ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:42 PM   #81
Crazycowbob
Bovine Overlord

There's still a pretty big demand for carbs, not only in the racing world, but also in customization and rebuilds. A lot of car guys are okay with losing stock equipment for newer chromed stuff, but computers are still seen as sacrilege. Plus there's also heavy demand in places where reliability and ease of repair are valued over performance and fuel economy. When you're 100 miles from the nearest town and your engine takes a dive, you stand a much better chance of getting that carb rigged up enough to get going again than you do if an electronic system goes down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2017, 04:40 AM   #82
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Came across these yesterday:

Anyone want to guess what they were on?
Old 21st May 2017, 05:46 AM   #83
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
An in line six or maybe a flathead?
Old 21st May 2017, 05:49 AM   #84
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
An in line six or maybe a flathead?
Definitely not an inline 6.

Not sure of the cylinder head configuration.
Old 21st May 2017, 07:45 AM   #85
madurobob
Philosopher

Racing lawnmower
Old 21st May 2017, 07:53 AM   #86
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Racing lawnmower
Nope.

6PM reveal if no one comes up with it!
Old 21st May 2017, 09:42 AM   #87
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I'm picturing an old open wheel car. Perhaps a Ford Cortina powered formula Ford?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 10:24 AM   #88
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I'm picturing an old open wheel car. Perhaps a Ford Cortina powered formula Ford?
Nope.
Old 21st May 2017, 10:50 AM   #89
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Conversions for modern motors as well:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...FRBEfgodYw4F3A
Old 21st May 2017, 12:26 PM   #90
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I think this thread turned out quite interesting. however: Sure caburetors are still around, but for an industry, it must still have been a huge change from a time when EVERY car produced had at least one carburetor, to just about a decade later, and it was a specialty product.

Hans
Old 21st May 2017, 03:43 PM   #91
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

The reveal:

We had a fly-in yesterday and those carbs reminded me of this thread.

I thought the little portion of the wood propeller might give it away. I guess not!

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 21st May 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 03:55 PM   #92
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I thought the propeller was part of a frame.

I'm guessing the two Holleys are more for redundancy than performance.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 04:04 PM   #93
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
The reveal:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4165/3...d8d34c57_z.jpg

I thought the little portion of the wood propellor might give it away. I guess not!
Sweet ride!

Are carbs standard on those birds? Carbs don't do well with steep inclines for more than a second or two - one of the reasons I put TBI on my off-road truck. It would cough and sputter when inching along a 45 degree-ish pitch left to right. That'd be kinda scary when flying!
Old 21st May 2017, 04:31 PM   #94
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Sweet ride!

Are carbs standard on those birds? Carbs don't do well with steep inclines for more than a second or two - one of the reasons I put TBI on my off-road truck. It would cough and sputter when inching along a 45 degree-ish pitch left to right. That'd be kinda scary when flying!
That has to be considered, but in normal coordinated turns, in spite of the bank the "g" forces act straight down in relation to the aircraft:

But they do need to be flexible enough to deal with slips and skids.
Old 21st May 2017, 06:53 PM   #95
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Do autogyros behave the same, though?
Old 21st May 2017, 07:10 PM   #96
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Do autogyros behave the same, though?
Pretty sure. It's still a "wing", albeit a rotary one.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:23 PM   #97
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Cool article about Holleys;

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...19_HagertyNews
Old 19th September 2018, 12:46 PM   #98
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone want to guess what they were on?
I saw the prop and recognized it as such. But the engine seemed small for an airplane, so I wondered if it wasn't something like an airboat. Didn't consider autogyro.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 01:21 PM   #99
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HghrSymmetry View Post
Thanks for posting that. It reminds me of the Starrett factory in that they have a mix of very old equipment and new equipment.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 05:04 PM   #100
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

YW Galaxie.
Old 19th September 2018, 06:09 PM   #101
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The amount of hand-work in that video is pretty clear demonstration of why those are no longer used in production cars. Then again, that kind of carb never really was. Quite a lovely video.
Old 19th September 2018, 06:36 PM   #102
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Nice article. A lot of thought went into the design of all those jigs and weldments. I don't suppose many new carburetors are being designed these days but once upon a time some toolmakers really earned their keep.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 09:12 PM   #103
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
..... no longer used in production cars. Then again, that kind of carb never really was. Quite a lovely video.
Except for Ford hi-po 390, 427,428,429,460... And my favorite, the Mercury 410.

In fact, I still have the Holley off the 67 410 that I put into my 72 F250. It has a Motorcraft part number stamped in it, starts with C7. The cam I ran was a C6OZ 6250-BB, 428 Cobrajet cam.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 09:16 PM   #104
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

YW Galaxie.
You've got me and Google stumped.

Now a "Q car" I know. One lives next door- Galaxie 7.0, last year of the 428. Factory Holley.

And on the other side a 68 Riviera 430, so also 7.0. Quadajet on that one.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 05:22 AM   #105
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I remember when Carter Carburetor was a major employer here in St. Louis. At the time, we had plants for all the major US car manufacturers, and Carter churned out carbs for all of them.
Back in the early 70s, we (the police department) were running mostly Chrysler products with the big 383 CU engines. We bought a number with the huge 440 CU, fitted with the 4-barrel carb. Absolute beasts...

I remember that there were something on the order of 40 external adjustments on these carbs to keep them running right... So naturally ours seldom did.

I have fond memories of being able to buy a “rebuild kit” for a standard carb that cost about 2 bucks.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 05:40 AM   #106
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I remember when Carter Carburetor was a major employer here in St. Louis. At the time, we had plants for all the major US car manufacturers, and Carter churned out carbs for all of them.
Back in the early 70s, we (the police department) were running mostly Chrysler products with the big 383 CU engines. We bought a number with the huge 440 CU, fitted with the 4-barrel carb. Absolute beasts...

I remember that there were something on the order of 40 external adjustments on these carbs to keep them running right... So naturally ours seldom did.

I have fond memories of being able to buy a “rebuild kit” for a standard carb that cost about 2 bucks.
The Carter Carburetor design is still made and in use today, only now it carries the Edelbrock Performer name, and they aren't made in St. Louis...
Old 20th September 2018, 07:54 AM   #107
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
You've got me and Google stumped...
You're overthinking it. "YW Galaxie" = "You're welcome, Galaxie."
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 01:38 PM   #108
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Ha ha, yes. In fairness to casebro, it took me a second to get it, too.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #109
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
"Galaxie" is a trade mark for a Ford car. You having left out the comma in a thread about injection vs carb, made me think you were talking about an injected Ford muscle car. I was expecting "Car talk" rather than "Leet speak".
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:10 PM   #110
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I prefer electric driverless cars myself. <<Sniff>>

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Please tell me that the Countach(upthread) with the V-8 has, at least, a bit of a snarl.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:44 PM   #111
kayle
Thinker

what the hell happened to steam engine manufacturers?
kayle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2018, 02:34 PM   #112
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
There are still specialist manufactures turning out performance orientated carbs,
I believe Rockwell is dominating the market now.
Old 23rd September 2018, 07:23 PM   #113
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I believe Rockwell is dominating the market now.
That schtick was first done in the 50s for the Chrysler Torqueflite automatic transmission. I though maybe soembosy had dug it up. Autoparts would have been more appropriate.
Old 23rd September 2018, 07:30 PM   #114
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
That schtick was first done in the 50s for the Chrysler Torqueflite automatic transmission. I though maybe soembosy had dug it up. Autoparts would have been more appropriate.
You're thinking of the Turbo Encabulator
Old 25th September 2018, 12:29 PM   #115
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I had a friend who rebuilt his VW Bug carb and was left at the end with "extra parts." It still ran ok so he proposed that if he rebuilt his carb enough times he could turn it into two functioning carbs.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 12:35 PM   #116
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I had a friend who rebuilt his VW Bug carb and was left at the end with "extra parts." It still ran ok so he proposed that if he rebuilt his carb enough times he could turn it into two functioning carbs.
Technically, if he rebuilt his carb with a rebuild kit he would have "extra parts" at the end.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 01:58 PM   #117
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Technically, if he rebuilt his carb with a rebuild kit he would have "extra parts" at the end.
These were parts not in the rebuild kit. If I remember correctly small washers and small springs dominated.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 02:04 PM   #118
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
These were parts not in the rebuild kit. If I remember correctly small washers and small springs dominated.
I seem to recall that every little machine screw holding the top down had a washer on it, and those were often left out, and there was a little spring on the accelerator pump shaft to speed its return when it was opened up and let go, as well as a spring on the idle jet needle to keep it from going out of adjustment. You could likely get away with leaving them all out but a missing idle screw spring would cause problems down the road.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 02:14 PM   #119
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Nonsense! "Idle" is the enemy of the good!

The reveal:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4165/3...d8d34c57_z.jpg

I thought the little portion of the wood propeller might give it away. I guess not!

I can't really see in the photo but are the carbs bolted to the crankcase? So it's a <<SNEER>> two-stroke?! Ah, the dulcet sound of a opposed four two-stroke right behind your head.*

*I just noticed that the pipes aren't tuned so maybe not a two-stroke.

Last edited by Elagabalus; 25th September 2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 26th September 2018, 12:02 PM   #120
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

Rebuilding carbs wasn't terribly difficult. You just took it apart, cleaned anything that had crud or varnish on it, and put it back together, replacing the stuff that was in the rebuild kit (mostly gaskets, o-rings and the valve that the float shut off). There were a lot of small parts that you had to be careful not to lose or leave out when reassembling. If you had parts left over, you probably messed up somewhere.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology