ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags California incidents , California issues , gun control , gun incidents

Old 10th May 2019, 02:08 AM   #41
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
It's the lack of taste that makes me smile.

Between those and that absurd hand gun I mentioned earlier they do seem to be a "ooh, look at that weird one, me want!" kind of collector, and I can appreciate that in a strange way...
I'd rather a Hello Kitty AK (not really) than any of the obnoxious gold inlaid jingoistic "commemorative" 1911's (eg.) celebrating the latest "patriotic" cause du jour.
YMMV.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:15 AM   #42
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
But if you take it out of the box it loses all its value! Mooooommm!
It's not a lucite encased proof coin that you can't handle... but I'm pretty sure tossing it in a pile on the concrete voids that NIB status.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:05 AM   #43
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Saenz is an architectural and landscape contractor. He seems to be in business partnership with Beck. The ATF says that he has a valid Federal Firearms License. But the anonymous tip caller said that he is doing things outside of what the license allows. No further details on that yet.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/girard-damien-saenz
Another "Swatting"?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:09 AM   #44
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'd rather a Hello Kitty AK (not really) than any of the obnoxious gold inlaid jingoistic "commemorative" 1911's (eg.) celebrating the latest "patriotic" cause du jour.
YMMV.
Try a trip to the local shotgun range- Inlaid gold pheasants flying down the side of a $20,000 Perrazzi. It's no more accurate than my 85 year old $200 Winchester pump.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:14 AM   #45
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Looks to be a Thompson Center Encore, which is chambered in .308 winchester (traditionally a rifle cartridge). Looks like Thompson Center makes both a single shot rifle and pistol version using the same design. Its the same gun, just with our without a shoulder stock.

That thing must kick like a mule when fired. These are bought for pistol hunting or simply for novelty factor.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/inte...rfire-firearms
My Remington XP-100 in 7mm TCU was built for long range pistol silhouette shooting. Steel targets out to 200 yards, easy to score- you have to knock it down. Interesting, the targets are all farm animal shaped- chicken, turkey, pig, and ram. It goes back to Turkey shoots.
Old 10th May 2019, 04:22 AM   #46
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
OK, what's the chartreuse and red abomination right next to it?
Can't really tell, there's too much other junk on top of it. The stock seems to be the traditional type, besides the laminate coloring, rather than a more modern pistol-gripped type seen on AR's. Some sort of bolt or semi auto rifle, but not a AR-15 or similar type of modern rifle.

Laminate stocks are pretty common, especially as aftermarket. The many stacked, thin layers of wood makes for unusual color possibilities, including some real eyesores like these. Some are quite nice. They are usually used for traditional rifles in place of more expensive walnut or hardwood. Modern rifles usually have synthetic stocks (unless the owner really wants to use wood), so seeing this kind of stock is often a good giveaway that it's a more traditional (besides the color) design.

Boyd's is prominent manufacturer of laminate stocks, both aftermarket and OEM. You can see some of their options here: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gallery
Old 10th May 2019, 05:03 AM   #47
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Boyd's is prominent manufacturer of laminate stocks, both aftermarket and OEM. You can see some of their options here: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gallery
Some of those look perfect for hunting in a liquorice allsorts factory....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 06:05 AM   #48
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Can't really tell, there's too much other junk on top of it. The stock seems to be the traditional type, besides the laminate coloring, rather than a more modern pistol-gripped type seen on AR's. Some sort of bolt or semi auto rifle, but not a AR-15 or similar type of modern rifle.

Laminate stocks are pretty common, especially as aftermarket. The many stacked, thin layers of wood makes for unusual color possibilities, including some real eyesores like these. Some are quite nice. They are usually used for traditional rifles in place of more expensive walnut or hardwood. Modern rifles usually have synthetic stocks (unless the owner really wants to use wood), so seeing this kind of stock is often a good giveaway that it's a more traditional (besides the color) design.

The real point of laminate stocks is that they are heavy and very solid, very consistent in motion (warpage),perfect for target shooting. Pretty/Ugly is secondary. Older bro bought one in 1967.
Old 10th May 2019, 06:07 AM   #49
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

$50K bond sounds like loose change. Makes me suspect not much guilt involved.
Old 10th May 2019, 07:25 AM   #50
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Just out of interest, if the suspect is exonerated, where do they stand with compensation for any damage to the "evidence"?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 07:43 AM   #51
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Just out of interest, if the suspect is exonerated, where do they stand with compensation for any damage to the "evidence"?
See my post up thread about a federally licensed curio & relic collector that lost their collection to the L.A.P.D.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 07:48 AM   #52
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Saenz is an architectural and landscape contractor. He seems to be in business partnership with Beck. The ATF says that he has a valid Federal Firearms License. But the anonymous tip caller said that he is doing things outside of what the license allows. No further details on that yet.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/girard-damien-saenz
If he was a Curio & Relic licensee he would be entitled to sell firearms "from time to time" to enhance their collection but would be restricted from operating as a retail firearms dealer.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 07:50 AM   #53
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
...behind bars for several hours overnight after police seized more than 1,000 guns — including some that authorities allege were fully automatic — from a home in Bel-Air.

When investigators with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Los Angeles Police Department arrived at the five-bedroom estate in the 100 block of North Beverly Glen Boulevard about 4 a.m. Wednesday, they were met with an unusual situation: The sprawling Bel-Air mansion, just down the street from a plethora of celebrity homes, was in complete disarray.

Authorities described the property as a hoarder’s paradise, with guns strewn throughout several of the home’s rooms. It took about 30 law enforcement personnel more than 12 hours to remove all the weapons, which included rifles, shotguns, assault weapons and pistols, authorities said.

Girard Saenz, who was in the home at the time, was arrested on suspicion of violating California’s law regarding assault weapons and .50-caliber Browning machine guns. The law prohibits the manufacture, distribution, transportation, importation and sale of any assault rifle or .50-caliber weapon, except in specific circumstances.

The guns, which authorities say Saenz was selling, were laid in stacks atop blankets on the property’s winding driveway for officials to catalog. Eventually, the stockpile was loaded into the back of a large box truck and driven off the property. The weapons will be itemized and booked into evidence, said Lt. Chris Ramirez, an LAPD spokesman...
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...509-story.html
Old 10th May 2019, 07:56 AM   #54
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
See my post up thread about a federally licensed curio & relic collector that lost their collection to the L.A.P.D.
Didn't he lose it all because he was illegally selling out of his trunk to undercovers, and had illegal armor piercing bullets and stuff?
Old 10th May 2019, 08:10 AM   #55
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here is the thread from last year about the big collection in California. "California collector with 550 guns gets busted".

PS: This is not the collector that BStrong and Thermal are talking about right now.
Old 10th May 2019, 08:12 AM   #56
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If he was a Curio & Relic licensee he would be entitled to sell firearms "from time to time" to enhance their collection but would be restricted from operating as a retail firearms dealer.
Well, ...

If he was actually operating within the law, then I expect that he will get his guns back and that he will have good cause to sue for damages.

On the other hand, if he was operating outside of the law, then he is in some serious trouble and he will not be getting those guns back.

Personally, I expect that he is in serious trouble and that he will never get those guns back.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:24 AM   #57
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yeah, I saw that mentioned, but would be interested to know the law as regards what should happen, rather than a case where the LAPD may or may not have complied with said law.
Old 10th May 2019, 09:09 AM   #58
crescent
Master Poster

Here is the thread from last year about the big collection in California. "California collector with 550 guns gets busted".

PS: This is not the collector that BStrong and Thermal are talking about right now.
I followed that story - but after the first few days there were no more articles on it. I have not been able to find any follow-up stories. It does not help that he has a very common name, so any search turns up all sorts of misbehavior by other people with the same name.

Last edited by crescent; 10th May 2019 at 09:12 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 09:33 AM   #59
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Yeah, I saw that mentioned, but would be interested to know the law as regards what should happen, rather than a case where the LAPD may or may not have complied with said law.
In California, there are certain local jurisdictions that had a long history of confiscating firearms when encountered, even without any criminal activity involved or a conviction for illegal possession, etc.

Those same jurisdictions would refuse to return firearms to the lawful owner, even under court order to return the firearm in question.

Eventually, the State Attorney General's office through their Bureau of Firearms got into the act and established the LEGR (Law Enforcement Gun Release) order.

In theory, an individual who had a firearm confiscated from them in situations where no crime was committed and no prosecution was in process could apply to the BoF for this order:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...forms/legr.pdf

To have their firearm(s) returned to them.

I specified "in theory" because their have been numerous cases where individual jurisdictions have refused to return firearms to the lawful owner, even with a LEGR in hand. One of the most common dodges is the time honored "you have to see officer so and so. He's on vacation. I'll pass along the message" Officer so and so is never available, so...Firearms owner then finds themselves in court trying to reclaim their firearms...and like the case I cited, even a court order can end up being ignored.

Recently the BoF and our AG have decided that individuals who have had prior criminal convictions that would put them in the prohibited class who had their rights restored through the courts or pardon, etc, even individuals with ATF documentation that they are not prohibited from firearms possession are facing confiscation of any firearm in their possession and/or denying their purchase of a firearm in the background check process:

https://reason.com/2018/12/26/califo...ith-vacated-o/

"But not according to the state of California, where Linton and Stewart have long led law-abiding lives. The California Department of Justice (DOJ) maintains that their vacated felony convictions forever disqualify them from buying or possessing guns. Last week Linton and Stewart, joined by the Firearms Policy Coalition and three other gun rights groups, filed a federal lawsuit in San Francisco, arguing that California's policy violates the Second Amendment, the Full Faith and Credit Clause, and the Privileges and Immunities Clause.

California law, like federal law, prohibits people with felony convictions from owning firearms. On its face, that provision does not apply to people like Linton and Stewart, since their felony records have been vacated and therefore no longer exist as far the courts of conviction are concerned. Yet the California DOJ has told them that the state does not recognize those legal facts.

Both men, after thinking they had cleared up the matter, have attempted to buy firearms, only to be told that they are not legally allowed to do so in California. In Linton's case, the DOJ's Bureau of Firearms sent agents to his home in San Bernardino County last April and confiscated several guns he had legally purchased (or so he thought) after passing background checks. The complaint says the agents, after seeing Washington court documents showing that Linton's conviction had been vacated and his firearm rights restored, thought his guns should be returned, but they were overruled by Deputy Attorney General Robert Wilson."

The short answer to all this is that certain jurisdictions will not comply with legal orders to return firearms to the lawful owner, and we now have the state Department of Justice making it up as they go along to confiscate firearms or preventing individuals from purchasing firearms that have the legal right to do so.

My .02, at least as far as L.A.P.D. is concerned, is that individual officers have stolen firearms from evidence and the administration of the L.A.P.D. is simply attempting to stonewall any disclosure of officer misconduct.

Old 12th May 2019, 04:19 PM   #60
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, ...

If he was actually operating within the law, then I expect that he will get his guns back and that he will have good cause to sue for damages.

On the other hand, if he was operating outside of the law, then he is in some serious trouble and he will not be getting those guns back.

Personally, I expect that he is in serious trouble and that he will never get those guns back.
What will happen to them if they are confiscated?
Old 12th May 2019, 05:26 PM   #61
8enotto
Muse

Personal experience here. California does it's very best to make sure a few as possible are returned to owners after even minor traffic stops.

A friend was pulled over, in a vehicle search his empty hand gun was found in a locked case under the seat. The empty clips were in the glove box and the officer found no ammo. It was in a bag in the rear of the truck well hidden and out of reach. As was the law then.

He had no legal problems and could prove ownership.

He was duly informed his gun would be taken by the officer for reasons and he could reclaim it in 15 days. Except he couldn't for various reasons over several attempts and finally they refused him.

Reason given was he could prove no need for such a weapon. Not on a legal issue but a sort if occupation reasons. Amendment rights waived for a whim on the part of a police department.

It made little sense and there was no appeal. He was angry as expected and legal action would be far more than the price of another gun.

One of mine was taken out at a shooting range. An old shotgun. Modified to singleshot and cut down for a damaged barrel. Officer didn't think it passed legal length but it did by 2".

No proof I owned it meant no manner of recovery. It had been gifted to me in another state in a broken condition.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events