That means that I have to edit something on every couple of lines of text.

I regularly work with documents on the EPA's Pesticide Product and Label System website, which contains PDFs of the labels of every pesticide product registered for use in the United States. A few years ago, they switched from PDFS of scanned images of the labels to OCR PDFs. I thought "Great, we can copy and paste text onto our labels when our suppliers' master labels update." It didn't quite work out that way, although it's gotten better over the last two years. Some of them still produce blocks of gibberish as recently as late last year.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 05:31 AM   #2096
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'll assume 98% is roughly better than a 68 year old woman doing that slow, deliberate one finger "look and peck" typing is going to do, so it would still be a net win.
Old 19th June 2020, 07:00 AM   #2097
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I had to call Comcast Business support to T/S a connectivity issue.

They have literally added fake "typing on a keyboard sounds" in the background to their automated troubleshooting fake voice. Like literally robot lady will like ask for your account number then they play fake keyboard typing sounds as if she is literally typing it into a computer.
Old 19th June 2020, 07:29 AM   #2098
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Think of it like this. They could have added sounds of:

Quote:
a 68 year old woman doing that slow, deliberate one finger "look and peck" typing
Old 19th June 2020, 07:51 AM   #2099
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I regularly work with documents on the EPA's Pesticide Product and Label System website, which contains PDFs of the labels of every pesticide product registered for use in the United States. A few years ago, they switched from PDFS of scanned images of the labels to OCR PDFs. I thought "Great, we can copy and paste text onto our labels when our suppliers' master labels update." It didn't quite work out that way, although it's gotten better over the last two years. Some of them still produce blocks of gibberish as recently as late last year.
So pretty much like the interns in the department have managed to do for decades - technology really is catching up!
Old 19th June 2020, 07:53 AM   #2100
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

They have literally added fake "typing on a keyboard sounds" in the background to their automated troubleshooting fake voice. Like literally robot lady will like ask for your account number then they play fake keyboard typing sounds as if she is literally typing it into a computer.
Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Think of it like this. They could have added sounds of:
The reality - go to 2:22:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 19th June 2020, 08:16 AM   #2101
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Are they worried that if it was on a computer and they had to click "OK" they might not read the details?
I really don't know. But there is certainly a mindset in most law offices that every decision needs to be papered and every paper needs a file. The Paperless Law Office is very easy in concept and damn near impossible in practice.

And I am not saying this from upon high. I have worked remotely for most of my clients for over 10 years. None of them have required paper documentation of the work I do for them, and all of the work could be retrieved from multiple electronic sources and backups of those sources. And yet my office is covered in mounds and stacks of paper and I am routinely printing and scanning stuff. There are certain things that I simply do better on paper, or at least I think I do.

Old 19th June 2020, 08:20 AM   #2102
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'll assume 98% is roughly better than a 68 year old woman doing that slow, deliberate one finger "look and peck" typing is going to do, so it would still be a net win.
I grew up working around women who were using dos versions of wordperfect for stuff that we now use databases for, so I won't jump on that train.

Old 19th June 2020, 08:21 AM   #2103
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've never understood the "Paper is more secure" thing.

My physical signature is a random squiggle that even I can barely recognize. My digital signature is a 256-bit public key / private key authentication.

I can tell you if an e-mail was delivered, to who, and what time they at least opened it, and if it was forward in some instances.

A fax? "Well it got put in this machine and then it maybe appeared on another machine and after that I couldn't tell you what happened to it."

I can tell you who reads a document on a file server. I can't tell you who reads a document on a bulletin board.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:19 AM   #2104
malbui
Beauf

My physical signature is a random squiggle that even I can barely recognize. My digital signature is a 256-bit public key / private key authentication.

I can tell you if an e-mail was delivered, to who, and what time they at least opened it, and if it was forward in some instances.

A fax? "Well it got put in this machine and then it maybe appeared on another machine and after that I couldn't tell you what happened to it."

I can tell you who reads a document on a file server. I can't tell you who reads a document on a bulletin board.
Back in the day when I was doing my chartered accountancy exams in London, a frequent topic for questions in the law paper was on the legal status of sending and receiving faxes. If a message containing a signed contract was picked up from the receiving machine by an office cleaner, was that sufficient to count as delivery and receipt, that kind of thing.

I never understood any of it in detail.

On the payment by cheque thing, my organisation's monthly payment run consists of several hundred thousand payments for a total of roughly $5 billion. I'm so glad we're completely electronic .
Old 19th June 2020, 10:53 AM   #2105
Modified
Philosopher

But probably good enough for a text search. I keep all my personal and business records that started on paper or image files as searchable pdf. For any tools or equipment I buy, I download the manual (almost always available) and convert to searchable pdf if necessary. My "filing cabinet" that contains things for which a physical copy is needed is a stack of files about an inch and a half deep.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:11 PM   #2106
catsmate
No longer the 1

The translation was 98% correct, the OCR, from printed matter, was perfect.

This wasn't a small firm and the cheque was computer printed.
In the UK, Ireland, Switzerland and Germany (to take the last half-year or so) they manage EFTs quite well.
The USA is the only place I've enountered cheques at all recently.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:13 PM   #2107
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hell no. Paper cheques are far easier to abuse than properly configured EFTs, which can be easily set up for automatic notification of multiple people.
Old 19th June 2020, 01:15 PM   #2108
catsmate
No longer the 1

Aren't you glad that the machines take such trouble to indulge your human prejudices?

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
So pretty much like the interns in the department have managed to do for decades - technology really is catching up!
Truly there have been great strides in artificial stupidity in recent years.
Old 19th June 2020, 01:17 PM   #2109
catsmate
No longer the 1

It's not, but many technically underskilled people believe it is.
Old 19th June 2020, 05:00 PM   #2110
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I really don't know. But there is certainly a mindset in most law offices that every decision needs to be papered and every paper needs a file. The Paperless Law Office is very easy in concept and damn near impossible in practice.

And I am not saying this from upon high. I have worked remotely for most of my clients for over 10 years. None of them have required paper documentation of the work I do for them, and all of the work could be retrieved from multiple electronic sources and backups of those sources. And yet my office is covered in mounds and stacks of paper and I am routinely printing and scanning stuff. There are certain things that I simply do better on paper, or at least I think I do.

On my first read I took this to mean that you are printing documents from your computer and then scanning those printed documents back into your computer.

I expect this is a mistaken assumption.

It is, isn't it?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 07:44 AM   #2111
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Back in the 90's I took the engineering lab I was responsible for paperless. The technician simply had to verify the reading was acceptable by clicking on an acceptance button. However, what we found was people, once they got into a flow of accepting a number of readings, would just tend to click past problematic readings. So we had to reintroduce paper just to have the tech write down each reading. Not only did it slow things down so you didn't tend to get just a reflexive approval click but it made the tech more cognoscente of the actual reading value by having to write it down.
Old 20th June 2020, 05:11 PM   #2112
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Back in the 90's I took the engineering lab I was responsible for paperless. The technician simply had to verify the reading was acceptable by clicking on an acceptance button. However, what we found was people, once they got into a flow of accepting a number of readings, would just tend to click past problematic readings. So we had to reintroduce paper just to have the tech write down each reading. Not only did it slow things down so you didn't tend to get just a reflexive approval click but it made the tech more cognoscente of the actual reading value by having to write it down.

How much less cognizant do you think they would have been if they had to type the reading into a computer instead of using pen and paper?

Old 21st June 2020, 05:44 AM   #2113
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

How much less cognizant do you think they would have been if they had to type the reading into a computer instead of using pen and paper?

Much less cognizant. Not of the numbers but of the environment as that would've meant typing the number back into the computer giving you the number. At least getting the reading from some equipment and writing it down is what they were use to doing. The readings would have then been entered into the computer when the test was done and the report being written.

Based on the number of readings taken over the span of a given test, part of the paperless effort was to eliminate transcription errors.
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:34 AM   #2114
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Christ, what is with these people? Another roadblock in the same project, and this one's even stupider. Basically they are demanding particular codes appear in each line of data, and say they'll reject any line that doesn't have those codes. The issue is simply that we don't have those codes for this data: by its very nature this data is the data that doesn't have those codes. The data that has those codes gets sent to them elsewhere. The point of the project is to close the gaps by sending them the data they've been missing until now.

But they think they need to use the same criteria for this as they have for what they already get, even though it's that criteria that stops this from being included in that already!

I've explained it several times already but they just. don't. get. it. We have another call tomorrow in which I'll have to go over why excluding all the data results in an empty file and there not being a point in building anything to automatically generate empty files.
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:08 PM   #2115
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Christ, what is with these people? Another roadblock in the same project, and this one's even stupider. Basically they are demanding particular codes appear in each line of data, and say they'll reject any line that doesn't have those codes. The issue is simply that we don't have those codes for this data: by its very nature this data is the data that doesn't have those codes. The data that has those codes gets sent to them elsewhere. The point of the project is to close the gaps by sending them the data they've been missing until now.

But they think they need to use the same criteria for this as they have for what they already get, even though it's that criteria that stops this from being included in that already!

I've explained it several times already but they just. don't. get. it. We have another call tomorrow in which I'll have to go over why excluding all the data results in an empty file and there not being a point in building anything to automatically generate empty files.
Could it be that your explanations are not conveying the intended communication because you are not allowing yourself to use the full array of your vast verbal and written toolkit?

How many times has Dame Judi Dench been referenced as a patient or soggy bottom as a condition? Have every one of the Golden girls made an appearance in your explanations or have you been restricting yourself to just Blanche? Have you only been using one color of glitter? (I hated asking that insulting question just as much as you hated reading it. Let's just say we are all sorry.)

Old 22nd June 2020, 04:11 PM   #2116
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And I got an email about the one piece that did get finished, tested, and moved into production...now they want to add another field. One of the ones that's literally impossible. And can they just re-open the original ticket that got closed because it was finished and we gave them everything they asked for and they signed documents agreeing that was so?

I told them no, it would be a new ticket, and it would be closed immediately because what is being asked for we can't provide.

Frankly, if I were even at the office I'd seriously consider storming out. It's hard to do that when you're working from home, though.
Old 22nd June 2020, 07:23 PM   #2117
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I've been told that if a T1 calls on the escalation line I should get them to transfer the call, but so many calls are teaching opportunities. I've had at least three T1s call today with issues that they can resolve on first call, but didn't know how to. Well, now they know. That gets the first-contact call resolution up, and that's a Good Thing, right?

Last edited by arthwollipot; 22nd June 2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: I some words out.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:01 PM   #2118
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've been told that if a T1 calls on the escalation line I should get them to transfer the call, but so many calls are teaching opportunities. I've had at least three T1s call today with issues that they can resolve on first call, but didn't know how to. Well, now they know. That gets the first-contact call resolution up, and that's a Good Thing, right?
I've had to remind myself of the only thing that really matters: is your pay any different if things get done right versus wrong?

Mine is the same, regardless. This stupid project of mine with these stupid morons demanding stupid things pays me the same as if I were doing work that matters, so screw it. I will sit here at home "working" by doing nothing but explain in email form twice a week why I can't get the work done. How long can I drag that sort of crap out? Another two decades is all I need, and if the last two years are any sign that will not be a problem. In the year 5600 AD these same damn clients will be spacebeeping at robots "hey, can you add a bunch of impossible nothing to this data, thanks" and the robots will be all "my electron rations are equal whether I ignore the foolish humanoids or not". Then the robots will ignite a singularity and blow the galaxy to smithereens and I, for one, do not blame them a bit.
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:53 PM   #2119
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I've had to remind myself of the only thing that really matters: is your pay any different if things get done right versus wrong?

Mine is the same, regardless. This stupid project of mine with these stupid morons demanding stupid things pays me the same as if I were doing work that matters, so screw it. I will sit here at home "working" by doing nothing but explain in email form twice a week why I can't get the work done. How long can I drag that sort of crap out? Another two decades is all I need, and if the last two years are any sign that will not be a problem. In the year 5600 AD these same damn clients will be spacebeeping at robots "hey, can you add a bunch of impossible nothing to this data, thanks" and the robots will be all "my electron rations are equal whether I ignore the foolish humanoids or not". Then the robots will ignite a singularity and blow the galaxy to smithereens and I, for one, do not blame them a bit.
Yeah, that'd be nice, but this is government. We're required to adhere to SLAs, and one of those is first-contact resolution, and we are financially penalised if we do not meet them. Yes, we're part of government too, but we also have our budgets to maintain. The way that works is complicated, and I'm far from understanding how it works - that's way above my pay grade - but if we get our budget penalised we may not be able to retain staff. Which will make the problem worse. Catch-22. Well, that's government for you.
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:53 PM   #2120
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Hey!

Some of us still have to live in this galaxy, and we aren't all clients.

Let 'em just nuke from orbit. It's been a perfectly good solution for a long time.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet