ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:02 AM   #2761
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Are the Stundies still running?

Can't you come up with something better than this? Come on, the lurkers want entertainment and variety.
FalseFlag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 10:07 AM   #2762
pgimeno
Illuminator

Dodge noted. Point proven.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:08 AM   #2763
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
Can't you come up with something better than this? Come on, the lurkers want entertainment and variety.
It was an appropriate response to what is quite frankly the weakest dodge I've seen around here in a LONG time. Just admit you're out of your league and move on?

OH. HELLLLL. NO!
Old 29th May 2016, 10:09 AM   #2764
Mentalpygmy
Student

The only purpose of the exercise is to deflect attention away from the fact that skeptics deny any and everything that goes against their fantasy.

It's pure nonsense to make any sort of claim that a person needs to do calculus busy work in order to understand physics.

Skeptics can only play their game when the most simple facts are obscured by unnecessarily complexity. That is what they are trying to do here. It's easy to see, and I'm not playing the game.
An observation from the lurker's gallery - it looks like you're arguing from ignorance and incredulity - which does not make from strong points. And that's what us Lurkers actually want. Good, valid arguments, not a variety of dodges.

As for complaining about calculus busy work - aren't you demanding busy work of other posters which adds little if any value? Actually learning calculus would appear to be of great value.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mentalpygmy; 29th May 2016 at 10:11 AM.
Mentalpygmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 11:46 AM   #2765
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Recap

The only purpose of the exercise is to deflect attention away from the fact that skeptics deny any and everything that goes against their fantasy.

It's pure nonsense to make any sort of claim that a person needs to do calculus busy work in order to understand physics.

Skeptics can only play their game when the most simple facts are obscured by unnecessarily complexity. That is what they are trying to do here. It's easy to see, and I'm not playing the game.
Hmm, I think a little re-cap is in order.

Once upon a time, tfk said:
Originally Posted by tfk View Post

ONE of us understands “middle school physics”.
FalseFlag responded:
No. We both do. The difference is that one of us isn't ignoring it.
This prompted tfk's epic post:
OK, here's a simple opportunity for you to prove it.
Use Eqn 1, above to generate:
the velocity vs. time equation
the acceleration vs. time equation
calculate the terminal velocity.

Show the graphs of the first two equations vs. time.

Show the data points from Fig. 12-77 on the empirical velocity graph & explain why they don't fall exactly on the velocity vs. time curve.

Saying that you understand physics is easy.
Now, show me.
I tried to make it easy for you, with this post.

But even that went south.

Here's a hint, FalseFlag:

To answer the questions posed by tfk and me, you would have had to understand that velocity is the time rate of change of position, and that acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity.

It's now obvious to everyone that you do NOT understand “middle school physics”.

Game over, dude.

DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 04:00 PM   #2766
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveThomasNMSR View Post
To answer the questions posed by tfk and me, you would have had to understand that velocity is the time rate of change of position, and that acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity.
This is funny, because I have said the same things numerous times earlier in this thread (and the first one). As usual, you choose to ignore what is obviously there just to further your weak arguments.
FalseFlag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 04:03 PM   #2767
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

This is funny, because I have said the same things numerous times earlier in this thread (and the first one). As usual, you choose to ignore what is obviously there just to further your weak arguments.
Show where you have said the same thing.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 04:54 PM   #2768
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Are the Stundies still running?

LOL, it's crystal clear he has no idea what the answer is, it's hilarious watching him try to dodge his way around it.

Science-1
FalseFlag- Yet another 0

Thread needs more popcorn.
Old 29th May 2016, 05:21 PM   #2769
tfk
Illuminator

Support a new investigation if you really want an answer.
No.

This country asked a couple hundred world class professionals to abandon what they were doing & come to its aid in one of its darkest hours.

Those (principally) engineers (plus other professions) answered the call, dedicated themselves to years of enormous effort & came up with an answer. That process was NOT easy.

They published their results, and ALL competent professionals accept their conclusions.

A few clueless amateurs don't accept them.
No competent professional cares what amateurs think.
None.
Not one.

You advocate tossing aside the efforts of the first group of engineers, because of the baseless, politically motivated, paranoid suspicions of a bunch of clueless amateurs, who have zero evidence for their stupid assertions.

The whole concept is beyond stupid, and incredibly disrespectful to the engineers who did the job.

Suppose that some Moron-In-Chief were stupid enough to follow this path. What happens the NEXT time the government asks for help from the US's technical resources?

They'll tell the government to take a hike. Why should they put out the effort, if it's going to be set aside, or second guessed by a bunch of clueless morons? (or 3rd guessed, or 4th guessed, until the morons get the answer that they want.)

So, no one who knows the slightest thing about managing people is going to support your suggestion.

The answer is "no".
tfk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 05:40 PM   #2770
tfk
Illuminator

Why won't you post your data?
Why won't you post your steps?
Because he, like me & the rest of us, want to see you attempt to fulfill your claim that "you know physics".

Actually, NOBODY expects that you have the slightest chance of fulfilling that claim.

We're waiting to see you fall on your face.

If you were so certain that you were correct, you would want to make sure as many people as possible could review your work and get the same results.
His answer is correct.
I did this same calculation, in a completely different manner, many years ago.

His graph is the same as mine.

Well, at least that is how it should work, but you're a skeptic, and obfuscation is what you thrive on.
LMAO.
Speaking of "obfuscation", do you REALLY think that anybody here buys your idiotic, lame excuses for running away from attempting to answer any of these questions?

PS. I (and probably every one here, with the possible exception of you, yankee & MicahJava) knows what Dave's "??" is.
Why don't you, Mister "I know physics"??

Here's a hint: 7.8*1012 fathoms/fortnight2

Last edited by tfk; 29th May 2016 at 05:42 PM.
tfk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 05:52 PM   #2771
tfk
Illuminator

Wrong again.

MY purpose of the exercise, the exercise that I started, is to demonstrate to YOU that you are either willfully lying or gravely deluded when you claim that "you know physics".

(There is no need to demonstrate your lying/delusions to the rest of us. We're all aware of the fact.)

"Gravely deluded" happens to be a pattern with you.

Meanwhile, where are those explosions that you asserted appeared in WTC7 in that WTC collapse video?

Just another claim that you've made (just like "I know physics") that you can not back up.
Old 29th May 2016, 06:57 PM   #2772
waypastvne
Critical Thinker

For those of us who prefer to work in furlongs/fortnight instead of fathoms/fortnight.

1 fathom = 0.009090909 ferlong
waypastvne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 07:12 PM   #2773
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Because he, like me & the rest of us, want to see you attempt to fulfill your claim that "you know physics".

Actually, NOBODY expects that you have the slightest chance of fulfilling that claim.

His answer is correct.

LMAO.
Speaking of "obfuscation", do you REALLY think that anybody here buys your idiotic, lame excuses for running away from attempting to answer any of these questions?

PS. I (and probably every one here, with the possible exception of you, yankee & MicahJava) knows what Dave's "??" is.

Pretty damn close.
I did a quick-and-dirty on it, looks pretty good, but quite frankly, I have a P-51D, a Spitfire Mk-II, and a Dirty Birdy that need my time and attention, and which will appreciate it a lot more than the obstinately ignorant do.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 09:35 PM   #2774
FalseFlag
Banned

MY purpose of the exercise, the exercise that I started, is to demonstrate to YOU that you are either willfully lying or gravely deluded when you claim that "you know physics".
And how would your example provide the proof you seek?
Old 29th May 2016, 10:14 PM   #2775
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

It's like this, FF. Suppose you had said you understood "middle school arithmetic".

And then, suppose that a member of the forum challenged you to prove it, by stating the value of 1/2 + 1/3.

Then, suppose your answer was not the obvious answer, 5/6, but rather your whining
Quote:

It's pure nonsense to make any sort of claim that a person needs to do arithmetic busy work in order to understand math.

Let me give you a clue.

This would really be a very poor method for demonstrating publicly that you understand "middle school arithmetic."

P.S. The ??s on my curve correspond to 7.3x1012 fathoms per fortnight2 AFAICT.

Last edited by DaveThomasNMSR; 29th May 2016 at 11:10 PM.
DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 06:53 AM   #2776
Myriad
Hyperthetical

It's like this, FF. Suppose you had said you understood "middle school arithmetic".

And then, suppose that a member of the forum challenged you to prove it, by stating the value of 1/2 + 1/3.

Then, suppose your answer was not the obvious answer, 5/6, but rather your whining...

Suppose I asked my dog to alphabetize my DVD collection. Then suppose my dog actually did it.

That would have been a less surprising outcome than if FF had managed to answer your question.
Old 30th May 2016, 07:02 AM   #2777
Steve001
Graduate Poster

The strategy and tactics of someone that does not have the knowledge is to reply with a question.

Last edited by Steve001; 30th May 2016 at 08:12 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 07:35 AM   #2778
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

How do you even know what a Stundie is?
Old 30th May 2016, 08:41 AM   #2779
Criteria
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Suppose I asked my dog to alphabetize my DVD collection. Then suppose my dog actually did it.

That would have been a less surprising outcome than if FalseFlag had managed to answer your question.
In effect, what you are really saying is that in your opinion FalseFlag has an IQ level well below that of your dog.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove Forum Management Feedback issue. I have copied your post to a new thread in FMF here for this to be discussed.

Last edited by Agatha; 30th May 2016 at 09:56 AM.
Criteria is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 09:12 AM   #2780
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

His answer is correct.

LMAO.

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Pretty damn close.
I did a quick-and-dirty on it, looks pretty good, but quite frankly, I have a P-51D, a Spitfire Mk-II, and a Dirty Birdy that need my time and attention, and which will appreciate it a lot more than the obstinately ignorant do.

Waiting for glue to cure, paint to dry
Used Mathcad, got this:

Ain't it amazing--people use 4 different methods, all get the same answer.
Science and Mathematics: They actually work. every time.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 11:32 AM   #2781
FalseFlag
Banned

Please explain why I need to answer your busy work questions to prove that I understand Newton's laws of motion.

You claim I'm dodging your question. This is wrong. I am intentionally refusing to answer because no one needs to answer your questions to be able to understand Newton's laws of motion.

Once again, a skeptic tries to over-complicate things. They do this to make the truth harder to see. They do this to chase away the average person who thinks that since they can't do the math, they don't understand physics. This is nonsense, and it's deceitful.

You don't need to understand math at all to have a basic understanding of Newton's laws of motion. Skeptics are going to go nuts over that fact, but it's true.
Old 30th May 2016, 12:13 PM   #2782
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Please explain why I need to answer your busy work questions to prove that I understand Newton's laws of motion.

You claim I'm dodging your question. This is wrong. I am intentionally refusing to answer because no one needs to answer your questions to be able to understand Newton's laws of motion.

Once again, a skeptic tries to over-complicate things. They do this to make the truth harder to see. They do this to chase away the average person who thinks that since they can't do the math, they don't understand physics. This is nonsense, and it's deceitful.

You don't need to understand math at all to have a basic understanding of Newton's laws of motion. Skeptics are going to go nuts over that fact, but it's true.
Here's some discussion to prove your physics worth on the subject. Please go here and see if you can meet the challenge. Free fall is not evidence for controlled demolition.

Hint: Having free fall acceleration does not mean something is freely falling.
Old 30th May 2016, 12:47 PM   #2783
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

How can you understand Newton at all? It is your claim that you are not an expert, thus your pseudo claims may be dismissed out of hand.
Old 30th May 2016, 01:08 PM   #2784
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Sorry, what? You don't need to understand maths at all to understand F=MA?

Bizarre.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 01:14 PM   #2785
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Bizarre.

Dave
F=MA is key to why freefall is not evidence for controlled demolition, also
Old 30th May 2016, 01:44 PM   #2786
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Stop equivocating physics with Newton's laws of motion.

ONE of us understands “middle school physics”.
No. We both do. The difference is that one of us isn't ignoring it.
FF, you've already demonstrated that you are incompetent at middle school physics.

Given the exact, precise position of an object, you have no clue as to its velocity and acceleration.

We get it.

You don't know physics.

Saying things like "You don't need to understand math at all to have a basic understanding of Newton's laws of motion" is just Gilding the Lily.

Old 30th May 2016, 02:35 PM   #2787
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Bizarre.

Dave
Bizarre and hilarious all at the same time, free of charge too!
Old 30th May 2016, 02:57 PM   #2788
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Hint: Having free fall acceleration does not mean something is freely falling.
Please, please explain the Cirque du Soleil-ish mental acrobatics necessary to support that claim.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:59 PM   #2789
FalseFlag
Banned

Stop equivocating physics with Newton's laws of motion.
OK. In other words, suspend all reality.

I guess that's my first lesson in skeptic physics. OK. Now provide lesson two, please.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:03 PM   #2790
FalseFlag
Banned

Bizarre.

Dave
A person would need to understand the definition of multiplication in order to understand Newton's second law. Please explain how you need to be able to multiply in order to understand a definition.

Last edited by FalseFlag; 30th May 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:04 PM   #2791
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

OK. In other words, suspend all reality.

I guess that's my first lesson in skeptic physics. OK. Now provide lesson two, please.
How is what he said your "in other words"?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 03:06 PM   #2792
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
How is what he said your "in other words"?
How would you describe what he said?
Old 30th May 2016, 03:15 PM   #2793
FalseFlag
Banned

This country asked a couple hundred world class professionals to abandon what they were doing & come to its aid in one of its darkest hours.
I never knew an hour lasted several years. Why did they wait so long? Was anyone against having any investigation at all? I wonder who those people were.

Quote:
They published their results, and ALL competent professionals accept their conclusions.
Are you sure about that? Did anyone have editorial control over their results?

Quote:
A few clueless amateurs don't accept them.
2500 people who are neither clueless nor amateurs also don't accept the results.

Quote:
The whole concept is beyond stupid, and incredibly disrespectful to the engineers who did the inside job.
FTFY
Old 30th May 2016, 03:26 PM   #2794
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

How would you describe what he said?
I didn't make the statement, you did.

Old 30th May 2016, 03:30 PM   #2795
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I didn't make the statement, you did.
And I stand by it.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:30 PM   #2796
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

FTFY
Good example of a beyond stupid and an incredibly disrespectful remark right there, tfk's point being made.

Well done.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:32 PM   #2797
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

And I stand by it.
That's what I figured. You can't support the statement. No surprise.

Old 30th May 2016, 03:47 PM   #2798
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
It does not surprise me that your reality includes dogs that can alphabetize DVD's.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:57 PM   #2799
Spanx
Master Poster

It does not surprise me that your reality includes dogs that can alphabetize DVD's.
You are missing your own party.
Spanx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 04:00 PM   #2800
FalseFlag
Banned

Originally Posted by Spanx View Post
You are missing your own party.
Do you mean the moderator thread?

I could care less. I have already said that we are adults. Insult me all you want. Moderators on a forum such as this are unnecessary.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories