IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bill munns , Patterson-Gimlin film

Old 28th May 2012, 05:28 PM   #121
GT/CS
Illuminator

It looks like Bill is crunching numbers again

Originally Posted by Bill @ BFF
Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Tontar:

The camera angle rig is designed and will be built in the coming months (Maybe July, July at the latest) and then tested with an actual cast duplicate of one of Roger's two casts of that day,

The trip is now looking like the last two weeks of july.

The lens issue will be settled more or less conclusively by September, using optical science and mathematics.

If fact, a whole lot of things should be settled then. I've got a busy summer ahead of me.

Bill
Old 29th May 2012, 02:26 AM   #122
rockinkt
Master Poster

Funny thing...the usual way is for a fraud artist to get money directly from the marks - but they wouldn't support his $75,000 scam. Therefore - the TV shows must be promising $$$ or that is what he is hoping for. Does that make the TV shows the frauds and the watchers the marks?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2012, 03:57 AM   #123
Correa Neto
Philosopher

If the TV shows' producers know its all a scam and sell it as true or possibly true, then yes, they are indeed part of the scheme.

Snake oil salesmen/women. Seems they found a home at the History Channel.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2012, 05:08 AM   #124
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
It looks like Bill is crunching numbers again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ BFF
Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

...The lens issue will be settled more or less conclusively by September, using optical science and mathematics.
As has been pointed out previously - until Munns starts using photogrammetry tools, he's NOT using optical science OR mathematics.

As William Parcher stated up thread,
"Everything else that Munns has illustrated with the creek is speculation and creative artistry. "

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2012, 09:55 AM   #125
demonunderyourbed

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
William Parcher calculates the probability of Bill Munns being a weirdo crackpot who is completely wrong about the identity of the PGF subject and Bigfoot in general at 99% (margin of error 1%).
haha agreed 100%
the man has problems..hes also just in it to make money.
demonunderyourbed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2012, 09:58 AM   #126
demonunderyourbed

Details....details...pesky little details...

I calculate the probability at approximately 100%....that Dfoot's "recreation" of Patty......"D-sucks".

Anyone else wanna give it a try??......and fail...miserably, laughably...[/quote]

and more pointless doodles with numbers on.that prove nothing.

Last edited by demonunderyourbed; 29th May 2012 at 09:59 AM.
demonunderyourbed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2012, 10:13 AM   #127
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
" of course its real Trin, what person , has ever moved like that...in the history of people."

- Ricky, Trailer Park Boys.

Come on people, the simple fact remains that if there was enough to breed there would be enough to notice. Otherwise we would be getting weird imbred bigfeet as time went on.

Man, where are the people who believe in dragons? At least dragons are neat. Bigfoot just seems straight up boring.

I mean really, what do you want to see, some dragon majestically flying through the air, maybe breathing a little fire? Or some ape that's claim to fame is walking around like it is bored all the time?
I think we need more love for jackalopes. You can find actual specimens in every bar and tourist trap in Wyoming, and photographs of much better quality than I've ever seen for bigfoot.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2012, 07:19 PM   #128
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I think we need more love for jackalopes. You can find actual specimens in every bar and tourist trap in Wyoming, and photographs of much better quality than I've ever seen for bigfoot.
Jackalopes are incredible.. especially during the mating season !?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:06 AM   #129
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Professor Jurgen Konczak did an experiment with the Patterson film and he has found that it's not possible for a normal human to replicate the walk seen in the film.

Philip Morris couldn't properly recreate the "suit", even with today's vastly superior materials.

The materials required to replicate some of Patty's features with a suit didn't even exist in the 60's.

Bill Munns demonstrated how Patty's anatomical features are impossible for a human to have and even more so with a suit on.

Could the PGF have been hoaxed? I think so, but not with a human wearing a suit. The evidence is there, we just need to open our eyes to it.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:15 AM   #130
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Professor Jurgen Konczak did an experiment with the Patterson film and he has found that it's not possible for a normal human to replicate the walk seen in the film.

Philip Morris couldn't properly recreate the "suit", even with today's vastly superior materials.

The materials required to replicate some of Patty's features with a suit didn't even exist in the 60's.

Bill Munns demonstrated how Patty's anatomical features are impossible for a human to have and even more so with a suit on.

Could the PGF have been hoaxed? I think so, but not with a human wearing a suit. The evidence is there, we just need to open our eyes to it.
That's kinda cute, but it's a person in a suit and any other answer does not compute . . . unless of course you're in it for the loot.

My pome, which is mine.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:19 AM   #131
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
any other answer does not compute
In that case even if it's real it wouldn't convince you anyway would it
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:27 AM   #132
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

In that case even if it's real it wouldn't convince you anyway would it
Of course it would, that's what skepticism is all about; show me the evidence and I'm helpless to accept it.

But, you must know that after all these years since the PGF and all that hogwash we're at the "show me the monkey" stage.

Got monkey?

Last edited by Resume; 20th June 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:30 AM   #133
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

If anything the monkey has got me

in a way
Old 20th June 2012, 10:31 AM   #134
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

If anything the monkey has got me http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ons/icon14.gif

in a way
That I'd agree with.
Old 20th June 2012, 10:44 AM   #135
tube
Muse

One facet of pseudoscience is that however solidly something is debunked, IT NEVER GOES AWAY. Not only is this one debunked, but it's EASILY debunked. Even Jeff Meldrum has conceded this ON TV.

http://orgoneresearch.com/2009/10/19...-inhuman-gait/

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:45 AM   #136
GT/CS
Illuminator

Since you've analyzed all the evidence you must know that Munns in incredibly biased and has openly stated that his goal is to prove Patty to be real. So why do you so blindly accept his findings?

Have you seen the program where Bob H. walks EXACTLY like Patty?
Old 20th June 2012, 10:51 AM   #137
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

He was mistaken. The walk has been replicated on video by a man in a heavy ape suit, while Meldrum looks on gape-mouthed and incredulous. At the end of the video segment, Meldrum pretends it never happened.

Then Morris is either an idiot or he wasn't trying to "recreate" the Patty suit. The full-body ape-man suits in Beneath the Planet of the Apes and 2001: A Space Odyssey, both produced in the same period as the PGF, show that your assumptions are mistaken.

No he hasn't.

You first.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 12:37 PM   #138
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

This is a new one on me. What is the basis for this one?
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 01:17 PM   #139
Old Hickory
Student

Maybe it's the walk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRi1V...ature=youtu.be
Old Hickory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 02:34 PM   #140
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Bigsploitation.. trying to keep the skeptics down !!

Um.. we have been through this before. Although for the record I like her boots.
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 02:56 PM   #141
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
This is a new one on me. What is the basis for this one?
He dressed up BobH into this suit right here

Mr. Morris even claimed it's the original bigfoot costume

now if we take a look back 45 years...

Old 20th June 2012, 03:13 PM   #142
GT/CS
Illuminator

With your bigfoot knowledge you must know that Patterson heavily modified the suit.

This isn't the BFF and you're not dealing with a bunch of wide-eyed rubes, like the ones you're used to.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:32 PM   #143
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

So what? Either Morris is lying about supplying the original suit, or Patterson modified whatever suit(s) he did supply.

Surely you're not suggesting, OS, that such suits cannot be made... today or at any time in the past. We have muscled ape-suits as far back as the 1930s for the MGM Tarzan films, and certainly in the 60s the Planet of the Apes movies and 2001 full-body ape-suits show that convincing ape-man costumes were being produced.

I feel like it's 2009 all over again. We've been over this stuff ad nauseam in the hundreds of pages of PGF threads.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 03:34 PM   #144
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

That's one of the many things BobH has claimed. BobH also claimed Roger Patterson filmed him while on a horse while in the actual film Roger Patterson is seen running to get closer to the creature.

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Surely you're not suggesting, OS, that such suits cannot be made... today or at any time in the past. We have muscled ape-suits as far back as the 1930s for the MGM Tarzan films, and certainly in the 60s the Planet of the Apes movies and 2001 full-body ape-suits show that convincing ape-man costumes were being produced.
I haven't seen any costumes close to Patty. Or any costume that could show the outlines of muscles and bones.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 20th June 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:43 PM   #145
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

That's one of the many things BobH has claimed. BobH also claimed Roger Patterson filmed him while on a horse while in the actual film Roger Patterson is seen running to get closer to the creature.
So? Bob H could be lying or mistaken. And...?

I haven't seen any costumes close to Patty. Or any costume that could show the outlines of muscles and bones.
Then you're not doing the necessary research. Try the following films:

Tarzan and His Mate (1934)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1968)
King Kong (1976)
Greystoke (1983)
Gorillas in the Mist (1987)
George of the Jungle (1994?)
Mighty Joe Young (1997)

All of the above films have various levels of convincing muscled ape suits. You're out of your depth here, OS.

ETA:

I forgot:

Trading Places (1983)
Congo (1995)
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1970?)

Last edited by Vortigern99; 20th June 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:48 PM   #146
AttorneyTom
Muse

Nor have you or your pal, Old Hickory looked at the past Threads on this Forum.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:49 PM   #147
RayG
Master Poster

He is? When was that?

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 03:56 PM   #148
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
He is? When was that?

RayG
I made a mistake there. We can tell he's running by the camera's motion. He's not actually seen running in the film.
Old 20th June 2012, 04:44 PM   #149
GT/CS
Illuminator

I made a mistake there. We can tell he's running by the camera's motion. He's not actually seen running in the film.
How can you tell that he's running by the camera motion?
How do you know he wasn't filming when he told Bob to start walking, then jumped off the horse?

Last edited by GT/CS; 20th June 2012 at 04:45 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 04:57 PM   #150
Old Hickory
Student

AttorneyTom

" Nor have you or your pal, Old Hickory looked at the past Threads on this Forum"

Pal? It is acceptable to question evidence...if you watched the video "pal" the man did issue a challenge. Possibly you are up to the challenge with video instead of attempting to beat people down with your posts.

You claim to be a skeptic. Be a knowledgeable hands on skeptic and prove the man wrong.
Old Hickory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 05:16 PM   #151
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

How can you tell that he's running by the camera motion?

By observing the film. But I guess you can watch it for yourself and decide if he was running or sitting on a horse.

How do you know he wasn't filming when he told Bob to start walking, then jumped off the horse?

According to the original story, the horses became afraid (especially Roger's) so he slid off the horse and ran across the creek to get closer to Patty (as seen in the film). It doesn't match BobH's story.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 20th June 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 20th June 2012, 05:29 PM   #152
AttorneyTom
Muse

AttorneyTom

" Nor have you or your pal, Old Hickory looked at the past Threads on this Forum"

Pal? It is acceptable to question evidence...if you watched the video "pal" the man did issue a challenge. Possibly you are up to the challenge with video instead of attempting to beat people down with your posts.

You claim to be a skeptic. Be a knowledgeable hands on skeptic and prove the man wrong.
No one is beating you down.. certainly not me. Go back on the threads and you will see this has all been done before. Please do some research on the JREF before you start posting things and pictures that have already been covered.

What brings you to the Forum, my friend ?

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 20th June 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 20th June 2012, 05:43 PM   #153
GT/CS
Illuminator

By observing the film. But I guess you can watch it for yourself and decide if he was running or sitting on a horse.

According to the original story, the horses became afraid (especially Roger's) so he slid off the horse and ran across the creek to get closer to Patty (as seen in the film). It doesn't match BobH's story.
Why do you accept Roger's story over Bob's story?
Roger's story is that he fell off the horse and bent a stirrup in the process. He even showed the bent stirrup to people, so why do you think he slid off the horse?
Old 20th June 2012, 05:55 PM   #154
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by tube View Post
One facet of pseudoscience is that however solidly something is debunked, IT NEVER GOES AWAY. Not only is this one debunked, but it's EASILY debunked. Even Jeff Meldrum has conceded this ON TV.

http://orgoneresearch.com/2009/10/19...-inhuman-gait/
OS, tube is right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=BTL7sR2E8p4#! from 29:00
This has already been posted several times both here and on the bff. Don't you think you should lurk a little more and post a little less ?
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 06:01 PM   #155
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I've seen the documentary twice. The subject couldn't replicate every aspect of the walk.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 20th June 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 20th June 2012, 06:03 PM   #156
GT/CS
Illuminator

I've seen the documentary twice. The subject couldn't replicate every aspect of the walk.
So you have a better grasp of bipedal locomotion than Meldrum?
Old 20th June 2012, 06:11 PM   #157
AttorneyTom
Muse

This has all been discussed before. Do you people have something new to add to the topic ?
Old 20th June 2012, 06:13 PM   #158
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
This has all been discussed before. Do you people have something new to add to the topic ?
Why is the onus on us? If you're superior to us please lead us.
Old 20th June 2012, 06:17 PM   #159
AttorneyTom
Muse

Why is the onus on us? If you're superior to us please lead us.
I didnt mean you.. I meant the OP !? The 18 yr. old...
Old 20th June 2012, 06:25 PM   #160
Castro
Muse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9V1uUzu-U
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal