ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM   #1921
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

No, Pixel, but if it is OK for you to add words and commas within quote marks, it can also be read as 'all Leave voters, who want Eastern Europeans out, are xenophobic'. Given the alternative interpretations possible I simply asked my question to seek clarification. And Vixen gave that clarification.

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #1922
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
How many? Where have you got this from? That's approx. 3 for every country on the planet.
From this post upthread:

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
CNN posted a lovely infographic of something the British government barely mentioned thus far.

UK relied on EU for external trade and cooperation treaties for decades. Once out of EU the treaties will no longer apply. UK needs to figure out which ones it needs and which ones it can do away with and renegotiate them. There are over 600 treaties with 150 states in total, I guesstimate UK needs about 100-150 of them.

Given that the country was forced to import negotiators from New Zealand for Brexit, I foresee a series of miserable failures on this front.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/new...exit-treaties/

McHrozni

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM   #1923
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Problem I can see is that Finland for one, has a seven-year nationality rule, which includes being able to speak the language, a hurdle many Brits in Finland find impossible to clear.
Tsk tsk. Finland has three official languages (including Finnish Sign Language). The other official spoken language should not be a big problem for Brits.

(this apart from what Aber said about residence rights vs. citizenship)

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM   #1924
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, Pixel, but if it is OK for you to add words and commas within quote marks, it can also be read as 'all Leave voters, who want Eastern Europeans out, are xenophobic'. Given the alternative interpretations possible I simply asked my question to seek clarification. And Vixen gave that clarification.
Why would that be okay?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM   #1925
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
According to the following FT article

https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-...0fd2e?mhq5j=e1

the UK will have to negotiate at least 759 treaties just to reach the point where it's now while it's in the EU
That's resolving 2 treaties every working day until the current deadline - I did not include possible national holidays in my rough calculation since that might make the task harder and appear unreasonable.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #1926
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
That's resolving 2 treaties every working day until the current deadline - I did not include possible national holidays in my rough calculation since that might make the task harder and appear unreasonable.
While the UK is still in the EU, it's not allowed on its own to negotiate trade treaties. They can only start when the ink on the Brexit deal is dry.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM   #1927
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
While the UK is still in the EU, it's not allowed on its own to negotiate trade treaties. They can only start when the ink on the Brexit deal is dry.
Thanks for clarification - I did not know that.

Even more difficult for the UK.

I suppose there will be a lot of "diplomatic" activity going on in the background then.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #1928
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I suppose there will be a lot of "diplomatic" activity going on in the background then.
That would involve having a plan.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #1929
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And people capable of carrying out that plan.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #1930
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That would involve having a plan.
That would be the only one left. Diplomatic talks behind closed Embassy doors.

Negotiating in parallel - risky (if Brexit negotiations go against some behind the door negotiations) but, the only option.

Needs a lot of coordinating but feasible.

Britain is good at that so all may not be as bad as it seems.

I hope so.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #1931
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Negotiating in parallel - risky (if Brexit negotiations go against some behind the door negotiations) but, the only option.

I hope so.
Britain already had to import NZ negotiators for the Brexit itself; all good British negotiators are employed in Brussels. Where are they getting the manpower?

On top of that, the EU might sanction the UK for doing so.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #1932
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

On top of that, the EU might sanction the UK for doing so.
If they find out...

As I said, it is the only risky option.

ETA - The NZ negotiators are for the Brexit negotiations and not for Diplomatic ones. The two are different worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUC8dJ0D6sA

Last edited by Belgian thought; Yesterday at 10:29 AM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #1933
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I hope so.
Yes, but our foreign secretary is Boris Johnson
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #1934
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

True - but the Foreign Office has always set its own agenda.

ETA For light relief - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swKsughT3vM

Last edited by Belgian thought; Yesterday at 10:38 AM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #1935
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think you meant to post this as being more accurate

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #1936
wobs
Graduate Poster

This is why Liam Fox has been jetting around, but with nothing to show for it other than airmiles..
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #1937
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Weekly updates from the Brexit front through HIGNFY!

Which (is)land is Britain trying to split up in the Brexit negotiations?

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #1938
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

I think you meant to post this as being more accurate

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
No!

I meant this, as before, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUC8dJ0D6sA

ETA - you are equating Bond to Bean

Last edited by Belgian thought; Yesterday at 03:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #1939
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Weekly updates from the Brexit front through HIGNFY!

Which (is)land is Britain trying to split up in the Brexit negotiations?
"The Prince" is not solely island centric
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #1940
ddt
Mafia Penguin

"The Prince" is not solely island centric
No but two of the four examples of successful British rule given in that "Yes Prime Minister" clip you posted were islands - Cyprus and Ireland, the other two being India and Palestine.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #1941
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

No but two of the four examples of successful British rule given in that "Yes Prime Minister" clip you posted were islands - Cyprus and Ireland, the other two being India and Palestine.
I know - my bad. It is as if the UK would not do that to any mainland countries.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics