IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th January 2021, 09:34 PM   #3001
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I've kept track of this. It's at the end of my work day now, and so far today I have had to type a password 12 times, and use some kind of MFA token five times. I'm pretty sure I missed a few, too.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:48 PM   #3002
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ugh. They've got me doing VoIP again. I hate VoIP. Whoever designed Cisco Unity needs to be severely chastised and sent on a usability crash course.

Right now I have to check an entire team of 45 staff to see if they have voice mail set up, and to set them up if they don't. Fortunately only 11 do not.

What a pain in the bum.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:05 AM   #3003
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Ugh. They've got me doing VoIP again. I hate VoIP. Whoever designed Cisco Unity needs to be severely chastised and sent on a usability crash course.

Right now I have to check an entire team of 45 staff to see if they have voice mail set up, and to set them up if they don't. Fortunately only 11 do not.

What a pain in the bum.
The two are sort of exclusive. Cisco products have a reputation for being user unfriendly. I've worked with Asterisk (almost defines "unfriendly") and FreePBX, a web front-end to Asterisk and much nicer to work with.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:49 PM   #3004
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
The two are sort of exclusive. Cisco products have a reputation for being user unfriendly. I've worked with Asterisk (almost defines "unfriendly") and FreePBX, a web front-end to Asterisk and much nicer to work with.
Setting up extra lines and speed dials is the absolute worst. We can't just assign them arbitrarily. No - we have to assign them according to a template, of which there are dozens, with names like "8861_1L 2-4S 5U 6-41S" and we have to find a template, based on this name, that most closely matches the button layout that the client has requested. The client, of course, has absolutely no knowledge of these templates or their limitations.
Old 24th January 2021, 06:31 PM   #3005
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Pet peeve: referring to software products by the name of the company that provides them. Open the document in Adobe. Request to install Kofax. Diagnose problems in HPE.

Really annoys the crap out of me. But there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 24th January 2021, 08:48 PM   #3006
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Ha!

I went to downforeveryoneorjustme.com today, because a website wasn't working for me.

On a whim I put twitter.com in the search box and this is what comes up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twitter.jpg (14.2 KB, 19 views)
Faydra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 12:25 PM   #3007
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Ha!

I went to downforeveryoneorjustme.com today, because a website wasn't working for me.

On a whim I put twitter.com in the search box and this is what comes up.

Thanks.

I got my first real chuckle of the day out of that.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 06:49 PM   #3008
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well that was unexpected. I just got a call on the escalation line - this is the line that T1s use when the call they are on is too difficult and/or is taking too long. The call was really easy to resolve but that's not what was unexpected.

The guy was super complementary about the level of service and professionalism he has always had in his dealings with us. Especially when compared to his old department. It was almost weird.
Old 9th February 2021, 01:01 PM   #3009
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again if you put a trouble call in I need a way to contact you.

90% of my troublecalls are:

- A contextless e-mail that says "NEED HELP!!!!!"
- No call back number, no extension, no site (a lot of our users are mobile and go site to site.)
- Don't answer an e-mail asking for more information.
- Finally track them down only to be told that they weren't the ones that needed help, someone else did and the whole process now has to start over.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 04:19 PM   #3010
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I still think that reading the entire archive of the Chronicles of George should be mandatory training for Tier 1 agents.
Old 9th February 2021, 08:39 PM   #3011
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've kept track of this. It's at the end of my work day now, and so far today I have had to type a password 12 times, and use some kind of MFA token five times. I'm pretty sure I missed a few, too.
I've still been thinking about this.

I have three accounts. A normal one for non-admin in the unprotected environment (ab1234 (this is not my real user ID)), an _a account (ab1234_a) for admin in the unprotected environment, and an _f account (ab1234_f) for admin in the protected environment. I also have a fourth account for non-admin in protected, but I don't usually need to use that. Here's how my morning starts.
  1. Log on to unprotected
  2. RDP to jump server, using _a and MFA
  3. In jump server, RDP to admin server, using _a (yes, this is a double RDP. Something something something security)
  4. Log on to RAS in unprotected
  5. In RAS, log on to protected, using _f and MFA
  6. Log on to Azure in protected, using _f and MFA
  7. Log on to Papercut (used for printing) in protected, using _f but no MFA
  8. Log on to Exchange Admin in unprotected, using _a
  9. Log on to O365 in Exchange Admin in unprotected, using _a and MFA

If I don't keep switching to my protected window and my admin server window, they go into sleep mode and I have to wake them up again using the appropriate account. If I leave it long enough, both the jump server and the admin server go to sleep and I have to wake them both up. When I go to lunch I have to wake my screen up, then wake up those other windows. These are all additional entries of passwords.

There are other times I need to enter a password of some kind, like checking the email quarantine or accessing the Skype server. In most cases I've got the browser to store the password, and honestly I don't have to use them very often.

Is this absolutely bonkers or do you have to enter your various passwords many times just to do your job?
Old 9th February 2021, 10:01 PM   #3012
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Standard and admin.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 10:19 PM   #3013
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So - not bonkers then?
Old 10th February 2021, 12:07 AM   #3014
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
So - not bonkers then?

Nope. I have four basic accounts (normal for regular net and protected, and admin for each). I get the added fun of the admin accounts being managed: the password changes daily. So I also have to sign into that system.

And we use two different MFA systems, one for each network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th February 2021, 03:29 PM   #3015
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hi, I'd like to follow up on a job I've logged?
Do you have the job number?
Okay, this is a relocation request, it's scheduled for today, as requested.
Oh, okay. Thanks.
*click*
Old 10th February 2021, 03:44 PM   #3016
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Hi, I'd like to follow up on a job I've logged?
Do you have the job number?
Okay, this is a relocation request, it's scheduled for today, as requested.
Oh, okay. Thanks.
*click*
They know itís scheduled. They were looking for confirmation that someone was actually going to act on it. There is often justified scepticism that someone will show.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 04:36 PM   #3017
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
They know itís scheduled. They were looking for confirmation that someone was actually going to act on it. There is often justified scepticism that someone will show.
In some cases it's just confusion. They lodge a request, they get a confirmation of the request, and then nothing until someone shows up at their desk. It's not confirmation that they're looking for, it's reassurance.

Did I mention the other week about the call I got where the caller was so complementary about the service he had received and how much better we were than the IT at his old department? That was a good call, which I passed along to the whole team.
Old 11th February 2021, 07:40 AM   #3018
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's 2021. I wish users would accept that there really is not functional way to troubleshoot "fax" issues.

It's a technology the predates the Civil War that has literally no reason to exist nor upside to being used. It either works or it doesn't. Do any faxes from this fax machine make it anywhere? Yes? Well then there's not a whole lot I can do beyond that. The telecom industry has all but forgotten that faxes even exist and they offer basically no support and I have no way of troubleshooting a purely analog fax transmission.

"If I send a fax to this number it cuts off after page 24 some of the time" is literally a problem I have no way of addressing.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 07:42 AM   #3019
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Grrr. The project I'm currently working on is to develop a single authoritative source for certain critical numbers-- the much vaunted (and mentioned) "source of truth" to replace the multitude of conflicting reports the division currently uses.

So what's the latest ask? One party wants to have different criteria for their version of the One True Data. So there will now be Two True Data, conflicting with each other, and both will be considered "the source of truth".

I'm the only person involved in this who sees this as a problem.
Old 11th February 2021, 07:59 AM   #3020
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why do I have a hunch I'm safe in assuming that one of the "Sources of the One True Data" doesn't want to have responsibility if the "One True Data" is wrong.

I've met a lot of "The Buck Stops Here with Me, but Where the Blame Stops is a Lot More Negotiable" people in my time.
Old 11th February 2021, 08:52 AM   #3021
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Why do I have a hunch I'm safe in assuming that one of the "Sources of the One True Data" doesn't want to have responsibility if the "One True Data" is wrong.

I've met a lot of "The Buck Stops Here with Me, but Where the Blame Stops is a Lot More Negotiable" people in my time.
I'm even more cynical than that: the project's point is to move the source of truth to my department, from the current sources. I think the current sources are engaging in some attempts at job security by trying to sabotage my efforts. This will not succeed because (unlike them) I can prove every one of my numbers by pulling the actual detail data straight from the source. Challenge one of my figures and I can provide millions of rows of detail to prove I'm right. Challenge one of their figures and they get mad and can't explain where they got it from. Which is why the powers that is want to move the data to my group in the first place.
Old 11th February 2021, 06:28 PM   #3022
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We have a Corporate Directory that uses two separate things as its Source of Truth, depending on the particular field - the IT systems and the HR systems. We handle the IT end but we do not handle the HR end.

I wish more users would understand this.
Old 15th February 2021, 10:49 AM   #3023
ShowMe
Graduate Poster

We have a Corporate Directory that uses two separate things as its Source of Truth, depending on the particular field - the IT systems and the HR systems. We handle the IT end but we do not handle the HR end.

Good luck man.

Users tend to see "Anything that uses technology" as being fair game for IT. I cannot count the number of phones, televisions and gaming consoles people have asked me to fix.

Two systems in the same company that do similar things and hoping users will some day differentiate? A laudable goal, but probably unachievable.

"I could tell you that it is because I don't want The Language Award to appear too cliqueish. But I won't. 'Cause you're not one of the cool people." - Tricky
ShowMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 02:23 PM   #3024
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Heard at work:

"Ugh, developers!"

"Yeah, they know everything."

"They think they know everything."
Old 15th February 2021, 07:04 PM   #3025
Blue Mountain

Heard at work:

"Ugh, developers!"

"Yeah, they know everything."

"They think they know everything."
"The difficult we do right away. The impossible takes us a little longer."
(I'm a developer. )
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 07:23 PM   #3026
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

(I'm a developer. )
Yeah, I thought there might be one or two developers in this thread. And I'm sorry, but it is true. Also funny, given the context in which I heard it.
Old 15th February 2021, 08:07 PM   #3027
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

People need to understand the same demarcation when their lead hasn’t engaged process to extend or establish their IT access.

Had a contractor who kept wanting to discuss access that was being denied to him by a manager. Looked at me mournfully as he told me about his business needs.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 15th February 2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 16th February 2021, 03:05 AM   #3028
Wudang
BOFH

(I'm a developer. )
ďWe chose to write the code and do these other things not because they are easy, but because we were told they would be easyĒ
Old 16th February 2021, 08:04 AM   #3029
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

"Crazy He Calls Me"

Sung by Billie Holiday, 1951

"Like the wind that shakes the bough
He moves me with a smile
The difficult I'll do right now
The impossible will take a little while"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 16th February 2021, 06:22 PM   #3030
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
"Crazy He Calls Me"

Sung by Billie Holiday, 1951

"Like the wind that shakes the bough
He moves me with a smile
The difficult I'll do right now
The impossible will take a little while"
OH ****, SUPERMUTANTS!
Old 17th February 2021, 04:42 AM   #3031
catsmate
No longer the 1

(I'm a developer. )
"Actually getting it working is not our problem".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 06:04 AM   #3032
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
"Actually getting it working is not our problem".
"This data accurately reflects what is currently in the database. I can't say whether or not what is in the database reflects reality." 100% true but lordy, people hate hearing that!
Old 17th February 2021, 07:05 AM   #3033
Wudang
BOFH

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." Charles Babbage.
Old 17th February 2021, 02:32 PM   #3034
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." Charles Babbage.
What's interesting about that quote is immediately after he wrote that, he went on to examine a real problem of the machine's programming being maliciously altered to produce incorrect results, and suggested a solution:

Originally Posted by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked,—“Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?” In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the Lower, House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. I did, however, explain the following property, which might in some measure approach towards an answer to it.

It is possible to construct the Analytical Engine in such a manner that after the question is once communicated to the engine, it may be stopped at any turn of the handle and set on again as often as may be desired. At each stoppage every figure-wheel throughout the Engine, which is capable of being moved without breaking, may be moved on to any other digit. Yet after each of these apparent falsifications the engine will be found to make the next calculation with perfect truth.

The explanation is very simple, and the property itself useless. The whole of the mechanism ought of course to be enclosed in glass, and kept under lock and key, in which case the mechanism necessary to give it the property alluded to would be useless.
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher, Chapter V: The Difference Engine [Project Gutenberg]

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 17th February 2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 17th February 2021, 03:13 PM   #3035
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There are people who really are very uncomfortable talking on the phone.

"Uh, yeah, I'm... I'm just calling... uh. I'm calling to... um, ask whether... um...I'm calling about ahh..."

I really can't get annoyed because it's not their fault, but it does make the call difficult.
Old 18th February 2021, 07:17 AM   #3036
catsmate
No longer the 1

There are people who really are very uncomfortable talking on the phone.

"Uh, yeah, I'm... I'm just calling... uh. I'm calling to... um, ask whether... um...I'm calling about ahh..."

I really can't get annoyed because it's not their fault, but it does make the call difficult.
It applies to the people on the other end tood.
I've spent 100+ minutes on to Eir's "customer support" lines for a friend over the last couple of days. Most of them are script-monkeys
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 07:28 AM   #3037
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I've spent 100+ minutes on to Eir's "customer support" lines for a friend over the last couple of days. Most of them are script-monkeys
But isnít that is what they are employed as?

Itís a sad state of affairs and lots of people really donít understand how many companies now run their customer services. The people you talk to canít do anything but what is in the script and if it isnít in the script it doesnít exist!

When people ask to speak to ďa managerĒ they think they are going to speak to someone who has more authority in the company and can overturn SOP. The reality is that most of the time you are just going to be speaking to the manager of the customer service team, they have no authority outside the CS team, but they can approve holidays for the team members - as long as it is within company policy of course.

Itís often made even worse because you will find that the ďcustomer service departmentĒ isnít even part of the company you think you are dealing with! They will have outsourced their CS department to a company that provides script monkeys.

And to be one of these outsourced monkeys has to be one of the ********* jobs going.
Old 18th February 2021, 08:42 AM   #3038
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

If you are knowledgeable enough to solve the problems that the script-monkeys can solve yourself, the trick is getting past the script-monkeys to somebody that actually can solve your problem. With some companies, that is next to impossible.

Last edited by CORed; 18th February 2021 at 08:44 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:52 AM   #3039
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If you are knowledgeable enough to solve the problems that the script-monkeys can solve yourself, the trick is getting past the script-monkeys to somebody that actually can solve your problem. With some companies, that is next to impossible.
Next to? It needs to be impossible!
Old 18th February 2021, 09:18 AM   #3040
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But isn’t that is what they are employed as?
Yes. And given Eir's customer dissatisfaction rates it shows.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It’s a sad state of affairs and lots of people really don’t understand how many companies now run their customer services. The people you talk to can’t do anything but what is in the script and if it isn’t in the script it doesn’t exist!

When people ask to speak to “a manager” they think they are going to speak to someone who has more authority in the company and can overturn SOP. The reality is that most of the time you are just going to be speaking to the manager of the customer service team, they have no authority outside the CS team, but they can approve holidays for the team members - as long as it is within company policy of course.

It’s often made even worse because you will find that the “customer service department” isn’t even part of the company you think you are dealing with! They will have outsourced their CS department to a company that provides script monkeys.

And to be one of these outsourced monkeys has to be one of the ********* jobs going.
Generally I agree. I never did phone support in my twenty plus tears years in IT. But I've dealt with lots of people who did (one of whom finds the 999 control centre a relaxing change).
But I've got to experience to say to the script monkey that A, B, C, D, E, F and G don;t work, therefore the problem is I, J or K which are down to you. So escalate them beyond the appeasement level, and right now. I want to talk to the person who can fix the problem you have caused. And this morning I did that by talking over the script monkey until he escalated it, and repeated this until I spoke to person#4 who could actually see the relevant system and fixed the problem.

The only time I want to talk to a manager, with actual authority, is when I'm discussing (in great detail) what will happen if my friend does not receive concessions W, X, Y and Z. Which was call #2 this morning and got him his new toys...
Which I'll be setting up for him. Oh well......

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet