ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange

Old 1st May 2019, 05:27 AM   #1081
jeremyp
Muse

Julian Assange has been sentenced to 50 weeks in prison for breach of bail.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 07:24 AM   #1082
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If he gave a guilty plea before the hearing he will get up to 1/3 discount and will serve half of the remaining time.
So, he could be out in 16 weeks. If he went not guilty he will lose his discount and will get 25 weeks inside.
His remaining time will be 'on license'.
He will have to agree to various conditions like place of abode, reporting to police and probation etc otherwise he can be recalled to prison
If they think he is not going to comply they may make him do the full time inside.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 08:36 AM   #1083
Thermal
Philosopher

Prediction: For the next few years, the reporting on Assange will be what country is imprisoning him, of the three currently in the queue. UK will be out first, Sweden will get the next grab, with the US waiting patiently till the Swedes are done with him, then off to America to deal with the weak computer intrusion charges followed by multiple new ones that just happen to come up since then. He will be largely forgotten in the news by the time he tastes freedom again.
Old 1st May 2019, 09:18 AM   #1084
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Julian Assange has been sentenced to 50 weeks in prison for breach of bail.
Does he get to bring his cat with him?

Given the fact that so many were claiming his stay at the embassy was like a form of incarceration, it will be interesting to see how he reacts when he really does lose his freedom.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 10:19 AM   #1085
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Does he get to bring his cat with him?

Given the fact that so many were claiming his stay at the embassy was like a form of incarceration, it will be interesting to see how he reacts when he really does lose his freedom.
He'll probably have a better time of it in the UK and Sweden than he had at the Embassy, but his unexpectedly prolonged stay in the Land of the Free wi likely suck
Old 1st May 2019, 11:24 AM   #1086
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Quote:
He'll probably have a better time of it in the UK and Sweden than he had at the Embassy...
Do you really think so?

At the embassy, he could basically set his own hours, could have visitors stay for extended periods of time, had (at least for a while) unlimited communications with the outside world.

In prison, his life will be much more strictly regimented. No lengthy visits from friends/celebrities, no unlimited internet usage.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 11:38 AM   #1087
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If he gave a guilty plea before the hearing he will get up to 1/3 discount and will serve half of the remaining time.
So, he could be out in 16 weeks. If he went not guilty he will lose his discount and will get 25 weeks inside.
His remaining time will be 'on license'.
He will have to agree to various conditions like place of abode, reporting to police and probation etc otherwise he can be recalled to prison
If they think he is not going to comply they may make him do the full time inside.
Heíll be fine then. I canít think of any reason why he might not comply.....

.... oh, wait.

In fact, I think he is going to be in British custody for longer than fifty weeks. Iím sure heís going to fight his extradition to the USA and I canít see the courts granting him bail while that legal battle is going on.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 11:47 AM   #1088
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If they do let him out on bail, he should go back to Sweden as soon as possible, before the UK completes the process of extraditing him to the US.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 07:09 PM   #1089
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Do you really think so?

At the embassy, he could basically set his own hours, could have visitors stay for extended periods of time, had (at least for a while) unlimited communications with the outside world.

In prison, his life will be much more strictly regimented. No lengthy visits from friends/celebrities, no unlimited internet usage.
That's true, prison is no picnic. But in a lower end security prison, you can move around, go outside, and interact with other people.

What struck me about the Embassy is the monotony. Very small quarters, no outdoors at all, and while he had guests, they weren't exactly daily.

The biggest thing will be the internet connection. He is effectively cut off from Wikileaks for, what, eight years at a minimum, assuming the Swedes get their crack within the next year?. Their donations will slowly dry up, and Wikileaks with it, unless a serious leak brings them to public attention again. Maybe one of the other leak sites will rise to fill the void. I hope so. Many leakers don't want to go the Snowden route through the papers and go personally public.
Old 1st May 2019, 10:29 PM   #1090
trustbutverify
Philosopher

That's true, prison is no picnic. But in a lower end security prison, you can move around, go outside, and interact with other people.

What struck me about the Embassy is the monotony. Very small quarters, no outdoors at all, and while he had guests, they weren't exactly daily.

The biggest thing will be the internet connection. He is effectively cut off from Wikileaks for, what, eight years at a minimum, assuming the Swedes get their crack within the next year?. Their donations will slowly dry up, and Wikileaks with it, unless a serious leak brings them to public attention again. Maybe one of the other leak sites will rise to fill the void. I hope so. Many leakers don't want to go the Snowden route through the papers and go personally public.
My concern is who is going to fill the void of impregnating females against their will. Perhaps one of Assange's toadies will take up the mantle.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 11:57 PM   #1091
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Prediction: For the next few years, the reporting on Assange will be what country is imprisoning him, of the three currently in the queue. UK will be out first, Sweden will get the next grab, with the US waiting patiently till the Swedes are done with him, then off to America to deal with the weak computer intrusion charges followed by multiple new ones that just happen to come up since then. He will be largely forgotten in the news by the time he tastes freedom again.
Youíre assuming that Sweden would extradite him to the US, which is not certain.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 01:57 AM   #1092
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If they do let him out on bail, he should go back to Sweden as soon as possible, before the UK completes the process of extraditing him to the US.
I imagine the UK would then issue an EAW to get him back. Then he would face another jail term for again breaching of his bail conditions, possibly after he has served a sentence for rape in Sweden and after the US have had a go at him.
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:23 AM   #1093
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Assange would probably have done better to have taken refuge in the Russian Embassy. The problem in the Assange case, as I see it, is that there has been a gradual erosion in the respect for international law over the years by countries like America and Britain, and dare I say even Israel. Those countries seem to think that international legality does not apply to them. If you don't try to avoid controversy and make a posting on the internet, say, suggesting that you don't approve of same sex marriages you can now lose your job and be extradited to the United States and hauled before the biased courts of North Carolina. This is what Assange is now up against.

There is a bit of background to this sort of thing in that book The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham published in 2010:

Quote:
Three defendants were it, it seems, rendered to the United States to stand trial in the decade before 1995, but in that year President Clinton issued a Presidential Decision Directive which stated: 'where we do not receive adequate cooperation from a State that harbors a terrorist whose extradition we are seeking, we shall take appropriate measures to induce cooperation. Return of suspects by force may be effected without the cooperation of the host government.' This led to a steep increase in the number of renditions: forty in the three years following the Directive. But in all these cases the suspect was seized in order that he should stand trial in the United States.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:12 AM   #1094
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Assange would probably have done better to have taken refuge in the Russian Embassy. The problem in the Assange case, as I see it, is that there has been a gradual erosion in the respect for international law over the years by countries like America and Britain, and dare I say even Israel. Those countries seem to think that international legality does not apply to them. If you don't try to avoid controversy and make a posting on the internet, say, suggesting that you don't approve of same sex marriages you can now lose your job and be extradited to the United States and hauled before the biased courts of North Carolina. This is what Assange is now up against.

There is a bit of background to this sort of thing in that book The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham published in 2010:
So the DUP have been extradited to the US? FFS.
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:43 AM   #1095
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Assange would probably have done better to have taken refuge in the Russian Embassy.
He would have done even better just going back to face the music in Sweden. He'd be out of prison by now.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:54 AM   #1096
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Youíre assuming that Sweden would extradite him to the US, which is not certain.
Not an assumption. A prediction. Much as I predicted that the US would whip out a sealed indictment on some petty criminal charge, which was not certain either.
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:57 AM   #1097
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
He would have done even better just going back to face the music in Sweden. He'd be out of prison by now.
...and been in a US prison. At least he got a few more years of free wifi going the Embassy route.
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:06 PM   #1098
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He will be a 'Cat C' Prisoner and because of his 'celebrity' status no doubt he will be 'on the rule' and put on to the segregated wing for protection. He will however be expected to do some kind of work regime. If he doesn't he will spend most of the day in his Pad and won't have any money for Canteen or toiletries other than the meagre issued items.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:12 AM   #1099
jeremyp
Muse

Assange would probably have done better to have taken refuge in the Russian Embassy. The problem in the Assange case, as I see it, is that there has been a gradual erosion in the respect for international law over the years by countries like America and Britain, and dare I say even Israel.
How have Britain and the USA broken international law in the Assange case?

Quote:
If you don't try to avoid controversy and make a posting on the internet, say, suggesting that you don't approve of same sex marriages you can now lose your job and be extradited to the United States and hauled before the biased courts of North Carolina. This is what Assange is now up against.
I think citation need for that one.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:07 AM   #1100
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Sweden have re-opened the case.

Quote:
Swedish prosecutors have announced they are reopening an investigation into a rape allegation against Julian Assange.

Prosecutors dropped the investigation in 2017 because they were unable to proceed while Assange remained in the Ecuadorian embassy in London. They said at the time that the investigation could be reopened if the situation changed.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:28 AM   #1101
Arcade22
Philosopher

Stature of limitations mean that they have about 15 months to formally file charges in court, meaning that there's almost certainly no way he could face trial if he's extradited to the US.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 05:12 AM   #1102
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Stature of limitations mean that they have about 15 months to formally file charges in court, meaning that there's almost certainly no way he could face trial if he's extradited to the US.
The UK gets to determine priority, if I understand the process correctly. Bet you a dollar that the US graciously steps aside for Sweden to have at him. The States waited till quite literally the last possible day to file the sealed indictment in open court before their own statute of limitations was exceeded, and this was for charges stemming from 2010/11. If the objective is to keep Assange locked up and causing no more trouble, it truly shouldn't matter who has him behind bars. The States will be quite patient.
Old 13th May 2019, 07:02 AM   #1103
jeremyp
Muse

The UK gets to determine priority, if I understand the process correctly. Bet you a dollar that the US graciously steps aside for Sweden to have at him. The States waited till quite literally the last possible day to file the sealed indictment in open court before their own statute of limitations was exceeded, and this was for charges stemming from 2010/11. If the objective is to keep Assange locked up and causing no more trouble, it truly shouldn't matter who has him behind bars. The States will be quite patient.
I think the ultimate decision as to who gets Assange first rests with the British Home Secretary. He might use the statute of limitations as an argument to send him to Sweden first. There seems to be a lot more support to send him there than to send him to the USA, partly because of the nature of the accusations and partly because a lot of people don't think he'll ever see the light of day again if we send him to the USA.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:29 AM   #1104
Arcade22
Philosopher

I just read the Juilan Assange article on Wikipedia and it repeated the claim that Assange was afraid of being extradited to the US from Sweden, because he allegedly could face the death penalty there.

This is the biggest and most dishonest claim made by him and his supporters. I've said it before and I will say it again: Sweden does not extradite or deport people to areas where they can face the death penalty, corporal punishment, are at risk of being victimized or otherwise face a real risk against their life or well being.

At least in theory that is. Sometimes the authoraties have made quite questionable decisions in the past, but they would certainly require that he wouldn't face the death penalty for any alleged crimes.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:30 AM   #1105
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I just read the Juilan Assange article on Wikipedia and it repeated the claim that Assange was afraid of being extradited to the US from Sweden, because he allegedly could face the death penalty there.

This is the biggest and most dishonest claim made by him and his supporters. I've said it before and I will say it again: Sweden does not extradite or deport people to areas where they can face the death penalty, corporal punishment, are at risk of being victimized or otherwise face a real risk against their life or well being.

At least in theory that is. Sometimes the authoraties have made quite questionable decisions in the past, but they would certainly require that he wouldn't face the death penalty for any alleged crimes.
I believe the same applies to the UK.
Old 13th May 2019, 01:34 PM   #1106
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Another link - NYT

Looks like the Brits might get to decide who has dibs on Mr. Assange next.

Quote:
The United States has already begun trying to extradite Mr. Assange, an effort that was expected to be prolonged and complex even before the announcement in Stockholm on Monday.

British officials will determine which case takes precedence, Swedish prosecutors said, adding that if Mr. Assange were eventually extradited to Sweden, he could not be sent to the United States without the consent of Britain.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:28 AM   #1107
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

There is a bit of legal waffle about extradition between America and Britain, which applies to the Assange case, in that book The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham published in 2010:

Quote:
The Intelligence and Security Committee expressed its conclusions in this way:

What the rendition programme has shown is that in what it refers to as 'the war on terror' the US will take whatever action it deems necessary, within US law, to protect its national security from those it considers to pose a serious threat. Although the US may take note of UK protests and concerns, this does not appear materially to affect its strategy on rendition.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events