IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th June 2019, 11:01 PM   #3241
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What fascism in remission looks like
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 11:15 PM   #3242
dann
Penultimate Amazing

And since it was against a conservative, they may actually take notice this time: Mord an CDU-Politiker Lübcke (Focus, June 18, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 06:51 AM   #3243
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Yes, they are. Rational Wiki sums them up pretty well.
It doesn't come as a surprise to me that Belz is a fan.

Yeah, Lapine is one of those "edgelord" types who inhabits a really weird world that vacillates between the center-left and hard-right, depending on the topic. The fact that she's a vocal anti-feminist aligned with some of the less obnoxious MRA groups is what makes her popular with a certain segment of the white male audience. Her casual forays into racism apologetics and defenses of Donald Trump's BS hasn't hurt her standing with that crowd either.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 05:20 PM   #3244
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not quite. sadhatter aske specifically how he would react to being egged for his views:

Being egged for his views was the "such assaults" Darat was responding to.

Subsequently we discovered that it was not the "such assaults" he was basing his response on.

This variance between the type of assault that sadhatter was asking about, and the type of assault that Darat answered about, is the lie.
Right, but it turns out that "blowing kisses" was in response to being spat on during a march, which seems to me to fall under "such assaults" as being egged. Being spat on during a political march and "being egged for his views" are similar enough that I think referring to the former as similar to the latter is valid.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 05:26 PM   #3245
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I think the types of attacks that Darat was referring to are these:

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Also in all the protests, marches and so on I went on in my more youthful years I saw people have dog crap thrown at them, spat on, stones and other dangerous projectiles thrown at them, be shoved violently and so on. Never once did any of us react with a tit-for-tat violence and try to excuse it as " but they started it". If it is true a Nazi will respond with a higher degree of violence I would say it tells us a lot about that Nazi.
Darat personally has only referred to being spat on, but that falls under the same category in my eyes. I think that if the context is egging "such attacks" is applicable.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 01:51 AM   #3246
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Right, but it turns out that "blowing kisses" was in response to being spat on during a march, which seems to me to fall under "such assaults" as being egged.
One would have hoped that Darat would be less coy and more clear about this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 02:04 AM   #3247
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
One would have hoped that Darat would be less coy and more clear about this.
Agreed.
Isaac Asimov
Old 20th June 2019, 03:28 AM   #3248
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Agreed.
Personally I think I've been very clear from the beginning. But thanks for the feedback, always room for improvement.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 06:08 AM   #3249
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Personally I think I've been very clear from the beginning. But thanks for the feedback, always room for improvement.
I'd rather not get involved in judging one way or the other. I can only say that I originally read your posts that same way that theprestige read them.

Happily you corrected that misunderstanding and when I looked back your correction was in fact consistent with what you originally posted, so I see that the error was mine.
Isaac Asimov

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events