ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th October 2018, 06:15 AM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Spacex Launch - spectacular light show.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-0...rvers/10354900

If he never achieves anything else he has done enough with this. Sunlight was catching the exhaust from the launch into the night sky.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I once saw a Titan launch from a beach in the LA area. It was spectacular, but not as much as that!
Old 9th October 2018, 01:08 PM   #3
smartcooky
Philosopher

First time they've landed a first stage at Vandenberg's LZ4. All previous west coast launches hand been landed on the drone ship.

As a regular watcher of launches, I noticed from the Stage One telemetry that landing on the West Coast appears to work differently from the East Coat - lower speeds and a longer time between the boostback and re re-entry burns.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I like to watch their launches live. I've missed about the last five in a row. This one sounds like it was especially good. Guess I'll go watch the replay.
Old 10th October 2018, 02:50 PM   #5
cjameshuff
Thinker

The timing of the launch worked out to provide a great display, with the sun cutting through Earth's atmosphere to reach the nearer portions with reddened sunset-light, while the upper portions were in unfiltered sunlight. That also gives some idea of the scale of the interacting exhaust plumes. And a wonderfully clear view of the first stage doing its water-strider imitation as it maneuvered for the trip back.

Some of the better photos I've seen of it:
https://500px.com/photo/277329115/sp...h-by-brian-won
https://500px.com/photo/277329113/pr...d-by-brian-won
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology