ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old Today, 07:45 AM   #961
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
"Out Crap reactor keeps blowing up and melting parts! Give us money so we can melt more crap!"

If any of the BLP staff decided to "go legit" they could pitch a show to the Discovery Channel about melting things and blowing them up in new and novel ways. "This Sunday, on 'Friggin Weird Big Booms!' We know jet fuel can't melt steel beams, so we explore what CAN!"

Cut to scene of a hunk of steel being reduced to plasma by a massive electrical surge.
You owe me half a cup of coffee and a new keyboard.
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #962
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly, they lacked the substantial fundraising skills of Mr. Mills.

That and they kept trying to stage public demos to "prove" their tech instead of better controlled Dog-and-Pony shows in front of smaller audiences of potential investors.
Back in the day I had a customer in the same shared facility. Whenever mentioned, the universal response was "Oh, those guys". I followed the forum while it was public as a lurker. As I recall, when it went sub only, even the most ardent supporters went postal. I think a few are still active on ecat, but I have not looked in years.

You might ask why this particular instance attracted my attention. Fair enough. Simply put, one generally finds such things in other countries thousands of miles away. Those guys operated out of a location within walking distance of my home. That was sufficiently unusual. What are the chances? That a free energy proponent claiming over-unity was right on my doorstep? And I could simply walk in and ask very pointy questions?

Oh, there were never any pointy answers.

Now our proponent Progrocker asks "Whatever happened to Steorn?". It seems to me that an overunity proponent could not possibly be unaware of that spectacular collapse. It was everywhere in the overunity community. Perhaps he/she is sufficiently young to have missed the entire fiasco. That's perfectly valid. Nevertheless, there are those of us who watched it all play out in real life and the similarity to Mills is uncanny.
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #963
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I'm not so sure about that. You need to parse his statements carefully. A device that "operates continuously and produces megawatts of power" is not the same as a device that "produces megawatts of power continuously".

Similarly, many of the more outlandish claims are in articles about BLP. I suspect that Mills is careful to state that his devices "will do X" (a prediction that he could be honestly mistaken about) instead of that they actually "do X now" (a potential lie or fraud). Mills can't be held accountable if a reporter fails to pick up on this nuance and publishes incorrect information, can he?
Somebody/somebodies make their living out of crafting claims that cannot be litigated. The honest among us may not like it, but it isn't illegal in any way.
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #964
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
You owe me half a cup of coffee and a new keyboard.
Careful, you'll encourage me.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #965
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
He also claims that in the SunCell the input power is the equivalent of "about two hair dryers" and that it produces 20 million watts from seven-millionths of a liter of water
Do you realize what's wrong with the hilighted part?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:13 AM   #966
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not so sure about that. You need to parse his statements carefully. A device that "operates continuously and produces megawatts of power" is not the same as a device that "produces megawatts of power continuously".

Similarly, many of the more outlandish claims are in articles about BLP. I suspect that Mills is careful to state that his devices "will do X" (a prediction that he could be honestly mistaken about) instead of that they actually "do X now" (a potential lie or fraud). Mills can't be held accountable if a reporter fails to pick up on this nuance and publishes incorrect information, can he?
I don't think so. He's pretty blatant. But I agree that careful attention to the words is needed.

He even claimed that the continuous megawatt power production eventually melted the device.

You may recall that the rotating gears/wheels of the CIHT cell had to spin much faster to continuously produce power. The power production was not "continuous" at low rotating speeds.

Here's a quote from a BLP press release:

Quote:
All four methodologies cross-confirmed the production of megawatt scale power that was continuous in the case of the SunCell® with spectacular commercial potential.
And another using the term "joules" rather oddly. 1 megajoule is about 275 watt hours.

Quote:
Test results indicated that energy generation was proportional to the total amount of solid fuel, and only one percent of the one million joules of the energy released could be accounted for by previously known chemistry.
Quote:
BLP’s 50,000 watt reactor generated over 1 million joules of energy in a precise measurement made by Rowan University engineers, led by Dr. Peter Jansson. The independent study included full characterization of a proprietary solid fuel to generate the energy before and after the reaction.
If you read a lot of Mills' statements over the years, it's all a bit mixed up and contradictory and confusing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #967
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Roughly 7 million cars were sold in the USA in 2016.

Those cars alone, if driven 10K miles per year, would consume 70 million liters of water per year if powered by BLP, according to Mills.

Let's take an easy number that is likely very low, and say that there are 100 million cars on the road in the USA.

That would be 1 billion liters of water per year consumed if those cars ran on BLP, at 10K miles per year.

That's just our personal vehicles, and it's off by a whole lot, on the low side.

And it's just in the USA.

I haven't looked into worldwide figures for cars and houses, etc., but this is water that is gone...not coming back.

I don't know what sort of a dent this would make in our available water, but it doesn't sound good.
Global fresh water consumption is estimated to be 9 Trillion cubic meters per year. The majority of that is for cooling machinery, followed by agriculture use.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #968
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Global fresh water consumption is estimated to be 9 Trillion cubic meters per year. The majority of that is for cooling machinery, followed by agriculture use.
And it all eventually ends up back in the water cycle, none of it lost forever. If what Mills claims is true (stop that laughing, I said IF) the water that goes into his device is broken down into hydrogen and oxygen, with the hydrogen then being converted to "Hydrinos", never to be water again.
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #969
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
And it all eventually ends up back in the water cycle, none of it lost forever. If what Mills claims is true (stop that laughing, I said IF) the water that goes into his device is broken down into hydrogen and oxygen, with the hydrogen then being converted to "Hydrinos", never to be water again.
Ah, but in the crisis lies the cure!

All we'd need is a Hydrino powered spaceship to go into space and collect a few comets. Then the comets can be brought back to earth, infecting us with alien microbes that will wipe out all sentient life on the planet.

What?

We're already firmly on sci-fi ground with Hydrino boy and his amazing exploding reactor.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #970
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

There certainly *is* independently replicated evidence of anomalous energy. The fact that you're not familiar with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Read Beaudette. Assuming experimental error without actually defining where the error(s) exist is akin to saying "I'll see it when I believe it!" Not a very flattering admission from a scientist.

I'm assuming by "fringe science" that you mean the region where scientific revolutions typically originate--around the margins, often by outsiders?
Dunno. Can you give me that in watts per cow?
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #971
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Yes, but most of that does not disappear. Most of that returns to the water cycle.

BLP's device literally consumes the water, and it does not return to the water cycle. It is lost.

I don't think the world can or would tolerate the continuous loss of trillions of liters of water.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; Today at 01:06 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #972
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yes, but most of that does not disappear. Most of that returns to the water cycle.

BLP's device literally consumes the water, and it does not return to the water cycle. It is lost.

I don't think the world can or would tolerate the continuous loss of trillions of liters of water.
Maybe we could offset sea levels rising? And increase atmospheric oxygen, that must be a good thing right? /s
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #973
halleyscomet
Philosopher

There certainly *is* independently replicated evidence of anomalous energy. The fact that you're not familiar with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Read Beaudette. Assuming experimental error without actually defining where the error(s) exist is akin to saying "I'll see it when I believe it!" Not a very flattering admission from a scientist.
Nope.

None of that "replication" has been independent. The individual claims of "replication" have been gone over elsewhere in this thread, so you can be excused for not knowing they were largely debunked. BLP staff has been involved in every one of those tests. Even when someone else actually ran the BLP equipment, BLP staff were processing the results. Independent confirmation would mean someone else demonstrating Hydrino formation on their own equipment without prodding and help from BLP staff.

I'm assuming by "fringe science" that you mean the region where scientific revolutions typically originate--around the margins, often by outsiders?
"Fringe science" is a polite derogatory term for "******* crazy BS with no connection to reality." Actual progress, regardless of if it comes from outsiders or not, is not "fringe" science. It's just "science."
Old Today, 05:46 PM   #974
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I think one of the things that attracts to Mills is the lone ranger going against the big bad faceless group, where the lone ranger seeks to help the downtrodden and the big bad wants to just use them for money. Einstein and Galileo are referenced a lot as similar lone rangers.
Except this Lone Ranger (and his Tanto, ProgRokker) is only in it for the bucks. It's disgusting, the levels of greed that Mills shows when he's been sitting on the one thing that would turn all of science on its head and propel humanity into a new, prosperous era of essentially free energy all because he wants to be paid first. Even though he'd be more than richly compensated after releasing such a device; I'm sure there are philanthropists enough to make him and his family and future generations quite comfortable.

Quote:
Of course, when you actually start looking at the individual claims this falls apart.

There is no single entity suppressing new knowledge, no matter how much Mill's supporters claim this. For each vested professor that would like to keep his theories valid, there are 10 equally capable rivals willing to take him down and 100+ PhD students all ready to break trough with the next new thing.

Einstein and Galileo both had their theories validated well within 30 years, both without making a single practical application, but rather by engaging in discussion and allowing others to try and take their theories apart, unlike Mills secrecy and sueing of critics.

Mills claims to work in some unique way that no one else (including anywhere in observable nature) can replicate. But all of his setups replicate reactions that occur in both normal chemistry and during volcanic eruptions on earth regularly. And we do no see the mid-oceanic ridge explode continuously nor do chemical plants involved in (for instance) ammonia production explode due to massive unpredicted energy generation.

Mills claims to want to solve the energy problem, but 'scaling down' keeps the product from reaching individuals. Yet never is it explained why he cannot just scale his product up and slot it into the existing power plants so everyone can get cheap energy.

More reasons to draw a parallel between Mills and a movie. It both looks good and the story is nice, but it falls apart in the real world.
All good points, impossible to ignore (try as the Millsians might!).
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:53 PM   #975
ProgRokker
Scholar

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Clearly, then, you don't understand what Mills is claiming; he's claimed that the reaction is self-sustaining, but has never to my knowledge claimed that it's self-sustaining indefinitely without a source of hydrogen to fuel the continuing reaction. In fact, clearly you don't understand what you yourself are claiming, because you go on to say:
Mills has a machine he turns on at the factory and it's run by water until the parts run out in 20 years or so. It may not technically be perpetual motion, but gimme a freakin' break: it runs on water, for next to nothing.

You must have been the guy at Christmas who couldn't wait to get up and tell his siblings that Santa Claus isn't real.
ProgRokker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:06 PM   #976
ProgRokker
Scholar

If you collect the power of two hair dryers (about 3KW) over a period of time you gather a lot of energy. If you then release it all at once you have megawatts of power and can perform an impressive demonstration, producing far higher temperatures than those hair dryers ever could. Nothing new or exciting.
Laff! Are you suggesting that this is the parlor trick Mills uses to melt tungsten and vaporize silver? Even your skeptical brethren are cringing at that suggestion.

Isn't it more economical to just subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Mills is faking everything with seam welders and trick camera work?
ProgRokker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:16 PM   #977
ProgRokker
Scholar

Nope.
Nope...right back at you. I was referring to prior experiments by other entities, including universities and other governmental bodies, as documented in Charles Beaudette's book "Excess Heat".

Those interested in the almost 30 years of progress made in the low energy nuclear reactions field--as well as its possible connections to Mills' hydrino work--might want to read the book.
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #978
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Believe me. I read through the thread. And it's miles and miles of people saying hydrinos can't exist.

Frankly, I don't care if hydrinos exist. I care only about "regurgitating" the observational evidence.

The anomalous energy claims are the single most important aspect of this saga. If the claims are accurate, hydrino or not, something truly novel is occurring.
Not novel. Mundane. Burning metals at high temps is quite well known. Not only that, it is easily repeatable. In fact any welder, it's actually with effort one has to expend to avoid it. And serious safety equipment to protect eyes and skin:

Welding - Radiation and the Effects On Eyes and Skin

Keep in mind this level of radiation occurs with plenty of flux and /or shielding gas to PREVENT the water from burning the metals. Otherwise it gets many times stronger even than the above!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #979
jrhowell
Scholar

Laff! Are you suggesting that this is the parlor trick Mills uses to melt tungsten and vaporize silver?
Steorn and Rossi may have used trickery, but Mills the the real deal? I don't think so!

His videos are flashy, but don't actually show anything beyond accepted physics and chemistry.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology