ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bubonic plague , disease incidents , disease issues , Mongolia incidents

Old 10th May 2019, 02:09 AM   #41
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Was that after 1999?

Increased incidence of trichinosis cases in Germany - 06/1999
No, vet inspections have not done away with the risks. There is a way to eliminate the risk but it appears that is subject to human error.
Oh wow. I'm living dangerously. Never knew.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 05:27 AM   #42
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I dunno. A tourist couple going on vacation abroad to hunt the local rodents would be pretty damn weird.
Disney has done some pretty dark movies before.
Old 10th May 2019, 07:14 AM   #43
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Last of the Mo-freak-ans.
"Alexa, is saying Last of the Mo-freak-ans racist?"
Old 10th May 2019, 12:02 PM   #44
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
On the TV series "Dead Like Me", people who became Grim Reapers when they died were assigned to handle specific causes of death and could only move on to the afterlife themselves once they had harvested a certain number of souls. In one episode, a group of very old Reapers responsible for plague victims were shown with desperate looks on their faces, sitting in the park watching people feed squirrels.
I LOVED that show. I have extremely few TV series I own on DVD (can probably count them on one hand), but I have that one.

When I climbed, er, hiked, Mt. Whitney, there were marmots all over the damn place. When we left our campsite at Consolation Lake to go to the summit, the Boy Scouts who were camped on our way to the switchbacks were feeding the marmots their (the scouts', not the marmots') morning oatmeal.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 12:10 PM   #45
carrps
Thinker

Ah, I just went to the link in the OP, and the caption under the picture at the top mentions tourists being affected by the plague issues (i.e. due to border closings). That's where the tourist confusion must have gotten started.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 02:40 AM   #46
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Yes their remaining (orphaned) 4 children will be so thrilled . . .

Again, like the petard post, Darwin Award doesn’t even apply here’s either.

BTW, Why are so many poster here so gleeful about a couple dying from food poisoning?
WTF is wrong with everyone?
This.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 06:48 PM   #47
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Disney has done some pretty dark movies before.
Have you seen the end of 1979's The Black Hole? Still not sure what the hell that was all about, but it was pretty dark. Pun not intended.

And let's not get into The Watcher in the Woods.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events