ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th September 2018, 12:05 PM   #121
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Nonsense! "Idle" is the enemy of the good!

I can't really see in the photo but are the carbs bolted to the crankcase? So it's a <<SNEER>> two-stroke?! Ah, the dulcet sound of a opposed four two-stroke right behind your head.*

*I just noticed that the pipes aren't tuned so maybe not a two-stroke.
I don't know about that particular instance, but a lot of ultra-light aircraft use two strokes. They're dirty, loud, and not very efficient, but you can't beat them for power to weight ratio, which is pretty important for ultra-lights.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 01:45 PM   #122
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Rebuilding carbs wasn't terribly difficult. You just took it apart, cleaned anything that had crud or varnish on it, and put it back together, replacing the stuff that was in the rebuild kit (mostly gaskets, o-rings and the valve that the float shut off). There were a lot of small parts that you had to be careful not to lose or leave out when reassembling. If you had parts left over, you probably messed up somewhere.
That last bit depends on the kit. I recall many carb kits came with parts for more than one version - either variants of a common basic type, or small changes with age, and thus there were always a few gaskets and the like left over, that were meant for one of the other variants of a similar carburetor. The main thing was to make sure that all old parts that came out either went back in or were replaced.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 01:59 PM   #123
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I don't know about that particular instance, but a lot of ultra-light aircraft use two strokes. They're dirty, loud, and not very efficient, but you can't beat them for power to weight ratio, which is pretty important for ultra-lights.
They ain't got no soul.

Robbie Coltrane explains ...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Goto 0:35 to 2:44
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:58 PM   #124
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Sort of fun using the "carb selector" (scroll down).
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/carburetors/

Incidentally, I knew they bought out Demon, but it looks like they have something to do with Quickfuel now also.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology