IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bill munns , Patterson-Gimlin film

Old 4th June 2013, 08:27 AM   #321
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

There's probably a lot of info we're missing here. I don't even know for a fact that Meldrum is reviewing the analysis, but you're right, if it is Meldrum, he probably wouldn't be giving an unbiased review, especially if he's paying to have it written.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2013, 09:05 AM   #322
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
There's probably a lot of info we're missing here. I don't even know for a fact that Meldrum is reviewing the analysis, but you're right, if it is Meldrum, he probably wouldn't be giving an unbiased review, especially if he's paying to have it written.
The preponderance of evidence regarding this phenomena suggests that it's all about making some cash by invoking seeming legitimacy upon a popular campfire story.

Show me the money, but I ain't showing you the monkey.

Because I can't.

Last edited by Resume; 4th June 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2013, 04:53 AM   #323
Drewbot
Philosopher

Ben Radford's kickstarter page for his new board game about imaginary creatures:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-of-the-damned

Bill Munns' kickstarter page for his new documentary about imaginary creatures:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wh...how_todos=true
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2013, 06:33 AM   #324
The Shrike
Philosopher

^Radford's board game is kicking Patty's diaper-butt!
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2013, 09:20 PM   #325
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Bill Munns' kickstarter page for his new documentary about imaginary creatures:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wh...how_todos=true
Ah yes his new film "When Roger Met Patty And She Wasn't An Imaginary Creature Drewbot of JREF Forums So There".

Pathetic. 2 days left and he's barely at 11 percent of the goal. Apparently nobody had more than a month's worth of gas money e.g. $250 to put towards this Academy Award™ winning wet dreaming documentary. Oh cripes, now we gotta wade through some insane Bill 'Bernie' Munns Credibility Tour 2013 so he can get back on the right track and beg for his money more...fun lovingly. Wait, and immediately afterwards he's going on the Bill 'Borat' Munns Is The Greatest Person Ever Of The Universe And Kazakhstan 2014 tour too? Busy guy.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 7th June 2013 at 09:22 PM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2013, 12:16 AM   #326
JTF
Graduate Poster

Nasty Stew

Let me get this straight. Bill Munns is attempting to use the ultimate huckster (e.g., Roger Patterson) as a means to enhance the credibility and financial viability of a project that focuses on proving the existence of a mythical creature? In addition, he embraces the help provided to him by an educator (e.g., Jeff Meldrum) who gives short shrift to the scientific method? Yikes, it's black comedy at its finest.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2013, 09:12 PM   #327
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Ah yes his new film "When Roger Met Patty And She Wasn't An Imaginary Creature Drewbot of JREF Forums So There".

Pathetic. 2 days left and he's barely at 11 percent of the goal. Apparently nobody had more than a month's worth of gas money e.g. $250 to put towards this Academy Award™ winning wet dreaming documentary. Oh cripes, now we gotta wade through some insane Bill 'Bernie' Munns Credibility Tour 2013 so he can get back on the right track and beg for his money more...fun lovingly. Wait, and immediately afterwards he's going on the Bill 'Borat' Munns Is The Greatest Person Ever Of The Universe And Kazakhstan 2014 tour too? Busy guy.

Keep it coming ...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th June 2013, 04:03 PM   #328
Óđinn
Muse

Have fun with it, to be sure, but let's debunk the "too small for a human head theory". That's the crux of Bill's contention, after all. At what point does his theory fail, and why? Debunking him has gotta be more interesting than slagging him, no?
Óđinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2013, 05:57 PM   #329
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Óđinn View Post
Have fun with it, to be sure, but let's debunk the "too small for a human head theory". That's the crux of Bill's contention, after all. At what point does his theory fail, and why? Debunking him has gotta be more interesting than slagging him, no?
I agree with the sentiment. Rather have counter-arguments instead of mere dissing any day. However, who among us is expert in the relevant field of costume making?

It doesn't enhance the image of Munns creativity, however, when he lamely names his film When Roger Met Patty. I know he was going for the Hollywood thing (When Harry Met Sally.)If I had advised him, the title would have been something with more juice: 30 Seconds at Bluff Creek.

Or something accurate, with bluish innuendo: When Roger Made Patty.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2013, 07:57 PM   #330
The Shrike
Philosopher

So wait: the ace in Bill's hole is that he thinks Patty's head looks too small? Kinda like these guys?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2013, 08:12 PM   #331
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Have fun with it, to be sure, but let's debunk the "too small for a human head theory". That's the crux of Bill's contention, after all. At what point does his theory fail, and why?
Because, even if his claim about Patty's head being too small to fit a human head inside is true, it still doesn't rule out a person in a costume. In addition to JREF favorite Red King showing that's a load of nonsense, there's plenty of costumes out there utilizing a false head. Godzilla, the Horrordome Bigfoot costume, and this Wood Troll costume all come to mind. I think that was also the case with certain scenes from 1967's KING KONG ESCAPES, too.

I'd also like to take the time to address another questionable claim by Bill:

Originally Posted by Bill Munns on BFF
The fack that Roger and Bob approached from the opposite side of the creek thtat Patty was on both explains their ability to approach unheard, and also defeats suspicions of hoax, because you need to communicate with your talent in a hoax filming and communication from one side of the crek to the other by voice is all but useless, and with a guy in a costume, the mask impairing his vision, visual signels also don't work.
Really? Because the two person crew that made SWAMP FOETUS managed to shot a film under similar conditions. Check out the scenes at 2:01, 2:14, and 4:37 to see scenes shot at distances similar to what's seen in the PGF.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2013, 10:51 PM   #332
rockinkt
Master Poster

Why should anybody care what Munns thinks? It's not as if anybody in the film making industry thinks he is good at costume making or make-up.
If he was - he would be employed in that profession - not trying to scam $$ from the gullible.

Here's a bit of a fact that should make people sit up and take notice. The make-up artists who work regularly in the film and TV industry in Vancouver make damn good $$$. The make-up artist that works with me on music videos makes about $2000 a day on average. She drives a Maserati.

Special Effects people get a lot more than that. If Munns was working in the industry at the level he claims his expertise is at - he would be making big $$$$. Enough that he could pull $70,000 out of his pocket for his projects and not really miss it.

The evidence has been presented that shows Munns is nothing but a washed up former make-up guy who got fired from his last major job in the industry a long time ago.
When Munns came on the scene - it didn't take long for me to see that he fit the pattern of a fraud artist and I publicly called him on it.
His actions in the years since then have only proved my original assessment.

Pretending a fraud's opinions are supportive of any argument has got to be the lowest form of debate one can engage in.
At least Sweaty-yeti is honestly deluded.
What's your excuse Odinn?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2013, 05:48 AM   #333
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm curious, how did he decide how big the Bigfoot head was, to see if a human could fit in it? Did he determine that size based a 15, 20 or 25mm lens? I mean that is still up in the air. If it was the 15 or the 25, isn't Patty like 4'7 or 8'4 or something like that? If it is the 20mm, then we can rest assured that Patty is in the 6'-6'3" height range? Of couse if Patty was 4'7 it would be hard for a human head to fit in the costume, but if it was 8'4 I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

People fit into gorilla suit heads all the time at around 6' why is Bill's analysis rejecting this?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2013, 06:11 AM   #334
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Why don't you start? Set the tone and show how to go about debunking Munns.
Old 10th June 2013, 06:26 AM   #335
Drewbot
Philosopher

This is the image I am conjuring
http://desertpeace.files.wordpress.c...at-straws1.jpg
Old 10th June 2013, 07:05 AM   #336
Drewbot
Philosopher

Is it possible Bill Munns knows who built the suit, and is just messing with the footers?
Old 10th June 2013, 07:15 AM   #337
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Visually patty's head is 1/6 of the body size. Problem : you do not know the body size. if it is over 2m, then a human even one measuring 1m90 (6'3'') would go well into patty. You don't need much levy after all the face is so bushy it could hide much. ETA : and as pointed out film at the epoch had gorilla costume people all the time.

IIRC anyway basically Munn proved nothing, he just took a litteral interpretation of a "old time football leather helmet" and run with it. Which tells you the amount of research Munn did.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2013, 07:16 AM   #338
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Is it possible Bill Munns knows who built the suit, and is just messing with the footers?
Or he just doesn't care, and is simply padding his retirement fund.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2013, 08:37 AM   #339
GT/CS
Illuminator

IMO Bill knows Patty is bloke in a suit and he is scamming the 'footers.

To that point he seems to look for evidence of Patty being real that cannot be easily refuted, like the lens size, and now the head size. Meldrum snagged the best scam years ago and has been milking it evers since so Munns had to find something else; but the head size? Really Bill, that's the best you can come up with???

His analysis may impress a few die-hard 'footers but he knows it's total crap. He just wants TV time and therefore more money.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:04 AM   #340
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
He just wants TV time and therefore more money.
Don't forget the Academy Award he's gunning for.
Old 10th June 2013, 10:12 AM   #341
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Don't forget the Academy Award he's gunning for.

Maybe if he reveals he made the suit, and tells the story behind it in the film.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2013, 10:15 AM   #342
Drewbot
Philosopher

If he wins an Academy Award, he is going to kick himself for not going into film-making earlier in his career.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:26 AM   #343
Northern Lights
Muse

IMO Bill knows Patty is bloke in a suit and he is scamming the 'footers.

To that point he seems to look for evidence of Patty being real that cannot be easily refuted, like the lens size, and now the head size. Meldrum snagged the best scam years ago and has been milking it evers since so Munns had to find something else; but the head size? Really Bill, that's the best you can come up with???

His analysis may impress a few die-hard 'footers but he knows it's total crap. He just wants TV time and therefore more money.
Hello all-
New kid around here as you can tell from my post count. I'm what you would call a "footer", although I'm not particularly fond of the designation, I've been called worse. I didn't start out that way, but have steadily moved over to the dark side. I started out as a skeptic, and through my research in the field, moved to a believer and am now a knower.

GT/CS-I was interested in hearing why you think that Mr. Munns believes what you posted? I've tried to read just about everything he has written and I cannot recall ever seeing anything to indicate that is what he believes. He doesn't claim that Sasquatch exists, but in his latest breakdown at the Texas Bigfoot Conference, he does state that PGF is not a man in a costume.

I don't believe I'm allowed to post links yet, so you will have to look it up, but someone posted a link in another thread, but cannot seem to locate it.

Good stuff. Thanks
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 10:34 AM   #344
GT/CS
Illuminator

Have you read everything he's written on this site?

Munns has never said he believes in sasquatch but he says Patty is not a bloke in a suit?

What does he think she is if not a bigfoot?
Old 11th June 2013, 10:48 AM   #345
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Munns has never said he believes in sasquatch but he says Patty is not a bloke in a suit?

Swamp gas.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 11:38 AM   #346
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Hello all-
New kid around here as you can tell from my post count. I'm what you would call a "footer", although I'm not particularly fond of the designation, I've been called worse. I didn't start out that way, but have steadily moved over to the dark side. I started out as a skeptic, and through my research in the field, moved to a believer and am now a knower.
Apologies in advance if this is considered off-topic.

How are you a knower of bigfoot? I assume this to mean that you have seen one, correct?
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 11:43 AM   #347
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by STRONG LIKE BEAR View Post

How are you a knower of bigfoot? I assume this to mean that you have seen one, correct?
Light up the campfire.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 11:47 AM   #348
Northern Lights
Muse

No, I can't say I've read everything on this site. Some of it, but I'm sure there are posts I've missed.

Regarding his stance, your thoughts are pretty much in line with mine. He gives himself an out by not taking a position and proclaiming they exist. He says "I don't know what it is, but it isn't a man in a suit". I don't know why he won't jump the shark, but there really isn't any other logical conclusion.

I do think his analysis is quite good and as you stated before, us footers do hold it up as a shining star. His explanations make sense to me and although I'm not the sharpest knife on the tree, I like what he is saying.

I'm heading out to the field this weekend in search for the big guy, so I'll let you know if anything fun happens.

Take care.
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 11:51 AM   #349
Drewbot
Philosopher

He has said he believed in Bigfoot long before he came to any Bigfoot forum as 'Bill Munns'
Old 11th June 2013, 11:53 AM   #350
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm heading out to the field this weekend in search for the big guy, so I'll let you know if anything fun happens.
The woods are beautiful enough without imaginary additions to your trip. Try going in the woods and looking for real things, maybe a bigfoot will show up.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:03 PM   #351
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by STRONG LIKE BEAR View Post

Yes, I have through a thermal at about 20 feet back in 2009.

The woods are beautiful enough without imaginary additions to your trip. Try going in the woods and looking for real things, maybe a bigfoot will show up.
Nothing does happen the vast majority of the time. I have to constantly tell myself that just because a twig snaps, it isn't a squatch doing it. I do want encounters, but they are exceedingly rare and so I just keep trying.

It's pretty harmless and I enjoy it, so I will keep going. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she puts up with it.
Old 11th June 2013, 01:03 PM   #352
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yes, I have through a thermal at about 20 feet back in 2009.
Got into the bigfoot thermal thing early huh?

Quote:
Nothing does happen the vast majority of the time. I have to constantly tell myself that just because a twig snaps, it isn't a squatch doing it. I do want encounters, but they are exceedingly rare and so I just keep trying.
In what neck of the woods might this be? Just in general terms.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 01:20 PM   #353
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Got into the bigfoot thermal thing early huh?

In what neck of the woods might this be? Just in general terms.
My thermal was during a BFRO expedition (tale for another thread).

Northern Minnesota is where I've had the most luck. Heading up on Thursday for the weekend for some primitive camping and squatching with a group of friends.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:08 AM   #354
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Neat. Can get within 20 feet of one, but still can't actually find one.

It does follow the general pattern, though.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 07:09 AM   #355
The Shrike
Philosopher

How does a skeptic end up on a BFRO expedition and falling for a "thermal" as proof of bigfoot? Oh, and did you use a Zagnut to get the squatch to approach within 20'? They gotta have their Zagnuts!
Old 12th June 2013, 07:18 AM   #356
Drewbot
Philosopher

That is not a skeptic. He is here from BFF.
Old 12th June 2013, 07:38 AM   #357
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
How does a skeptic end up on a BFRO expedition and falling for a "thermal" as proof of bigfoot? Oh, and did you use a Zagnut to get the squatch to approach within 20'? They gotta have their Zagnuts!
And a can of beans with a screwdriver to open them with.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 08:11 AM   #358
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Neat. Can get within 20 feet of one, but still can't actually find one.

It does follow the general pattern, though.
At twenty paces, you could shoot it with:

A high-def camera

A rifle

A tranq gun

A net gun.

You could also set loose a pack of hounds like some do when they run cougar, or bear, or pigs, or deer in some states. But they don't. Instead we get a multi-colored indistinct thermal image. If I didn't know better, I'd say someone was trying to pull a fast one.
Old 12th June 2013, 08:35 AM   #359
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
You could also set loose a pack of hounds like some do when they run cougar, or bear, or pigs, or deer in some states. But they don't. .
And humans, dogs track down humans, but not Bigfoot, they is ascared of the Bigfoots. It was a smart cookie who came up with that one, "dogs is afraid of Bigfoots."

Probably Patterson, he knew he would get asked, 'why don't you just set the hounds after it.'

'Well there ain't no dog in the world that can overcome his natural fear of Bigfoots, we already tried that.'
Old 12th June 2013, 09:17 AM   #360
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

And humans, dogs track down humans, but not Bigfoot, they is ascared of the Bigfoots. It was a smart cookie who came up with that one, "dogs is afraid of Bigfoots."

Probably Patterson, he knew he would get asked, 'why don't you just set the hounds after it.'

'Well there ain't no dog in the world that can overcome his natural fear of Bigfoots, we already tried that.'
"Never trust anything that'd eat its own **** and **** its own mother."

ETA:

So dogs have no fear of bears, or humans, but they instinctively fear footie? And bigfoot enthusiasts buy this?

Last edited by Resume; 12th June 2013 at 10:17 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal