IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bill munns , Patterson-Gimlin film

Old 28th June 2013, 08:12 AM   #481
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I started out as a skeptic, and through my research in the field, moved to a believer and am now a knower.
Seen one?

Yes, I have through a thermal at about 20 feet back in 2009....

My thermal was during a BFRO expedition (tale for another thread).
My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she puts up with it.
She knows you personally and we don't. You have been unable to convince her that the thermal was a Bigfoot? Is she attacking the arguer instead of the argument? Did you show her the PGF leg-lift and did she still go all ad hominem on you?
Old 28th June 2013, 01:04 PM   #482
JLord
Critical Thinker

I'm not a follower of the vast amount of information that gets discussed inthe bigfoot threads here, but maybe someone who is bored of the current debate can answer this for me, even though I'm sure it has already been discussed...

What is the explanation for the PGF ending when it does. Since they are claiming to be filming bigfoot, I am wondering if anyone knows their explanation for why they didn't follow the thing, keep filing it, try to track it, shoot it, gather other witnesses, etc. One gets the impression that they just set up the camera, a bigfoot walked right in front of them out in the open, and they packed up the camera and went home.

It seems like a wierd reaction if you just caught a bigfoot in broad daylight out in the open, so they must have an explanation I'm sure.
JLord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2013, 01:24 PM   #483
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

He ran out of film, and while he reloaded and they gathered up the spooked horses, Bigfoot got away..

Of course, that doesn't answer why there was never a concerted follow up, but no one ever made any money ( in those days ) tracking a real Bigfoot.. The money was in traveling the country and showing the film ..

Never mind that the real answer, is that you don't waste your time tracking a Bigfoot that you know does not exist...
Old 28th June 2013, 03:48 PM   #484
Chris L
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
He ran out of film, and while he reloaded and they gathered up the spooked horses, Bigfoot got away..

Of course, that doesn't answer why there was never a concerted follow up, but no one ever made any money ( in those days ) tracking a real Bigfoot.. The money was in traveling the country and showing the film ..

Never mind that the real answer, is that you don't waste your time tracking a Bigfoot that you know does not exist...
Yeah, funny how Patterson (when he got around to looking for BF again again) went pretty much everywhere else but that creek.
Old 28th June 2013, 03:52 PM   #485
The Shrike
Philosopher

Indeed. If I knew where there had been hanging out a pregnant bigfoot with a massive thigh hernia that prevented her from walking any faster than a Washington State cowboy in outsized flip-flops, you can be danged sure I'd have spent the rest of the season camped right there at Bluff Creek.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2013, 07:00 PM   #486
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JLord View Post
I'm not a follower of the vast amount of information that gets discussed inthe bigfoot threads here, but maybe someone who is bored of the current debate can answer this for me, even though I'm sure it has already been discussed...

What is the explanation for the PGF ending when it does. Since they are claiming to be filming bigfoot, I am wondering if anyone knows their explanation for why they didn't follow the thing, keep filing it, try to track it, shoot it, gather other witnesses, etc. One gets the impression that they just set up the camera, a bigfoot walked right in front of them out in the open, and they packed up the camera and went home.

It seems like a wierd reaction if you just caught a bigfoot in broad daylight out in the open, so they must have an explanation I'm sure.
That is a recurring theme in bigfootery, especially with "expeditions".

Get close to a bigfoot, then leave the area.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 06:42 AM   #487
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

" Don't look behind the curtain... "
Old 29th June 2013, 06:47 AM   #488
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
That is a recurring theme in bigfootery, especially with "expeditions".

Get close to a bigfoot, then leave the area.
With Brian Brown and his group an obvious exception. They are to return to The Valley of the Wood Ape again this season.

It will be interestesting to see what lies Brown uses this season to explain why they can't shoot a wood ape. The pinned thread at BFF shows him clearly making stuff up as he goes along, IMHO.

I think Patterson was smart by never going back to Bluff Creek as he never has to answer the question, why can't you find Patty again. Brown and his group of commandos can only dig themselves a deeper hole as to why they can't collect a speciman.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 10:24 AM   #489
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by clayflingythingy View Post
With Brian Brown and his group an obvious exception. They are to return to The Valley of the Wood Ape again this season.

It will be interestesting to see what lies Brown uses this season to explain why they can't shoot a wood ape. The pinned thread at BFF shows him clearly making stuff up as he goes along, IMHO.

I think Patterson was smart by never going back to Bluff Creek as he never has to answer the question, why can't you find Patty again. Brown and his group of commandos can only dig themselves a deeper hole as to why they can't collect a speciman.
I call it the Ghost Hunters model; they've been on the TV huntin' for spooks for nearly ten years, yet no spooks. Folks jump on the wagon and folks jump off. TBRC changing their name to NAWAC was a good move because never ever shooting a wood ape guarantees their conservation all right.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 12:23 PM   #490
RayG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
haha I know it might seem that way, but I'm still a Bigfoot proponent and a believer in the PGF. Not a proud one though. Bigfootery is a mess.
Why? Seriously. I used to be a proponent of bigfoot in a huge way, even created a bigfoot website in the mid-late 90's that was somewhat popular.

Forty plus years of following this mystery had me transition from full blown believer, to a fence-sitter who had serious doubts, but left the door open a crack for the possibility, to more of a denier, a scoftic if you will.

If someone presents a body, a verified piece of a body, or some actual DNA, not some self-promoted claims of habituation, a body, or DNA, then I'll be back on board. Until then I have no reason to accept claims of bigfoot without sufficient evidence.

To the Moneymakers, Bipto Browns, and other smooth talkers and snake-oil salesmen, I have but two words -- "Prove it". (two other two-word combinations come to mind, but the auto-censor won't allow them)

RayG

Last edited by RayG; 29th June 2013 at 12:25 PM.
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 01:27 PM   #491
marlborough
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
How does a skeptic end up on a BFRO expedition and falling for a "thermal" as proof of bigfoot? Oh, and did you use a Zagnut to get the squatch to approach within 20'? They gotta have their Zagnuts!
For only $500, the BFRO takes care of all arrangements for the expedition. All you have to bring is
  • food
  • drinks
  • water
  • tent
  • all camping gear
  • transportation

So you'd pretty much have to bring your own Zagnut bars.

I guess the 500 bucks goes towards miscellaneous costs like hiring people to throw rocks at the expedition and to pose for thermal images.
marlborough is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 01:27 PM   #492
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
How could you have steady shots following an actor in that terrain with a handheld camera?
Try this with your own camera. You'll be surprised how easy it is to hold it far, far steadier than Roger did.

Or alternatively, you will be quite surprised how violently you have to shake it in order to produce the same effect.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 01:32 PM   #493
RayG
Master Poster

Indeed. If I knew where there had been hanging out a pregnant bigfoot with a massive thigh hernia that prevented her from walking any faster than a Washington State cowboy in outsized flip-flops, you can be danged sure I'd have spent the rest of the season camped right there at Bluff Creek.
Funny too how Patty only strolled across open ground, but really took off once she reached the trees.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 02:20 PM   #494
Chris L
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Funny too how Patty only strolled across open ground, but really took off once she reached the trees.

RayG
My 12 year old grandson also wondered about Patty looking in the camera, like she was posing for the movie poster or something.
Old 29th June 2013, 02:25 PM   #495
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Seen one?

She knows you personally and we don't. You have been unable to convince her that the thermal was a Bigfoot? Is she attacking the arguer instead of the argument? Did you show her the PGF leg-lift and did she still go all ad hominem on you?
William,

Missed this first time around.

A classic responding. Funny, funny, and cold blooded.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 06:42 PM   #496
COGrizzly
Scholar

My "belief" of the bigguy is almost completely done. Over at the BFF, a guy posted a thing on Patty and I now see seems and folds.

Plus, I think I finally figured out what may have made the tracks I saw - Mtn Lion bounding through the snow.

And yes, that was funny William P.
COGrizzly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 07:12 PM   #497
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Welcome to reality COGrizzly.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 08:19 PM   #498
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I've seen these new Patty images ran through Blurity software. They look as fake as ever. More so? I don't know, I can't really say as I'm not a believer in Patty. Is there such a thing as "more fake"?
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2013, 08:53 PM   #499
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I can't say I blame Sweaty for that because there aren't many good frames of the film available. Sharpening them seems to make the dark patterns on Patty's body look even more like folds than they already do. Here's a comparison of the frame in question, compared to an untouched and cropped frame 352 of high quality

There have been some theories that some of the lines that run across her hip are where the lower piece of the suit attaches to the butt part. I'm not so sure if that's the case here. I think what people are seeing could be different patterns of the hair that have ended up looking like something else in low quality versions.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2013, 04:20 AM   #500
The Shrike
Philosopher

Wow, I see a new gap at the rear of the armpit and a new fold at the front of the hip near the crotch. Bravo, 'footers! Patty looks more fake than ever!
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2013, 06:55 AM   #501
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Raggedy Patty.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2013, 08:35 AM   #502
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by marlborough View Post
For only $500, the BFRO takes care of all arrangements for the expedition. All you have to bring is
  • food
  • drinks
  • water
  • tent
  • all camping gear
  • transportation

So you'd pretty much have to bring your own Zagnut bars.

I guess the 500 bucks goes towards miscellaneous costs like hiring people to throw rocks at the expedition and to pose for thermal images.
Arrangements would amount to reserving a group campsite at the selected park ($100 to 200) then emailing directions.

Looks like there's lots of money to be made but you would have to camp out with a lot of BFers.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2013, 12:38 PM   #503
RayG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
My 12 year old grandson also wondered about Patty looking in the camera, like she was posing for the movie poster or something.
And Meldrum says that Patty looked back not once, but twice.

RayG
Old 30th June 2013, 12:53 PM   #504
COGrizzly
Scholar

Wow, I see a new gap at the rear of the armpit and a new fold at the front of the hip near the crotch. Bravo, 'footers! Patty looks more fake than ever!
I'd tell you the term that is used to describe that on females, but I don't want to start breaking rules over here!

FYI - I've been asked twice to join a BFRO expedition as a "guest", free of charge. I've gone zero times.
COGrizzly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2013, 01:26 PM   #505
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by COGrizzly View Post

FYI - I've been asked twice to join a BFRO expedition as a "guest", free of charge. I've gone zero times.
That's interesting. You can probably guess why, and I wonder. If you look over how they select their participants, there is a vetting process via email and posting on a message board where you have to prove to be a sufficient dupe.

If you were someone from the area with extensive local knowledge and were a skeptic you would be a real killjoy. Their methodology is to go out and look for suitable sites, then come back in the evening for a kind of 'footer masturbation fest. Orgasm at something sounding like a tree knock, and then run away. If you have someone making fun of you at the same time it really kills the mood.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2013, 05:43 AM   #506
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marlborough View Post
  • food
  • drinks
  • water
  • tent
  • all camping gear
  • transportation
Don't forget Permit, gotta have the permit. Oh and don't bring a gun, the 'knowers' aren't dumb enough to let the 'dupes' think they can bring in a specimen. That would be detrimental to the endeavor.

Which brings me to the new definitions:

The Bigfoot believers who are 'knowers' i.e. they have seen one, are actually the dupes. The Bigfoot 'experts', are the actual 'knowers', they know that bigfoot is not real, but pretend to be knowers in so far as they can make money off of the dupes.

There can be 'dupes' that act like 'knowers', they are not making money, and they really think Bigfoot is real. They wan't to be a true knower, but have not realized that Bigfoot in reality is not real, and only carry on their knowing, because they are duped by the actual knowers (those carrying out the duping)
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2013, 10:33 AM   #507
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

I can't say I blame Sweaty for that because there aren't many good frames of the film available. Sharpening them seems to make the dark patterns on Patty's body look even more like folds than they already do. Here's a comparison of the frame in question, compared to an untouched and cropped frame 352 of high quality

http://i39.tinypic.com/2r4o600.jpg

There have been some theories that some of the lines that run across her hip are where the lower piece of the suit attaches to the butt part. I'm not so sure if that's the case here. I think what people are seeing could be different patterns of the hair that have ended up looking like something else in low quality versions.
Wow, this is fascinating! I'd love to see more frames sharpened with this exact software. It's like looking at a pic taken from a few feet away, though I don't know how reliable the resolution is. That exterior tummy/hip fold is a dead giveaway that it's a suit, IMO.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2013, 12:07 PM   #508
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

More people believe in this garbage than ever, still baffles me. I see Munns has been chattin bollocks again... What a gem!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2013, 01:41 PM   #509
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Wow, this is fascinating! I'd love to see more frames sharpened with this exact software. It's like looking at a pic taken from a few feet away, though I don't know how reliable the resolution is. That exterior tummy/hip fold is a dead giveaway that it's a suit, IMO.
Interesting. I was actually trying to show that the image is sharp, but not reliable.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2013, 01:53 PM   #510
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Interesting. I was actually trying to show that the image is sharp, but not reliable.
Yes, the PGF is unreliable as evidence for the existence of the creature known as Sasquatch.

I'm happy you agree.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2013, 02:30 PM   #511
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I had a funny PM from Munns before he got banned. I already knew he was a joke, but his PM confirmed it. Man's a wasteman innit

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 06:48 AM   #512
Drewbot
Philosopher

Bill goes to work writing multi page letters to Columbia University Press, and to the Board of Trustees at Columbia, criticizing the book 'Abominable Science' by Daniel Loxton and Donald Prothero.

http://seesdifferent.wordpress.com/2...n-human-being/
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 10:25 AM   #513
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.sasquatchforum.proboards....-damned?page=2

You can read the entire 7 page letter he sent to the Columbia University Press and the Board of Trustees here. Scroll down to the post dated Aug 7, 2013 at 7:13pm
Old 12th August 2013, 10:37 AM   #514
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker

I think I know what Columbia University Press will be doing with Munns' wall of meaninglessness...

Into the trash it goes...
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 10:48 AM   #515
Correa Neto
Philosopher

That guy certainly could teach them all a trick or two....

I would love to read his critics to Munns works. Truth is- it not worth of his efforts and time.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 12:58 PM   #516
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
http://www.sasquatchforum.proboards....-damned?page=2

You can read the entire 7 page letter he sent to the Columbia University Press and the Board of Trustees here. Scroll down to the post dated Aug 7, 2013 at 7:13pm
Wow, even by Munns' normal standards that's an embarrassing rant, and the irony is absolutely overwhelming!!!
Old 12th August 2013, 03:34 PM   #517
Jodie
Philosopher

I think Patty was a senile ole' bigfoot gal with some grooming issues.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 04:32 PM   #518
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Perhaps Bill's expectations are a little high, but I think he makes a good point about the book. Skepticism isn't about drawing conclusions from weak evidence. That's what Bigfooters do

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 12th August 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12th August 2013, 04:51 PM   #519
rockinkt
Master Poster

Perhaps Bill's expectations are a little high, but I think he makes a good point about the book. Skepticism isn't about drawing conclusions from weak evidence. That's what Bigfooters do
Since you haven't read the book - how do you know what is a good point?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 05:10 PM   #520
GT/CS
Illuminator

I have read the book and the bigfoot chapter is very well done, as is the Nessie chapter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal