IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin , cryptocurrency

Old 14th June 2019, 03:23 PM   #81
p0lka
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Why did you post that link?

The only relevent thing there was
Quote:
consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with liquid (such as water)
which shows water is not wet.

Oh, unless you were agreeing with me sorry.
Thx for confirming water is not wet with your link.

Last edited by p0lka; 14th June 2019 at 03:25 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 08:27 PM   #82
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Quote:
consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with liquid (such as water)
which shows water is not wet.
Water does not consist of water?
Old 15th June 2019, 08:45 AM   #83
p0lka
Illuminator

Water does not consist of water?
well **** me, how did I miss that? I even quoted it. What the hell was I drinking

I could argue that it doesn't count though as it's an american dictionary, but I won't.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 12:57 PM   #84
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

well **** me, how did I miss that? I even quoted it. What the hell was I drinking
I'm guessing it wasn't water.

I could argue that it doesn't count though as it's an american dictionary, but I won't.
My main point was that it depends on the dictionary you use. For example, the OXFORD dictionary says, "Covered or saturated with water or another liquid". A nit-picker might try to argue that water is not "saturated" with water but I don't see that argument holding water.

At the end of the day, argument by dictionary is not particularly helpful.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:48 AM   #85
The_Animus
Illuminator

$9220
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 08:07 PM   #86
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
$9220
It's still "meh". Once it breaks the $10,000 barrier and stays there we might have something comment worthy (not that there is any reason to believe that this is imminent).
Old 17th June 2019, 04:43 AM   #87
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Why at 10k and not let's say 9k ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 09:24 AM   #88
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Why at 10k and not let's say 9k ?
Because a jump from $7700 to $9000 is minuscule by bitcoin standards.
Old 18th June 2019, 04:50 AM   #89
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Millennials are buying digital assets rather than stocks and bonds.
They are fools, and we should all remind them of how fools and their money go their separate ways.

Bitcoin has peaked in this rally in my humble opinion.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2019, 05:43 PM   #90
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Bitcoin has peaked in this rally in my humble opinion.
As usual, you have mistimed the peak. Now past the $10K barrier.
Old 22nd June 2019, 01:10 AM   #91
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

As usual, you have mistimed the peak. Now past the $10K barrier.
Yes fooled again.
Maybe not alone
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2019, 01:47 AM   #92
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yes fooled again.
Maybe not alone
A few days ago I said that there wasn't any reason to believe that crossing the $10K barrier was imminent. So my magic 8 ball is no more reliable than yours.
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:08 AM   #93
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

It's all possible thank to me not buying
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 03:34 AM   #94
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

It is possible we are obstinately refusing to make the easiest money in the history of money. As a conscientious objector I will be staunch.
Old 25th June 2019, 10:15 AM   #95
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Yes fooled again.
I believe a pattern is emerging.

It is possible we are obstinately refusing to make the easiest money in the history of money.
Waddaya mean "we", white man?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2019, 03:17 PM   #96
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post

Waddaya mean "we", white man?
A few on the thread confess to being not long bitcoin. Environmentalists and suchlike.
It appears that miners are natural sellers, and many others are HODLs.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:34 AM   #97
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

The technical picture for the most evil monetary enterprise in human history looks particularly bleak.

6000 first stop on the path to oblivion.
Last 11717
Old 29th June 2019, 10:00 AM   #98
The_Animus
Illuminator

The technical picture for the most evil monetary enterprise in human history looks particularly bleak.

Last 11717
Keep predicting penny dreadful, path to oblivion, etc. for long enough and your technical analysis guessing will eventually be right.

Just as a broken clock will eventually be right about the time.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 11:26 AM   #99
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Last 11717
10.000th times the charm?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 04:29 PM   #100
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

With your track record, maybe we should be taking michaelsuede seriously.
Old 30th June 2019, 03:49 PM   #101
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Keep predicting penny dreadful, path to oblivion, etc. for long enough and your technical analysis guessing will eventually be right.

Just as a broken clock will eventually be right about the time.
I hold the view there is infinite supply of crypto currency, and divide any number by infinity to get to zero.
Has there ever been a commodity with infinite supply in history?

No says the 8 year old.

And this distribution pattern we currently see is at a perfect retracement level.

last 11000
Old 30th June 2019, 06:57 PM   #102
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I hold the view there is infinite supply of crypto currency, and divide any number by infinity to get to zero.
No you don't. You already know that 21M is the hard limit.

You just believe that because bitcoin is "evil", any BS will do if it talks the price down.
Old 1st July 2019, 12:48 AM   #103
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

No you don't. You already know that 21M is the hard limit.

You just believe that because bitcoin is "evil", any BS will do if it talks the price down.
There is no limit for numbers of cryptocurrencies, just imagination.
Mine is to be called Samsonite.
Old 1st July 2019, 01:17 AM   #104
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There is no limit for numbers of cryptocurrencies, just imagination.
Do you really think that you can pretend that this crap hasn't been rebutted time and time again?

There is no shortage of metals either but that didn't stop you being bullish on gold.
Old 1st July 2019, 02:56 AM   #105
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Do you really think that you can pretend that this crap hasn't been rebutted time and time again?

There is no shortage of metals either but that didn't stop you being bullish on gold.
That is the interesting proposition, that aggregating piles of compost creates a new truth. It is irrelevant your debunking claims, they always confront the brick wall of infinity.
There is a restricted supply of everything on this planet, excepting creators of crypto currencies.
Old 1st July 2019, 03:22 AM   #106
Belz...
Fiend God

Wow, 11,000 now.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 03:27 AM   #107
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow, 11,000 now.
Is that high or low??

This particular pattern has completed the algorithm I tried to help psion and co on my technical analysis threads.
Old 1st July 2019, 04:14 AM   #108
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That is the interesting proposition, that aggregating piles of compost creates a new truth.
No matter how many piles of compost you create, you are definitely not creating any new truths.
Old 1st July 2019, 04:15 AM   #109
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow Yawn, 11,000 now.
ftfy.

Down from nearly 14,000 last week.
Old 1st July 2019, 04:50 AM   #110
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Indeed, the show is over. For another year ?
Old 1st July 2019, 04:56 AM   #111
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Indeed, the show is over. For another year ?
Why? Have you bought some now?

Last edited by psionl0; 1st July 2019 at 04:59 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 07:00 AM   #112
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

I did here and then. Managed to avoid the biggest drop. Anyway, over that about 300% increase during these last months I made about minus 5%.
Old 1st July 2019, 08:25 AM   #113
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I did here and then. Managed to avoid the biggest drop. Anyway, over that about 300% increase during these last months I made about minus 5%.
You better hold onto them if you don't want the price to jump back up again.
Old 1st July 2019, 08:47 AM   #114
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Nah I think I'm really not suited for daily trading. I see patterns where they are not.
Maybe waiting for another winter ? That time when both prices and activity is low for months .. then buy, wait for next craze. Even if you'd sell after it crashes you would still make tons.
Or maybe it's just another fake pattern ..
Old 1st July 2019, 09:26 AM   #115
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Nah I think I'm really not suited for daily trading. I see patterns where they are not.
You're not the only one. This thread is full of "experts" on bitcoin price movements.

The truth is that nobody knows what will happen next. Even though in the long run, most buyers who held on to what they bought have made a large paper profit, that situation could change any time between now and infinity.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:58 AM   #116
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

This woman Caitlin Long explains that bitcoin is systemically stable but not price stable, the antithesis of fiat currency. Is she making sense?
Probably, strong credentials, but she looks like an insider with vested interests.
I think of bitcoin as a bloke's coin, interesting to see a glamour girl weigh in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/caitlin.../#7a31f03488b8
Old 1st July 2019, 10:47 AM   #117
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Has there ever been a commodity with infinite supply in history?
I suppose the US Dollar will be hitting zero soon, being there's an infinite supply of fiat currency.

I think of bitcoin as a bloke's coin, interesting to see a glamour girl weigh in.
Just when I thought things couldn't get any stupider...
Old 1st July 2019, 08:06 PM   #118
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

"I think bitcoin is easily going to take out its all-time highs," Tom Lee, research chief at Fundstrat Global Advisors, said last week on CNBC, saying the digital currency could potentially run as high as US$40,000 if conditions stay favorable. "We're deep into a bull market."

hahahahahahaha

Last edited by Samson; 1st July 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:25 PM   #119
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Dropped below $10,000 in the past hour.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:50 PM   #120
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Dropped below $10,000 in the past hour.
Let bitcoin never be dull

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance