ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th May 2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Mother charged after children rescued from hot car

One of these stories with a happy ending for once; police in Maryland rescued seven very young children that had been left in a car in a store parking lot, after one of the children called 911 for help.

Quote:
Charles County deputies received the call just after 1 p.m. on Friday. The child told a 911 dispatcher he did not know where they were, but authorities were able to trace the call to a mall parking lot in St. Charles, Maryland, the Charles County Sheriff's Office said in a press release.

The seven children, ages 2 to 4, were found in the vehicle, which had its windows rolled up. Authorities said the kids had been left unattended for at least 20 minutes.

"Officers helped the children out of the vehicle and Charles County Fire/EMS provided treatment on the scene," the sheriff's office said.

According to WJLA, the kids were "scared" and "sweaty." Temperatures in the area climbed up to around 80 degrees on Friday. Authorities believe the 4-year-old used a phone left in the car to call for help, according to the outlet.

A 37-year-old woman arrived back at the car about 10 minutes after police. The woman, who is the mother of two of the children and was babysitting the others, was arrested and charged with confinement of children inside a motor vehicle. Authorities said they were not releasing the woman's name to protect the children's identities.
The article also mentions "additional charges" expected. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say one or more of those charges might appertain to how seven children ages 4 and under were supposed to be safely and properly restrained inside that car while it was traveling. Assuming the Monte Carlo in the photo at the top of the article was the vehicle in question, of course.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 11:44 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Good kid

I have read that if it's a particularly decent summer

If the weather is 35 degrees C, are car parked up in it can reach 65 degrees C

Or 149 F

Bye bye dead baby or pet dog
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:10 PM   #3
bytewizard
Master Poster

Yes, good luck fitting 7 car seats in that automobile. And 5 of these infants she is babysitting? Great vetting by the other parents. I wonder what was so important to buy in the mall.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:08 PM   #4
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Yes, good luck fitting 7 car seats in that automobile. And 5 of these infants she is babysitting? Great vetting by the other parents. I wonder what was so important to buy in the mall.
Contraceptives hopefully.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:13 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Mandatory abortions for unqualified people.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:18 PM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
We have had worse here

There was a couple of cases not that long ago.

Both left their babys in cars to go and play pokies* for who knows how long time.

Both luckily were noticed by passers by and rescued.

Both took ages to find the mothers

* Pokies - definition - Kind of like a fruit machine, but different, a gambling digital equivalent you have here in pubs and gambling joints.

Bit like the electronic betting games in the UK, but you win shed loads more money, or lose.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events