ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:55 PM   #281
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Summarizing what we have been able to find out so far, this is what we got:

1) the alleged feat by Ven. Mingun Sayadaw in 1954 has not been properly verified, apparently;

2) other Theradava monks in Myanmar have been allegedly able to memorize thousands of pages of the Tipitaka at once and to recall them at random in front of a panel. The memorization has allegedly been close to perfect but not 100% perfect. Evidence from this comes from examinations held by the local government and other Buddhist organizations that held the exams more or less frequently. The evidence is posted in their sites and has been shown here. As far as I know, no-one I know is claiming with evidence that such monks use or have used any kind of "supernatural power" to achieve their feat;

3) other people through history have been able to remember and recall at random long parts of written texts with verification, even if way less than what the monks have been able to do (the Hafiz are able to memorize and recall the Qran apparently, but the amount of text in Qran seems to be way shorter than the amount of text the monks above have been able to memorize at once, say 1/5 to 1/10 as a rough approximation).

4) no evidence has been posted here about other human beings being able to memorize anything close to what the monks of point number 2) have been able to do even if there is evidence of other individuals with exceptional memorization abilities;

5) in this forum trolling, baiting, going off-topic and bullying abound.

This I believe more or less summarized what we have found so far and more or less ends this research, pending someone coming out with new evidence.

Last edited by MMarco; 23rd September 2020 at 08:57 PM.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:02 PM   #282
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
We simply desire to you use words clearly and consistently, and not to become unpleasant when people don't follow you.
As a side question: you use the word "we" as you are some kind of spoke person for the forum or simply as an honorific title for yourself?
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:25 PM   #283
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
I have no interest in asking you to post evidence about claims that are only yours and you yourself have little interest to research upon.
Soooooo.......you still haven't bothered to contact the Myanmar Buddhist Society to obtain any facts?

It would seem you find your claim as boring as we all do.


/////////////////////////////////////////

Blackadder : Eyes More Beautiful Than the Famous Stone of Galveston
Lord Percy, a true idiot, claims, the Spanish Infanta's eyes are more blue than the famous stone of Galveston. Prince Edmund asks Lord Percy if he has seen either the famous stone of Galveston or the Infanta's eyes. Lord Percy say no to both. The TV audience laughs at Lord Percy's stupidity.


MMarco tells us of how the Mingun Sayadaw has memorised an amazing number of books. Skeptics ask MMarco for the actual list of books and the verification process. MMarco say he doesn't know.

MMarco then claims he is upsetting skeptics, when they are in fact laughing at him, like Lord Percy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6fluCc8b2A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackadder-1.jpg (55.0 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:31 PM   #284
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
As a side question: you use the word "we" as you are some kind of spoke person (sic) for the forum or simply as an honorific title for yourself?
It means skeptics reviewing extraordinary claims made on our skeptic forum.

Are you pretending you simply randomly posted your wishy washy claim on this forum not knowing it was a skeptics forum?

If hard skeptical questions upset you try posting your little story on a more friendly Buddhist forum.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:41 AM   #285
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 16,542
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
...
I have no interest in asking you to post evidence about claims that are only yours and you yourself have little interest to research upon.
Yet you expect us to have interest about claims that are only yours and you yourself have little interest to research upon.

Quote:
This I believe more or less summarized what we have found so far and more or less ends this research, pending someone coming out with new evidence.
Someone?


Let us know what you find out.
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 24th September 2020 at 03:45 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 04:14 AM   #286
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Except for the monks (if true) I have seen no other human being being able to do that.
I have posted a link of a girl who has (allegedly) memorised every single Harry Potter book. Over a million words.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...69930c1aaa3242

"The 26-year-old from Brisbane is one of 80 people worldwide with a condition called Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory (HSAM), which means she remembers every moment of her life in extraordinary detail.

She even has memories from before that 12th day, but can’t date them because she was so young.

Name a random day from 20 years ago, and Rebecca can tell you what she was wearing, what the weather was like and the exact sequence of things she did and saw.

“Any day I’ve experienced, I can recall,” she told news.com.au. “If I had knowledge of calendars and dates at that time, I can date them. I can remember every birthday since my first birthday.”

A Harry Potter fan, Rebecca has memorised every word of all seven books. In years one and two, she began reading the atlas, and could recite the capital of every country in the world"

Last edited by RolandRat; 24th September 2020 at 04:17 AM.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 06:02 AM   #287
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I have posted a link of a girl who has (allegedly) memorised every single Harry Potter book. Over a million words.
After so much trolling, finally an interesting piece of info!
Has there been any verification of this claim?
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 06:25 AM   #288
Leftus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,113
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
I am happy that in your city people recite by heart and at random passages of "War and Peace", in my city this does not happen.
Please come to my city, show your abilities to any TV program and make $$.

By the way, there is the evidence that remembering thousands of pages of a written text at random is a "normal feat".?
Except for the monks (if true) I have seen no other human being being able to do that.
More likely I could recite "War Pigs" and not "War and Peace" Could I do any Shakespeare as Tolstoy is a tough ask. Russian lit is hard enough to slog through. Which is why I never said I could.

Which city? You don't have it in your profile. Which TV program? And what, specifically is the pay amount?

"normal" as in contrast to a supernatural, or otherwise unnatural claim.

Also, quit avoiding the question. How much word value is in the melody of the song in question?

Last edited by Leftus; 24th September 2020 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Normal reason
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 07:15 AM   #289
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
After so much trolling, finally an interesting piece of info!
Has there been any verification of this claim?
This is about the third time I have posted it. I have no idea if there has been any further verification of her claim.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 07:55 AM   #290
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,819
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
As a side question: you use the word "we" as you are some kind of spoke person for the forum or simply as an honorific title for yourself?
Neither.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 07:59 AM   #291
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,819
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
no evidence has been posted here about other human beings being able to memorize anything close to what the monks of point number 2) have been able to do even if there is evidence of other individuals with exceptional memorization abilities;
And your point is ... ?

Quote:
This I believe more or less summarized what we have found so far and more or less ends this research, pending someone coming out with new evidence.
As you seem to have no interest in further researching yourself the matter you raised, there seems little left to discuss that hasn't already been covered.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 08:11 AM   #292
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
This is about the third time I have posted it. I have no idea if there has been any further verification of her claim.
I am sorry if I could not read well the first time.
"Further verification" seems to imply there has been an initial verification of her claim.
Where and how this initial verification took place?
I am little bit in a hurry but I tried to find words about this verification process in the link you have posted but could not find anything.
If you could be more specific, thank you.

Last edited by MMarco; 24th September 2020 at 08:12 AM.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 08:18 AM   #293
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 16,778
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
I have no interest in asking you to post evidence about claims that are only yours and you yourself have little interest to research upon.

No problem. As it happens I did make some inquiries, and as I suspected, for those who are interested, Eastern Orthodox churches are where you're most likely to find Bible memorizers. Unlike the Catholics, they don't have a deep-seated aversion to practices resembling idolatry, nor tend to understate the importance of scripture to favor an established official doctrine. Unlike the Protestants, they have no deep-seated aversion to theurgic, ceremonial, and esoteric devotional practices. There's also another factor I hadn't considered, which is recent persecution in the Soviet states which made the future availability of Bibles uncertain. In such situations, memorization is a way to help assure the continuity of suppressed traditions.

In any case, I note that some Protestant Bible memorizers (who have memorized specific books, not the entirety) claim to have learned the mnemonic techniques they use from Eastern Orthodox clergy. Information published by the Orthodox church for member families includes encouragement of "casual" Bible memorization of short passages as a spiritual exercise by lay worshippers including children. This makes it likely that some monastic clergy have practiced extensive memorization. But, such practitioners are not likely to be seeking publicity in the Western world. If you want to search for them, you'll have to look deep in Russia, among groups with secretive habits ingrained throughout past decades.
__________________
A zřmbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 08:18 AM   #294
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
I am sorry if I could not read well the first time.
"Further verification" seems to imply there has been an initial verification of her claim.
Where and how this initial verification took place?
I am little bit in a hurry but I tried to find words about this verification process in the link you have posted but could not find anything.
If you could be more specific, thank you.
I'll re-phrase. I have no idea if there has been any verification of her claim.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 09:14 AM   #295
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
<respectful snip>

This I believe more or less summarized what we have found so far and more or less ends this research, pending someone coming out with new evidence.
That seems like a reasonable summation to me. So. Based on this research, what do you conclude?

I conclude that Mingun Sayadaw passed the actual exam more or less as claimed by the administrators of the exam, and that this is impressive but within the limits of what's humanly possible. My conclusion is open to change based on new evidence.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 09:18 AM   #296
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,819
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I conclude that Mingun Sayadaw passed the actual exam more or less as claimed by the administrators of the exam, and that this is impressive but within the limits of what's humanly possible. My conclusion is open to change based on new evidence.
Same here. Humanly possible, clearly superlative, and open to reinterpretation if new evidence arises.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 09:37 AM   #297
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,004
We could round off this thread by flagging off a contest. Whoever is able to recite flawlessly from memory this thread from start to finish, right up till the last post, will be awarded the title Sayadaw. That title will be added to their profile.

Contestants can post vids of themselves reciting their stuff here. And if you're able to sing in tune every song linked here, as well as recite the thread, then you're clearly deserving not just of awards but of veneration, and you'll get the title 'Venerable Sayadaw'.

(Much as I'd love to test myself in this very attractive contest, I must very reluctantly recuse myself, since I'm the guy that floated this idea. Matter of principles. I'm strong on them, principles. ----- Good luck, the rest of you. Upload your stuff, and may the merciful Buddha guide your noble effort.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 09:44 AM   #298
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
We could round off this thread by flagging off a contest. Whoever is able to recite flawlessly from memory this thread from start to finish, right up till the last post, will be awarded the title Sayadaw. That title will be added to their profile.
Honest opinion: I think it would be presumptuous and disrespectful of us to appropriate a title from Buddhist religion that traditionally denotes a mystic of very high learning and devotion.

I propose the title, "Sayalot", as in "that person sure can say a lot of words from memory."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 10:04 AM   #299
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,896
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That seems like a reasonable summation to me. So. Based on this research, what do you conclude?

I conclude that Mingun Sayadaw passed the actual exam more or less as claimed by the administrators of the exam, and that this is impressive but within the limits of what's humanly possible. My conclusion is open to change based on new evidence.
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Same here. Humanly possible, clearly superlative, and open to reinterpretation if new evidence arises.
Is this the point where someone posts /thread? if so:

/thread.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 11:51 AM   #300
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,004
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Honest opinion: I think it would be presumptuous and disrespectful of us to appropriate a title from Buddhist religion that traditionally denotes a mystic of very high learning and devotion.

Agreed. Wilful and unnecessary disrespect of someone's cherished faith/tradition is dickish, not witty. Apologies to any Buddhists who might find their way here!


Quote:
I propose the title, "Sayalot", as in "that person sure can say a lot of words from memory."

Now that's witty. Seconded.

--

So, the videos, people, as soon as you're ready. Feel free to dope, use mnemonics, whatever, to speed it up. Unlike the Ven Mingun Sayadaw, don't wait till you're sixty. Unless you're already sixty.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 02:07 PM   #301
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 21,181
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Now that's witty. Seconded.
Agreed.

Quote:
So, the videos, people, as soon as you're ready. Feel free to dope, use mnemonics, whatever, to speed it up. Unlike the Ven Mingun Sayadaw, don't wait till you're sixty. Unless you're already sixty.
This challenge faces some of the same technical issues that this year's spelling bee is likely to face at the school and district level. Can you have an accurate test of memory that is filmed by the test subject?

I'd be tempted to post an obvious fake video of me just reading the thread if it had been more enjoyable to read the first time around. Maybe I could just read the OP and JayUtah's posts? They may be long enough and they are well written and engaging. (Has anybody else noticed that guy tends to write good stuff?)
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 08:01 PM   #302
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I'll re-phrase. I have no idea if there has been any verification of her claim.
I did little research and it appears there has been no verification on the subject.
So I thank you for trying but this claim goes to the bin along with the claims of UFO sightings and Lochness monsters.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That seems like a reasonable summation to me. So. Based on this research, what do you conclude?
The summary is the conclusion

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I conclude that Mingun Sayadaw passed the actual exam more or less as claimed by the administrators of the exam, and that this is impressive but within the limits of what's humanly possible. My conclusion is open to change based on new evidence.
"Within the limits of what is humanly" possible is both an unverified statement and a tautology, depending on how you see it.
If it has been done, it has to be "humanly possible", right?
Even cold reading if proven would be "humanly possible"

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
We could round off this thread by flagging off a contest. Whoever is able to recite flawlessly from memory this thread from start to finish, right up till the last post, will be awarded the title Sayadaw. That title will be added to their profile.
No way.
Sayadaws, or however we want to call them, are able to remember a text way longer than the content of this thread
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 08:03 PM   #303
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'd be tempted to post an obvious fake video of me just reading the thread if it had been more enjoyable to read the first time around. Maybe I could just read the OP and JayUtah's posts? They may be long enough and they are well written and engaging. (Has anybody else noticed that guy tends to write good stuff?)
Remembering word by word some of the longest comments by JayUtah may not grant you the title of best text memorizer in the world but surely would get my attention
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 11:57 PM   #304
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
So I thank you for trying but this claim goes to the bin along with the claims of UFO sightings and Lochness monsters...
...and Buddhist monks, where you don't even know what books they had to remember over five years.....
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM   #305
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Even cold reading if proven would be "humanly possible"
Cold reading is proven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #306
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Wrong example
ESP then
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #307
Leftus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,113
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
No way.
Sayadaws, or however we want to call them, are able to remember a text way longer than the content of this thread
So I take it you are going to continue to ignore my question about the word value in the melody of a song? And which TV program is going to pay me the big money, no whammies? Nor address how much money is big money? Are we talking Kia money or Rolls Royce money? Think I could get my Rolls money by the 13th? I've got an invite to the dealership for them to roll out something and they think I've got money.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #308
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 21,181
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Remembering word by word some of the longest comments by JayUtah may not grant you the title of best text memorizer in the world but surely would get my attention
I'd still have to fake it. As good as JayUtahs' writing is at communicating an idea in clear and unambiguous language, it just doesn't fit to any rhythm. Memory is all about the beats.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #309
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
"Within the limits of what is humanly" possible is both an unverified statement and a tautology, depending on how you see it.
If it has been done, it has to be "humanly possible", right?
Right. So let me re-order my conclusions:

The test, as described, sounds challenging but within the limits of what I think is humanly possible.

Because the test, as described, sounds possible, I'm provisionally accepting the claim that it actually happened as described. Even though the claim hasn't been subjected to rigorous verification.

And since the claim hasn't really been verified, there's probably not much more to say about it. Like you, I think it's totally appropriate to simply discard unverified claims.

Mostly at this point I'm interested in seeing what you think is left to discuss. Will you be putting the Sayadaw's memory claim in the bin along with the claims of UFO sightings and Lochness monsters and girls who memorized Harry Potter?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #310
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Mostly at this point I'm interested in seeing what you think is left to discuss. Will you be putting the Sayadaw's memory claim in the bin along with the claims of UFO sightings and Lochness monsters and girls who memorized Harry Potter?
I'd be interested in that as well. It was kinda the point of my mentioning "Harry Potter girl".
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #311
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
So I take it you are going to continue to ignore my question about the word value in the melody of a song? And which TV program is going to pay me the big money, no whammies? Nor address how much money is big money? Are we talking Kia money or Rolls Royce money? Think I could get my Rolls money by the 13th? I've got an invite to the dealership for them to roll out something and they think I've got money.
Please do not take it as a personal offence, not my intention.
But you guys post always the same comment, do not read the answer and report the same comment again.
This is really boring..
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #312
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Right. So let me re-order my conclusions:

The test, as described, sounds challenging but within the limits of what I think is humanly possible.
If it has been done it is de-facto within the limits of what is humanly possible.
So what is the point of your comment?

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Because the test, as described, sounds possible, I'm provisionally accepting the claim that it actually happened as described. Even though the claim hasn't been subjected to rigorous verification.
Good

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And since the claim hasn't really been verified, there's probably not much more to say about it. Like you, I think it's totally appropriate to simply discard unverified claims.
Well, there has been verification by a government commission on some of the claims so.. maybe you did not read too well the previous comments

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Mostly at this point I'm interested in seeing what you think is left to discuss. Will you be putting the Sayadaw's memory claim in the bin along with the claims of UFO sightings and Lochness monsters and girls who memorized Harry Potter?
Not really as there has been exams done in front of a panel from the Myanmar Government, which is not something that happened for the Harry Potter' s girl, for UFOs and for the Lochness monster and for ESP as far as I know.
So I would advise you to read what has been written so far instead of posting the same inaccurate comments over and over.
If instead what you want to do is troll, please go ahead, you are not the only one.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I'd be interested in that as well. It was kinda the point of my mentioning "Harry Potter girl".
Could not find any evidence of this so let' s see if someone here does.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #313
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
"Harry Potter girl".
Harry Potter Girl
Becky Sharrock, a 26-year-old Australian woman has memorized and can recite all of JK Rowling’s celebrated Harry Potter books word-for-word. Sharrock hails from Brisbane and has a mental condition called Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory (HSAM), which means she remembers every moment of her life in extraordinary detail.

“I tested her on the (Harry Potter) books because she says she can remember every single word from every single book,” said Allison Langdon who interviewed Sharrock for Channel 9. “So I would pick up a book and open a page and read her a line and immediately she would name the book, chapter number, chapter name and could recite every word until I told her to stop,” Langdon told news.com.au.


https://www.hindustantimes.com/books...McWRz5xrM.html

//////////////////////////////////

How long does it take to read a million words?
Answer: 1,000,000 words will take about 55.6 hours to read for the average reader. Typical documents that are 1,000,000 words or more include full-length novels.
https://capitalizemytitle.com/readin...erage%20reader.


So divide that 55 hours up by five years and the whole Mingun Savadaw claim becomes rather pathetic.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #314
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Harry Potter Girl
“I tested her on the (Harry Potter) books because she says she can remember every single word from every single book,” said Allison Langdon who interviewed Sharrock for Channel 9. “So I would pick up a book and open a page and read her a line and immediately she would name the book, chapter number, chapter name and could recite every word until I told her to stop,” Langdon told news.com.au. [/color]
Nice find
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #315
RolandRat
Muse
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
If it has been done it is de-facto within the limits of what is humanly possible.
So what is the point of your comment?
Going by that standard, what is the point of the thread?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #316
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,896
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Going by that standard, what is the point of the thread?
I think this:

Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Hi all,
recently I stumbled upon an article about a Myanmar monk called Mingun Sayadaw, a Myanmar monk who in 1954 has been able to (apparently) flawless recall and recite all the content from the 16000 pages of the Tipitaka in front of other people. This is over 2 million words.
Just Google "Mingun Sayadaw Book of World Records"
The feat has been listed in at least two editions of the Guinness of World Records.
I know about people with exceptional memory abilities but I am wondering whether this is not beyond what an human mind can be able to do so I am wondering if there is anybody out there who knows more than me about the subject.
Seems we have consensus that the memory accomplishments of Mingun Sayadaw are well within the abilities of the human mind.

And a secondary point seems to be that there are numerous people "out there" who know more about the subject than the op. Although I do think that the op now knows more about the subject than previously.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #317
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Harry Potter Girl
Becky Sharrock, a 26-year-old Australian woman has memorized and can recite all of JK Rowling’s celebrated Harry Potter books word-for-word. Sharrock hails from Brisbane and has a mental condition called Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory (HSAM), which means she remembers every moment of her life in extraordinary detail.

“I tested her on the (Harry Potter) books because she says she can remember every single word from every single book,” said Allison Langdon who interviewed Sharrock for Channel 9. “So I would pick up a book and open a page and read her a line and immediately she would name the book, chapter number, chapter name and could recite every word until I told her to stop,” Langdon told news.com.au.


https://www.hindustantimes.com/books...McWRz5xrM.html

//////////////////////////////////

How long does it take to read a million words?
Answer: 1,000,000 words will take about 55.6 hours to read for the average reader. Typical documents that are 1,000,000 words or more include full-length novels.
https://capitalizemytitle.com/readin...erage%20reader.


So divide that 55 hours up by five years and the whole Mingun Savadaw claim becomes rather pathetic.
Finally some informative post from you! (Kind of)
About time I would say.

Now we have to check if there is any serious evidence beyond this claim other than an interview in the Hindustan Times.
From the monks in Myanmar we have an entire panel from the Ministry of Religious Affairs, let's hope we can find something like that for the Harry Potter Girl.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Going by that standard, what is the point of the thread?
If you are not interested in the discussion, what is your point of commenting here? I am just politely asking you.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think this:
Seems we have consensus that the memory accomplishments of Mingun Sayadaw are well within the abilities of the human mind.
Probably it would have been more precise from my side to have written
"I am wondering whether this is not beyond what an human mind is usually thought to be able to do so"
since I do not think anyone knows for sure what an human mind is able to do or not.
If anyone knows the exact limits of what an human mind is able to do can speak out.
I do not.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And a secondary point seems to be that there are numerous people "out there" who know more about the subject than the op. Although I do think that the op now knows more about the subject than previously.
So you know what I know.
Interesting, I was wondering if being able to read in the mind of other people at distance may qualify for being "paranormal".
Or maybe it is simply trolling?

Last edited by MMarco; Yesterday at 09:08 PM.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #318
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Now we have to check if there is any serious evidence beyond this claim other than an interview in the Hindustan Times.
Learn to read. It was broadcast live on CH9 in Australia on the same show James Randi debunked Yuri Gellar. Whereas you have nothing.

Your little story about amazing human memories is fading faster in significance, with each post made here.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #319
MMarco
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Learn to read. It was broadcast live on CH9 in Australia on the same show James Randi debunked Yuri Gellar. Whereas you have nothing.

Your little story about amazing human memories is fading faster in significance, with each post made here.
No need to be rude.
We are all trying to understand here

The verification process was broadcast live on CH9?
I mean, I found this video here where the girl was interviewed on CH9 and other channels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVG9LTMXUzE
But I can not find who did the verification process.

Added
Here as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_k9ZLRgTeo

Last edited by MMarco; Today at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.