ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 29th May 2019, 11:01 PM   #1441
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Again I don't see anyone who has said that everything that Morrison does is motivated by religion.
Do you see anybody mentioning anything else besides his religion?

Sure, I accept that Morrison fully supported Turnbull's leadership throughout the whole process.

So how is Prime Minister Turnbull doing?
You evidently have no idea who the key players were. Do a little research if you don't believe me.
Old 29th May 2019, 11:13 PM   #1442
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
You mean, apart from the first thirty pages of this thread?
Old 30th May 2019, 01:22 AM   #1443
Robin
Philosopher

As Arthwollipot said, apart from the first 30 pages of the thread. And you seem to be the one doing the most to keep the subject alive.

Quote:
You evidently have no idea who the key players were. Do a little research if you don't believe me.
Sure, maybe I will research who became PM at the end of the process, that seems pretty key. Who was it now? Scott someone I think.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 01:27 AM   #1444
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

As Arthwollipot said, apart from the first 30 pages of the thread. And you seem to be the one doing the most to keep the subject alive.
To be fair, the first few pages were mostly about his religion, then we moved on to other subjects.
Old 30th May 2019, 04:24 AM   #1445
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Clearly you don't read anything.

Sure, maybe I will research who became PM at the end of the process, that seems pretty key. Who was it now? Scott someone I think.
So you think that ScoMo should have let Peter Dutton win the prime ministership unchallenged?

Last edited by psionl0; 30th May 2019 at 04:25 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 03:05 PM   #1446
Thor 2
Philosopher

Clearly you don't read anything.

So you think that ScoMo should have let Peter Dutton win the prime ministership unchallenged?

So there we have it. No more derogatory remarks about Scomo and his being a Pentecostal God bot, because he saved us from having Dutton, the turd, as Prime Minister. This is absolutely prime psion type argument. It just doesn't get any better than this.
Old 30th May 2019, 05:11 PM   #1447
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I have an outrageous suggestion.

Instead of worrying about what Morrison will or won't do, why doesn't everyone wait to see what he does do?

It seems a little illogical to argue about something that will become evident in a fairly short time frame.
Old 30th May 2019, 06:18 PM   #1448
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Instead of worrying about what Morrison will or won't do, why doesn't everyone wait to see what he does do?

It seems a little illogical to argue about something that will become evident in a fairly short time frame.
He has already done enough when he was an Abbott minister. He hides and ducks and weaves...get's stuff done by stealth and denying it. His record is not that of an open, honest person.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/...scott-morrison
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 07:15 PM   #1449
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

While I agree in principle, he's very predictable.
Old 30th May 2019, 07:18 PM   #1450
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I don't see any of that being related to his christianity, which was the point of my statement.

And if you want to find an honest politician, you'll need a time machine to go back to 1974, when Norm Kirk died. He's the only one I know of in the past 100 years.
Old 30th May 2019, 08:10 PM   #1451
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I don't see any of that being related to his christianity, which was the point of my statement.
The question remains: Does anyone think he will make decisions for the country that will go against his religious beliefs. If not, that's "influence".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:20 PM   #1452
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

For example. After it was clear that the Australian people wanted marriage equality, he (along with a few other people noted for their religious views) abstained from the vote in Parliament rather than comply with the will of his electorate, which voted 55% Yes in the postal survey.

Does anyone believe that something like that won't happen again?
Old 30th May 2019, 08:37 PM   #1453
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I want to say another thing, and then if you like, psion, I'll change to another subject.

One aspect of Pentecostalism that I think wasn't touched on in that article I linked was that it is a strongly Dominionist theology. Essentially this is the idea that God must rule on Earth before he can rule in Heaven. Dominionists very actively seek positions of power in local and national governments in order to bring nations under exclusively Christian rule, and break Satan's governance over the world.

Do we really want a theocrat in charge?
Old 30th May 2019, 10:38 PM   #1454
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
So there we have it. No more derogatory remarks about Scomo and his being a Pentecostal God bot, because he saved us from having Dutton, the turd, as Prime Minister. This is absolutely prime psion type argument. It just doesn't get any better than this.
What a siilly argument. Of course I shouldn't expect anything better from somebody who thinks that "ScoMo is PM therefore he is the one who wielded the knife" is sound reasoning.
Old 30th May 2019, 10:54 PM   #1455
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I want to say another thing, and then if you like, psion, I'll change to another subject.

One aspect of Pentecostalism that I think wasn't touched on in that article I linked was that it is a strongly Dominionist theology. Essentially this is the idea that God must rule on Earth before he can rule in Heaven. Dominionists very actively seek positions of power in local and national governments in order to bring nations under exclusively Christian rule, and break Satan's governance over the world.

Do we really want a theocrat in charge?
If your inference is that ScoMo wants to bring on WW3 to fulfill biblical prophecy then that would be a kooky inference indeed.

If it comes down to a choice between ScoMo and any one of Tony Abbott, Peter Dutton or even Malcolm Turnbull then ScoMo is the best of a bad bunch. It has nothing to do with his religion but because he is less likely to blow the budget to smithereens with reckless spending or to implement a hard right agenda.

That doesn't mean that I approve of ScoMo. A vote for Scott Morrison is a vote FOR climate change and a vote for the wealthy and major corporations AGAINST low income earners and those dependent on pensions and welfare. I don't see anything particularly religious about this. It is just standard Liberal philosophy.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:05 PM   #1456
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

If your inference is that ScoMo wants to bring on WW3 to fulfill biblical prophecy then that would be a kooky inference indeed.
Again, I'm explicitly not looking into my crystal ball, predicting what he will do in the future. I am raising a concern. His religion teaches that the people in charge should be Christian.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:10 PM   #1457
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Again, I'm explicitly not looking into my crystal ball, predicting what he will do in the future. I am raising a concern. His religion teaches that the people in charge should be Christian.
So what? There is no indication that he is going to do anything other than implement Liberal philosophy.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:21 PM   #1458
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So what? There is no indication that he is going to do anything other than implement Liberal philosophy.
It's about how he influences that philosophy in the party room. He is the leader of the party, after all.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:31 PM   #1459
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

GOTO 1457
Old 30th May 2019, 11:31 PM   #1460
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I see psion is looping again. Anyone got a Ctrl-C?
Old 30th May 2019, 11:38 PM   #1461
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I see psion is looping again. Anyone got a Ctrl-C?
I gave an honest response to your "another thing" and you are still harping on about his religion. It's time for you to keep your promise and change to another subject.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:52 PM   #1462
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I gave an honest response to your "another thing" and you are still harping on about his religion. It's time for you to keep your promise and change to another subject.
Righto.

Australia to achieve 50% renewables by 2030 without government intervention, analysis finds

Quote:
Australia is on track to achieve 50% renewable electricity by 2030 even without new federal energy policies, according to modelling by the energy analysts RepuTex.

The analysis, to be released on Wednesday, suggests that a surge in renewable energy driven by state schemes and rooftop solar installations will reduce wholesale prices from $85 per MWh to $70 over the next three years.

Lower prices will make gas- and coal-fired power less competitive, even without a market mechanism to make fossil fuels reflect the cost of pollution or a direct constraint on emissions, although a lack of federal policy could lead to longer-term price rises, RepuTex found.
So really, it doesn't matter what ScoMo thinks about climate change. The tide has turned. We have passed the tipping point where generating energy with coal is more expensive than generating it with renewables. Canberra will be effectively 100% renewable by October. And it won't take long for the other major cities to catch up.
Old 31st May 2019, 12:40 AM   #1463
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The question remains: Does anyone think he will make decisions for the country that will go against his religious beliefs. If not, that's "influence".
That's the very unknown I'm talking about.

God is more powerful than the electorate, so I presume he wouldn't, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Old 31st May 2019, 03:28 PM   #1464
Thor 2
Philosopher

Scomo has runs on the board showing how his religious leaning will influence his decision making. A couple of years back:

Quote:
The federal treasurer, Scott Morrison, has backed Wallabies star Israel Folau’s “strong character” in standing up for his religious belief that gay people will go to hell unless they repent their sins.
Now before the ink is dry on his oath to the GG he is pushing the religious right to discriminate freedom wagon.

I wonder if we are going to see a wave of Libs flocking to join Pentecostal churches. Those opportunistic bastards may see this as a way forward in advancement perhaps.
Old 31st May 2019, 06:35 PM   #1465
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Scomo ...
It amuses me that someone who opposes Morrison still manages to buy into the fake Ocker persona he plays so well, by using the Ocker-style familiar Morrison himself probably invented.
Old 1st June 2019, 01:44 PM   #1466
Thor 2
Philosopher

It amuses me that someone who opposes Morrison still manages to buy into the fake Ocker persona he plays so well, by using the Ocker-style familiar Morrison himself probably invented.
Oops! Did I really do that? Oh my....
Old 5th June 2019, 02:09 AM   #1467
KDLarsen
Illuminator

It definantly looks like Morrison and co are now using the reelection to begin a crackdown on reporters recieving leaked material.

In a matter of days, Annika Smethurst, a reporter from News Corp, Ben Fordham from 2GB, and finally today the ABC have all either been raided by the AFP or been informed that they're an interested party in an inquiry over use of leaked materials.

Edit: A remarkable set of live-tweets from the raid on the ABC: https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...weet-at-a-time

Last edited by KDLarsen; 5th June 2019 at 02:12 AM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 02:29 AM   #1468
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just to rub it in. Here is the story they did not want the public to know https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...forces/8466642
Old 5th June 2019, 03:34 AM   #1469
JamesXXVI
Thinker

I bet News Corp regrets its decision to endorse the LNP at the elec--LOL who I am kidding.
JamesXXVI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 03:54 AM   #1470
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Delete. I am wrong.
Old 5th June 2019, 04:34 AM   #1471
Robin
Philosopher

The AFP, who sat on their hands and basically did nothing about the leak from Cash's office now out intimidating journalists?

Yeah, nah, this is fine.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 06:16 PM   #1472
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The AFP, who sat on their hands and basically did nothing about the leak from Cash's office now out intimidating journalists?

Yeah, nah, this is fine.
Dutton says he has nothing to do with this, had no idea it was going to happen, etc.

In a pig's arse, you Brussel sprout.
Old 6th June 2019, 04:09 PM   #1473
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It definantly looks like Morrison and co are now using the reelection to begin a crackdown on reporters recieving leaked material.
Welcome to the new normal.
Old 11th June 2019, 02:53 PM   #1474
Thor 2
Philosopher

So another "One Nation" MP Charles Smith jumps ship.

I wonder when Pauline will be the only one left?

Instead of the 'Pauline Hansen's One Nation Party' maybe a name change to 'One Pauline Hansen in the Nation Party' would be more appropriate?
Old 11th June 2019, 10:51 PM   #1475
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

So another "One Nation" MP Charles Smith jumps ship.

I wonder when Pauline will be the only one left?

Instead of the 'Pauline Hansen's One Nation Party' maybe a name change to 'One Pauline Hansen in the Nation Party' would be more appropriate?
It was only ever about her. Hence the party name.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:58 PM   #1476
Thor 2
Philosopher

Albo has found himself in a stoush so soon into his leadership, taking on the "union ratbag" Setka. interesting power play unfolding here as we wait to see the reaction of other union secretaries.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...utiny/11204210

Quote:
Anthony Albanese's first captain's call as Labor leader has sparked mutiny — it is not known yet how dangerous.
By demanding the ALP's national executive expel union ratbag John Setka, the Labor leader has put the party's ruling body in an invidious position.
Old 12th June 2019, 05:35 PM   #1477
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well, in a way this is the ideal time to shake those things out. Better get all the infighting done now rather than closer to the next election.
Old 12th June 2019, 05:48 PM   #1478
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

More importantly, standing up to the Blue-collar Mafia unions is a very good thing, and long overdue in Aussie politics.

I don't know why your unions are so corrupt. Ours are just useless.

Your subs must be higher.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:53 PM   #1479
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey now, not all of our unions are irredeemably corrupt.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:32 PM   #1480
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

More importantly, standing up to the Blue-collar Mafia unions is a very good thing, and long overdue in Aussie politics.

I don't know why your unions are so corrupt. Ours are just useless.

Your subs must be higher.
What is high is the union donations to the ALP. If I were Albo I would have delegated this.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics