IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:52 AM   #441
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Arrests were made. Well it's about bloody time these left-wing criminals are carted off to jail. If they can't act civilized, then put them in prison and throw away the keys.
Gee, that sounds like something that would sound right in place in Germany or Italy or Russia in the 1930's.....

I am now convinced you are not even a sincere conservative. You are somebody who has drunk the Trump Kool Aid,probably because you find him "Anti Establishment and Edgy "and your only political belief is Donald J. Trump. If Trump were to do a 180, and start spouting liberal dogma,you would swing right along with him.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd February 2017 at 10:55 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:53 AM   #442
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It was reported that some of them were arrested and they were not students of the university. True, we can't know about all of them, but that's why I put my caveat. The university statement claimed they were outsiders.

Here's that article again:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us...ulos-berkeley/
The only arrests mentioned in the article are those of attackers who attacked two Berkeley College Republicans. It is those attackers the story says are not affiliated with the University. How many attackers? We don't know. It could be as few as two, which would leave a sizeable number of possible university-affiliated attackers to produce the $100,000 in property damage to the University and a much larger amount of monetary damage throughout the city. Again, we don't know the affiliation of other attackers or Black Blocs. Yet, based on that article, you concluded the $100,000 in damage to the University was caused by people not affiliated with the University. Moreover, you concluded that at least most of the agitators came from the outside and started riots. You do this by equating the victim status of the University with the victim status of the College Republicans and therefore conclude that both sets of attackers and rabble-rousers must be the same group of people. That is quite a bit of strained logic.

The fact is, we have absolutely no idea if the monetary damage was caused by university-affiliated knuckleheads or not. Yet you concluded otherwise. Puppycow, I went to the doctor and told him it hurts when I lift my arm. He said, "Don't do that."
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:54 AM   #443
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Argumemnon asked your for a source for this a couple of pages ago. I second his request.
Here he is telling an audience why he postponed his planned speech about pizzagate.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I imagine the purpose of this speech was to explain that pizzagate was fake news. Right?

It's rather stunning that a lying conspiracy theorist such as Milo is held in such high esteem. Welcome to Trump alt-reality folks.

(Dangit, I was trumped by Resume)

Last edited by varwoche; 3rd February 2017 at 10:56 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:55 AM   #444
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Any evidence? In theory this is a forum for skeptics, so I'd like more than a link to a facebook post of some person I don't know.
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
This is one of the most fantastically weak citations I've ever seen on this forum, and that's no small feat.
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Well maybe it will change your mind when I tell you that the original person who tweeted this said that it comes from "reliable sources" (multiple) and when challenged said that there was no way these sources could ever be named.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You had me at "fantastical"
Everyone can look at the comments under the linked facebook post, where sources are provided as well as sources establishing a prior pattern where Milo outs students during his speeches.

The real question is though, why should anyone consider liberals allies? Leftists such as anarchists will take action to stop Milo outing undocumented students, successfully since his speech was cancelled because of it. Liberals on the other hand are the ones who stand there whining about Milo's freedom to out students being suppressed by those evil anarchists in black bloc outfit.

"I may not agree with outing undocumented people, but I'll defend your right to do so."
"I may not agree with genocide, but I'll defend your right to organize it".
"I may not agree with telling the SS officer where the local Jews are hiding, but I'll defend your right to tell him."
... aka why everyone hates liberals.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:56 AM   #445
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

There's some interesting video from the incident. Especially informative was this segment where an NYU "professor" was upset at police for not protecting "anti-fascist" members from College Republicans debating them.

I just right-clicked and went to "Copy video URL at current time" and it seemed to work. The copied URL seemed to append something more like t=270 instead of start=270. YMMV.

Yeah, although I wanted it to work between YT tags.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

At least using "?t=" doesn't barf, but it also doesn't start it at the right place.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:57 AM   #446
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Milo and the Rioters are both world class jerks,and deserve each other.

I don't get why so many people here who despise Trump here...and put me at the head of the line as a Trump Despiser...don't get that the crap like what happened in Berkeley HELPS Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:03 AM   #447
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Everyone can look at the comments under the linked facebook post, where sources are provided as well as sources establishing a prior pattern where Milo outs students during his speeches.

The real question is though, why should anyone consider liberals allies? Leftists such as anarchists will take action to stop Milo outing undocumented students, successfully since his speech was cancelled because of it. Liberals on the other hand are the ones who stand there whining about Milo's freedom to out students being suppressed by those evil anarchists in black bloc outfit.

"I may not agree with outing undocumented people, but I'll defend your right to do so."
You got that on your iPhone from your Anarchist pal's facebook who took a screen shot of a Twiiter?

Lolz, sounds totally legit my man.

"I may not agree with fake news, but I will defend Anarchist's right to make it up because Fascist."

Get yer labels here!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:03 AM   #448
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

I don't get why so many people here who despise Trump here...and put me at the head of the line as a Trump Despiser...don't get that the crap like what happened in Berkeley HELPS Trump.
Why does Milo deserve the rioters? Milo has never been violent. As far as I know, he's never hurt anybody except perhaps for witty bitty feelings. Furthermore, Milo stands ready to debate anybody anytime about his views and the claims he has made. He allows antagonistic questions at his talks and responds in good faith (albeit with some snark).
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:04 AM   #449
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Don't suppose you'd care to support that claim with evidence?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:05 AM   #450
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Sounds more like a joke. Why would Milo get a call from DC telling him "not yet"?

Quote:
That's an odd way to characterise his Twitter account closure.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:07 AM   #451
logger
Banned

Gee, that sounds like something that would sound right in place in Germany or Italy or Russia in the 1930's.....

I am now convinced you are not even a sincere conservative. You are somebody who has drunk the Trump Kool Aid,probably because you find him "Anti Establishment and Edgy "and your only political belief is Donald J. Trump. If Trump were to do a 180, and start spouting liberal dogma,you would swing right along with him.
Lol so ridiculous:

You do understand the rule of law?
Slings comes up with a statement of reality and he just couldn't possibly believe that people breaking the law should go to jail, oh my!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:07 AM   #452
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Don't suppose you'd care to support that claim with evidence?
What are you even talking about? You hilited a sentence fragment, not a claim.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:08 AM   #453
The Big Dog

There's some interesting video from the incident. Especially informative was this segment where an NYU "professor" was upset at police for not protecting "anti-fascist" members from College Republicans debating them.

I just right-clicked and went to "Copy video URL at current time" and it seemed to work. The copied URL seemed to append something more like t=270 instead of start=270. YMMV.
I AM A PROFESSOR!

Thanks for the chuckle.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:09 AM   #454
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Sounds more like a joke. Why would Milo get a call from DC telling him "not yet"?
I think it's a wink and a nod. Very Coulter-like.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:11 AM   #455
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Why does Milo deserve the rioters? Milo has never been violent. As far as I know, he's never hurt anybody except perhaps for witty bitty feelings. Furthermore, Milo stands ready to debate anybody anytime about his views and the claims he has made. He allows antagonistic questions at his talks and responds in good faith (albeit with some snark).
Once again you're showing how the left is anti-speech, and the left here dutifully ignores it.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:12 AM   #456
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I see not so much as one solitary source other than comments from random, anonymous bozos. This is the sort of data source that Trump is infamous for. "People say..."

If I'm overlooking something, by all means be more specific.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:14 AM   #457
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Once again you're showing how the left is anti-speech, and the left here dutifully ignores it.
I'll address it right now: I'm not anti-speech. I often disagree with Milo but I agree with him on a few points. Regardless, he's definitely a troll, but that doesn't mean that what he has to say isn't worth listening to, and I disagree with those who try to use intimidation and violence to silence him. Good or bad, let him talk and challenge what he says with more free speech. Fight ignorance with knowledge.

As usual, extremists love to silence their opposition, whether they be on the left or the right, and I oppose both.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:15 AM   #458
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you assume that's what he actually was told? Maybe he just told to STFU because it was making his puppeteers look bad.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:16 AM   #459
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Sure looks like he wanted to believe it.
Actually, it looks like you want to believe that he believed it.

Here he is telling an audience why he postponed his planned speech about pizzagate.
Using your own tortured logic, it appears that you also believe in pizzagate. After all, you've been talking about it.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:20 AM   #460
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Using your own tortured logic, it appears that you also believe in pizzagate. After all, you've been talking about it.
Yeah, discussing the metadata on a skeptics forum is exactly the same as having a planned speech dedicated to the topic.

Tortured logic?!? Indeed.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:21 AM   #461
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Actually, it looks like you want to believe that he believed it.
No, I don't care enough about this person to have a belief in his beliefs. Actually, he seems like a younger, gayer version of Ann Coulter, and as such, a rabble-rouser. He references things like pizzagate to be provocative and pimp to a certain audience. It's not as if this is something new.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:24 AM   #462
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

No, I don't care enough about this person to have a belief in his beliefs. Actually, he seems like a younger, gayer version of Ann Coulter, and as such, a rabble-rouser. He references things like pizzagate to be provocative and pimp to a certain audience. It's not as if this is something new.
Retraction accepted.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:25 AM   #463
caveman1917
Philosopher

I see not so much as one solitary source other than comments from random, anonymous bozos. This is the sort of data source that Trump is infamous for. "People say..."

If I'm overlooking something, by all means be more specific.
For example this.

Look at the replies to this comment:

"omfg.

how did he find this out?"
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:25 AM   #464
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Retraction accepted.
Drinking early?

WS
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:27 AM   #465
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I'll address it right now: I'm not anti-speech. I often disagree with Milo but I agree with him on a few points. Regardless, he's definitely a troll, but that doesn't mean that what he has to say isn't worth listening to, and I disagree with those who try to use intimidation and violence to silence him. Good or bad, let him talk and challenge what he says with more free speech. Fight ignorance with knowledge.
Good for you.

I don't think logger was claiming that every single individual on the left is against free speech. He merely said that the left has a problem with free speech these days - a comment that is difficult to dispute.

Quote:
As usual, extremists love to silence their opposition, whether they be on the left or the right, and I oppose both.
As do I. I just don't think there is any kind of symmetry between the left and right in the US these days regarding free speech.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:34 AM   #466
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

THIS.
Bitter fact is that militants on both left and right want to silence their critics.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:35 AM   #467
caveman1917
Philosopher

How many undocumented people getting deported or forced to stop their education is letting Milo organize these events worth to you? 1? 10? 100?

Quote:
Ever considered that you might rather be an extremist?

Suppose Nazi Germany took over a town, and people hid Jews from them somewhere. Someone wants to make a public speech stating where the Jews are hiding. Leftists act to stop this speech from happening. Who is the extremist? To me the liberal or moderate saying "Good or bad, let him talk and challenge what he says with more free speech" is an extremist.

Last edited by caveman1917; 3rd February 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:36 AM   #468
MicahJava
Illuminator

Source?
Just look up "milo yiannopoulos pizzagate". He did a big presentation about why Pizzagate proves the left are all secret pedophiles.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:36 AM   #469
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post

God, you are hopeless if you cannot see why we consider Milo a total jerk.
If Julius Streicher were around and made liberals mad, you would probably defend him. Not just his right to speak, but him personally.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:39 AM   #470
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Just look up "milo yiannopoulos pizzagate". He did a big presentation about why Pizzagate proves the left are all secret pedophiles.
Source?
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:47 AM   #471
MicahJava
Illuminator

Source?
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:47 AM   #472
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

When the NYPD starting arresting the agitators Thursday night outside NYU, one woman screamed at the police that they should be protecting the protestors from the Nazi inside the building -- Gavin McInnes, by the way, is a libertarian and a comedian who says things which aren't politically correct.

Watch the video of this insane woman in an hysterical frenzy: Here

(Warning: the woman has a foul mouth and claims to be a professor)

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 3rd February 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:53 AM   #473
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

God, you are hopeless if you cannot see why we consider Milo a total jerk.
I know why you consider Milo a total jerk. It's because he says things you disagree with but can't refute. He is a persuasive and effective advocate for policies that you don't like. No doubt I am considered a total jerk by many here for the same reason. But I don't see why he deserves having his speech shut down and having his physical safety threatened. Do you think I do? Are you prepared to dox me and come to my house to give me what I deserve?

Quote:
If Julius Streicher were around and made liberals mad, you would probably defend him. Not just his right to speak, but him personally.
You resort to these kinds of Nazi-themed insults quite frequently. I don't really take offense, but it probably doesn't help make your argument more persuasive.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:53 AM   #474
rdwight
Graduate Poster

How many undocumented people getting deported or forced to stop their education is letting Milo organize these events worth to you? 1? 10? 100?
Any amount I guess. Not sure we should start figuring out a value base before free speech is allowed. If it is legal, let him speak it. If not, have him prosecuted for the speech that breaks any given law. If individuals feel they were wronged in some way that is libel, let them sue.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:58 AM   #475
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Free speech vs. allowing people currently breaking the law to continue breaking the law? The first is a fundamental pillar upon which our modern democracy is built. The latter are criminals.

Do you have trouble identifying which one of these is more important?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:01 PM   #476
logger
Banned

I wonder if another center left or leftist will agree with you?
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:02 PM   #477
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Any amount I guess. Not sure we should start figuring out a value base before free speech is allowed. If it is legal, let him speak it. If not, have him prosecuted for the speech that breaks any given law. If individuals feel they were wronged in some way that is libel, let them sue.
Who cares whether something is "legal"? That's something that the state concerns itself with, yet nobody here has posited that the state should shut down Milo's events, so it's not even relevant anyway.
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:03 PM   #478
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Free speech vs. allowing people currently breaking the law to continue breaking the law? The first is a fundamental pillar upon which our modern democracy is built. The latter are criminals.

Do you have trouble identifying which one of these is more important?
No of course I have no such trouble. The answer is to shut down Milo's speaking events.
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:05 PM   #479
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
???

That's it? That shows that Milo believes pizzagate and that pizzagate proves the left are all secret pedophiles?

Keep looking.
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:07 PM   #480
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I wonder if another center left or leftist will agree with you?
I'm an independent and I said way upthread that it was too bad the event was cancelled. No matter that I think he's a ****.

WS

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics