ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd July 2019, 05:29 PM   #401
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Kim and Trump will celebrate the day they invented the moon.

Which one of them will be the first to play a full round of golf and have a score less than 18?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:33 PM   #402
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why on earth do we need displays of military might on a holiday celebrating our Independence? I can understand an aerial display of red, white, and blue fog by jets, but tanks? Reeks to me of Russian May Day displays.
That's the entire point - his besties Putin & KJU both have big, fancy, military parades, so Trump will have the best and biggest parade.

It will be huge - a much bigger crowd than Obama's inauguration, for certain.
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:35 PM   #403
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thanks to “Phantom Fireworks” and “Fireworks by Grucci" for their generosity in donating the biggest fireworks show Washington D.C. has ever seen. CEO's Bruce Zoldan and Phil Grucci are helping to make this the greatest 4th of July celebration in our Nations history!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:36 PM   #404
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Christopher Waller, Ph. D., Executive VP and Director of Research, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Missouri, to be on the board of the Federal Reserve....

....Prior to his current position, Christopher served as a professor and Chair of Economics at Notre Dame.

I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Judy Shelton, Ph. D., U.S. Executive Dir, European Bank of Reconstruction & Development to be on the board of the Federal Reserve....

....Judy is a Founding Member of the board of directors of Empower America and has served on the board of directors of Hilton Hotels.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:00 PM   #405
Paul2
Philosopher

Why on earth do we need displays of military might on a holiday celebrating our Independence? I can understand an aerial display of red, white, and blue fog by jets, but tanks? Reeks to me of Russian May Day displays.
Because the fetish over the military is part of a culture that amalgamates violence, machismo, capitalism, dogma - don’t make me go on.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:01 PM   #406
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Christopher Waller, Ph. D., Executive VP and Director of Research, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Missouri, to be on the board of the Federal Reserve....

....Prior to his current position, Christopher served as a professor and Chair of Economics at Notre Dame.

I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Judy Shelton, Ph. D., U.S. Executive Dir, European Bank of Reconstruction & Development to be on the board of the Federal Reserve....

....Judy is a Founding Member of the board of directors of Empower America and has served on the board of directors of Hilton Hotels.
I'll take, "Two announcements Trump didn't type" for $2000

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:10 PM   #407
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Tweets

Big 4th of July in D.C. “Salute to America.” The Pentagon & our great Military Leaders are thrilled to be doing this & showing to the American people, among other things, the strongest and most advanced Military anywhere in the World. Incredible Flyovers & biggest ever Fireworks!
Shiny New Sherman Tanks! Very advanced.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:14 PM   #408
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
That's the entire point - his besties Putin & KJU both have big, fancy, military parades, so Trump will have the best and biggest parade.

It will be huge - a much bigger crowd than Obama's inauguration, for certain.
And this coming from Cadet Bonespurs who had Daddy get him out of the army.

Why doesn't Trump just go into a bathroom with Putin and Kim and they can compare the sizes of their genitals and get it over with?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 2nd July 2019 at 06:21 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:15 PM   #409
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

Thanks to “Phantom Fireworks” and “Fireworks by Grucci" for their generosity in donating the biggest fireworks show Washington D.C. has ever seen. CEO's Bruce Zoldan and Phil Grucci are helping to make this the greatest 4th of July celebration in our Nations history!

The fireworks might be donated, but the National Park Service is having to divert $2.5 million from funds that were intended for upgrade.s to parks to pay for Trump's campaign event (yes, it is a campaign event, with the ticketed locations going to Republican officials and donors).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9c34a8ccdade

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:30 PM   #410
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Beverly Hill Hillbillies / Season 5 Episode 6
Jethro gets a letter from the President to enlist in the Army. Jed doesn't want the Government to pay for Jethro's training so he wants to pay all the expenses. Mr Drysdale isn't happy when Jed wants to withdraw $100,000 to buy Jethro a tank. He's even less happy when Jethro wants Mr Drysdale to be his tank crew dressed as a German Officer.
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/1930-t...language=en-US

It's a clever advertising plan by Trump to get Republicans to buy old M4 Sherman tanks off the government, that Trump remembered from television.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jethro.jpg (27.2 KB, 10 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:51 PM   #411
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Why doesn't Trump just go into a bathroom with Putin and Kim and they can compare the sizes of their genitals and get it over with?
Kim, sure, but I can see any way Trump would want to be undressing near Vlad.

Whatever else anyone thinks about Putin, the bloke has serious cojones. You don't get to the top in Russia by being a TV star. I bet he knows where plenty of bodies are buried.
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:05 PM   #412
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever else anyone thinks about Putin, the bloke has serious cojones. You don't get to the top in Russia by being a TV star. I bet he knows where plenty of bodies are buried.
Similar thought here.

Putin has the biggest dick.

Trump is the biggest dick.
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:13 PM   #413
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'll take, "Two announcements Trump didn't type" for $2000
Ding ding ding!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:59 PM   #414
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

the answer should be obvious.
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:00 PM   #415
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
the answer should be obvious.
Only Putin can see his own.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:28 PM   #416
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Oh, man. Another image I can't unsee.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:30 PM   #417
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:33 PM   #418
AnonyMoose
Muse

Keeping Trump's tiny penis fed is a fulltime job, it seems.

You guys might as well enjoy the phallus-y spectacle on the 4th, you're paying for it afterall.
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:47 PM   #419
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
The fireworks might be donated, but the National Park Service is having to divert $2.5 million from funds that were intended for upgrade.s to parks to pay for Trump's campaign event (yes, it is a campaign event, with the ticketed locations going to Republican officials and donors).
The one year I was on the Mall in D.C. on July 4 there were news stories about how much it costs the National Parks Service to clean up after the event. It was well into 6 figures. Supposedly the Beach Boys were playing, but I never caught a snippet of a tune. The Metro was free that day and the cars were a mess. Also, the weather didn't help. There were a lot of people, though, which allows Trump to claim that a large crowd showed up to support him.

I can't really envision an even greater number than I experienced, which was wall-to-wall people milling about. Trump probably figured out that his campaign could suggest that the anticipated crowd all turned up for Trump and so decided to piggy-back on the hordes that show up just because it's something to do. Trump is smart that way.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:11 PM   #420
Stacyhs
Philosopher

>snip<
You know that. I know that. Anyone with a brain knows that. But does narcissism personified Trump know that?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:11 AM   #421
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Knows where they are buried seems an understatement.
He seems like the “kill them, choose the gravesite, dig the grave, carve the gravestone” kind of guy.
Old 3rd July 2019, 01:50 AM   #422
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A very sad time for America when the Supreme Court of the United States won’t allow a question of “Is this person a Citizen of the United States?” to be asked on the #2020 Census! Going on for a long time. I have asked the Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice....

....to do whatever is necessary to bring this most vital of questions, and this very important case, to a successful conclusion. USA! USA! USA!
Old 3rd July 2019, 04:53 AM   #423
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The opposing view.
Quote:
"Make no mistake: this is a major victory for democracy and a defeat for the xenophobic Trump administration," said Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate. "The census is supposed to count everyone, including immigrants. When we stand together and fight back, we can defeat Trump's bigotry." Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:27 AM   #424
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The one year I was on the Mall in D.C. on July 4 there were news stories about how much it costs the National Parks Service to clean up after the event. It was well into 6 figures. Supposedly the Beach Boys were playing, but I never caught a snippet of a tune.

Supposedly, the NPS had been spending about $2 million/year on 4th of July festivities.

The Beach Boys have played a few times on 7/4 at the Capitol (along with the National Symphony Orchestra).

Quote:
The Metro was free that day and the cars were a mess. Also, the weather didn't help. There were a lot of people, though, which allows Trump to claim that a large crowd showed up to support him.

I've only gone to the Washington Monument area on the 4th once, and I walked from near RN Airport (which will have to shut down for a total of 2.5 hours on the evening of the 4th to accomodate Trump's campaign speech).

Quote:
I can't really envision an even greater number than I experienced, which was wall-to-wall people milling about. Trump probably figured out that his campaign could suggest that the anticipated crowd all turned up for Trump and so decided to piggy-back on the hordes that show up just because it's something to do. Trump is smart that way.

Exactly (though they moved where the fireworks will be launched from supposedly to create more space for people).

Old 3rd July 2019, 05:40 AM   #425
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

Well, that's what Washington used to cross the Potomac!
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:49 AM   #426
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, that's what Washington used to cross the Potomac!
Thus winning the War of 1812 against Pancho Villa.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:57 AM   #427
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think Trump has a problem with undressing around Vlady. Every time the two meet, they go off alone so Putin can have his way with Trump. Trump smiles when it's over so I presume he likes it.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:01 AM   #428
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The opposing view.
Actually the constitution clearly did not want only citizens counted, that was the whole point of the 3/5th compromise. Are people really that ignorant of the constitution?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:09 AM   #429
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A very sad time for America when the Supreme Court of the United States won’t allow a question of “Is this person a Citizen of the United States?” to be asked on the #2020 Census! Going on for a long time. I have asked the Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice....

....to do whatever is necessary to bring this most vital of questions, and this very important case, to a successful conclusion. USA! USA! USA!
Clearly, no one has explained to him the role of the Supreme Court.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:18 AM   #430
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I don't think Trump has a problem with undressing around Vlady. Every time the two meet, they go off alone so Putin can have his way with Trump. Trump smiles when it's over so I presume he likes it.
Hurrrr, hurrrr, gay is bad, Trump is bad, so Trump does gay stuff, hurrr hurrrr hurrrrr.

It's old. It's not imaginative, it's been done to death, and it's insulting. Not least to Putin, who is in pretty good shape for his age. He could do so much better than Trump.
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:18 AM   #431
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Our July 4th Salute to America at the Lincoln Memorial is looking to be really big. It will be the show of a lifetime!

We have the greatest economy anywhere in the world. We have the greatest military anywhere in the world. Not bad!
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:18 AM   #432
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Hurrrr, hurrrr, gay is bad, Trump is bad, so Trump does gay stuff, hurrr hurrrr hurrrrr.

It's old. It's not imaginative, it's been done to death, and it's insulting.
Seconded.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:26 AM   #433
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's old. It's not imaginative, it's been done to death, and it's insulting. Not least to Putin, who is in pretty good shape for his age. He could do so much better than Trump.
I never said gay was bad. I'm happy for the couple. They should tell their wives though.
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:42 AM   #434
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This might be a double-edged sword for Donnie. The economy is doing
well and many Americans give him credit, at least partially. At the same
time, many Americans continue to believe the economy works best for the
very wealthy and those in power. That working class and middle income
Americans are not looked after. Many of the independent voters who selected
Trump in 2016 did so because they believed, "He wants to help people like me."
Some still believe that but many no longer do. In order to be reelected he needs
those voters. Constantly bragging about the economy, when many working
people are still having a rough time of it, may be rubbing salt in the wound.

Damn, if it were true, I'd be happy.
But he already knows he cannot count on their vote.
Hence the take over of the GOP and the billion dollar campaign fund. 1, 2

With four times the money he had to spend in 2016, plus an extra 250 million
in outside group spending he has the ability to rally the base and get back in.

P. S. I probably need a bigger screen. I bet todays monitors are four times the size.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Thewire.com reports that 50 people will attempt to lie down in front of the tanks
at Trumpfest.

Trump counters by hiring actress Jane Fonda to dance on the tanks.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:06 AM   #435
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Yes, the insinuation that Trump and Putin are having an affair does have slight homophobic undertones. But a couple of things should be kept in mind:

- Trump and his followers are incredibly bigoted, so insinuating that "their guy" is engaging in the type of activity they oppose is the point. (In a way, its like the neo-nazi who believed in the 'one drop' theory of racial purity finding out that he actually had some genetic heritage from Africa.) Its not the 'Trump is being gay' that is the main part, it is the 'Trump is engaging in activities that he and his followers condemn'.

- The type of 'relationship' that they are accused of is not strictly a 'homosexual' one (with both individuals on relatively equal footing), but one of master/slave. Trump is obviously subservient to Putin. The same sort of criticism would fit if it were Ivanka Trump who was elected thanks to the support of Putin, in which case suggesting she were also submitting to Putin would also fit

Quote:
It's old. It's not imaginative...
You're right... its not very imaginative. But, not every joke/criticism has to be uber-witty to be funny or effective. After all, Trump got elected even though the greatest height of his imagination seems to be coming up with childish nick names for his opponents.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:18 AM   #436
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, the insinuation that Trump and Putin are having an affair does have slight homophobic undertones. But a couple of things should be kept in mind:

- Trump and his followers are incredibly bigoted, so insinuating that "their guy" is engaging in the type of activity they oppose is the point. (In a way, its like the neo-nazi who believed in the 'one drop' theory of racial purity finding out that he actually had some genetic heritage from Africa.) Its not the 'Trump is being gay' that is the main part, it is the 'Trump is engaging in activities that he and his followers condemn'.

- The type of 'relationship' that they are accused of is not strictly a 'homosexual' one (with both individuals on relatively equal footing), but one of master/slave. Trump is obviously subservient to Putin. The same sort of criticism would fit if it were Ivanka Trump who was elected thanks to the support of Putin, in which case suggesting she were also submitting to Putin would also fit

You're right... its not very imaginative. But, not every joke/criticism has to be uber-witty to be funny or effective. After all, Trump got elected even though the greatest height of his imagination seems to be coming up with childish nick names for his opponents.
Would Trump's misogyny justify mocking him by calling him a woman then making jokes about how he's irrational because he's on his period? Do you think women would be offended by that?
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:22 AM   #437
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

The intent was to be evocative a john/prostitute encounter vice a purely consensual relationship.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:35 AM   #438
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The intent was to be evocative a john/prostitute encounter vice a purely consensual relationship.
Which doesn't really fit with the "smiles" and "presume he enjoys it" bit. It seems clear your intent was to insult Trump for enjoying gay sex. If you want to call him a fag then do so, you don't need to scramble for excuses.

Plenty of cultures over history have derided the bottom in male homosexual activity. The Norse used it as a literal killing insult: if someone called you that you had to kill them or else it would be recognized as true and you'd be killed yourself. While simultaneously there was no insult implied at all to the top in the encounter. The crime wasn't in the homosexuality, it was in a male being the receptive partner because that was womanlike. A great deal of homophobia is actually just misapplied misogyny. It's an interesting subject, a sociocultural phenomenon rooted just as much in psychology as in history. It would be naive to think homophobia and its cultural manifestations, conscious and unconscious, would fade away overnight due to recent liberalization.

Nevertheless there are some manifestations that are pretty obvious, especially when they've been pointed out. Use or eschew them as you will, but don't expect to evade criticism.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:38 AM   #439
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The cost of our great Salute to America tomorrow will be very little compared to what it is worth. We own the planes, we have the pilots, the airport is right next door (Andrews), all we need is the fuel. We own the tanks and all. Fireworks are donated by two of the greats. Nice!
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:40 AM   #440
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

China and Europe playing big currency manipulation game and pumping money into their system in order to compete with USA. We should MATCH, or continue being the dummies who sit back and politely watch as other countries continue to play their games - as they have for many years!

The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on the Census is incorrect or, to state it differently, FAKE! We are absolutely moving forward, as we must, because of the importance of the answer to this question.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics