ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-vaxxers , Kat Von D , Katherine von Drachenberg , vaccination

Old 13th June 2018, 05:19 AM   #1
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Apparently Kat Von D is an anti-vaxxer (surprise, surprise)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenstrap...8Gk#.faxzKzE8J

To summarize, Kat Von D, aka she of the potential anti-Semitism with a husband who has swastikas tattooed on him and makes swastika art, is now getting on her high horse and claiming she plans to raise a "vegan child, without vaccinations", as she is pregnant with her first (I think). She proceeded to then tell people who oppose her stance to unfollow her.

Setting aside the hypocrisy of making a public post about how you plan to raise your child and then telling everyone in advance to shove off with their advice, I find her stance deeply disturbing on many levels. The Veganism is one thing, and while it is possible to raise your child vegan, I sincerely hope she does her research on finding the correct foods to feed her child at each stage of growth after she weans it from breastfeeding (which I assume she plans to do); but her lack of research, or rather research into the woo side of vaccinations, concerns me greatly. Not only is she placing her child at risk, she's placing every other child and adult who for whatever reason (immuno-compromised, too young for vaccinations, etc) can't get vaccinated at that moment at risk. And all because of a thoroughly debunked study from a man who has since been barred from practicing medicine because he flat-out lied in his work.

I have a friend who chose not to vaccinate her children, but with her I support her stance for several reasons. One, she suffered SEVERE allergic reactions to every vaccination she was ever given as a child (to the point of being hospitalized after every one), and she was concerned her children might suffer the same problem. Two, she homeschools and keeps a close eye on her children, and if they show the slightest sign of being sick she keeps them home and does not let them around the other children in the neighborhood until they are well. Three, she plans to let them make their own decisions about being vaccinated once they are old enough to make that choice. She is not choosing to not vaccinate her children because of a debunked study, and she is well aware that when sick her children are a danger to other children and adults who cannot be vaccinated for whatever reason and keeps them home as much as possible. Kat Von D on the other hand is, at least apparently, not vaccinating because of a ludicrous stance that has been thoroughly debunked, and that ticks me off. However, it seems this might hit her in the pocketbook at least; many people are now planning to boycott her cosmetics line in protest of her stance, so with any luck she'll feel at least a minor pinch for her lunacy.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 03:53 AM   #2
dann
Philosopher

Too bad for them!
A hepatitis C vaccine is being developed ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 04:30 AM   #3
kali1137
Muse

While I respect her work as a tattoo artist, her talent can't be denied, she is a raging narcissist. I honestly believe that she takes a lot of these stances just to cause a stir in a bid to remain relevant or at least talked about. I sincerely hope this is the case and she isn't dooming her child to all the dangers of her choices. I haven't been keeping up with her since her show went off the air, who is she having a kid with?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 06:12 AM   #4
sts60
Master Poster

“Idiot celebrity I never heard of says something stupid.” A truly reusable thread title.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
So the woman who has been poked with a contaminated needle millions of times has an issue with vaccines...
Thousands killed in a fifty megaton detonation of an irony meter.
Old 14th June 2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
While I respect her work as a tattoo artist, her talent can't be denied, she is a raging narcissist. I honestly believe that she takes a lot of these stances just to cause a stir in a bid to remain relevant or at least talked about. I sincerely hope this is the case and she isn't dooming her child to all the dangers of her choices. I haven't been keeping up with her since her show went off the air, who is she having a kid with?
According to her Wikipedia page, Rafael Reyes. Don't know a whole lot about him; he's an artist and musician, who has SUPPOSEDLY used swastikas in some fashion in his artwork (nothing on his Wiki page about that though, and I can't remember where I heard the accusation either).
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 10:25 AM   #7
kali1137
Muse

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
According to her Wikipedia page, Rafael Reyes. Don't know a whole lot about him; he's an artist and musician, who has SUPPOSEDLY used swastikas in some fashion in his artwork (nothing on his Wiki page about that though, and I can't remember where I heard the accusation either).
http://remezcla.com/features/music/artist-tattoos/ - shows his tattoo and his explanation behind it. I didn't do a lot of research on him but it sounds like he would get behind her decisions simply on her say so.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 06:26 PM   #8
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
So the woman who has been poked with a contaminated needle millions of times has an issue with vaccines...
Thousands killed in a fifty megaton detonation of an irony meter.
Agreed.
And I have to snicker at the term "Tattoo Artist".
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 08:26 AM   #9
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I watched one of those shows years ago. She never struck me as... sharp.
Old 18th June 2018, 01:44 PM   #10
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Agreed.
Why?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 10:45 AM   #11
PhreePhly
Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Agreed.
Really? And I say this as someone who has no tattoos and no plans to ever get one, but I have seen some absolutely incredible works of art on people.

A close friend of mine lost his 18-year old son in a car accident and had the son's portrait tattooed onto his upper arm. I kept telling him not to, as every picture portrait I'd seen was horrible. He ended up going to some very famous tattoo artist in LA (sorry, don't know the name, again, tattoos are not my thing) and I was blown away by the artistry. The image made use of the natural muscle tone in such a way that when the arm moved and the muscle flexed, it seemed like the image compensated to keep it looking clean and not deformed. I was blown away.

A friend of mine from the Netherlands had a orange tulip tattooed onto her calf and the shading and color tone made that flower almost look life like. The human skin is not a great canvas to work with, yet some of these artist do incredible work.

Edit:
To keep this on topic, however, the anti-vax stuff is just nuts. Even more nuts is the fact that she goes out of her way to proclaim it in public, then gets pissed when the public responds overwhelmingly negative to how stupid it is. I can't comment on the veganism, as I think it's possible to maintain a proper diet, even with a small child, but boy that seems like a lot of work and research.

Last edited by PhreePhly; 19th June 2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: To Keep on Topic
PhreePhly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology