ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 3rd November 2018, 11:43 PM   #361
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
While I agree with all of this, to my recollection Abbott’s decisions were not guided by his faith. And neither were the Catholic Keating’s.
On the contrary. Abbott was a disciple of the swivel-eyed far-right-preaching DLP Bob Santamaria. Coming from the same school of thought that brought the right-wing Catholics who supported fascism in the 1930's and railed against the reds-under-the-beds in the 1950's. Whiter and more fervent than Menzies!

Abbott's thoughts and policies are very much guided by this doctrine. All his policies, from virulent opposition to SSM to reintroduction of (expensive and unnecessary) chaplains in public schools, stem from his religious indoctrination.

Here's just one examination of the subject: https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/if-po...16-gz1iu5.html

And yes, as far as I'm aware, Keating did not let his Catholicism drive or override his policies. I don't think Hawke accused him of bible-bashing when he engineered taking over the top job from him. Plenty else, but not religion.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 01:47 PM   #362
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
May the fun start soon
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...04-p50dw8.html

Parliament sits for the period between 26 November and 6 December. We will see who gets Christmas presents. I want to see question time. I love a good blood sport.
Ref: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...nd_Proceedings

Yes we have some interesting times ahead.

From that article you posted:

Quote:
An announcement by Prime Minister Scott Morrison in the midst of the byelection that he would consider moving the Australian embassy to Jerusalem exposed the first signs of tension between the former PM and his successor. The move was designed to appeal to the large Jewish minority in the seat of Wentworth.

Mr Morrison sent Mr Turnbull as the Australian envoy to an Indonesian oceans summit last week, where he discussed the issue with the leader of the Muslim-majority country Joko Widodo, along with other trade issues.

His comments that Indonesia was unhappy with the proposal earned him a public rebuke from Mr Morrison, who said Mr Turnbull should keep out of politics and would not be representing Australia at any more international meetings.
So Morrison sends Turnbull as an envoy to the summit, but when he comes back with info that Indonesia is not happy, Morrison spits the dummy and says Turnbull should shut up?
Old 4th November 2018, 02:57 PM   #363
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Trivial in some ways, but symbomatic of Morrison is his “thanks for your service” campaign. Virgin has just been bullied by News Ltd into giving veterans priority boarding on flights as well as a salute. I’m not joking.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/minister...memorial-works

Quote:
Virgin Australia will also offer military veterans priority boarding and acknowledge their service during in-flight announcements
Cringeworthy and something I think most veterans will not take up.

Qantas is now being asked to match this. This is laughable to anyone who is a frequent flyer. While Virgin at least has priority queues they strictly police, Qantas boarding is a shambles, with the highest priority passengers jostling in the one queue along with everyone else.

The point that needs to be made is, why are veterans singled out and not police and emergency workers? Paramedics? Nurses? Aged Care workers? Cyclists? Vegans? The Easily Offended?

Alright the last few might be a bit of a stretch, but what an empty, pointless gesture this is. A bit like Morrison I suppose.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 04:37 PM   #364
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trivial in some ways, but symbomatic of Morrison is his “thanks for your service” campaign. Virgin has just been bullied by News Ltd into giving veterans priority boarding on flights as well as a salute. I’m not joking.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/minister...memorial-works

Cringeworthy and something I think most veterans will not take up.

Qantas is now being asked to match this. This is laughable to anyone who is a frequent flyer. While Virgin at least has priority queues they strictly police, Qantas boarding is a shambles, with the highest priority passengers jostling in the one queue along with everyone else.

The point that needs to be made is, why are veterans singled out and not police and emergency workers? Paramedics? Nurses? Aged Care workers? Cyclists? Vegans? The Easily Offended?

Alright the last few might be a bit of a stretch, but what an empty, pointless gesture this is. A bit like Morrison I suppose.
I gather the veterans associations are telling Virgin to stop being so silly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 05:18 PM   #365
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I gather the veterans associations are telling Virgin to stop being so silly.
From what I can tell, the RSL wasn’t even consulted.

I hope Virgin just lets this sink without trace.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 11:52 PM   #366
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Reversing beeps loud and clear:

Virgin have just made a statement on their facebook page:
Quote:
“We are very mindful of the response that our announcement about recognising people who have served in defence has had today. It was a gesture genuinely done to pay respects to those who have served our country. Over the coming months, we will consult with community groups and our own team members who have served in defence to determine the best way forward. If this process determines that public acknowledgement of their service through optional priority boarding or any announcement is not appropriate, then we will certainly be respectful of that.”
I would have thought a call to the RSL would have done the trick. It just shows how easily companies can be bullied by News Ltd and populist politicians.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th November 2018, 02:41 PM   #367
Thor 2
Philosopher

Reversing beeps loud and clear:

Virgin have just made a statement on their facebook page:

I would have thought a call to the RSL would have done the trick. It just shows how easily companies can be bullied by News Ltd and populist politicians.

It would seem the "feather in the cap" has turned into a "black eye" to borrow from observations of Colonel Cathcart of Catch 22 fame.
Old 5th November 2018, 02:50 PM   #368
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Some noises on Sky News being made earlier today about potentially different dates for the House and Senate elections. (Sources not clear) What with all the by-elections due to Sec. 42 (44?), and the Victorian and N.S.W. State elections coming up, this idea should go down like a lead balloon. The voters would tear the Libs to bits.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 03:19 PM   #369
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Some noises on Sky News being made earlier today about potentially different dates for the House and Senate elections. (Sources not clear) What with all the by-elections due to Sec. 42 (44?), and the Victorian and N.S.W. State elections coming up, this idea should go down like a lead balloon. The voters would tear the Libs to bits.

Norm
Jointly AND severally.
Old 5th November 2018, 07:20 PM   #370
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Labor pulls further in front of Coalition as Morrison's disapproval rating rises...amongst readers of The Guardian.

Quote:
Labor has pulled further in front of the Coalition in the national political contest, and voter disapproval of Scott Morrison has jumped by nine points in a month, according to the latest Guardian Essential poll.

The latest survey of 1,028 voters puts Labor ahead of the Coalition 54% to 46% on the two-party-preferred measure, compared with 53% to 47% a fortnight ago – a result that would give Bill Shorten an easy election win.

More voters (41%) approve of Morrison’s performance as prime minister than disapprove (37%), but disapproval has risen from 28% in October, a shift outside the poll’s margin of error which is plus or minus 3%.

Morrison’s net approval rating has been in positive territory since he took the Liberal leadership in bitterly contested circumstances, suggesting voters have been willing to indulge his opening pitch, but the result this fortnight means the prime minister’s rating has slipped from +15 to +4.

The Labor leader, Bill Shorten, has recorded a five-point increase in his approval rating over the month (33% to 38%) and his disapproval is down one point to 44%. Shorten’s net approval rating remains in negative territory, but there has been an improvement from -12 to -6.

Morrison remains ahead of Shorten as preferred prime minister 41% to 29%, a similar result to a month ago, where Morrison was ahead 42% to 27%.
Old 6th November 2018, 02:19 PM   #371
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Just in case you were still unsure on what kind of person Mark Latham is...

Mark Latham joins Pauline Hanson's One Nation as NSW branch leader

Quote:
The former leader of the Labor Party, Mark Latham, has joined One Nation and will run for the NSW Parliament.

Speaking on Alan Jones' 2GB radio program this morning with One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, Mr Latham said he was putting his hand up because he believed NSW voters needed a third choice.

He identified immigration, congestion, over-development and electricity prices as some of the issues he would use to campaign.

But Mr Latham also hit out against "political correctness" and "divisive identity politics".

"These are all issues that are banking up in NSW they haven't been addressed by the major parties," he said.

"I want to provide people with a third choice — to say you can vote One Nation and have practical, commonsense solutions to these big issues in our state."
Old 6th November 2018, 10:26 PM   #372
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

He will get one vote - himself. And hopefully the big loudmouth will rapidly fade from public life.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:42 PM   #373
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I thought he already had. He is Fish and Chip news.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:24 AM   #374
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He will get one vote - himself. And hopefully the big loudmouth will rapidly fade from public life.
The scary thing is that his name will get votes and ON will get LNP preferences. Remember Fred Nile was a NSW MP for many years. Latham might get up. Certifiable morons (I can name dozens) have been elected before
Old 8th November 2018, 02:04 PM   #375
Thor 2
Philosopher

Mark should fit in quite well with Pauline I think. Do we all remember the events of 2006? Just a small extract:

Quote:
The following day, Latham appeared to drive towards a Channel 7 television cameraman at his Sydney home. The photographer was unhurt but Seven's head of news in Sydney, Chris Willis, said the footage clearly showed Latham's car veer toward the cameraman as he stood on the side of the road.[32] In February 2006, Latham was charged with assault, malicious damage and theft in relation to the incident.

Pauline could always give Mark some training on how to run a fish and chips shop, should his political ambitions come to nought.
Old 12th November 2018, 02:01 PM   #376
Thor 2
Philosopher

Scott Morrison eats meat pies and is "fair dinkum". What more could we ask of a PM?

Quote:
Prime Minister Scott Morrison is on a tour of Queensland, and his sales pitch to voters is that he's a "fair dinkum" bloke.

LEIGH SALES: Today the Prime Minister ate a pie for the cameras, tweeted a Spotify playlist called Australian Rock, revealed his childhood nickname was ScottyMo, and told an FM radio station where his first pash was.

It's all part of Scott Morrison's tour of Queensland and his sales pitch to voters that he's a fair dinkum bloke.

SCOTT MORRISON: Hey, mate. How are you?

I'm listening, most importantly I'm hearing and that means we're doing.

And, yeah, fair dinkum.

Our government's getting on with it. We're just getting on with it.
Old 12th November 2018, 04:56 PM   #377
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Scott Morrison eats meat pies and is "fair dinkum". What more could we ask of a PM?
This one? That he goes back to The Shire and disappears down a hobbit-hole.
Old 12th November 2018, 05:16 PM   #378
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Morrison is now calling on religious and spiritual leaders to be more aware of what is going on within their communities. He gives the example of his own Christian church, where apparently:

Quote:
...my pastor knows what’s going on in our church community.

He would know if there was someone, or his wife would know if there was someone leading a local Bible study group or something like that who was teaching things that were not in accordance with what our faith believed.

They’d be pointing that out and they’d be dealing with it because that’s the responsibility of a religious leader, to actually protect the integrity of your faith community.
(source)

But his comments are clearly and transparently aimed at Muslim imams.
Old 13th November 2018, 09:41 PM   #379
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

How on Earth would anyone know that there was a Bible study group being run by someone in their church community IF THEY DIDN'T TELL YOU. Electronic surveillance? Snoop through windows at night? Third-degree light-bulb phonebook Gestapo torture in a dark room?

Seriously, ScoMo! Most other religious communities do NOT work like the tawdry bunch of grifters you hang out with.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:37 PM   #380
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

How on Earth would anyone know that there was a Bible study group being run by someone in their church community IF THEY DIDN'T TELL YOU. Electronic surveillance? Snoop through windows at night? Third-degree light-bulb phonebook Gestapo torture in a dark room?

Seriously, ScoMo! Most other religious communities do NOT work like the tawdry bunch of grifters you hang out with.
Would not be too hard to find out. If they advertise for new members then the priest would be reading those advertisements. Or some of his flock would be. Then discuss it with the priest. Of course if it was just close family and friends in the study group, with no outside recruitment, then that could remain hidden. Not to mention spies and loose tongues.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:49 PM   #381
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Would not be too hard to find out. If they advertise for new members then the priest would be reading those advertisements. Or some of his flock would be. Then discuss it with the priest. Of course if it was just close family and friends in the study group, with no outside recruitment, then that could remain hidden. Not to mention spies and loose tongues.

Spies?

To catch rogue bible study groups?

"No one ever expects The Spanish Inquisition!"
Old 13th November 2018, 11:49 PM   #382
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, please remember that Morrison's church is not a small country parish. The Horizon Church has thousands of members. I'd be astounded if Brad and Alison knew the names of a fraction of them.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:15 AM   #383
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Spies?

To catch rogue bible study groups?

"No one ever expects The Spanish Inquisition!"
Potential spy - I have sinned Father <details go here>.
Father - I forgive you all of your sins. I will even bless your future activities if you will do me a few small favours. Just tell me about bible study groups you know about. Give me the names of who is running them.
Potential spy - <name> did ask me about if I wanted to join one.
Father - thank you. You have done well. When you hear of more, please let me know.
Potential spy - Yes Father,

Upgrade potential spy to actual spy.

All very simple. The priest gets some information for things he can easily give out.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:26 AM   #384
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Horizon Church, being Pentecostal not Catholic, does not do Confession.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:29 PM   #385
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Definitely not Catholic if the confessional is not sealed.
Old 14th November 2018, 06:56 PM   #386
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Small detail. The conversation would then not be in a confessional. I assume priests would give counselling. Could happen during that.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:40 PM   #387
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

So the local Christian women's morning coffee club suddenly becomes a subversive anti-pentacostal movement because the head offering-snatcher hasn't been told about it and approved it??

Sounds just like the Liberal Party, doesn't it!
Old 14th November 2018, 10:11 PM   #388
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Small detail. The conversation would then not be in a confessional. I assume priests would give counselling. Could happen during that.
It would be more graceful if you didn't try to dismiss a factual error as a "small detail". After all, you did describe a scene in a confession: Potential spy - I have sinned Father <details go here> etc etc.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:18 PM   #389
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It would be more graceful if you didn't try to dismiss a factual error as a "small detail". After all, you did describe a scene in a confession: Potential spy - I have sinned Father <details go here> etc etc.
That doesn't mean that a non-confessional-sealed conversation wouldn't take place between a pastor and a parishioner. I think you're picking at straws here.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:20 PM   #390
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That doesn't mean that a non-confessional-sealed conversation wouldn't take place between a pastor and a parishioner.
Did I say that?
Old 14th November 2018, 11:01 PM   #391
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Did I say that?
Again, you're picking at straws. rjh01's update was a perfectly appropriate response and required no rebuttal.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:32 PM   #392
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Again, you're picking at straws. rjh01's update was a perfectly appropriate response and required no rebuttal.
How long do you intend to argue about this? I only took exception to the words "small detail". The rest of the post is perfectly fine.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:41 PM   #393
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How long do you intend to argue about this? I only took exception to the words "small detail". The rest of the post is perfectly fine.
It was a small detail. The argument stands regardless of whether it's a Catholic in the confessional or a non-Catholic counsellor. As I said, no rebuttal was required.

And for the record, I'm bored, so I'll argue for as long as you do.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:44 PM   #394
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Thanks.

Edit. Any religious leader of almost any religion could go though something similar. As long as the leader is there is listen and to give advice the potential is there. The leader might not be interested in bible study but something else in which they are interested. Lots of variations.

Last edited by rjh01; 14th November 2018 at 11:50 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 11:51 PM   #395
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Thanks.
With the peanut gallery on your side I concede. There was absolutely nothing objectionable about your post.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:51 AM   #396
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Thanks.

Edit. Any religious leader of almost any religion could go though something similar. As long as the leader is there is listen and to give advice the potential is there. The leader might not be interested in bible study but something else in which they are interested. Lots of variations.
Right. But as I said, in this case the Horizon Church has thousands of members. It's unlikely that the pastors will know all of their parishioners very well. Morrison was telling porkies.
Old 15th November 2018, 01:38 AM   #397
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Right. But as I said, in this case the Horizon Church has thousands of members. It's unlikely that the pastors will know all of their parishioners very well. Morrison was telling porkies.
Seeing someone else has conceded, I will do. What you have said would be true. It would take a lot of effort for a priest to find out most of the public bible readings that take place. Or any other event that they might be interested in. Almost no chance of finding out about private events.
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:47 AM   #398
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

The latest in a series of scandals involving the Victorian branch of the Green Party.

Quote:
WARNING: The following story may be distressing to some readers.

Party leader Samantha Ratnam has said “swift action” was taken to stand down candidate Dominic Phillips, following allegations he sexually assaulted a woman.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...ely/ar-BBPZWLn

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:33 AM   #399
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
The latest in a series of scandals involving the Victorian branch of the Green Party.

His name is still on the ballot paper as a Greens candidate.

The party is a disgrace and let’s hope it is decimated and doesn’t have the balance of power in the Upper House. It certainly won’t in the Lower House. Andrews will win comfortably.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:41 AM   #400
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post

This one just feels a bit suspicious to me. These allegations came about two days before the election which makes me wonder if there's an ulterior motive to this.

Having said that, given that all we know about the allegations is that they are "serious" I do hope the accuser goes to the police because ultimately dealing with sexual assault is the responsibility of them, not the Greens leadership body.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics