IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st May 2019, 11:40 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Another Nazi egged

This time in New York:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

In an extended video which can be found online, he tries to get his flag back (I can't tell whether he succeeds or not) and gets pelted with several more eggs in the meantime before finally running off.

Compared to punching Nazis which although funny to watch is difficult for me to condone, egging is a non-violent, non-injurious, and equally funny way for the public to express what they truly think of nazism and those who espouse it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 11:49 PM   #2
EHocking
Philosopher

Throwing eggs is so chicken ****.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:02 AM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

These are the guys we're supposed to be afraid have been emboldened by Trump's "racism"?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:14 AM   #4
Checkmite

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Throwing eggs is so chicken ****.
It beats just cold-cocking them.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:18 AM   #5
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
These are the guys we're supposed to be afraid have been emboldened by Trump's "racism"?
No. These are the guys we're supposed to just laugh and throw eggs at.

These are the guys we should be afraid have been emboldened by Trump's racism (no scare-quotes necessary).
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:34 AM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That Nazi is a just a shell of a man now

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:42 AM   #7
cullennz
Banned

Does anyone know what the flag is?

As just from that video I can't see any reference to what he is doing, let alone whether he is just a boring nationalist, uber nationalist, or stretching to Nazi.

It just looks red

Was it a swastika?
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:48 AM   #8
cullennz
Banned

Probably have completely the wrong end of the stick but weren't people asking why people weren't waving red flags for workers day May 1?

Just asking

Unless its old video
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:50 AM   #9
cullennz
Banned

Kind of looks like he is wearing traditional workers clothes to

Come to think of it
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:58 AM   #10
cullennz
Banned

Obviously a Nazi though given the video title so oh well

The gentle left will sort them........or their own

But then as I say.

Maybe I am wrong
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:02 AM   #11
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That Nazi is a just a shell of a man now
Yes, and it's no yolk.
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:04 AM   #12
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

As just from that video I can't see any reference to what he is doing, let alone whether he is just a boring nationalist, uber nationalist, or stretching to Nazi.

It just looks red

Was it a swastika?
I also can't ID the flag, but the medallion he is wearing around his neck is unmistakably a swastika. Unsure what particular flavor of white nationalism this is, but at a certain point it doesn't really matter.
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:14 AM   #13
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I also can't ID the flag, but the medallion he is wearing around his neck is unmistakably a swastika. Unsure what particular flavor of white nationalism this is, but at a certain point it doesn't really matter.
Didn't notice that

So a swastika neckless wearing idiot who bothers to May Day Workers rights flag wave dude standing on a street on May day.

It's the ultimate stew pot of trolling or weirdness

Personally tend to ignore weirdos, but thinking about it, a few eggs ain't going to end the world.

Personally think it seems rigged.
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:16 AM   #14
cullennz
Banned

Actually it obviously is

The camera doesn't move at all

It is on a tripod

Edit: Should have said same position moving round

Last edited by cullennz; 2nd May 2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2nd May 2019, 06:07 AM   #15
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So how does this work? Posters tsk tsk punching, but are fine with throwing eggs? Assault is assault, guys. Own your convictions. Unless you are a flaming hypocrite, you would support eggs being thrown by Nazis at you or your loved ones, yes?
Old 2nd May 2019, 06:33 AM   #16
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Yes, and it's no yolk.
Don't throw until you see the whites of his eyes.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 06:43 AM   #17
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
So how does this work? Posters tsk tsk punching, but are fine with throwing eggs? Assault is assault, guys. Own your convictions. Unless you are a flaming hypocrite, you would support eggs being thrown by Nazis at you or your loved ones, yes?
This pretty much sums up my feelings. Politics aside, all I saw was a man cowardly assaulted from behind who was then robbed of his personal belongings and was assaulted again when trying to receive them.

Could one of you supporters of such actions herein just confirm that your'e okay with this as long as his political stance differs from yours?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 2nd May 2019 at 07:05 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 06:57 AM   #18
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

My pleasure in seeing Nazis unhappy does not affect my opinion of the propriety of such an action. Schadenfreude should not be conflated to mean endorsement of violations of public order.

That being said, an egging is a fairly minor crime. I wouldn't be upset if police discretion decided that this isn't worth investigating considering the limited nature of police resources.
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:48 AM   #19
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Fascists infuse themselves with violence (and the perception of justified reciprocity), but are terrified of humiliation, as it ruins the "strong man" image. Eggs are the way to go.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:52 AM   #20
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Could one of you supporters of such actions herein just confirm that your'e okay with this as long as his political stance differs from yours?
Writing off fascism as a mere differing of opinions misses quite a lot. The promotion of nazism is advocacy of violence. We're not talking about disagreeing over tax policy, here.

Why should I care about an egg on his head when he wants to do significantly worse to millions of people?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:07 AM   #21
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This pretty much sums up my feelings. Politics aside, all I saw was a man cowardly assaulted from behind who was then robbed of his personal belongings and was assaulted again when trying to receive them.

Sure, I'll admit it as long as you admit that you're condoning someone literally ******* insulting other races merely because they "think" they're superior. Hate speech, while it may be protected, doesn't mean it's condoned.

This whiny ******** defense needs to stop.

Yes, I'm ok with people that are inherently racist getting egged. Maybe not physically assaulted, but this is pretty harmless. I noticed you and Thermal aren't ******* crying about the people that suffered emotionally from some ******* glorifying people that killed millions.

Get the **** out of here with that nonsense. It's weak as hell.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:07 AM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

It just looks red

Was it a swastika?
The flag does not have a swastika on it. It looks more like a two-headed eagle, but not the German version.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:21 AM   #23
ahhell
Philosopher

Probably still technically assault or battery or whatever, but better than cold cocking.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:28 AM   #24
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Sure, I'll admit it as long as you admit that you're condoning someone literally ******* insulting other races merely because they "think" they're superior. Hate speech, while it may be protected, doesn't mean it's condoned.

This whiny ******** defense needs to stop.

Yes, I'm ok with people that are inherently racist getting egged. Maybe not physically assaulted, but this is pretty harmless. I noticed you and Thermal aren't ******* crying about the people that suffered emotionally from some ******* glorifying people that killed millions.

Get the **** out of here with that nonsense. It's weak as hell.
You're way off the mark here. Like on the LWB threads, my issue here is the dishonesty and cowardice of the position that it's fine to assault the other guys, but you somehow think you are above the same treatment.

When antifa and white supremacists armor up and square off, I fully support that. I argued in favor of punching nazis for the same reasons you and IATS, posted above. The difference is that I acknowledge it is wrong and that I'm down in the gutter with them. What gets under my skin is this attitude that 'we can throw eggys my enemies, but my precious ass is exempt from such treatment.'

Cowardice and intellectual dishonesty, plain and simple. You want to join me in the gutter? Great, I'll buy you a drink. Liars uwelcome, though.

Last edited by Thermal; 2nd May 2019 at 08:29 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:35 AM   #25
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
My pleasure in seeing Nazis unhappy does not affect my opinion of the propriety of such an action. Schadenfreude should not be conflated to mean endorsement of violations of public order.

That being said, an egging is a fairly minor crime. I wouldn't be upset if police discretion decided that this isn't worth investigating considering the limited nature of police resources.
Would you feel the same being the target of it? Your parents or children? Would you feel safe knowing it would stop at eggs and not escalate? Just hang your head and take the egging, and whatever else might come, right? I mean, are you dictating where the line is? I thought we had an assault line already. Just willy-nilly you're going to slide it around, and trust your attackers will do the same? Think about it bro. We have lines for a really good reason.
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:46 AM   #26
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No. These are the guys we're supposed to just laugh and throw eggs at.

These are the guys we should be afraid have been emboldened by Trump's racism (no scare-quotes necessary).
Can you spell dehumanization? I knew ya could.

I see one guy who doesn't like Jews and one guy who is saying assault laws shouldn't apply to some people.

It's a nazi race.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:49 AM   #27
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Writing off fascism as a mere differing of opinions misses quite a lot. The promotion of nazism is advocacy of violence. We're not talking about disagreeing over tax policy, here.

Why should I care about an egg on his head when he wants to do significantly worse to millions of people?
Because he hasn't.

If wanting to do something is the same as doing it, I'm dating Vin diesel and Wednesday Adams.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:50 AM   #28
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The flag does not have a swastika on it. It looks more like a two-headed eagle, but not the German version.
I can't see the article atm, but I'm guessing it may be the empire eagle from 40k
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:10 AM   #29
angrysoba
Philosophile

This looks like a longer version of the video. I wish people would learn to use camera phones horizontally. That's how it looks on most screens, right? Even Game of Thrones did not troll us to that extent; they just made the screen too dark.

Anyway, my own take is that debating people like this is better than smacking people with eggs and getting into a fight. I think the person who starts doing that looks like the person losing the argument, and there is no reason to lose an argument to a Nazi. And yes, the guy has a bloody swastika on his tie, so he is a Nazi, in my opinion. Some people might argue that he was never in the National Socialist Party, as members here do when Ernst Rommel is brought up, but anyone with any sense can see the two are easily as much de facto Nazis.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:31 AM   #30
plague311
Great minds think...

You're way off the mark here. Like on the LWB threads, my issue here is the dishonesty and cowardice of the position that it's fine to assault the other guys, but you somehow think you are above the same treatment.

When antifa and white supremacists armor up and square off, I fully support that. I argued in favor of punching nazis for the same reasons you and IATS, posted above. The difference is that I acknowledge it is wrong and that I'm down in the gutter with them. What gets under my skin is this attitude that 'we can throw eggys my enemies, but my precious ass is exempt from such treatment.'

Cowardice and intellectual dishonesty, plain and simple. You want to join me in the gutter? Great, I'll buy you a drink. Liars uwelcome, though.
I've noted that I hold this position several times in the past and understand that it's not consistent, though I don't expect you should know that as my posting history is sporadic.

Let me be clear though, this isn't an "I apply this to my enemies" mindset. This is an "I apply this to Nazi's" mindset. I'm not going to run up and egg my wife because we disagree on if there should be butter in ******* Macaroni and Cheese. This person shouldn't be "my enemy", they should be everyone's enemy. The reason I apply this to Nazi's and not others is because their point is irrational, and debating them is ridiculous. It's been done ad nauseum with absolutely no gain. These people are ignorant.

Would you feel the same being the target of it?
I won't be the target of it because I'm not a racist douche. Red herring.

Your parents or children?
If my kids are Nazi's I fully condone them getting egged. If they just don't like Marvel movies, that's completely different.

Would you feel safe knowing it would stop at eggs and not escalate?
When it comes to Nazi's I believe it should escalate to the point that they understand their beliefs and opinions are not welcomed in public or among the populace.

Just hang your head and take the egging, and whatever else might come, right?
False dichotomy? They could try not being a racist piece of **** as well.

I mean, are you dictating where the line is?
Yes, Nazis are the line.

I thought we had an assault line already. Just willy-nilly you're going to slide it around, and trust your attackers will do the same? Think about it bro. We have lines for a really good reason.
Yup, and it appears that more and more often the line is moving to "it's ok to beat Nazi's". A line I fully condone.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:56 AM   #31
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

I argued in favor of punching nazis for the same reasons you and IATS, posted above.
To be absolutely clear, I'm anti-punching, but pro-egg.

My opposition to punching is purely on strategic grounds, not because I find it to be an immoral act against the nazi. That is to say, the nazi is not a "victim of political violence" in the way we normally think of it (like Heather Heyer was).

Being punched allows the nazi to paint himself as a victim. Getting egged paints the nazi as a doofus.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:00 AM   #32
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Because he hasn't.

If wanting to do something is the same as doing it, I'm dating Vin diesel and Wednesday Adams.
Treating it like it's benign until something irreversible happens is not a good strategy. There's historical evidence of this.

There's a reason why violent threats are taken seriously by law enforcement. When those threats are on a significantly larger scale, they should be taken significantly more seriously.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:05 AM   #33
fuelair
Banned

This time in New York:

I AGREE

In an extended video which can be found online, he tries to get his flag back (I can't tell whether he succeeds or not) and gets pelted with several more eggs in the meantime before finally running off.

Compared to punching Nazis which although funny to watch is difficult for me to condone, egging is a non-violent, non-injurious, and equally funny way for the public to express what they truly think of nazism and those who espouse it.
Rats!!! I thought they Big Green Egged him - smokin'!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:16 AM   #34
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
This looks like a longer version of the video. I wish people would learn to use camera phones horizontally. That's how it looks on most screens, right? Even Game of Thrones did not troll us to that extent; they just made the screen too dark.
I AGREE
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:36 AM   #35
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Another Nazi egged
I seem to have missed the first nazi getting egged.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:00 AM   #36
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Would you feel the same being the target of it? Your parents or children? Would you feel safe knowing it would stop at eggs and not escalate? Just hang your head and take the egging, and whatever else might come, right? I mean, are you dictating where the line is? I thought we had an assault line already. Just willy-nilly you're going to slide it around, and trust your attackers will do the same? Think about it bro. We have lines for a really good reason.
I would not be happy about being egged, but I would not expect a vigorous police response unless the egger happened to be within easy capture. That may be personally frustrating to me the victim, but I wouldn't be surprised if the police treated such a minor battery as worthy of police response.

I'm not suggesting that throwing an egg at someone isn't a crime, I'm suggesting that it is a crime that would be treated as low stakes by the authorities.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:34 AM   #37
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

I would love to know the success rate of various deradicalization methods for people deemed to have extremist views or behaviour.

Are dehumanizing methods like violence, assault, verbal abuse, harassment, deplatforming, evicting, job firings, vandalism, theft, removing any means of being self-sufficient, etc. proven to be effective?

Are humanizing methods like exposing them to people and concepts they fear, showing them compassion and kindness, attempting to understand why they personally developed those ideas or found refuge with extremist groups, etc. not shown to be as or more effective?

I've certainly come to understand that the latter methods were more effective from all the movies, documentaries, books, and such that I have come across. The former methods seem to lead people further down the path of extremism. I would just like to see if there are any scientific studies to support that notion.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 2nd May 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:40 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yet of course you are happy being the target of nazi threats and intimidation that is all good and no one could possibly have a problem with that. It is crazy to think that nazi's marching by a synagogue chanting anti Semitic slogans is in any way something anyone would legitimately be worried about.

Now a bit of egg on your face that is terrifying.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:43 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

To be absolutely clear, I'm anti-punching, but pro-egg.

My opposition to punching is purely on strategic grounds, not because I find it to be an immoral act against the nazi. That is to say, the nazi is not a "victim of political violence" in the way we normally think of it (like Heather Heyer was).
Nonsense that was a terrible but unintended accident just ask Ann Coulter, this is of course one of the worst acts of politically motivated violence in america in decades.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:46 AM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

There's a reason why violent threats are taken seriously by law enforcement. When those threats are on a significantly larger scale, they should be taken significantly more seriously.
Um they generally are not taken seriously though. It is far easier to see the police ignoring right wing threats against people and saying there is nothing they can do than it is to see them doing anything. I mean look at the threats against Ilhan Omar after Trumps stoking of the hate and hence threats against her.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events