ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia politics , Peter Slipper , politics scandals , Tony Abbott

Old 11th January 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Should the AFP investigate Abbott

Slippery Pete is now being investigated for defrauding the Commonwealth of $900 in cab charges in 2010.
Should Tony Abbott be investigated for possibly defrauding the Commonwealth of at least $6651 in 2009 whilst advertising his book Battlelines.
From The Independent.
Quote:
Tony Abbott released Battlelines in 2009. It was a book designed to set the tone for his leadership and outline his vision for Australia. From his Sydney seat of Warringah, Abbott flew to Canberra to discuss the book at the National Press Club on 28 July. While it can probably be argued that the Press Club visit was legitimate business – even if it was to discuss and sign copies of his book – how would he explain his trip to Melbourne on 3 August for a dinner event at a Dymocks bookstore? Abbott returned to Melbourne as well as visiting Brisbane and Perth to promote his book. In all, he charged $5,689.36 to the Commonwealth for business that seems personal not parliamentary. That was only the air fares. Including drivers to and from his book events, the taxpayer has put $6,651.96 towards the promotion of his book.
Any comments on this. Do you all feel it is necessary to investigate Abbott?

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Some serious questions need to be asked, most definitely, but I think the first step should be a Parliamentary Inquiry rather than an AFP investigation.

Or am I being a bit too literal in my understanding of the Separation of Powers?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 03:29 AM   #3
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Slippery Pete is now being investigated for defrauding the Commonwealth of $900 in cab charges in 2010.
Should Tony Abbott be investigated for possibly defrauding the Commonwealth of at least $6651 in 2009 whilst advertising his book Battlelines.
From The Independent.

Any comments on this. Do you all feel it is necessary to investigate Abbott?
Good for Goose - Good for Gander. I think The OZ needs to get ace cub reporter Hedley Thomas onto this story ASAP.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Krikkiter
Graduate Poster

My understanding is that Slipper's indiscretions regarding cab charges are of the type that are overlooked if the money is paid back. Slipper offered to pay it back, was refused the opportunity as he had already been refrred to the AFP. This, despite the fact that MP's often misuse cab charges then just pay back the money if asked.

Sources have revealed exclusively to Independent Australia that, in accordance with this Protocol, when the 2010 overpayment (a mere $900 or so) was discovered several months ago, Peter Slipper immediately offered to repay the excess.

But sources say Finance refused to allow him to do this. Instead, they said that — because the AFP was interested, they would not follow the protocol.

Why did they make such an exception in Slipper’s case?

Many politicians and their staffers claim too much for their cab fares. There is an example below involving Coalition MP Sophie Mirabella.

All those pollies repay — and they don’t get referred to the police.

http://www.independentaustralia.net/...ucify-slipper/
Old 20th January 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Good for Goose - Good for Gander. I think The OZ needs to get ace cub reporter Hedley Thomas onto this story ASAP.
Are there no left leaning journalists to take up the challenge.

There are many champing at the bit to get at Abbott and if this had some substance no doubt they would be hard at it.

As usual, the haters are out to concoct whatever they can and I suspect there is nothing in this story.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics