IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:47 PM   #441
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Your logic can be flawless, but if you start from a faulty premise, you will draw faulty conclusions.

If one's logic is flawless then one can use that flawless logic to recognize the faulty premises to avoid using them.

But... in the context of acbytesla's post that you replied to ... can you please tell us what is the faulty premise you have identified please??
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:06 PM   #442
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
If one's logic is flawless then one can use that flawless logic to recognize the faulty premises to avoid using them.

But... in the context of acbytesla's post that you replied to ... can you please tell us what is the faulty premise you have identified please??
Premise #1: God exists.
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:02 PM   #443
Leumas
Philosopher

Premise #1: God exists.

So you think that "God exists" is a faulty premise??? How do you know that??? Can you prove that???
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:19 PM   #444
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
True. But a sound logical argument requires premises that are true.
no.

the point of a logic argument can be that premises believed to be true must be false.

the calculation that the Sun can't be made of coal (an assumption in pre-nuclear science), or it would have burned out already, would be such a case.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:48 PM   #445
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So you think that "God exists" is a faulty premise??? How do you know that??? Can you prove that???
You really do have to argue with everybody, don't you?
Old 4th July 2022, 12:15 AM   #446
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
There are plenty of passages in the bible that directly contradict the ones you cherry picked

Okey Dokey ... here are some that irrefragably prove that your deadbeat sky daddies are evil... can you please give me the verses that "directly contradict" them...

Start with these....
  • Deuteronomy 25:11-12 When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets; then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall have no pity.
  • Leviticus 25:44-46 Both thy male slaves and thy female slaves, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy male slaves and female slaves. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your slaves for ever
  • 1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling
  • Deuteronomy 13:1-15 ....If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods... thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die.... If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities... saying, Let us go and serve other gods... Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein... with the edge of the sword
  • Leviticus 26:14-32 If ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;.....I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.....And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.
  • Psalms 68:23-24 YHWH said: ....that thy foot may wade through blood, that the tongue of thy dogs may have its portion from thine enemies.
  • Hosea 13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.
  • Matthew 10:34-35 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
  • John 3:18 ... he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
  • Matthew 15:21-28 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.... it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

Here are some more... enjoy!!!
  • Deuteronomy 25:11-12 When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets; then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall have no pity.
  • Leviticus 25:44-46 Both thy male slaves and thy female slaves, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy male slaves and female slaves. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your slaves for ever
  • Exodus 21:20-21 And if a man smite his male slave, or his female slave, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
  • Numbers 31:1-18 And YHWH spake unto Moses, saying, ... kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
  • Numbers 31:25-35 And YHWH spake unto Moses, saying, take the sum of the prey that was taken, both of man and of beast... and divide .... the booty, .... was ... sheep,... beeves, ... asses, and thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him...... And YHWH's tribute of the sheep was six hundred and threescore and fifteen. .... And the persons were sixteen thousand; of which YHWH's tribute was thirty and two persons.
  • 1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling
  • Deuteronomy 20:16-18 But of the cities of these people, which YHWH thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as YHWH thy God hath commanded thee...
  • Deuteronomy 13:1-15 ....If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods... thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die.... If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities... saying, Let us go and serve other gods... Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein... with the edge of the sword
  • Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of YHWH; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of YHWH
  • Leviticus 26:14-32 If ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;.....I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.....And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.
  • Exodus 30:11-16 When thou takest the sum of the children of Israel after their number, then shall they give every man a ransom for his soul unto YHWH, when thou numberest them; that there be no plague among them, when thou numberest them. This they shall give, every one that passeth among them that are numbered, half a shekel after the shekel of the sanctuary.... Every one that passeth among them that are numbered, from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering unto YHWH. The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when they give an offering unto YHWH, to make an atonement for your souls..... to make an atonement for your souls.
  • Leviticus 14:1-7 And YHWH spake unto Moses, saying, This shall be the LAW OF THE LEPER in the day of his cleansing: He shall be brought unto the priest: And the priest shall go forth out of the camp; and the priest shall look, and, behold, if the plague of leprosy be healed in the leper; Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop: And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water: As for the living bird, he shall take it, and the cedar wood, and the scarlet, and the hyssop, and shall dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water: And he shall sprinkle upon him that is to be cleansed from the leprosy seven times, and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the living bird loose into the open field.
  • Deuteronomy 22:20-21 ... the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel......stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house.
  • Psalms 60:10 Moab is my washpot [i.e. toilet]; upon Edom do I cast my shoe; Philistia, cry aloud because of me!
  • Psalms 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the rock
  • Psalms 2:8-9 Ask of Me, and I will give the nations... for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
  • Psalms 68:23-24 YHWH said: ....that thy foot may wade through blood, that the tongue of thy dogs may have its portion from thine enemies.
  • Exodus 34:12-14 ...ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves. For thou shalt worship no other god: for YHWH, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
  • Jeremiah 19:4-15... because they have forsaken Me, and have estranged this place, and have offered in it unto other gods... and have built the high places of Baal... the days come, saith YHWH... I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem ... their carcasses will I give to be food for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth... I will make this city an astonishment, and a hissing... because of all the plagues ... and I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend... Thus saith YHWH of hosts... will I break this people and this city, as one breaketh a potter's vessel, that cannot be made whole again... Thus saith YHWH of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will bring upon this city and upon all her towns all the evil that I have pronounced against it; because they have made their neck stiff, that they might not hear My words
  • Ezekiel 20:23-26 ... Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good.... and I polluted them in their own gifts.... that I might destroy them, to the end that they might know that I am YHWH.
  • Hosea 9:16 Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.
  • Hosea 13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.
  • 2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie
  • 1 Corinthians 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise;
  • Matthew 4:19 And He said to them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.
  • Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters , yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
  • Luke 19:27 And these enemies of mine who were unwilling for me to rule over them, bring them here and slay them in front of me
  • Matthew 10:34-35 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
  • Mark 4:11-13 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without , all these things are done in parables: that seeing they may see, and not perceive ; and hearing they may hear, and not understand ; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
  • John 3:36 ... he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
  • John 3:18 ... he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
  • Mark 16:16 ... he that believeth not shall be damned.
  • Luke 13:6-9 6 And he told this parable: A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’ And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down
  • Matthew 15:21-28 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.... it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
  • Acts 5:1-11 ..You have not lied just to human beings but to God. When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died... Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.” At that moment she fell down at his feet and died... Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events..

Last edited by Leumas; 4th July 2022 at 12:19 AM.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:23 AM   #447
Leumas
Philosopher

You really do have to argue with everybody, don't you?
When they are so clearly wrong ... yes!!!
Old 4th July 2022, 12:31 AM   #448
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

When they are so clearly wrong ... yes!!!
Are you saying that "God exists" is a true premise?
Old 4th July 2022, 12:41 AM   #449
Leumas
Philosopher

Are you saying that "God exists" is a true premise?

No I am saying that your premise that "God exists" is a faulty premise is in itself a faulty premise.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:54 AM   #450
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No I am saying that your premise that "God exists" is a faulty premise is in itself a faulty premise.
Which would imply that it is instead a true premise. But whatever. My point is that if you start by assuming that a false premise is actually true, your logic can be rock solid and you will still come to conclusions that are false. Your logic isn't at fault, just the premise on which you build it.
Old 4th July 2022, 01:39 AM   #451
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Nope... that is exactly what apologists for your deadbeat sky daddy do... they are the ones who cherry pick the bible for stuff to support their BLIND FAITH.
Proof that denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Old 4th July 2022, 05:45 AM   #452
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
no.

the point of a logic argument can be that premises believed to be true must be false.

the calculation that the Sun can't be made of coal (an assumption in pre-nuclear science), or it would have burned out already, would be such a case.
You're talking about validity. You can have a valid argument with false premises. But soundness requires premises to be true.
Old 4th July 2022, 07:15 AM   #453
Leumas
Philosopher

Which would imply that it is instead a true premise. But whatever. My point is that if you start by assuming that a false premise is actually true, your logic can be rock solid and you will still come to conclusions that are false. Your logic isn't at fault, just the premise on which you build it.
No it does not.... do you know what unfalsifiable is??
Old 4th July 2022, 07:37 AM   #454
Leumas
Philosopher

Proof that denial is not just a river in Egypt.

The river in Egypt is called the Nile... "denial" is an English word which signifies what apologists of your ilk do when faced with the cognition of reality which is dissonant with their Blind Faith about their deadbeat sky daddies.
Old 4th July 2022, 09:58 AM   #455
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I swear I donít understand what most of you are arguing about.

Logic cannot prove the existence of a God. But logic can point out the flaws in people's argument for the existence of a God. In fact, most of the arguments I've heard for it's existence are logically flawed. They are almost all loaded with circular reasoning, tautological nonsense, and fallacy after fallacy.

Otherwise they say it's faith which is more honest, but is just as ridiculous.
Old 4th July 2022, 11:38 AM   #456
Leumas
Philosopher

I swear I donít understand what most of you are arguing about.

Logic cannot prove the existence of a God. But logic can point out the flaws in people's argument for the existence of a God. In fact, most of the arguments I've heard for it's existence are logically flawed. They are almost all loaded with circular reasoning, tautological nonsense, and fallacy after fallacy.

Otherwise they say it's faith which is more honest, but is just as ridiculous.
Old 4th July 2022, 02:31 PM   #457
Leumas
Philosopher

There are plenty of passages in the bible that directly contradict the ones you cherry picked .

It took me all of an hour to collate the list of verses from the bible that prove beyond doubt that your deadbeat sky daddy is vile evil turpitude.

And I asked you to live up to your above statement that you can find verses that "directly contradict" my verses.

It has been over 12 hours and so far nary a whimper...

I will wait... but I know I will be long putrefied before you ever come up with anything that is valid.

In the meantime here are a few more verses you can add to the list that irrefutably prove the extent of your deadbeat sky daddy's depravity... 2 Samuel 21:1-14 and Joshua 7:1-26.... if it will make it easier for you, you can start with these before any of the others... you do not even have to show any verses that contradict them... just do your usual apologetics and see if you can come up with an excuse for why he is not a vile deceiving monster as amply demonstrated in those verses.
Old 4th July 2022, 03:28 PM   #458
Thor 2
Philosopher

In the Bible it never says that YHWH made Adam perfect... he made him callow and out of DIRT... and his only purpose was to be a GARDENER for YHWH's orchard.

He made Adam in his own image and He is supposed to be perfect.

I suppose He made Eve to look like his female side.
Old 4th July 2022, 04:20 PM   #459
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It took me all of an hour to collate the list of verses from the bible that prove beyond doubt that your deadbeat sky daddy is vile evil turpitude.

And I asked you to live up to your above statement that you can find verses that "directly contradict" my verses.

It has been over 12 hours and so far nary a whimper...

I will wait... but I know I will be long putrefied before you ever come up with anything that is valid.

In the meantime here are a few more verses you can add to the list that irrefutably prove the extent of your deadbeat sky daddy's depravity... 2 Samuel 21:1-14 and Joshua 7:1-26.... if it will make it easier for you, you can start with these before any of the others... you do not even have to show any verses that contradict them... just do your usual apologetics and see if you can come up with an excuse for why he is not a vile deceiving monster as amply demonstrated in those verses.
It took you an hour? It took me a couple of minutes.

Here's a pretty good list.

https://infidels.org/library/modern/...rgan-atrocity/
Old 4th July 2022, 04:32 PM   #460
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

Nope... the bible never said that... the REAL GOD of Genesis 1 created humans ... man AND woman together at the same time with his word and in his image and told them to go forth be fruitful and multiply and have dominance over the Earth... entire Earth... read this post.

The LESSER god YHWH ... of Genesis 2... molded mud-man alone no woman ... out of mud... not in his image ... and he was told to be the GARDENER of the garden YHWH made for himself on Earth in which to stroll in the cool of the afternoon.

YHWH then decided to mold out of mud some cows and sheep for "help meet" for the poor solitary lonely mud-man... and when that did not "amuse" him YHWH decided to wrench his baculum and BUILD Eve.

So no... YHWH did not make man perfect nor in his image... he made a callow gardener out the dirt he was supposed to till... and YHWH never intended for Adam to "know" Eve ... when they did he fired them and threw them out of the garden.

I suggest you read Genesis 1 to 3 carefully... and notice one thing... God = Elohim ... The Lord God = YHWH elohim.... Genesis 1 never mentions the name YHWH which does not come onto the stage until Genesis 2:4.

Note: Noah was descended from Seth the third son of Mud-Man and Eve... and since all the creation of Elohim got annihilated by YHWH and only Noah and his family were saved... this implies that the humans whom Elohim created perfect and in his image are long ago gone... and earth is now populated by MOLDED and BUILT out of mud descendants of mud-man who was neither perfect nor in the image of any god let alone God.

Note: All this of course is in the fairy tale universe of the Bible... nothing to do with reality of course.

Last edited by Leumas; 4th July 2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 4th July 2022, 05:11 PM   #461
Leumas
Philosopher

It took you an hour? It took me a couple of minutes.

Here's a pretty good list.

https://infidels.org/library/modern/...rgan-atrocity/

A very good list... thanks... I will look at it carefully soon... but... I noticed it does not have 2 Samuel 21... also some of mine are not there ... but it has some stuff I do not have.

Also... I use the Masoretic text for the Tanakh (OT) stuff to ensure fairness to the exact meaning and in context and to make sure it says YHWH not something else.

Thanks ... I will make sure to update my list...

ETA: by the way... there are scads more that I did not bother to do because there might be some verses in opposition if construed and wrung apologetically... I wanted a list that cannot have contradictory verses... as far as I can wring and contort... but some apologists might teach me something new one day.

Last edited by Leumas; 4th July 2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 4th July 2022, 05:14 PM   #462
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Nope... the bible never said that... the REAL GOD of Genesis 1 created humans ... man AND woman together at the same time with his word and in his image and told them to go forth be fruitful and multiply and have dominance over the Earth... entire Earth... read this post.

The LESSER god YHWH ... of Genesis 2... molded mud-man alone no woman ... out of mud... not in his image ... and he was told to be the GARDENER of the garden YHWH made for himself on Earth in which to stroll in the cool of the afternoon.

YHWH then decided to mold out of mud some cows and sheep for "help meet" for the poor solitary lonely mud-man... and when that did not "amuse" him YHWH decided to wrench his baculum and BUILD Eve.

So no... YHWH did not make man perfect nor in his image... he made a callow gardener out the dirt he was supposed to till... and YHWH never intended for Adam to "know" Eve ... when they did he fired them and threw them out of the garden.

Argumentum ad baculum.
Old 4th July 2022, 05:22 PM   #463
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Argumentum ad baculum.
Advocatus Diaboli, methinks.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 05:35 PM   #464
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

A very good list... thanks... I will look at it carefully soon... but... I noticed it does not have 2 Samuel 21... also some of mine are not there ... but it has some stuff I do not have.

Also... I use the Masoretic text for the Tanakh (OT) stuff to ensure fairness to the exact meaning and in context and to make sure it says YHWH not something else.

Thanks ... I will make sure to update my list...

ETA: by the way... there are scads more that I did not bother to do because there might be some verses in opposition if construed and wrung apologetically... I wanted a list that cannot have contradictory verses... as far as I can wring and contort... but some apologists might teach me something new one day.
Here's another good list.

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

Also, Dan Barker a former fundamentalist preacher wrote a pretty good book titled GOD: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction. He lists what he considers the 10 worst Old Testament passages.

https://ffrf.org/about/getting-acqua...stament-verses
Old 4th July 2022, 05:42 PM   #465
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster.

Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does he do?
I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time.

Look but don't touch.
Touch, but don't taste.
Taste, don't swallow.

Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, ******' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!
Old 4th July 2022, 06:36 PM   #466
Leumas
Philosopher

Here's another good list.

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

Also, Dan Barker a former fundamentalist preacher wrote a pretty good book titled GOD: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction. He lists what he considers the 10 worst Old Testament passages.

https://ffrf.org/about/getting-acqua...stament-verses

Thanks!!!

Top ten list of Dan Barker is ok... but could have chosen worse things... I have not read that book yet... I am probably going to wait for the Audible version.
Old 4th July 2022, 06:38 PM   #467
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post

Defense Lawyer: Your honor... why does the prosecution keep bringing up my client's crimes but not those of the devil... he must be a fan of the devil.

Last edited by Leumas; 4th July 2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 4th July 2022, 06:45 PM   #468
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Argumentum ad baculum.
Good one!!!

ETA:But in this case it is a factual argument not a fallacious one... though it might be an argument from fellatio.

Last edited by Leumas; 4th July 2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 4th July 2022, 06:57 PM   #469
Leumas
Philosopher

Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster.

Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does he do?
I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time.

Look but don't touch.
Touch, but don't taste.
Taste, don't swallow.

Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, ******' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!
A lascivious voyeur... he makes Ananias and Sapphira drop dead on the spot for lying about not giving all THEIR money to the communist cult of Jesus... but he watches and keeps watching all over the world for millennia his caste of licentious perverts ravaging children and does not lift a finger to make them drop dead like he did Ananias and Sapphira.
Old 4th July 2022, 06:57 PM   #470
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks!!!

Top ten list of Dan Barker is ok... but could have chosen worse things... I have not read that book yet... I am probably going to wait for the Audible version.
I'm a big fan of Dan Barker.
Old 4th July 2022, 07:21 PM   #471
Leumas
Philosopher

I'm a big fan of Dan Barker.
Yes ... me too... I like his FFRF podcasts...I liked his book the Christian Delusion.
Old 4th July 2022, 09:21 PM   #472
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

But an image is not the real thing. God could not realistically make another God, being, as he said himself, jealous. I th8nk we have to give old Jehova the point here. Adam could never be perfect. There's plenty else to blame him for, including making Adam in the first place, since he has to have known what was coming. Really the god of the Bible is just a super-sized kid and the world is his train set.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 09:40 PM   #473
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
But an image is not the real thing. God could not realistically make another God, being, as he said himself, jealous. I th8nk we have to give old Jehova the point here. Adam could never be perfect. There's plenty else to blame him for, including making Adam in the first place, since he has to have known what was coming. Really the god of the Bible is just a super-sized kid and the world is his train set.

Old 4th July 2022, 11:58 PM   #474
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GDon View Post
... "For its purpose." Leads to a greater good.
... Leads to a greater good.
... Leads to a greater good:
... Leads to a greater good:
... which results in a greater good.
... lead to a greater good

With apologies to John Maynard Keynes
Capitalism YHWH is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

Last edited by Leumas; 5th July 2022 at 12:02 AM.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:49 AM   #475
GDon
Graduate Poster

With apologies to John Maynard Keynes
Capitalism YHWH is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.
Nothing more dangerous than a man who is convinced he speaks for God so he acts against others for their own good with God's blessings. The Buddhists have a saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!"

CS Lewis famously wrote:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

Last edited by GDon; 5th July 2022 at 12:57 AM.
GDon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 01:01 PM   #476
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GDon View Post
Nothing more dangerous than a man who is convinced he speaks for God so he acts against others for their own good with God's blessings. The Buddhists have a saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!"

CS Lewis famously wrote:

ďOf all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.Ē

Nice.... excellent quotes!!!
Old 5th July 2022, 02:05 PM   #477
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Nice.... excellent quotes!!!
Indeed, there is a similar one from Albert Jay Nock, which I can't find now, but I don't know which came first, so C.S. will do just fine.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 12:55 AM   #478
Leumas
Philosopher

There are plenty of passages in the bible that directly contradict the ones you cherry picked but they don't count - because "REASON" they do not exist.
IFTFY

Evidently they do not count because they do not exist... as evinced by the fact that you cannot produce any of them.

You still have a chance to respond to this or to this if you want to prove me wrong.

Last edited by Leumas; 6th July 2022 at 12:58 AM.
Old 6th July 2022, 01:20 AM   #479
sphenisc
Philosopher

IFTFY

Evidently they do not count because they do not exist... as evinced by the fact that you cannot produce any of them.

You still have a chance to respond to this or to this if you want to prove me wrong.
For the first link, most of them are contradicted by Galatians 3:28

The Psalms 68, Matt 10, Matt 15 group form a contradictory cycle.

Last edited by sphenisc; 6th July 2022 at 01:24 AM.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 01:46 AM   #480
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
For the first link, most of them are contradicted by Galatians 3:28

Seriously.... have you read Galatians 3:28 ... let alone any of the verses in the first link???

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
And how does that have anything to do with "directly contradicting" the litany of atrocities that YHWH and Jesus did and commanded and advised???

Have you read Matthew 19:12... how is this sordid grotesques turpitude by Jesus "directly contradicted" by any verses in Matthew 10, 15 or Psalms 68... or Galatians 3:28???

If anything ... Psalms 68 and Matthew 15,10 demonstrate further the EVIL that is YHWH and Jesus.... thanks for those!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy