IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th May 2019, 08:46 AM   #2321
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I think I can speak for "the left" when I say, nor do we. After all, we're not like "the right" who put children like your niece in ovens.

Unless your 5yo niece becomes the PM of Australia and starts pandering to bigots. Then the eggs might fly.
When you say “the right” who puts children into ovens, you’re talking about a funeral director who is following the wishes of the grieving parents who want their child to be cremated instead of buried, right?

You’re not expanding the definition of Nazi to include everybody to the right of Joe Biden, are you?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 09:04 AM   #2322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
You realize one can want something while understanding it is not right to do right? That is why actions are important, not thoughts.

For example.

I honestly feel the world would be better if every person who made a claim to supernatural abilities for profit was covertly rounded up, killed, and explained away.

Honestly, if this happened I think the world would be significantly better. If I woke up tomorrow and it had happened I'd be happy.

Now I also understand that while this would be awesome, it infringes on the rights of people too much to actually give the idea support. If there was a vote I'd have to vote against it. As I undresses my wants are contradictory to a free society.

So unless I start taking steps to do this other than talking, I've done nothing illegal. And that is the way it should be. As my wants have zero effect on reality unless I make them do so.
I feel sorry for you.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:07 AM   #2323
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Again, by definition they are not legitimate. I hate to tell you this, but that's not the same thing as being justified.

Goalposts, etc.

You made the rather emphatic blanket statement:
Quote:
Criminal acts are NOT legitimate forms of protest.

Not legitimate strongly implies not justified, not valid, not acceptable, that's the definition of "not legitimate". If you do consider civil disobedience -- which is also by definition a criminal act -- a valid form of protest, perhaps you should reconsider your wording to reflect that.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:09 AM   #2324
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I feel sorry for you.
Feel sorry? Surely you mean “want to throw an egg at him”?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:12 AM   #2325
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Goalposts, etc.

You made the rather emphatic blanket statement:

Not legitimate strongly implies not justified, not valid, not acceptable, that's the definition of "not legitimate".
I provided the definition a few posts back! It's pretty rich that you'd substitute your own definition for that, and then accuse me of moving goalposts because what I said doesn't match your made-up meanings.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:14 AM   #2326
sadhatter
Philosopher

I feel sorry for you.
But should I be a fair target for eggs, milkshakes etc.

I notice in these debates once an uncomfortable situation is brought up then the hand waving starts.

So let's go with a more mainstream view.

Plenty of people on all sides of the fence believe rapists and murders should be killed. Even a decent chunk of those that don't believe in corporal punishment " I don't believe in the death penalty, but if someone got him in a dark room Id but them a beer" is a line of logic I see plenty.

Do those people fit your definition of people who should have things thrown at them?

At some point you have to realize is just special pleading.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:18 AM   #2327
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
By any definition that had been given I fit the bill. And idlove for the mod to show some fortitude and conviction and say I should be exempt from assault laws (which they won't as it breaks forum rules on legality).

At least then I'd feel the person really has put some thought into the issue instead of throwing out on the fly rationalizations to justify wanting to exempt people from assault laws based on opinions.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:22 AM   #2328
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why would I want to assault him?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:33 AM   #2329
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
But should I be a fair target for eggs, milkshakes etc.

I notice in these debates once an uncomfortable situation is brought up then the hand waving starts.

So let's go with a more mainstream view.

Plenty of people on all sides of the fence believe rapists and murders should be killed. Even a decent chunk of those that don't believe in corporal punishment " I don't believe in the death penalty, but if someone got him in a dark room Id but them a beer" is a line of logic I see plenty.

Do those people fit your definition of people who should have things thrown at them?

At some point you have to realize is just special pleading.
What uncomfortable situation? Are you a Nazi? I very much doubt you are so why would my comments about Nazis and Nazism have anything to do with you?

And what is it with people thinking that they can apply criticisms of the structure of logical arguments to the premise of an argument?

My life is important is not an argument it is a premise that I then use in an argument.

E.g..I consider my life to be important therefore I do not want to be killed by Nazis.

ETA forgot to mention that I have repeatedly stated in this thread that no one should be egged (except in some certain circumstances). I have been absolutely 100% clear that egging is wrong, should be treated as common assault and it doesn't matter who the victims or perpetrators are it is wrong.

Last edited by Darat; 27th May 2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:35 AM   #2330
Belz...
Fiend God

What uncomfortable situation? Are you a Nazi?
Depends. The definition of the word seems very fluid.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 10:53 AM   #2331
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Do you really not know what Nazi ideology is? I'm seriously asking because I really can't conceive of someone not knowing what Nazism is but perhaps I am wrong in that?
Old 27th May 2019, 11:09 AM   #2332
luchog

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Fascist ideology is light on intellectual substance and heavy on optics. And those optics are about power and control etc. No wonder that the esthetic has lived on in subcultures that like a bit of domination in their sex lives.

Disrupting the theatrics of the Fascist aesthetic robs it of its power and appeal. So, I can see the justification.

That reminds me, I was recently watching an interesting video on Mel Brooks, specifically with regard to The Producers and satirizing/ridiculing of Hitler and the Nazis. Similar points were made, that fascism as an ideology is very simplistic, and doesn't really have much ground to stand on, intellectually. Looking at Mussolini, there was very little ideology of any sort there, and what was there was a sort of vague mish-mash taken from various disparate political movements. At it's core, fascism is about little more than the pursuit of power for its own sake.

Because of that, fascism depends very heavy on theatricality for its appeal. It needs a charismatic image and style. Hence Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, the Hugo Boss SS uniforms, and the other dramatic graphic and theatrical design used by the Nazi party. Everything they did was highly choreographed to project an image of strength, unity, and national identity. To clearly delineate the desirable from the undesirable.

That theatricality distracted from the fact that the ideology they pushed was one that was emotionalistic, simplistic to the point of being petty, almost childish, and had little intellectual foundation that could be built upon. It appealed to and enforced the mob mentality, groupthink. If you had asked the average German citizen in 1938 what the Nazi ideology was, I doubt very many of them could lay out the party principles much beyond "Make Germany Great Again". But they were entranced by the spectacle -- the massive rallies, the emotion-inducing symbols (the swastika was a very calculated choice as party emblem, because of its existing meaning in German iconography), the flowery rhetoric.

And of course it wasn't just the Nazis and PNF who understood this. In the US, you can see the same reliance on dramatic imagery from far-right groups like the KKK, with their white hooded uniforms, shields, and other symbolism (in a style that they copied wholesale from the Roman Catholics they opposed, specifically the capirote and tunic, which originated with the Spanish Inquisition).

We saw in Charlotteville just how powerful that theatricality can be even on small groups of people, even though each individual group there likely had different beliefs, different takes on the fascist ideology they were there to promote, they were unified by the symbolism and the theatrics in a way that the Left rarely is these days.

Once that theatricality is broken, it can be much more difficult to take the movement seriously. It loses much of its charisma and power to persuade. The rhetoric falls flat and appeals only to a few fringe extremists. It cannot survive on its intellectual merits, because it has none. Which is why people like Mel Brooks have made the theatrics a point of ridicule, to destroy the foundation of their power.

That's why I consider non-harmful direct action like egging or milkshaking or glitter-bombing to be valid responses to fascists promoting their violent ideology in public. Attempting to engage with such people intellectually is a losing battle, given that their rhetoric depends heavily on mass emotional appeal (which is difficult to counter intellectually even in the best of circumstances), and serves only to legitimize their profoundly irrational and murderous worldview. Goading them into responding to harmless threats with violent outbursts is also useful in defusing their rhetoric. They depend entirely on an image of heroic mien, a bearing of strength and respectability. Robbing them of that image, making them look foolish and petty and childishly violent, robs them of their power to persuade.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 11:09 AM   #2333
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Dehumanizing an enemy isn’t a “nazi” thing. It’s what every nation that has ever gone to war does. Every culture has some form of ‘thou shall not kill’ that must be overcome if the warrior class is going to be able to do its job.

So yet again, here’s an example of something that “Nazis” do (dehumanize an enemy) that is being offered up as a reason why they deserve to be egged. But everybody dehumanizes their enemy so they can kill them in war. So, either everybody deserves to be egged or dehumanizing an enemy isn’t a reason why “Nazis” deserve to be egged.

What is it that is unique about “Nazis” that makes them deserving of being egged?

1) There is no "warrior class" nowadays. In Fahrenheit 9/11, you can see from which class soldiers are actually recruited. Start at 1:27:00:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2) In order to make war, you have to convince soldiers that the enemy soldiers as well as citizens aren't proper humans, i.e. you have to give them a false reason to kill enemy soldiers who are actually their brothers in most respects: poor suckers like themselves who've been lured into the army for money or the lies of patriotism.

3) You appear to be so fond of this concept that you can't even distinguish it from what Nazis do, which is to identify with their nation to the extent where they imagine that the enemy isn't even in another country. The enemy is within! The elements of foreign, traitorous blood that runs in the veins of compatriots who don't deserve that (according to Nazis, extremely honorable) title.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 11:15 AM   #2334
Belz...
Fiend God

Do you really not know what Nazi ideology is? I'm seriously asking because I really can't conceive of someone not knowing what Nazism is but perhaps I am wrong in that?
I'm pretty sure I know what a Nazi is. My point is that more than one poster here have been very, ahem, flexible about the definition.

Old 27th May 2019, 11:16 AM   #2335
Giz
Philosopher

That's why I consider non-harmful direct action like egging or milkshaking or glitter-bombing to be valid responses to fascists promoting their violent ideology in public. Attempting to engage with such people intellectually is a losing battle, given that their rhetoric depends heavily on mass emotional appeal (which is difficult to counter intellectually even in the best of circumstances), and serves only to legitimize their profoundly irrational and murderous worldview. Goading them into responding to harmless threats with violent outbursts is also useful in defusing their rhetoric. They depend entirely on an image of heroic mien, a bearing of strength and respectability. Robbing them of that image, making them look foolish and petty and childishly violent, robs them of their power to persuade.
Jesus, you have such little faith in democracy, in your fellow citizens, in the power and value of free debate. I feel sorry for you.

You would rather turn to violence to ensure your own view dominates. How very fascist of you.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 11:29 AM   #2336
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Attempting to engage with such people intellectually is a losing battle, ....

No, it's not: How a Rising Star of White Nationalism Broke Free from the Movement (NPR, Sep. 24, 2018)

If you have an opportunity "to engage with such people intellectually", you should use it. It's only doomed to be a losing battle if you don't know what you're talking about. But you should be able to tell them what national socialism/white supremacy is actually about, and this is where you make the fundamental mistake of falling for the theatrics. There is a Nazi/Fascist ideology: extreme nationalism. The fascist movements may differ in certain points: Who's the enemy?, for instance. The Italian fascists weren't particularly anti-Semitic. The German Nazis in the 1930s didn't have problems with Muslims. White Supremacists nowadays usually do.
In other words, if you aren't able to tell a nazi what's wrong with racism, you will definitely lose the battle before it's even begun.
What is racism?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 11:42 AM   #2337
luchog

Jesus, you have such little faith in democracy, in your fellow citizens, in the power and value of free debate. I feel sorry for you.

You would rather turn to violence to ensure your own view dominates. How very fascist of you.

That's hilarious.

Miss the entire 2016 election, did you?
Old 27th May 2019, 11:49 AM   #2338
Giz
Philosopher

That's hilarious.

Miss the entire 2016 election, did you?
Only a juvenile illiterate could think the election of trump represents the victory of fascism.

I’m sure you don’t really believe that. You just find the idea of righteous violence appealing.
Old 27th May 2019, 02:51 PM   #2339
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

That reminds me, I was recently watching an interesting video on Mel Brooks, specifically with regard to The Producers and satirizing/ridiculing of Hitler and the Nazis. Similar points were made, that fascism as an ideology is very simplistic, and doesn't really have much ground to stand on, intellectually. Looking at Mussolini, there was very little ideology of any sort there, and what was there was a sort of vague mish-mash taken from various disparate political movements. At it's core, fascism is about little more than the pursuit of power for its own sake.

Because of that, fascism depends very heavy on theatricality for its appeal. It needs a charismatic image and style. Hence Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, the Hugo Boss SS uniforms, and the other dramatic graphic and theatrical design used by the Nazi party. Everything they did was highly choreographed to project an image of strength, unity, and national identity. To clearly delineate the desirable from the undesirable.

That theatricality distracted from the fact that the ideology they pushed was one that was emotionalistic, simplistic to the point of being petty, almost childish, and had little intellectual foundation that could be built upon. It appealed to and enforced the mob mentality, groupthink. If you had asked the average German citizen in 1938 what the Nazi ideology was, I doubt very many of them could lay out the party principles much beyond "Make Germany Great Again". But they were entranced by the spectacle -- the massive rallies, the emotion-inducing symbols (the swastika was a very calculated choice as party emblem, because of its existing meaning in German iconography), the flowery rhetoric.

And of course it wasn't just the Nazis and PNF who understood this. In the US, you can see the same reliance on dramatic imagery from far-right groups like the KKK, with their white hooded uniforms, shields, and other symbolism (in a style that they copied wholesale from the Roman Catholics they opposed, specifically the capirote and tunic, which originated with the Spanish Inquisition).

We saw in Charlotteville just how powerful that theatricality can be even on small groups of people, even though each individual group there likely had different beliefs, different takes on the fascist ideology they were there to promote, they were unified by the symbolism and the theatrics in a way that the Left rarely is these days.

Once that theatricality is broken, it can be much more difficult to take the movement seriously. It loses much of its charisma and power to persuade. The rhetoric falls flat and appeals only to a few fringe extremists. It cannot survive on its intellectual merits, because it has none. Which is why people like Mel Brooks have made the theatrics a point of ridicule, to destroy the foundation of their power.

A couple of years ago I wondered 'what is Fascism?' I started doing some research online and quickly found that the subject is extremely slippery.
After a while, you notice that you're asking the wrong question. The question is not 'but what chemical properties make Snake Oil an amazing cure-all medicine?' but 'why is that dude trying to make me believe this stuff is a cure-all medicine?'
Fascism is like tobacco marketing. A massive media effort involving the nation's best and brightest artists. The blinding message is about lifestyle, about individuality, about you being you, about friendship and adventure.
But pull back the curtain and it is just a distraction to sell you an addictive foul-tasting product that gives you cancer, makes you impotent and turns your curtains yellow.

Off course, adherence to the aspirational look has slipped somewhat since the golden years.

A lot, actually.
Old 27th May 2019, 02:56 PM   #2340
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

The definition of "Nazi" is fluid enough. When we include all the people who don't fit the precise ephemeral ambiguous definition of Nazi but share the attributes of Nazis that make them deserving of being egged and milkshaked, the word ceases to have any meaning.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 03:42 PM   #2341
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
1) There is no "warrior class" nowadays. In Fahrenheit 9/11, you can see from which class soldiers are actually recruited. Start at 1:27:00:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2) In order to make war, you have to convince soldiers that the enemy soldiers as well as citizens aren't proper humans, i.e. you have to give them a false reason to kill enemy soldiers who are actually their brothers in most respects: poor suckers like themselves who've been lured into the army for money or the lies of patriotism.

3) You appear to be so fond of this concept that you can't even distinguish it from what Nazis do, which is to identify with their nation to the extent where they imagine that the enemy isn't even in another country. The enemy is within! The elements of foreign, traitorous blood that runs in the veins of compatriots who don't deserve that (according to Nazis, extremely honorable) title.
Like I said, everybody dehumanizes their enemies. In this regard there is no distinction between what the Nazis do and what every other people that has gone to war does. As far as dehumanizing an internal enemy: that was a prerequisite to the Armenian genocide. That happened before the Rwandan genocide. Americans did it to the Cherokee nation in the 19th century and the Japanese in the 20th. It's happening today to the Tibetans in China and the Arabs in Israel. This is not a distinguishing feature of Nazism either.
Old 27th May 2019, 04:44 PM   #2342
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Like I said, everybody dehumanizes their enemies.
More basic than that: humans tend to dismiss those who disagree with them. We've seen plenty of that in this thread. The dehumanisation comes with escalation.

Old 27th May 2019, 04:53 PM   #2343
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

They depend entirely on an image of heroic mien, a bearing of strength and respectability. Robbing them of that image, making them look foolish and petty and childishly violent, robs them of their power to persuade.
Egging people is foolish and petty and childishly violent.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2019, 12:13 AM   #2344
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I was checking because sometimes the line of who should get banned/punched seems to drift quite a ways
When did that happen?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2019, 12:26 AM   #2345
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of years ago I wondered 'what is Fascism?' I started doing some research online and quickly found that the subject is extremely slippery.
After a while, you notice that you're asking the wrong question. The question is not 'but what chemical properties make Snake Oil an amazing cure-all medicine?' but 'why is that dude trying to make me believe this stuff is a cure-all medicine?'
Fascism is like tobacco marketing. A massive media effort involving the nation's best and brightest artists. The blinding message is about lifestyle, about individuality, about you being you, about friendship and adventure.
But pull back the curtain and it is just a distraction to sell you an addictive foul-tasting product that gives you cancer, makes you impotent and turns your curtains yellow.

Off course, adherence to the aspirational look has slipped somewhat since the golden years.

A lot, actually.
You're saying the same things as luchdog using other words.

The point is, physical humiliation works against fascists. They rely on optics. Ruin their optics. Eggs work.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2019, 02:13 AM   #2346
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Egging people is foolish and petty and childishly violent.
True, but at least it has the upside of preventing Nazi takeovers.

Old 28th May 2019, 02:16 AM   #2347
cullennz
Banned

The point is, physical humiliation works against fascists. They rely on optics. Ruin their optics. Eggs work.
Really?

Is that why there are so few nutters running around both right and left?
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2019, 04:17 AM   #2348
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Really?

Is that why there are so few nutters running around both right and left?
???

Old 28th May 2019, 04:39 AM   #2349
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Actual Nazis? Egg away!

Conservatives? Brexiteers? People who run on platform of limiting mass immigration? Not so much.

We live in pluralistic societies and these include those on the right.

Nigel Farage isn't a Nazi. And judging by the exit-polls, getting milkshake on his Tweed jacked didn't do squat but get him media attention.
Old 28th May 2019, 04:40 AM   #2350
Belz...
Fiend God

Does it work against liberals as well?

Old 28th May 2019, 04:52 AM   #2351
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Actual Nazis? Egg away!

Conservatives? Brexiteers? People who run on platform of limiting mass immigration? Not so much.

We live in pluralistic societies and these include those on the right.

Nigel Farage isn't a Nazi. And judging by the exit-polls, getting milkshake on his Tweed jacked didn't do squat but get him media attention.
I agree. Farage isn't a Nazi. He's a populist right winger who is doing his part in dividing people, playing on racist tropes and generally driving people towards the extreme right. But, he's not a Nazi.

That's why he got the milkshake. Eggs for Nazis, milkshake for their fellow travellers.

Old 28th May 2019, 05:28 AM   #2352
Giz
Philosopher

I agree. Farage isn't a Nazi. He's a populist right winger who is doing his part in dividing people, playing on racist tropes and generally driving people towards the extreme right. But, he's not a Nazi.

That's why he got the milkshake. Eggs for Nazis, milkshake for their fellow travellers.
Wow.

Straight up admission of hating plurality and being ready to use violence to fight diversity. The fascist mindset.
Old 28th May 2019, 05:29 AM   #2353
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Wow.

Straight up admission of hating plurality and being ready to use violence to fight diversity. The fascist mindset.
No, that's not what it says. Seems you have trouble reading.

Old 28th May 2019, 05:31 AM   #2354
Belz...
Fiend God

What should we throw at regular conservatives?

Old 28th May 2019, 05:34 AM   #2355
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Doesn't that mean that left-wing populists are fellow travellers of Stalinism and should have food thrown at them?
Old 28th May 2019, 05:59 AM   #2356
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't that mean that left-wing populists are fellow travellers of Stalinism and should have food thrown at them?
No, I don't think it does. Because reality doesn't operate that way. Not everything is a perfect balance between two sides. Sometimes there are more than two sides, and sometimes - get this - one side is just wrong.

ETA: Then again, what the hell do I know? Throw food at whomever you want. I think in most cases whomever you hit will whine less than the Nazis and their ilk so many people feel oh so sorry for.

Last edited by uke2se; 28th May 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 28th May 2019, 06:04 AM   #2357
Belz...
Fiend God

No, I don't think it does. Because reality doesn't operate that way. Not everything is a perfect balance between two sides. Sometimes there are more than two sides, and sometimes - get this - one side is just wrong.
Translation: "My side is right, yours is wrong."

No, actually, communists were wrong, too. And their acts speak for themselves.

What you and others are proposing is to assault people who are opposed to your political views. Full stop.

Old 28th May 2019, 06:14 AM   #2358
Giz
Philosopher

Translation: "My side is right, yours is wrong."

No, actually, communists were wrong, too. And their acts speak for themselves.

What you and others are proposing is to assault people who are opposed to your political views. Full stop.
“Nazis”
Old 28th May 2019, 06:15 AM   #2359
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

“Nazis”
Yes, this thread is about Nazis. Nazis aren't to the right what communists are to the left. Whomever told you so wasn't very educated. It's another example of centrist's need for everything to be perfectly balanced. In other words, "bothsidesism".

Old 28th May 2019, 06:16 AM   #2360
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes, this thread is about Nazis.
Woosh!

Quote:
Nazis aren't to the right what communists are to the left.
And yet you and others keep expanding what the term means or who deserves to be assaulted.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events