IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th May 2019, 11:52 AM   #321
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Agreed, lambaste the posers, too. Just stay on the happy side of law and morality whilst doing so. Posters here are actually trying to excuse criminal behavior, and recommend such criminality as mature. That's where we differ
You missed out the word "some", I've been clear that egging is assault no matter who the target is. What I find almost laughable is saying that egging a Nazi makes you worse than the Nazi! A minor assault makes you a worse person than someone who wants to kill millions of their fellow citizens? I really think some folk need to educate themselves about what Nazism is. I truthfully cannot think of an evil that has more evidence showing it is a terrible evil.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 11:54 AM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And their history and historical context were vastly different, as were their rise to power and the reasons for the support they ultimately generated. Posters here are enabling the very same rise to power by givi g them credibility. I say whip out the penis balloons. Different tact may have a different result, IMO
Read up on their rise to power. Much of that was allowed to happen because people didn't take them seriously, exactly as you are doing now.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 12:03 PM   #323
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You missed out the word "some", I've been clear that egging is assault no matter who the target is. What I find almost laughable is saying that egging a Nazi makes you worse than the Nazi! A minor assault makes you a worse person than someone who wants to kill millions of their fellow citizens? I really think some folk need to educate themselves about what Nazism is. I truthfully cannot think of an evil that has more evidence showing it is a terrible evil.
Again, agreed. There is nothing worse as a philosophy than Nazism. But genuine, desirous of killing Nazis are far more rare than the forum here seems to think. White supremacists who adorn swastikas do not a murderer make, or even a wannabe murderer.

Read up on their rise to power. Much of that was allowed to happen because people didn't take them seriously, exactly as you are doing now.
I tale Nazism deadly seriously. But, as I say, being a white power loser who wears a swastika does not a Nazi make. I make a distinction between a poser and the real deal
Old 4th May 2019, 12:09 PM   #324
applecorped
Banned

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 12:24 PM   #325
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Good example.
Old 4th May 2019, 12:46 PM   #326
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Or has not a damn thing happened, nor will it? Lets bite our fingernails together.
The rise of Nazi Germany establishes the probability of white nationalists achieving a controlling political power at 1. It is delusional to say this eventuality "can't happen" when it already has. And we have seen what it looks like when that happens, too. It is something that actively needs to be prevented from happening again. There's no excuse for ignoring a threat of that magnitude.

And there's also no excuse for pretending that at some point between 1945 and the present day, "something happened" that magically made a recurrence of this eventuality completely impossible so that we don't have to worry about it anymore. Being contented with blind faith that the collective happy thoughts of humanity or whatever other deus ex machina would somehow intervene before things got that far, is every bit as stupid as conservatives smugly refusing to consider climate change a threat because they just know that God would never let the world get messed up enough to ruin humanity's QOL and besides Jesus is coming to take us all a way in a few years anyway.

Facist, white nationalist parties are gaining positions of political control in Europe. It's already happening again, because people thought it couldn't and so never bothered to expend effort combatting its obvious resurgence. Those guys were always just kooks on street corners, "idiots wearing insignia". And the ones that weren't wearing insignia - well they obviously weren't "real Nazis" so who cares about them? Yeah, only now they're sitting in national assemblies, and the UK is leaving the EU because of their successful influence. "We need to be saved from the brown people" still resonates with enough white people that this threat will always exist.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 01:12 PM   #327
mgidm86
Philosopher

According to the law, yes it makes you the bad person because you will be the one going to jail for assaulting someone.

What about child molesters? If you know of one living in your neighborhood (easy to find out) what's to stop someone from applying the same logic? Is it okay to throw an egg at them? Why or why not?

After all, the rate of recidivism is quite high so we just know they're going to do it again! Even Nazis hate them! And you know they've actually committed a crime unlike a random white supremacist you've never met.

And if it's okay to egg someone, which we've already established can injure a person, why not just punch them? Same charge right? Assault? What's the difference?

Thermal, you are arguing with people who obviously can't think critically when it comes to this subject. It's a strange phenomenon we are seeing recently, both here and in the real world, and over a myriad of topics. If something can be tied to Trump the normal rules do not apply. They have taken it upon themselves to deem themselves "right" and there is no wiggle room there for you.
Old 4th May 2019, 01:18 PM   #328
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Good example.
How has applecorped's unseriousness allowed the Nazis to rise to power?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 01:27 PM   #329
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don’t understand how you have missed such an obvious point.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 01:59 PM   #330
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The rise of Nazi Germany establishes the probability of white nationalists achieving a controlling political power at 1. It is delusional to say this eventuality "can't happen" when it already has. And we have seen what it looks like when that happens, too. It is something that actively needs to be prevented from happening again. There's no excuse for ignoring a threat of that magnitude.

And there's also no excuse for pretending that at some point between 1945 and the present day, "something happened" that magically made a recurrence of this eventuality completely impossible so that we don't have to worry about it anymore. Being contented with blind faith that the collective happy thoughts of humanity or whatever other deus ex machina would somehow intervene before things got that far, is every bit as stupid as conservatives smugly refusing to consider climate change a threat because they just know that God would never let the world get messed up enough to ruin humanity's QOL and besides Jesus is coming to take us all a way in a few years anyway.

Facist, white nationalist parties are gaining positions of political control in Europe. It's already happening again, because people thought it couldn't and so never bothered to expend effort combatting its obvious resurgence. Those guys were always just kooks on street corners, "idiots wearing insignia". And the ones that weren't wearing insignia - well they obviously weren't "real Nazis" so who cares about them? Yeah, only now they're sitting in national assemblies, and the UK is leaving the EU because of their successful influence. "We need to be saved from the brown people" still resonates with enough white people that this threat will always exist.
Something did happen

It is called the internet and everyone being aware of pretty much every stupid thing that happens on a street corner like this case, and modern warfare.

"Facist, white nationalist parties are gaining positions of political control in Europe. "

Is this an excuse to biff something at this idiots head?, as I find it flimsy

Edit: And no one said completely impossible. This need to twist peoples points into something no one has said is a bit silly

Last edited by cullennz; 4th May 2019 at 02:01 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 02:22 PM   #331
Checkmite

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Something did happen

It is called the internet and everyone being aware of pretty much every stupid thing that happens on a street corner like this case, and modern warfare.
Yeah except a whole lot of those internet users who are now becoming "aware of pretty much every stupid thing that happens on a street corner like this case" are saying "finally, my people!"

"Facist, white nationalist parties are gaining positions of political control in Europe. "

Is this an excuse to biff something at this idiots head?, as I find it flimsy
No; it's a reason not to embarrass yourself with utterly ignorant and tone-deaf pronouncements like "Or has not a damn thing happened, nor will it?" one week after a mass shooting at a synagogue by someone "defending the white race", and less than two weeks after a massacre at a New Zealand mosque which a sitting Australian senator declared to be the victim's fault for being "Muslim fanatics" and moving to a country where they don't belong.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 02:23 PM   #332
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Thermal, you are arguing with people who obviously can't think critically when it comes to this subject. It's a strange phenomenon we are seeing recently, both here and in the real world, and over a myriad of topics.
Exactly. UK is clown country. They are so obsessed with "nazis" and other "right-wing" boogeymen they allowed Muslim gangs to rape thousands of girls while the police were knocking down citizens doors looking for "the next Hitler."

What could go wrong seeing a "nazi" in every corner? It's not like an innocent Asian man could be assaulted.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 02:32 PM   #333
cullennz
Banned

Yeah except a whole lot of those internet users who are now becoming "aware of pretty much every stupid thing that happens on a street corner like this case" are saying "finally, my people!"

No; it's a reason not to embarrass yourself with utterly ignorant and tone-deaf pronouncements like "Or has not a damn thing happened, nor will it?" one week after a mass shooting at a synagogue by someone "defending the white race", and less than two weeks after a massacre at a New Zealand mosque which a sitting Australian senator declared to be the victim's fault for being "Muslim fanatics" and moving to a country where they don't belong.
I find it slightly funny you think this idiot waving a flag on a street and a few politicians spouting hate speech is a sign that another Nazi holocaust and world war is imminent.

This stuff has happened for literally for ever.

I think getting a grip might be useful
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 02:38 PM   #334
Checkmite

I find it slightly funny you think this idiot waving a flag on a street and a few politicians spouting hate speech is a sign that another Nazi holocaust and world war is imminent.
"Imminent". Yeah that's what I said....wait, no it isn't.

When you wait until something is "imminent" to do anything about it, you're already too late. The idea is to not let things progress to a point where "another Nazi holocaust and world war" is "imminent".

Luckily for planning purposes, there does exist a point before something is "imminent", in which it is instead "foreseeable".

And before things reach the point of "foreseeable", there is an even more advantageous position for us to be in, in which the event is merely "plausible".

We're in "plausible" right now. It's plausible partly because right now there's people like you declaring that if they don't call themselves Nazis there's no need to do anything about them, and if they DO call themselves Nazi's there's still no need to do anything about them. Constant, positive action is required to keep the situation from progressing beyond this evidently innocuous stage where all they're doing is massacring synagogue and mosque congregations and winning isolated elections.

Last edited by Checkmite; 4th May 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 4th May 2019, 02:43 PM   #335
cullennz
Banned

"Imminent". Yeah that's what I said....wait, no it isn't.
I was just doing to you what you keep doing to show you what it is like

See the last sentence of my other post you quoted

I wanted to show you what it is like when you exaggerate peoples words

BTW

As to the Aussie politician Fraser Anning you mentioned

Let me explain something to you.

He got in because someone else left

Do you how many votes he got in the election?

Yes 19. Or 0.00% of votes.

This bit seems to be lost in the hysteria

The bloke is just what he is. A jerk who is a blip in history who wouldn't even make page 12 without saying something controversial. And he will be gone by next election
Old 4th May 2019, 02:46 PM   #336
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I don’t understand how you have missed such an obvious point.
Neither do I, but miss it I did. I'm still missing it. Could you please spell it out for me?
Old 4th May 2019, 02:52 PM   #337
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We're in "plausible" right now. It's plausible partly because right now there's people like you declaring that if they don't call themselves Nazis there's no need to do anything about them,
And there it is: "Nazis."

Last edited by theprestige; 4th May 2019 at 02:54 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 03:04 PM   #338
Checkmite

Let me explain something to you.

He got in because someone else left

Do you how many votes he got in the election?

Yes 19. Or 0.00% of votes.
Let me explain something to you, now.

It does not matter HOW he got there.

It does not matter if a Nazi "ran unopposed". How do you think that happened?

It does not matter if the Nazi merely replaced someone else. How do you think he ended up in that position where he was able to do that? Magic? He was the lucky 100th caller in the Replace the Leaving Senator phone contest?

It does not matter how it happened. What matters is that it happened, and now he's a bona fide Australian senator who is casting votes and influencing national-level legislation there. These people are not clowns of 70's and 80's hollywood movies, hilariously bumbling their way into elected offices purely by accident while a studio audience laughs. They get where they get because enough people say "pssht, like that's ever going to happen" without understanding that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited by Checkmite; 4th May 2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 4th May 2019, 03:12 PM   #339
cullennz
Banned

Let me explain something to you, now.

It does not matter HOW he got there.

It does not matter if a Nazi "ran unopposed". How do you think that happened?

It does not matter if the Nazi merely replaced someone else. How do you think he ended up in that position where he was able to do that? Magic? He was the lucky 100th caller in the Replace the Leaving Senator phone contest?

It does not matter how it happened. What matters is that it happened, and now he's a bona fide Australian senator who is casting votes and influencing national-level legislation there. These people are not clowns of 70's and 80's hollywood movies, hilariously bumbling their way into elected audiences purely by accident while a studio audience laughs. They get where they get because enough people say "pssht, like that's ever going to happen" without understanding that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
One vote out of 76 and he will be gone in.....................13 days

When he is turfed after the election
Old 4th May 2019, 03:15 PM   #340
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
According to the law, yes it makes you the bad person because you will be the one going to jail for assaulting someone.

What about child molesters? If you know of one living in your neighborhood (easy to find out) what's to stop someone from applying the same logic? Is it okay to throw an egg at them? Why or why not?

After all, the rate of recidivism is quite high so we just know they're going to do it again! Even Nazis hate them! And you know they've actually committed a crime unlike a random white supremacist you've never met.

And if it's okay to egg someone, which we've already established can injure a person, why not just punch them? Same charge right? Assault? What's the difference?

Thermal, you are arguing with people who obviously can't think critically when it comes to this subject. It's a strange phenomenon we are seeing recently, both here and in the real world, and over a myriad of topics. If something can be tied to Trump the normal rules do not apply. They have taken it upon themselves to deem themselves "right" and there is no wiggle room there for you.
I think you should read what I actually have posted about egging....
Old 4th May 2019, 03:15 PM   #341
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And another good example, you really are helping.
Old 4th May 2019, 03:18 PM   #342
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This stuff has happened for literally for ever.

I think getting a grip might be useful
As said above "... This need to twist peoples points into something no one has said is a bit silly..."

Last edited by Darat; 4th May 2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Formatting tags
Old 4th May 2019, 03:20 PM   #343
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And another good example, you really are helping.
You're accusing me of helping put Nazis into power. I expect you to support this accusation with clear evidence, or retract it.

What Nazis have I helped to put into power?
Old 4th May 2019, 03:26 PM   #344
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You're accusing me of helping put Nazis into power. I expect you to support this accusation with clear evidence, or retract it.

What Nazis have I helped to put into power?
You say one thing, then you ask a question not related to that. Isn't that a bait and switch?
Old 4th May 2019, 03:28 PM   #345
cullennz
Banned

As said above "... This need to twist peoples points into something no one has said is a bit silly..."
As I said in the other post

I was pointing out how irritating making stuff up is
Old 4th May 2019, 03:45 PM   #346
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You say one thing, then you ask a question not related to that. Isn't that a bait and switch?
Once again, a bold claim collapses under the expectation that it be made a clear claim.

Darat, are you accusing me of helping Nazis? Yes or no?
Old 4th May 2019, 03:57 PM   #347
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

In other news, Tommy Robinson supporters are now intimidated by McDonald's cups. I think that's pretty awesome.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 04:08 PM   #348
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Once again, a bold claim collapses under the expectation that it be made a clear claim.

Darat, are you accusing me of helping Nazis? Yes or no?
I've no idea if you help Nazis or not.
Old 4th May 2019, 04:18 PM   #349
Checkmite

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
In other news, Tommy Robinson supporters are now intimidated by McDonald's cups. I think that's pretty awesome.
That is epic, watching him talk like a bruiser while backing up from a kid with a cup.
Old 4th May 2019, 04:42 PM   #350
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Really epic and awesome. He was moving towards that kid, though, and aggressively. Threatened to punch his teeth out. Wouldn't that have been epic and awesome had he done so?

I mean, your innocence is touching, but...what the hell is wrong with you that seeing a kid get credibly threatened is epic and awesome?
Old 4th May 2019, 04:58 PM   #351
cullennz
Banned

The weird thing to me is people keep finding these stupid videos of nobody's yelling at each other and then the world argues about them.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
Old 4th May 2019, 05:10 PM   #352
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Neither do I, but miss it I did. I'm still missing it. Could you please spell it out for me?
No, because I respect your intelligence and my time.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 06:14 PM   #353
applecorped
Banned

If you're not assaulting someone then the Nazis win

Superman had his Kryptonite, Vampires have garlic, and Nazis have....... eggs.

Last edited by applecorped; 4th May 2019 at 06:16 PM.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 06:58 PM   #354
cullennz
Banned

I'm beginning to wonder why so many people are walking around while coincidentally carrying eggs.

Is it a US thing where everyone walks around with eggs in their pockets?

Just in case they see a wannabe Nazi?
Old 4th May 2019, 07:06 PM   #355
Checkmite

I mean, your innocence is touching, but...what the hell is wrong with you that seeing a kid get credibly threatened is epic and awesome?
Oh easy. See, Robinson is one of those white nationalists that doesn't directly call himself a Nazi in so many letters, so that people like theprestige will defend him as being unfairly labeled when other people use the word "nazi" while calling him out for his white nationalism. At any rate, he's currently campaigning for MEP (because remember, there's no sign these guys have any political aspirations, according to cullenz), and while campaigning of course he and his supporters try to put on this facade of being perfectly logical and reasonable, so as to make his white nationalist mantras sound like measured and intelligent discourse.

This particular guy is one of Robinson's supporters (you can deduce his intellectual depth by his I AM SOLDIER sign); but thanks to Robinson being milkshook twice this past week, his "soldiers" are so spooked that the mere sight of a young boy with a McDonald's cup in his hand instantly banishes the calm-and-reasonable act and brings out exactly what they are down inside - angry, vicious, the kind of people who at least profess that they wouldn't hesitate to preemptively knock a kid's teeth out for getting too close to their guy while carrying a beverage.

Last edited by Checkmite; 4th May 2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 4th May 2019, 07:09 PM   #356
cullennz
Banned

Oh easy. See, Robinson is one of those white nationalists that doesn't directly call himself a Nazi in so many letters, so that people like theprestige will defend him as being unfairly labeled when other people use the word "nazi" while calling him out for his white nationalism. At any rate, he's currently campaigning for MEP (because remember, there's no sign these guys have any political aspirations, according to cullenz), and while campaigning of course he and his supporters try to put on this facade of being perfectly logical and reasonable, so as to make his white nationalist mantras sound like measured and intelligent discourse.

This particular guy is one of Robinson's supporters (you can deduce his intellectual depth by his I AM SOLDIER sign); but thanks to Robinson being milkshook twice this past week, his "soldiers" are so spooked that the mere sight of a young boy with a McDonald's cup in his hand instantly banishes the calm-and-reasonable act and brings out exactly what they are down inside - angry, vicious, the kind of people who at least profess that they wouldn't hesitate to preemptively knock a kid's teeth out for getting too close to their guy while carrying a beverage.
I thought we had gone through the making stuff up other posters have said conversation.

Oh well

Why do you keep saying people should beat other people up holding flags within inches of death?

I find your calls for this atrocious
Old 4th May 2019, 07:12 PM   #357
Checkmite

I thought we had gone through the making stuff up other posters have said conversation.
Oh that's right. Thank you for the correction - I didn't invent the quote, but it was actually Thermal who said that, not you.
Old 4th May 2019, 07:13 PM   #358
cullennz
Banned

Oh that's right. Thank you for the correction - I didn't invent the quote, but it was actually Thermal who said that, not you.
No apology?

Great

Why do you insist people should beat up other people?
Old 4th May 2019, 07:17 PM   #359
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Apparently Nazis now have McDonald's cups.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 07:24 PM   #360
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I'm beginning to wonder why so many people are walking around while coincidentally carrying eggs.

Is it a US thing where everyone walks around with eggs in their pockets?

Just in case they see a wannabe Nazi?
Very narrow imagination being demonstrated here.

Some of these fine fellows who like to flaunt genocide and race hate paraphernalia may well frequent town squares and other public spaces or just spend an extended period on the day parading and spouting bile. Throw a downtown supermarket into the mix where the unprepared can pay a premium for their tools of Nazi humiliation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events