IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th July 2022, 02:38 AM   #841
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Why do people keep saying this ****** Show me where she let anyone, let alone everyone think this?

All she said is that her family assumed this.

But never mind. Take every opportunity to blame the real victim.

Uhh...I think we call that lying via omission, don't we?

She allowed everyone to believe this, to the point that her boyfriend even signed the birth certificate as the father, correct? She carried on the ruse to the extent that a paternity test was required to confirm the father...even though she claimed to know Barnes was.

Yes the real victim is being blamed, it would seem...Barnes. True justice would likely see her behind bars and him with full custody.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:38 AM   #842
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,473
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Why do people keep saying this ****** Show me where she let anyone, let alone everyone think this?

All she said is that her family assumed this.

But never mind. Take every opportunity to blame the real victim.
She must truly have been powerless if there was nothing she could have done to have corrected their false assumption. Are you imagining her as a deaf mute, or a bit slow? Also, she says she let everybody believe it in the original article.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:42 AM   #843
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Uhh...I think we call that lying via omission, don't we?

She allowed everyone to believe this, to the point that her boyfriend even signed the birth certificate as the father, correct? She carried on the ruse to the extent that a paternity test was required to confirm the father...even though she claimed to know Barnes was.

Yes the real victim is being blamed, it would seem...Barnes. True justice would likely see her behind bars and him with full custody.
Uh-ha, what law did she break exactly by letting people assume something?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:43 AM   #844
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
She must truly have been powerless if there was nothing she could have done to have corrected their false assumption. Are you imagining her as a deaf mute, or a bit slow? Also, she says she let everybody believe it in the original article.
Yes, an expected response. Blaming the victim of rape in this thread has become endemic.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:46 AM   #845
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,473
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes, an expected response. Blaming the victim of rape in this thread has become endemic.
Go complain to her. People are just quoting what she said. We aren't her PR team.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:48 AM   #846
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Uh-ha, what law did she break exactly by letting people assume something?

She has engaged in a pattern of deceit that would likely include false claims of forcible rape, among others. Not only that, but she clearly misled Barnes and others about her age, to the extent of even utilizing a false ID. If there were any true justice, she would be held accountable for such treachery.

Instead Barnes is likely to take a rape conviction. Justice and law do not always go hand in hand.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:18 AM   #847
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Go complain to her. People are just quoting what she said. We aren't her PR team.
Show me the quote. You will find reports, but not direct quotes.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:28 AM   #848
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
She has engaged in a pattern of deceit that would likely include false claims of forcible rape, among others. Not only that, but she clearly misled Barnes and others about her age, to the extent of even utilizing a false ID. If there were any true justice, she would be held accountable for such treachery.

Instead Barnes is likely to take a rape conviction. Justice and law do not always go hand in hand.
Edited by sarge:  edited to remove uncivil content
You have no evidence of any of this. How do you know she wasn’t forcibly raped? And there’s a law about treachery? Please detail?

You don’t have any evidence at all for your contentions, but still take the time-honoured Christian position of blaming the “filthy, young ho” for enticing the honourable, faithful (hopefully Christian) 30+ year old man to rape a teenager.

Edited by sarge:  edited to remove uncivil content
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by sarge; 9th July 2022 at 10:16 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:33 AM   #849
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,473
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Show me the quote. You will find reports, but not direct quotes.
From the original article:
Quote:
"Everyone assumed it [the pregnancy] was from a boyfriend, and I let them believe that," Abelseth recalled.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:36 AM   #850
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
******** from start to finish. You have no evidence of any of this. How do you know she wasn’t forcibly raped? And there’s a law about treachery? Please detail?

You don’t have any evidence at all for your contentions, but still take the time-honoured Christian position of blaming the “filthy, young ho” for enticing the honourable, faithful (hopefully Christian) 30+ year old man to rape a teenager.

Jezz your Christianity is a wonder to behold.

Religious belief plays no role in my position on this. I'm not a Christian.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:37 AM   #851
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Religious belief plays no role in my position on this. I'm not a Christian.
I do not believe either part of this post. But if you call yourself a theist not a Christian, it doesn’t change the thrust of my post.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 6th July 2022 at 04:42 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:40 AM   #852
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
From the original article:
Okay I recalled a paraphrase not a direct quote.

Mind you, I don’t see what great difference this makes. There is nothing that says she led the family to believe that
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:48 AM   #853
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I do not believe either part of this post. But if you call yourself a theist not a Christian, it doesn’t change the thrust of my post.

I am not a theist, either. I don't think this debate hinges upon such things, anyway. I haven't seen mention of it.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:49 AM   #854
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,473
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Okay I recalled a paraphrase not a direct quote.

Mind you, I don’t see what great difference this makes. There is nothing that says she led the family to believe that
The boyfriends name on the birth certificate may have led them to make a wild leap and assume it. Anyway, you said saying that she let people think this was victim blaming. Should we ignore the quote to avoid victim blaming? Should we victim blame? Are you victim blaming?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:53 AM   #855
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The boyfriends name on the birth certificate may have led them to make a wild leap and assume it. Anyway, you said saying that she let people think this was victim blaming. Should we ignore the quote to avoid victim blaming? Should we victim blame? Are you victim blaming?
Only a very odd review of the whole case would see the boyfriend as the victim above the raped teenager.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 04:54 AM   #856
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I am not a theist, either. I don't think this debate hinges upon such things, anyway. I haven't seen mention of it.
I don’t believe you.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 07:42 AM   #857
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 9,367
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
He isn't the victim because he's in jail, he's the victim because the girl let everybody think he was the father. Seems like maybe she knew he wasn't the father, but didn't want to admit to being raped (at the time), so just let the boyfriend be the one. And did that have anything to do with his being in incarcerated? Being named as the father could have affected his life negatively, we just don't know. (Yes, this is mostly speculation, but without actual info, that's all we have.)

Maybe she thought he was the father until the DNA test proved otherwise.

Also, it seems like maybe when speculation is all you have, it might be prudent to avoid assigning victimhood to someone we know almost nothing about.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 08:02 AM   #858
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,473
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Only a very odd review of the whole case would see the boyfriend as the victim above the raped teenager.
I wasn't talking about the boyfriend. In any case, putting people into columns of victim and victimiser doesn't interest me. Like Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive. I don't care.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 08:12 AM   #859
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I wasn't talking about the boyfriend. In any case, putting people into columns of victim and victimiser doesn't interest me. Like Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive. I don't care.
Have you read your previous posts in this thread? For somebody who (now) is not interesting in victimising the woman who was raped, you have certainly hidden it well. Your quite sad depiction of the motives of the raped teenager in this thread is telling.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 08:18 AM   #860
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,473
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Have you read your previous posts in this thread? For somebody who (now) is not interesting in victimising the woman who was raped, you have certainly hidden it well. Your quite sad depiction of the motives of the raped teenager in this thread is telling.
There are no perfect victims. She doesn't have to be a saint to be a victim. Him being guilty of a criminal offence in the past doesn't mean she can't be victimizing him now. Bad things happen to all sorts of good people, while deluded white knights come bravely charging to the aid of terrible people. It doesn't matter. We aren't these people's friends. It's a mildly interesting police procedural, that's all.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:46 PM   #861
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,157
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Why do people keep saying this ****** Show me where she let anyone, let alone everyone think this?

All she said is that her family assumed this.
Are you not aware that the birth mother provides details for the birth certificate, like who the father is?

Sounds like a pretty good basis for the assumption that the boyfriend was the father..

She didn't change this part of the story for several years.

How do you think the conversation with the prison authorities went when she took the child to visit the ' father '?

Do you think they might have assumed he was the father ?
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 03:08 PM   #862
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
All we have is the mother saying she let her family assume this.

And are you aware she didn’t change any of this until the rapist insisted on a paternity test? You know the same guy who is accused of now sexually assaulting his underage daughter?

No I don’t have evidence of the latter, but lack of evidence has not stopped some posters making reprehensible comments about the mother and painting the rapist as the victim.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 03:53 PM   #863
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,157
Quote:
All we have is the mother saying she let her family assume this.
No it's not..
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 03:58 PM   #864
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,559
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
No it's not..
Huh? Yes it is. She didn't breathe a word about parentage till 2011, when she out of the blue sued for DNA tests from two possible fathers?
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 05:06 PM   #865
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
she out of the blue sued for DNA tests from two possible fathers?
Are you sure of this? My recollection was the rapist initiated the paternity test when he realised he could be the father, as conception was around the time of his rape.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 05:19 PM   #866
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,559
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are you sure of this? My recollection was the rapist initiated the paternity test when he realised he could be the father, as conception was around the time of his rape.
That was the early reporting, yes. As the story unfolded and docs came out, it was Abelseth who actually sued for DNA samples for paternity testing, before any legal moves were made by Barnes regarding fatherhood or custody. I'll try to dig up the link when back on laptop.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 05:24 PM   #867
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That was the early reporting, yes. As the story unfolded and docs came out, it was Abelseth who actually sued for DNA samples for paternity testing, before any legal moves were made by Barnes regarding fatherhood or custody. I'll try to dig up the link when back on laptop.
Fair enough.

Still interesting that there is no news of a rape charge against Barnes when the complaint was made 7 years ago. Yes I know Hicksville PD “misfiled” the complaint, but why further delays?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 07:50 PM   #868
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,510
Looks to me like we have a calendar, so statutory rape, un-prosecuted. And absolutely no evidence to back up any of Absoleth's stories.

I'll check back in a couple hundred more posts to see if anything turns up.
__________________
Any sufficiently advanced idea is indistinguishable from idiocy to those who don't actually understanding the concept.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 08:56 PM   #869
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,559
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are you sure of this? My recollection was the rapist initiated the paternity test when he realised he could be the father, as conception was around the time of his rape.
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That was the early reporting, yes. As the story unfolded and docs came out, it was Abelseth who actually sued for DNA samples for paternity testing, before any legal moves were made by Barnes regarding fatherhood or custody. I'll try to dig up the link when back on laptop.
Found it. The updated reporting came from the judge opening up the records:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana...child-says-lie
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 08:57 PM   #870
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Looks to me like we have a calendar, so statutory rape, un-prosecuted. And absolutely no evidence to back up any of Absoleth's stories.

I'll check back in a couple hundred more posts to see if anything turns up.
What are her “stories”? She did not make up the one about rape and that is by far the most significant. And one that the rapist hasn’t faced a court over.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 08:59 PM   #871
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What are her “stories”? She did not make up the one about rape and that is by far the most significant. And one that the rapist hasn’t faced a court over.

Certainly she may have made up the story about forcible rape. Deceit is clearly her comfort zone, if not outright manipulation.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 09:03 PM   #872
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Found it. The updated reporting came from the judge opening up the records:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana...child-says-lie
Okay. Not that this makes any major difference to the inaction of the PD in question and ridiculous decisions of Judge Cache.

Barnes needs to face court soon.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 09:05 PM   #873
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Certainly she may have made up the story about forcible rape. Deceit is clearly her comfort zone, if not outright manipulation.
Let’s see what the court decides about the forcible aspect. The word of women is accepted far more now than ever in the past.

But there is no doubt about rape.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 09:18 PM   #874
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,559
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Okay. Not that this makes any major difference to the inaction of the PD in question and ridiculous decisions of Judge Cache.

Barnes needs to face court soon.
Oh, agreed. For the life of me I can't figure out how Barnes could be awarded any custody at all. But Abelseth suing for paternity testing out of the blue makes me think there are further details still missing that might put this sordid tale in some kind of sane light.

The police, after allowing the rapist to gain custody of the teenage girl admit they "forgot" to investigate the rape claim and punted it upwards. And still no one is looking at the statutory rape? How long could this possibly take?
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 09:27 PM   #875
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Oh, agreed. For the life of me I can't figure out how Barnes could be awarded any custody at all. But Abelseth suing for paternity testing out of the blue makes me think there are further details still missing that might put this sordid tale in some kind of sane light.

The police, after allowing the rapist to gain custody of the teenage girl admit they "forgot" to investigate the rape claim and punted it upwards. And still no one is looking at the statutory rape? How long could this possibly take?
This doesn’t surprise me at all. As others in this thread (mainly if not all women afaik) have pointed how traumatic and difficult it is to deal with rape. I know from recent experience that recalling past experiences in an effort to find solutions can produce almost unbearable anxiety.

Yes, the mother may have undisclosed backstories, but see no reason to doubt her story until real evidence arises. And not simple declarations (not from you) that she wasn’t really raped add nothing.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 6th July 2022 at 09:29 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 11:34 PM   #876
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That was the early reporting, yes. As the story unfolded and docs came out, it was Abelseth who actually sued for DNA samples for paternity testing, before any legal moves were made by Barnes regarding fatherhood or custody. I'll try to dig up the link when back on laptop.

Yeah. Another example of her lies, it would seem. In the initial article it makes it clear that she is basically saying he pursued the whole matter and that she had no idea of how he found out about possibly having a daughter. That claim stunk to high heaven from day one.

I'm telling you, she has psycho hose beast written all over her. What a lying sack of **** she seems to be. The Police of course cannot just come out and say they blew off her report because she is known as a totally poisonous nutjob whore. Not saying she is, of course.

But as I say, nobody cares much about justice here. They just want to see Barnes burn. Pathetic.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 11:51 PM   #877
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Home.
Posts: 10,018
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
All we have is the mother saying she let her family assume this.

And are you aware she didn’t change any of this until the rapist insisted on a paternity test? You know the same guy who is accused of now sexually assaulting his underage daughter?

No I don’t have evidence of the latter, but lack of evidence has not stopped some posters making reprehensible comments about the mother and painting the rapist as the victim.
Hasn't the highlighted charge been thrown out by the courts?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 12:06 AM   #878
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,589
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Yeah. Another example of her lies, it would seem. In the initial article it makes it clear that she is basically saying he pursued the whole matter and that she had no idea of how he found out about possibly having a daughter. That claim stunk to high heaven from day one.

I'm telling you, she has psycho hose beast written all over her. What a lying sack of **** she seems to be. The Police of course cannot just come out and say they blew off her report because she is known as a totally poisonous nutjob whore. Not saying she is, of course.

But as I say, nobody cares much about justice here. They just want to see Barnes burn. Pathetic.
This now excuses rape in the US? Do tell.

What is pathetic is your posts throughout this thread. They are either misogynistic or victim blaming or both.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 12:27 AM   #879
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This now excuses rape in the US? Do tell.

What is pathetic is your posts throughout this thread. They are either misogynistic or victim blaming or both.

Take a moment to consider how many times your arguments have been proven wrong in this thread. Every time this happens you say something to the effect of, "yeah, but it doesn't matter anyway". More often than not it is because your arguments have ignored clear and openly reported facts that do not fit the preferred narrative of a damsel in distress.

It is pretty clear this woman is a damn liar. This isn't conjecture, this is fact. And her lying is central to the fact that this guy Barnes had sex with her. Now she is still spinning stories it seems, and he is the ultimate victim of all of this.

Last edited by Warp12; 7th July 2022 at 12:32 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 12:36 AM   #880
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,076
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Let’s see what the court decides about the forcible aspect. The word of women is accepted far more now than ever in the past.

But there is no doubt about rape.
Because he has been found guilty in a court of law? Look, I get that the not-a-lawyer bunch here has researched the law on statutory rape to the point of looking it up and reading it. You do understand that is essentially like reading the Commerce Clause in the Constitution and assuming you know what it really means. In this case you have found that the law plainly states ignorance of the girls' age doesn't matter. That is indeed the law, but what have judges ruled over the years in Louisiana?

It strikes me as pretty damn obvious that when you encounter someone drinking in a bar where the drinking age is 21 and the age of consent is 18 that you may make a reasonable assumption that the person you have encountered is above the age of consent. Yes, underage kids get served all the time in bars, but surely that is the fault of the bar, not another patron, and let's remember that she was five years too young for the bar, but only two years too young to be legal.

I'm going to guess there is a fair amount of case law on this in Louisiana and that it is going to turn out to be favorable to the father in terms of the statutory charge. This is not a case of somebody picking up a girl in the park and assuming she was old enough. As for all the "ick" stuff about a 30-year-old picking up a gal he assumed was 21, I mean seriously? My attitude is that once you're old enough, everyone else who is old enough and competent is fair game. Surprising to find me on the more libertine side of a moral issue than a lot of you folks.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.

Last edited by Brainster; 7th July 2022 at 12:50 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.