ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th June 2019, 04:24 AM   #161
sackett
Philosopher

Just any old science either!

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
According to science!
Rassenwissenschaft!

Baylor can give you some links.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:34 AM   #162
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
If she's a teacher in the US she and her spouse'll likely have excellent health care and coverage. Much better than UK.
Your knowledge of what sort of insurance a teacher is offered in the US is, if anything, less than your understanding of the links you post to support your racist screeds.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:43 AM   #163
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Your knowledge of what sort of insurance a teacher is offered in the US is, if anything, less than your understanding of the links you post to support your racist screeds.
This is not the least bit witty.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #164
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Rassenwissenschaft!

Baylor can give you some links.
I've said several times I have stopped giving links due to ISF's inability to comprehend them (likely due to the advanced age of this forum) and their obsession with saying there's a "Gotcha!" when there is none (every time. Seriously. Every single time.) You can Google it, I think the paper is called Diversity and Conflict authored by the scientists featured on Through the Wormhole. It's well-known research by well known authors. Not well enough for "science loving skeptics" apparently.

Last edited by Baylor; 11th June 2019 at 04:55 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:07 AM   #165
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I believe the number is >90%.
Only 60% of Americans are employed and only half of these jobs have insurance coverage. Medicare (single player government run insurance program) covers many more. Anyone else needs to go the to the expensive and inefficient private market if they want coverage.
To those who are in Canada (where we have single-payer health care), will the government sign off on everything they need?
In Canada procedures are not approved/rejected on an individual basis. If a procedure is covered, and federal law requires that all medically necessary procedures be covered, itís entirely up to the doctor and patient whether itís required or not.

If I earned enough to pay for my own insurance, or could be covered under Obamacare, they yes, I would still be better off in the U.S.
Medical outcomes in Canada match or slightly exceed those of the US. If you are rich enough to have essentially unlimited healthcare spending maybe you would be better off, but if you have that much money there is nothing stopping you from going to the US for healthcare right now. Since you donít put yourself in this group most likely youíd be paying 2-3X as much for similar quality of care.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:03 AM   #166
lomiller
Philosopher

Back to Venezuela and how countries end up in that type of currency mess. Again it’s almost always because politicians playing with the money supply as a way to help their popularity.

What’s going on in the US:
Before the 2016 election Trump pressures the Fed to increase interest rates to create an artificial economic downturn which he feels will help his election chances.

Now, he’s pressuring the Fed to lower interest rates to create an artificial economic boost to help his chances in the upcoming election.

This type of interfering with the money supply is economic death for a nation. It what undermined faith in currency in Venezuela, and if allowed to happen would have the same effect in the US. Fortunately the Fed has largely ignored Trump so far, but he’s been using appointments to undermine their decision making ability. Mismanaging the Fed like this is something that will kill the US economy.

If you want something that could really cause the US to end up like Venezuela this is it.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:07 AM   #167
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Not according to science.

https://i.imgur.com/Rg7jKnK.png
Can we get a link?
Old 11th June 2019, 08:12 AM   #168
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

You can Google it, I think the paper is called Diversity and Conflict authored by the scientists featured on Through the Wormhole. It's well-known research by well known authors. Not well enough for "science loving skeptics" apparently.
Where the heck did you get the image of the paragraph from if you're not even sure of the name of the paper?
Old 11th June 2019, 08:22 AM   #169
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Can we get a link?
Itís science! You donít cite evidence in science! Thatís crazy talk.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:37 AM   #170
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Where the heck did you get the image of the paragraph from if you're not even sure of the name of the paper?
Passing it on from a reliable source like Infowars.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:01 AM   #171
wareyin
Philosopher

Can we get a link?
Baylor doesn't do links anymore, after he was told for about the thousandth time that he didn't understand what his link said and so the link didn't say what he claimed it did/support his claim.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 09:02 AM   #172
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Lets hope you get cancer then because any other disease doesnt look so rosy.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...on-1980-2015-3
Old 11th June 2019, 09:03 AM   #173
rdwight
Critical Thinker

I mean, I am all for supporting your own sources but the name in google took me about 2 seconds to find the paper. 4 replies asking for it seems likes overkill. Haven't read or plan to, just moving the conversation forward.

Diversity and Conflict
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 09:06 AM   #174
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

If she's a teacher in the US she and her spouse'll likely have excellent health care and coverage. Much better than UK.
Actual teachers seem to disagree with you.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ike-healthcare

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1560269678545
Old 11th June 2019, 09:08 AM   #175
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think we can probably add a lack of understanding that the role that luck plays.

"I work hared and am therefore successful and have money, therefore, if you are not successful and do not have money, you did not work hard"

It's a bobbins attitude that's gone a long way from turning Capitalism from being one of the greatest tools man has ever created into a religion.
Not only that but the people who are opposed to these systems are often the people who would benefit most from them but seem to be weirdly convinced that either they wouldn't or that somehow they don't deserve them or that perhaps most sinister of all they will somehow get rich enough one day that they would be on the other side of the equation.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:15 AM   #176
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
I mean, I am all for supporting your own sources but the name in google took me about 2 seconds to find the paper. 4 replies asking for it seems likes overkill. Haven't read or plan to, just moving the conversation forward.

Diversity and Conflict
I only see one request for the cite, but I do have an ignore list. Perhaps you are confused by those pointing out that Baylor doesn't do links?
Old 11th June 2019, 09:18 AM   #177
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post

Diversity and Conflict
Which was somehow posted as a response to race having an effect on the functioning of a welfare state.

Want to guess how many times either the phrase 'welfare state' or indeed the word 'welfare' appears in that paper?

And that's before we start on how a working paper on economics is considered 'science'

But hey ho.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:59 AM   #178
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Not in most school districts in Illinois they won't
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 11th June 2019 at 10:00 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:23 PM   #179
Baylor
Suspended

Baylor doesn't do links anymore, after he was told for about the thousandth time that he didn't understand what his link said and so the link didn't say what he claimed it did/support his claim.
This is why I don't give links. No one here can understand what I've just told him.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:25 PM   #180
Baylor
Suspended

I only see one request for the cite, but I do have an ignore list. Perhaps you are confused by those pointing out that Baylor doesn't do links?
Notice how I had multiple request for links after I said I don't provide links.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:29 PM   #181
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
This is why I'm done with links. People just Google things and skim headlines in a desperate attempt to "gotcha." The guy in your story was mistakenly put in an out-of-network hospital. You either didn't read the links or you don't understand them. Not sure which, don't care either.

Last edited by Baylor; 11th June 2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:39 PM   #182
Baylor
Suspended

Which was somehow posted as a response to race having an effect on the functioning of a welfare state.

Want to guess how many times either the phrase 'welfare state' or indeed the word 'welfare' appears in that paper?
Multi-racial societies are not conducive to welfare states and the excellent research I cited proved that.

I am highly aware you have been conditioned by your masters to say "race has nothing to do with it." But the fact is welfare states break down in multi-racial societies. Can anyone on this forum get over their conditioning for two seconds and have a conversation like adult?
Old 11th June 2019, 06:42 PM   #183
Baylor
Suspended

Not only that but the people who are opposed to these systems are often the people who would benefit most from them but seem to be weirdly convinced that either they wouldn't or that somehow they don't deserve them or that perhaps most sinister of all they will somehow get rich enough one day that they would be on the other side of the equation.
You seem weirdly convinced you understand how welfare programs work in other countries when you obviously don't.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:52 PM   #184
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

And that's before we start on how a working paper on economics is considered 'science'

But hey ho.
I managed to plow through that paper. As expected, it doesn't say what Baylor thinks it says. Essentially, it supports the hypothesis that invading cultures causes conflicts with native populations, particularly Western invasions of New World cultures. Well, duh!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:58 PM   #185
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I managed to plow through that paper. As expected, it doesn't say what Baylor thinks it says. Essentially, it supports the hypothesis that invading cultures causes conflicts with native populations, particularly Western invasions of New World cultures. Well, duh!
I managed to plow through that paper. As expected, it doesn't say what Norman Alexander thinks it says. Essentially, it supports the hypothesis that too much or too little diversity adversely effects a population. The benefit of diversity has a hunch shape effect and too much diversity will lead to cultural fragmentation and disputes over resources and other public goods and services. Well, duh!
Old 11th June 2019, 06:58 PM   #186
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I am highly aware you have been conditioned by your masters to say "race has nothing to do with it." But the fact is welfare states break down in multi-racial societies.
I live in a multi-racial society. It has been one for at least all of my lifetime (60+ years), and it hasn't broken down yet.

Can anyone on this forum get over their conditioning for two seconds and have a conversation like adult?
Err...

ok
1/10
0/10
2/10
Look who's talking!
Old 11th June 2019, 07:06 PM   #187
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I live in a multi-racial society. It has been one for at least all of my lifetime (60+ years), and it hasn't broken down yet.
New Zealand is ranked 102 of most diverse countries. Try again.
Old 11th June 2019, 07:15 PM   #188
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Multi-racial societies are not conducive to welfare states and the excellent research I cited proved that.

If so, it's due to racist trash. Fortunately, racist trash are (slowly, albeit) vanishing.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:24 PM   #189
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
If so, it's due to racist trash. Fortunately, racist trash are (slowly, albeit) vanishing.
We can now say skeptics are more delusional than young earth creationists. At least creationists don't understand what the world was like thousands years ago. Skeptics, on the other hand, don't understand the world how it exists now.
Old 11th June 2019, 07:28 PM   #190
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Fortunately, racist trash are (slowly, albeit) vanishing.
And the sooner, the better.

Frankly, I would have thought all them in-bred peckerwoods woulda done bred themselves out of existence by now - just goes to show that evolution takes its own sweet time about gettin' things done!
Old 11th June 2019, 08:01 PM   #191
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

We can now say skeptics are more delusional than young earth creationists. At least creationists don't understand what the world was like thousands years ago. Skeptics, on the other hand, don't understand the world how it exists now.
LOL! Unlike you, I can see the world and the people within it as a dynamic and evolving culture, instead of the static hate filled cesspool you dream of.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 09:59 PM   #192
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

New Zealand is ranked 102 of most diverse countries. Try again.
Wheels on the goalposts now?

You did not say "diverse," and you did not specify what level of diversity applied to what you did say. The term you used more than once was "multi-racial" with no other qualifiers, so maybe it's you who should "try again."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 10:36 PM   #193
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I managed to plow through that paper. As expected, it doesn't say what Norman Alexander thinks it says. Essentially, it supports the hypothesis that too much or too little diversity adversely effects a population. The benefit of diversity has a hunch shape effect and too much diversity will lead to cultural fragmentation and disputes over resources and other public goods and services. Well, duh!
You massive liar. Like Trump, you wouldn't even get through the synopsis without your head collapsing.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 10:49 PM   #194
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Maybe there should be a thread split because the troll successfully managed to derail the whole thread with his "motherless dogless skyless Scandis" remark?
That was good, by the way. I don't condone trolling, but I'm genuenly impressed.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:57 PM   #195
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Would it take all their wealth to establish universal healthcare, a living minimum wage, and access to quality education for Americans?

Why settle for that if ...

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
expropriating all their wealth will give enough funds for everyone to live the commie high-life for decades!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 11th June 2019 at 11:01 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 11:12 PM   #196
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You massive liar. Like Trump, you wouldn't even get through the synopsis without your head collapsing.
You massive liar. Like...........Hillary. Whatever. You didn't read it. Can't understand it either way.
Old 11th June 2019, 11:14 PM   #197
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Wheels on the goalposts now?

You did not say "diverse," and you did not specify what level of diversity applied to what you did say. The term you used more than once was "multi-racial" with no other qualifiers, so maybe it's you who should "try again."
Go back and read, the original qualifier was "large multi-racial, multi-ethnic..."
Old 11th June 2019, 11:16 PM   #198
Baylor
Suspended

LOL! Unlike you, I can see the world and the people within it as a dynamic and evolving culture, instead of the static hate filled cesspool you dream of.
Skeptics now think they have psychic abilities. People self-segregate. Different people from different cultures and races value different things. Those values manifest themselves in interests. Those interests clash. The world it what it is, not the fantasy land you dream of.
Old 11th June 2019, 11:19 PM   #199
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Maybe there should be a thread split because the troll successfully managed to derail the whole thread with his "motherless dogless skyless Scandis" remark?
That was good, by the way. I don't condone trolling, but I'm genuenly impressed.
So we're just to assume every aspect of socialism across the world will look like it does in sexless, childless, aging Northern Europe. And those who call out your special pleading is a "troll."
Old 12th June 2019, 12:08 AM   #200
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Argumentum ad indignation. Argumentum ad smilieum. Instead of the usual "meh's mad" how about you demonstrate how welfare states can work in large, multi-racial countries.

The same way it would work in a small mono cultural country. Someone needs help, they get help, everyone else is contributing via taxes.

This really isn't that hard.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics