ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racial incidents , school incidents

Old 10th May 2019, 01:01 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Noose ladies suspended from California school

Principal and teachers are suspended from California elementary school after leaked photo showed them posing and grinning with a noose

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A California principal and four teachers have been placed on administrative leave after an image circulated showing them smiling as they posed with a noose.

Linda Brandt, the principal of Summerwind Elementary School in Palmdale, reportedly shared the photograph in an email to all teachers earlier this month.

It shows four educators Ė one believed by people close to the situation to have not had her first year contract renewed for a second year prior to the scandal breaking Ė dangling and pointing to the rope tied into a fashion to hang.

Alongside on of it hanging on a classroom wall, the pictures quickly spread to parents via Instagram.

'They had the audacity to show up today,' Shaka Phillipps, a former teacher, administrator, and educational consultant, told Yahoo Lifestyle as she protested them still having their jobs Thursday. 'The integrity of the school is completely compromised. To the black community, a noose is a weapon, a symbol of slavery and lynching.'

Her niece attends the school and she said she is 'now questioning the education every student of color has received in this class'...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-NOOSE.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2199.jpg (39.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20515.jpg (43.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 10th May 2019, 01:59 PM   #2
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Principal and teachers are suspended from California elementary school after leaked photo showed them posing and grinning with a noose

Shaka Phillips needs to learn that not everything is about black people.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:00 PM   #3
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It seems like a hard charge to counter. I mean, about the only way to counter the argument that the teachers were biased would be to assert that they're too stupid to teach.

Having known a few teachers, I can sort of see the idea of a "back to school necklace" as a way of emphasizing how hard their life is, but if that were the gesture intended, anyone with a shred of perception would have put the noose on herself, not the wall.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Thermal
Philosopher

Ok. What were they joking about with a noose: a hangman kind of thing, or lynching? Maybe a tasteless gag about suicide being the retirement plan in the district?

Seriously, I'd like to hear their story. As discussed on the Boeing thread, lynching is skmethkng that doesn't jump out as a noose connotation. Maybe it's a regional thing, I dunno.
Old 10th May 2019, 02:23 PM   #5
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok. What were they joking about with a noose: a hangman kind of thing, or lynching? Maybe a tasteless gag about suicide being the retirement plan in the district?

Seriously, I'd like to hear their story. As discussed on the Boeing thread, lynching is skmethkng that doesn't jump out as a noose connotation. Maybe it's a regional thing, I dunno.
I think you are clutching at straws to defend the indefensible. You would have to live in a cave not to get the symbolism of a noose in this age.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:24 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently it's a labor union thing as well? Some kind of intimidation or protest tactic by union members against management?

So maybe that's the case here.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:28 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Everyone makes macabre jokes about their workplaces. But I think this one may have been highly insensitive.

Also, love the pun in the thread title.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:30 PM   #8
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I think you are clutching at straws to defend the indefensible. You would have to live in a cave not to get the symbolism of a noose in this age.
When its pointed out, sure. Then you realize how inappropriate it is. My first thought is suicide, followed by horror flicks and Westerns. As I said on the other thread, the first time I recall hearing about lynching was briefly in high school, and never discussed again that I recall. But the other connotations come up fairly frequently
Old 10th May 2019, 03:02 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, after the Jussie Smollett thing, you'd think that all of Woke America (which certainly includes California schoolteachers) would know what a noose means.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:05 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Any noose is suicide right now. Job suicide and possibly more. If a noose appears then somebody has to be fired.

Suicide by noose.
Old 10th May 2019, 03:11 PM   #11
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Typical of Principals/Teachers to be months behind on the meme game.

Just the most recent example I could think of depicting humour derived from the image of a noose and hanging which has nothing to do with race. Not saying that is necessarily the case here, just refuting the idea that noose = lynching = racism.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 10th May 2019 at 03:15 PM.
Bouncing Bettys is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:32 PM   #12
ginjawarrior
Thinker

what is the context for the pics? i remember a game we used to play in class at school (uk) with the teacher and amongst ourselves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman_(game)

googling it there's loads of games as an aid to learning english

https://www.ego4u.com/en/chill-out/games/hangman

i dont know the context of that picture or the background of the people in it. but can only imagine how big an uproar there might be if my childhood game was played there
ginjawarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I always associated nooses with the wild west.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:44 PM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by ginjawarrior View Post
what is the context for the pics? i remember a game we used to play in class at school (uk) with the teacher and amongst ourselves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman_(game)

googling it there's loads of games as an aid to learning english

https://www.ego4u.com/en/chill-out/games/hangman

i dont know the context of that picture or the background of the people in it. but can only imagine how big an uproar there might be if my childhood game was played there
Making and displaying a noose is not in the same ballpark as hangman. Itís not on the same planet.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Making and displaying a noose is not in the same ballpark as hangman. Itís not on the same planet.
Give it a few months.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:52 PM   #16
TomB
Muse

Growing up white in the midwest, I knew that lynching often involved hanging. But that's never been what comes to mind when I see a noose. Like Thermal, I associate it with horse thieves being hung in westerns or suicide. The association with racism is pretty recent for me.

The symbol that suggests lynching (or the threat of lynching to me) is a burning cross. (Which, in a different context is similar to the symbol of the Methodist church my family attended.)

That said, for the teachers would have to be pretty out of touch with current events to not know that it has a racial connotation even if that's not what they intended. And even then, to actually share the pictures with the whole faculty seems a bit off. I'm not a big fan of joking about suicide after one of my daughter's friends killed himself a couple years ago. (By hanging, actually.)
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:24 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I despair for my race. Not the White race, the human one.

Stupid.
Old 10th May 2019, 05:19 PM   #18
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Note notice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^fixed up nicely!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 06:03 PM   #19
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I would like to compliment WP on the witty double entendre thread title.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 06:04 PM   #20
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I still contend that, whatever the purported meaning of a noose might be, it always implies death by hanging; if someone wants to imply that the noose is intended for herself, it would be on herself, not on the wall or in her hand. One has to assume that any other use of the noose by someone with enough intelligence to tie her own shoes in the morning is directed outward.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 06:30 PM   #21
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Shouldn't we determine the race of the person that's missing from the wheelchair before we jump to conclusions that this is a racist incident? Maybe they're just bragging about having hanged some lame white person.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 07:54 PM   #22
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I always associated nooses with the wild west.
Yep. Around these parts cattle rustlers get the noose too.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:28 PM   #23
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The jury at Chez Foolmewunz is still out on this. I'd like to hear what they THOUGHT they were doing and what the cryptic comment by the principal meant.

At best, they're just totally clueless to the implications to other races than their own. Particularly since we just had the racial connotations all over the news in the Boeing incident in South Carolina.

I automatically discount:

Reference to Hangman. No. It's not like Wizard's chess. No one has ever played a word game with death seriously on the table. (Unless it's a "here go hang yourself" message but I'd think that would be addressed to the principal.)

Reference to suicide. If it is, it's totally incongruous because of the smiling/laughing pose. Also, most suicide by hanging does not involve a proper noose. ((Unless it's a "here go hang yourself" message but I'd think that would be addressed to the principal.)

A threat to blacks. The district is majority Hispanic with an additional 11% black. And it's an elementary school. Where would the racial animus come from? They've been teaching there for sometime. The usual target would be the principal (da boss) but she's involved in it.

Rustlers. I doubt that area of CA was ever a part of the wild west and haven't heard of gangs of rustlers or horse thieves.

Is there some sort of dispute between the school and district? School politics in CA can be quite messy. Unions have a lot of clout and some issues turn into pitched battles.

I'd like to see some explanation. At present it seems to be a clumsy and insensitive moment, but I'm open to other possibilities.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:40 PM   #24
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The jury at Chez Foolmewunz is still out on this. I'd like to hear what they THOUGHT they were doing and what the cryptic comment by the principal meant.

At best, they're just totally clueless to the implications to other races than their own. Particularly since we just had the racial connotations all over the news in the Boeing incident in South Carolina.

I automatically discount:

Reference to Hangman. No. It's not like Wizard's chess. No one has ever played a word game with death seriously on the table. (Unless it's a "here go hang yourself" message but I'd think that would be addressed to the principal.)

Reference to suicide. If it is, it's totally incongruous because of the smiling/laughing pose. Also, most suicide by hanging does not involve a proper noose. ((Unless it's a "here go hang yourself" message but I'd think that would be addressed to the principal.)

A threat to blacks. The district is majority Hispanic with an additional 11% black. And it's an elementary school. Where would the racial animus come from? They've been teaching there for sometime. The usual target would be the principal (da boss) but she's involved in it.

Rustlers. I doubt that area of CA was ever a part of the wild west and haven't heard of gangs of rustlers or horse thieves.

Is there some sort of dispute between the school and district? School politics in CA can be quite messy. Unions have a lot of clout and some issues turn into pitched battles.

I'd like to see some explanation. At present it seems to be a clumsy and insensitive moment, but I'm open to other possibilities.
Even though I'm thoroughly unconvinced it is racist, it is clumsy and insensitive, even if they intended nothing racist. The fact that they were unaware that it could even be considered racist is kind of clumsy and, no matter what they were thinking, they were still posing with an instrument of death which is kind of a weird image for teachers. However, "clumsy and insensitive" is not a good reason for getting someone fired, or even suspended. We're way too sensitive these days.

I've never lived in any part of the country that was the wild west (well, I was born in Durango, but by the time I was six years old I lived in Illinois) I would say most Americans my age would still be more likely to associate nooses with the wild west, due to the influence of Westerns in movies and TV. Between John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, "Bonanza" and "Gunsmoke", there were plenty of nooses to go around. Maybe the younger generation is more inclined to associate nooses with lynching.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 10th May 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10th May 2019, 09:00 PM   #25
Cain
Straussian

Malice, stupidity and all of that. Maybe I'm more sympathetic audience as anyone can win me over with a little gallows humor. And everybody has gaps in their knowledge. I recently heard about a co-ed who grew up believing Alaska and Hawaii were in close proximity, which confounded her as Alaska is famously cold and Hawaii is famously tropical. How could she believe such a foolish thing? Because they're bunched together in the lower left corner of U.S. maps!
Old 11th May 2019, 01:45 AM   #26
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

This measured, considered and well reasoned response from Darren Harper (whoever the **** he is?) to the crass episode sums up the depths to which people will go to create an issue of race where one does not, on the face of it and without further investigation, exist.

Quote:
You hate them little black babies. You hate them little Spanish babies. All them little minorities, you hate them just of where they're from. Because of the color of their skin you hate them? They're innocent. My babies.'
The irony is that all the commentators could be described as a modern day lynch mob.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 01:56 AM   #27
3point14
Pi

Making and displaying a noose is not in the same ballpark as hangman. It’s not on the same planet.

I learned to tie a noose a long time ago.

Occasionally, if there's a random chord near me, I'll just tie one for practice. The entirety of the meaning of this is that I am practicing tying a knot.

Then again, I'm not in the USA, so the cultural connotations of the noose just don't exist. Sailors being hanged from yardarms is probably the strongest association.

I think it's a shame the racists get to control what others can and cannot say and do in that anything they adopt to intimidate becomes, for reasons I can't explain, unacceptable in every other context whatsoever (c.f. Danny Baker). It's frustrating.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 11th May 2019 at 02:58 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 02:31 AM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Being some where, where there is no historical context it seems more a dumb suicide/execution reference than race thing.

Nooses have been around for a very long time

The race thing doesn't have a monopoly
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 11th May 2019 at 02:32 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 04:24 AM   #29
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I would like to compliment WP on the witty double entendre thread title.
Yes, I was doubtful about opening it but that swung it for me.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 04:29 AM   #30
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Being some where, where there is no historical context it seems more a dumb suicide/execution reference than race thing.

Nooses have been around for a very long time

The race thing doesn't have a monopoly
Unless you have had your head in the sand for the past decade for so.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11th May 2019, 04:33 AM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Or unless you think nooses have only been around for the last decade or so.

Newsflash

Google them and learn
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 05:34 AM   #32
3point14
Pi

It depends where you are.

There's zero connotations of racism in regards nooses here.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 06:11 AM   #33
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It depends where you are.

There's zero connotations of racism in regards nooses here.
I think it depends far more on where your head is.
Old 11th May 2019, 06:15 AM   #34
3point14
Pi

I think it depends far more on where your head is.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Old 11th May 2019, 06:25 AM   #35
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Nooses are also quite prevalent in asphyx fetish art. (As are titles like, "Noose ladies suspended from California school.")
Old 11th May 2019, 06:30 AM   #36
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
It's more related to your personal and cultural experience than geography.

An American Southerner, especially a POC, would likely have strong connotations to klan lynchings. Hell, black people in general might well have that their first hit.

People who grew up only seeing a noose in horror flicks and Westerns would obviously associate it with them. Someone like lionking, who I gather is Australian, might have no other connotations than what they see in the news (note they referenced 'in the past decade'), which would be strictly the racist murder angle. So they would see it as 'grasping at straws', when other Americans have already posted that they think of nooses in the same way.
Old 11th May 2019, 06:46 AM   #37
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This measured, considered and well reasoned response from Darren Harper (whoever the **** he is?) to the crass episode sums up the depths to which people will go to create an issue of race where one does not, on the face of it and without further investigation, exist.

The irony is that all the commentators could be described as a modern day lynch mob.
Are you suggesting that the commentators believe the teachers should be publicly executed without trial?

While expressing disdain for them, calling them racists, and calling for their summary dismissal may be excessive, or at least premature, it will never be lynching, and I think it's really important to remember this. Fuzzing the distinction smacks of the same kind of cluelessness that gives rise to incidents like this in the first place.

Old 11th May 2019, 06:50 AM   #38
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Fake noose
Old 11th May 2019, 06:51 AM   #39
TomB
Muse

Other than movies, the other references I grew up with were music:

Gallows Pole-Led Zeppelin
Gimme Some Water-Eddie Money
Renegade-Styx
And probably several others I still hear on classic rock radio.

50 years of association does not change easily.

That doesnít excuse them from being stupid and deserving disciplinary action. But it does show that itís credible that they werenít thinking in terms of race.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 07:10 AM   #40
Thermal
Philosopher

The article says there are a few black teachers there. It would be interesting to know if they knew about this, and if so what their take is on it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events