ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism incidents , arson incidents , terrorism incidents , UK incidents

Old 6th July 2019, 01:15 PM   #1
dann
Philosopher

Racist Arsonist Sets Fire to a Synagogue & Barbecues Himself

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Far-right arsonist sets himself on fire as he attempts to burn down synagogue (CNN, July 6, 2019)

Terrorist folk singer who set fire to synagogue locked up in hospital indefinitely (ITV, July 5, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 05:45 PM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Far-right arsonist sets himself on fire as he attempts to burn down synagogue (CNN, July 6, 2019)

Terrorist folk singer who set fire to synagogue locked up in hospital indefinitely (ITV, July 5, 2019)
The Stupid.... it burns!

Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to pour a gallon of petrol onto the thing you want to torch, wait almost 40 seconds before you light it, AND THEN STAND RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT UNTIL IT IGNITES.

This idiot has clearly been watching the wrong YouTube videos... he should have watched this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4lPzxSm5A

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th July 2019 at 06:08 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I AGREE

more proof that white skin does not convey some sort of automagic superiority. white supremisists are lazy thinkers, selfish and ignorant as are any other racist supremisist groups.

Last edited by Hungry81; 6th July 2019 at 05:58 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

No worries, Trump will pardon him.
Old 6th July 2019, 07:15 PM   #5
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I suspect a Presidential pardon doesn't have quite that much reach.
Old 6th July 2019, 07:31 PM   #6
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The new trade deal will fix that.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 11:07 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Safety tips for anyone who uses hydrocarbons to light a fire.
1. Do not use gas (USA) or petrol (rest of world).
2. Have one person handle the fuel and another to light it.
3. Keep a good distance between the fire and yourself.
Old 6th July 2019, 11:55 PM   #8
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

4. Keep a good distance between yourself and the person who lights the fire.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 07:38 AM   #9
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Which would be pretty meaningless.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 01:45 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Only regret is this bigoted moron only qualifies for a Honorable Mention in the Darwin Awards, not for the award itself.
But he is in the running for the Stupid Criminal Of The Year award, which does not require your act to be fatal.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:17 AM   #11
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Hardihar he so dumb!

That said, chalk up yet another white supremacist terrorist act. When will it become a problem deemed worthy of doing something about?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:24 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Hardihar he so dumb!

That said, chalk up yet another white supremacist terrorist act. When will it become a problem deemed worthy of doing something about?
It's not a white supremacist terrorist act, it's someone with severe mental health issues who should have been spotted and treated.

Now had he been darker complected then of course it would have been a terrorist attack deserving the most vigorous countermeasures

Last edited by The Don; 10th July 2019 at 07:26 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 08:47 AM   #13
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
6. If you are using gasoline/petrol, do not, under any circumstances, pour the fuel onto an already lit fire. The fire will flash back into the fuel container and set it on fire.

I have, on two occasions, had to resort to using Coleman fuel (pretty much identical to gasoline in its behavior when used as a fire starter), in order to start a fire in rain with wet wood. What I did was pour the fuel onto the kindling, close the container and move it well away from where the fire was intended to be, then stand back and toss a lit candle into the fuel. On both occasions, it took two attempts to get the wood lit. I waited for the gasoline fire to die all the way down before applying more fuel and relighting. I don't reccommend this. In both cases, I was on a backpacking trip and really needed a fire to keep warm and dry out wet clothing and shoes, and was unable to to get a fire started with my usual lighter, candle and twigs method. Stove fuel was my only remaining option to get a fire lit, and I took appropriate precautions to minimize the hazard.

Given that this was an anti-semitic wacko committing arson, I'm kind of disappointed that he didn't manage to kill or severely burn himself.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 06:15 PM   #14
mgidm86
Philosopher

Hardihar he so dumb!

When the problem becomes as big as you think it must be? Or at least as big as lightning strike deaths maybe... (US stats sorry, but this IS where all the nazis are, right? Maybe other countries are drastically different!)

https://www.adl.org/news/press-relea...oubled-in-2017

Quote:
White supremacists were directly responsible for 18 of the total 34 extremist-related murders in 2017, according to the new ADL report, Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2017. A total of nine deaths were linked to Islamic extremists.
Huh.

https://www.theroot.com/who-broke-a-...spo-1831987223

Quote:
The Anti-Defamation League released its annual report, “Murder and Extremism in the United States 2018,” on Wednesday, which tracked murders perpetrated by all types of domestic extremists over the past year. According to their research, right-wing extremists killed more Americans in 2018 than they have in any year since 1995. The 50 extremist-related murders also made last year the fourth-deadliest year since 1970.

Lightning fatalities per year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_strike

Quote:
According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities, placing it in the second position, just behind floods for deadly weather.

I can think of groups that murder with far more regularity.

But golly, it sure SEEMS that white supremacists are killing everyone!!!

Last edited by mgidm86; 17th July 2019 at 06:18 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:57 AM   #15
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
When the problem becomes as big as you think it must be? Or at least as big as lightning strike deaths maybe... (US stats sorry, but this IS where all the nazis are, right? Maybe other countries are drastically different!)

https://www.adl.org/news/press-relea...oubled-in-2017

Huh.

https://www.theroot.com/who-broke-a-...spo-1831987223

Lightning fatalities per year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_strike

I can think of groups that murder with far more regularity.

But golly, it sure SEEMS that white supremacists are killing everyone!!!
Why, thank God we don't have to worry about Islamist extremism at all then, considering that they murder even fewer Americans than your fellow travellers.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #16
EHocking
Philosopher

Why, thank God we don't have to worry about Islamist extremism at all then, considering that they murder even fewer Americans than your fellow travellers.
Clearly their epithet, The Great Satan, is more accurate than Merkins wish to admit.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #17
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I suspect a Presidential pardon doesn't have quite that much reach.
True though with this level of stupidity you'd expect to see him at a Trump rally.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics