ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion issues , abortion laws

Old 15th May 2019, 09:51 AM   #41
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
A bit off topic, but I have always been a bit confused why these kind of full on "moral" laws (for want of a better word. Eg Death penalty and abortion, gun restrictions etc) are State decided, yet silly things like age of having a beer are federal.

That's because beer is far more important than a woman's right to choose what path she wants her own life and body to go in.

Men like beer. More so than they like women, apparently.
Old 15th May 2019, 09:54 AM   #42
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
A bit off topic, but I have always been a bit confused why these kind of full on "moral" laws (for want of a better word. Eg Death penalty and abortion, gun restrictions etc) are State decided, yet silly things like age of having a beer are federal.
The Federal Government basically strong armed the 21 year old drinking age with highway funds. In 1984 they passed a law basically going "You can set your drinking age to whatever you want... but it ain't 21 you're losing 10% of your highway funds."

Up until the early 80s the drinking age vary widely from 18 to 21 throughout the various states.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 11:05 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Simple explanation.

An individual has a toothache, makes an appointment with a dentist and has the tooth pulled.

An individual has a toothache, makes an appointment with a dentist and on the way to see the Dr. is assaulted and their attacker yanks the tooth in question from the victim's mouth.

One is a crime, one isn't.
Given the cost of dental treatment I know which is the crime! I suspect the attacker could make a good career out of his extractions, can't be done for practicing medicine without a licence and no one will press charges... excuse me just going to check my tool box, sure I've got an old pair of pliers.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:10 AM   #44
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wouldn't a legal abortion between 8 and 24 weeks be a lawful death, and therefore not prosecutable as foeticide?
This.

The law already categorizes killings into different crimes based on the circumstances.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:44 AM   #45
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
I'd think there's a difference between a woman making a decision to a bort, and being caused to miscarry by someone else's action.
I was under the impression that foeticide referred to killing a foetus outside of a legal abortion (whether caused by the mother or not).
Old 19th May 2019, 10:31 AM   #46
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Is that really what you believe?

Most pro-choice folks seem to agree that the state should also be involved in deciding when the choice is even available to the mother. First trimester? Sure. Second and third trimesters? The state has the final say.

Are you saying that the woman involved should be able to decide up until the moment of birth?
I thought I was very clear on that, but basically yes. Though I find that to be highly unlikely.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 10:33 AM   #47
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Though I would prefer and hope it is actually what would happen that the baby would be made available for adoption,

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:41 PM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Though I would prefer and hope it is actually what would happen that the baby would be made available for adoption,
You're saying it should be legal for a woman whose water has broken, who is about to give birth to a healthy baby, to go to an abortionist instead.

Is that correct?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 11:51 PM   #49
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You're saying it should be legal for a woman whose water has broken, who is about to give birth to a healthy baby, to go to an abortionist instead.

Is that correct?
why not?
Because we know what an "abortionist" would do - which is exactly what any other doctor would do.
Old 20th May 2019, 06:13 AM   #50
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
why not?
Because we know what an "abortionist" would do - which is exactly what any other doctor would do.
Does "abortionist" mean "doctor"? I get confused because I was under the impression that a woman who wanted an abortion went to a doctor.

That's how it works in Sweden, anyway.

I also believe that an abortion on a healthy woman who's water has broken with a healthy baby is normally called a "birth".

Post not directed at you TGZ, but rather an expression of sincere disbelief.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 20th May 2019 at 06:16 AM.
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 06:15 AM   #51
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Does "abortionist" mean "doctor"? I get confused because I was under the impression that a woman who wanted an abortion went to a doctor.

That's how it works in Sweden, anyway.
In the US, Conservatives have Doctors - Liberals have Abortionists.

I thought that was common knowledge.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:27 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

why not?

Terminate the fetus and remove it from the woman?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 07:31 AM   #53
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Terminate the fetus and remove it from the woman?
there is no such thing as an "abortionist" - this is intentionally loaded language.

And it is no longer a fetus at that point.
Old 20th May 2019, 10:40 AM   #54
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

there is no such thing as an "abortionist" - this is intentionally loaded language.
Sure there is, any doctor who would refuse to move an ectopic pregnancy to the uterus.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 11:36 AM   #55
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My apologies; I didn't mean to get stuck in a language dispute.

I simply wanted to confirm that fuelair (among others) is saying that it should be legal for a woman whose water has broken, and who is about to give birth to a healthy baby, to get an abortion instead.

The words I used were intended only to clarify that distinction between two choices. No additional loading or judgement was intended. Please re-read the question in that spirit, and answer according to your beliefs.

Quote:
And it is no longer a fetus at that point.
I don't know what you mean here.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:54 PM   #56
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I don't understand what you're saying here, as a pregnancy that has already self-terminated (water breaking) cannot be terminated. Abortion is premature termination of the pregnancy; it says nothing of the survival or not of the baby. (of course the baby usually is dying, that's why they need to be aborted)

I think I see the confusion, termination refers to the pregnancy. Not the fetus, it may survive the abortion or it may not (or already be dead). The pregnancy is aborted.

Last edited by Silly Green Monkey; 20th May 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 09:51 PM   #57
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crawtator View Post
This is somewhat of a spinoff from the thread in US Politics discussing different state laws concerning abortion. I've long been concerned with what I perceive are inconsistent approaches among states concerning what is murder of a fetus. There are a few states in which it is perfectly legal to have an abortion and the fetus does not seem to have any absolute right to life. Some of the same states also have laws against feticide (or foeticide) which criminalizes the wrongful death of the fetus, whether the mother or outside perpetrator.

I've noticed quite incongruous statements made about this and have never understood why the dichotomy of opinions. Can it be rationally claimed that there is a right to abort a fetus and still have feticide laws on the books in the same state? Or are these two positions irreconcilable?

FTR, I really haven't made up my mind and was looking for input from everyone. I really just can't wrap my head around these statutes existing in the same jurisdiction.
Are laws against Assault with a Deadly weapon consistent with a Doctor's ability to cut someone open with a scalpel during surgery?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events