ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 19th March 2019, 04:10 AM   #81
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Indeed. The Brexiteers surely know this so won't they act to prevent such a long extension? Do they have sufficient power to do so?

(Pardon a Yank's ignorance of British politics.)
Brexiteers are a colorful, disunited bunch. You have some in the ERG, who think no deal Brexit is all rainbows and unicorns (or at least claim that), you have some in Labour who think (or equivalent) Corbyn's idea of a Norway-style Brexit will tear the UK off the EU lobbyists while allowing a development of social Britain along the lines of the Netherlands or Denmark. Then you have those who aren't Brexiteers at all but represent constituencies that voted for Brexit so they feel they must ensure a Brexit to represent their voters.

A no-deal Brexit is favored by the ERG only, the others prefer a different Brexit and they can't agree on which. A hodgepodge mess all around.

Anyway, to answer the question: the long extension throws a spanner in the workings of the ERG vermin, but offers the others an option that is more to their liking. A different Brexit deal, along the lines of what Corbyn suggested (save for the main upsides he promised) is entirely possible, a long extension favors those. It would also be acceptable to those Brexiteers who just support Brexit for the sake of their idiotic constituencies, since another referendum may well change their minds. I see this as a non-zero possibilitiy of happening.

How large is another question altogether. The delay would likely split the Tories asounder. Decent people don't care about that, but Theresa May does and she's in charge.

The odds are "nonzero", that's as far as I'm willing to say right now.

McHrozni
Old 19th March 2019, 04:14 AM   #82
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I see Theresa May's response to the decision that a third vote cannot be held on her deal is to try to go ahead with a third vote on her deal anyway. If nothing else, she's consistent.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 08:32 AM   #83
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Rees-Mogg has tweeted he thinks leaving on the 29th with no deal is the best option.

With Mays deal off the table the choice is now no deal or ask for a long extension.
He might well think that but Parliament rejected that option. And TM really should be doing something about that decision rather than pretending it didn't happen.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:45 AM   #84
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
He might well think that but Parliament rejected that option. And TM really should be doing something about that decision rather than pretending it didn't happen.
Such a vote does not overturn legislation. Until the law is changed by parliament we leave on the 29th.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #85
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Such a vote does not overturn legislation. Until the law is changed by parliament we leave on the 29th.
Indeed. Which is why I say TM should be doing something about that rather than putting her fingers in her ears and shouting la la la
Old 19th March 2019, 08:54 AM   #86
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Indeed. Which is why I say TM should be doing something about that rather than putting her fingers in her ears and shouting la la la
That has worked out ok for her so far, look at the leadership challenges she got through, why change now?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 08:59 AM   #87
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That has worked out ok for her so far, look at the leadership challenges she got through, why change now?
True. Maybe I should be more clear.... that's what she SHOULD be doing if she actually had any respect for Parliament or any morals whatsoever. So she probably won't
Old 19th March 2019, 09:58 AM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You have to remember that May was 100% successful in getting the only vote from MPs that she has ever has been concerned about. Which was the leadership vote.

Thanks to the likes of Rees Mogg she doesn't have to really worry about the consequences of anything for the next few months.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:54 AM   #89
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apparently there is a precedent in Erskine May from 1604 "The Same Question Or Bill May Not be Twice Offered in One Session"

(Erskine May is the 'rule book' for Parliament)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erskin...ntary_Practice
I wonder who on the Speaker's staff managed to dig that one up?
To go back to the first year of the reign of James the First for a precedent is fascinating, from a pure historian's point of view.
I got a feeling that normally it would be considered sort of a "Dead Letter Rule".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 10:56 AM   #90
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
And if you will forgive an American offering an opinion, Nigel Farage appears to me to be the stereotype of a classic English twit.
Agreed. Farage is right out of a Monty Python skit.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 10:59 AM   #91
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
To go back to the first year of the reign of James the First for a precedent is fascinating, from a pure historian's point of view.
I got a feeling that normally it would be considered sort of a "Dead Letter Rule".
Bercow did list several times when the rule had been invoked. iirc there were a few as recently as the 1920's, but I was laughing pretty hard at the time

I only smirked because it was ******* hilarious, says Bercow
Old 19th March 2019, 12:50 PM   #92
Mojo
Mostly harmless

They didnít have to go back to the first year of the reign of James I for it, itís in the current edition of Erskine May, on page 397.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 01:53 PM   #93
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

In the case of JRM he had to take a time machine FORWARD to the 17th century.
Old 19th March 2019, 11:21 PM   #94
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It's kind of complicated, Farage is definitely rich and establishment, he went to a Eaton College school but the classic English twit is more obviously upper class (think Rees-Mogg) and we generally consider our twits to be oblivious but generally good natured (don't think Rees-Mogg). Farage is more of a spiv, in the ration book days that Brexiteers think so kindly of he'd have been trading on the Black Market.
How does that saying go, "The English and Americans are a common people separated only by a different language"

Anyway, can you explain those terms?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 12:34 AM   #95
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
How does that saying go, "The English and Americans are a common people separated only by a different language"

Anyway, can you explain those terms?
"Spiv: a man, typically a flashy dresser, who makes a living by disreputable dealings." During WWII rationing spivs were black marketeers who, for a price, could get you that bottle of scotch or whatever.

Rationing in the United Kingdom

Last edited by GlennB; 20th March 2019 at 12:35 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 01:29 AM   #96
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Bercow did list several times when the rule had been invoked. iirc there were a few as recently as the 1920's, but I was laughing pretty hard at the time

I only smirked because it was ******* hilarious, says Bercow
And, of course, one of the reasons it hasn't been invoked more often is that, pre:FTPA, the government would have been pretty much dumped with a defeat of the magnitude May suffered in the first Meaningless Vote.

In order to show that this is pulling a rule out of his arse they'd have to show recent examples of represented votes where the details hadn't changed.

I don't expect any of them to do that, though...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 01:46 AM   #97
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

A trillion pounds is leaving the UK for Europe.

At 350 million pounds per week, UK is set to break even around 2027, assuming no other bills pile up and not including compound interest or other factors.

https://www.ft.com/content/016171be-...f-d49067e0f50d

At the more realistic 100 million pounds per week that comes out into mid-2040s, not including other Brexit related expenses.

I have a feeling the "50 years to first benefits" was wildly optimistic.

McHrozni
Old 20th March 2019, 02:30 AM   #98
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post

At 350 million pounds per week, UK is set to break even around 2027, assuming no other bills pile up and not including compound interest or other factors.

At the more realistic 100 million pounds per week that comes out into mid-2040s, not including other Brexit related expenses.

McHrozni
A trillion has already left, is this an additional trillion?
Old 20th March 2019, 02:34 AM   #99
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
A trillion has already left, is this an additional trillion?
... I have no idea.

Total financial assets of London City in 2016 were estimated at just over 5 trillion pounds, so maybe?

The estimate by EY — which mainly covers client assets and cash moved out of the UK by banks and fund managers as well as the transfer of balance sheets as operations are relocated — has increased by £200bn since the last survey in January. -- the quoted article

200 billion pounds left in the last two months alone, according to the conservative estimate. It could indeed be London will lose out up to 40% of total financial assets. But a few words are adequate: "calamity", "cataclysm", "debacle", etc.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 20th March 2019 at 02:39 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 02:54 AM   #100
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Apparently democracy in the UK is all but dead, according to Trump Jr., because we didn't do exactly what his daddy told us to.

Twat.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 03:00 AM   #101
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the British yet again leads the world and provides a great example to others; in how not to try and wind the clock back and live in the past, whilst shooting ones self in the foot.
Old 20th March 2019, 03:41 AM   #102
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post

McHrozni
A trillion in assets in banks is not the same as income for the Government/country.
Old 20th March 2019, 03:43 AM   #103
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

So despite promising Parliament that she would ask for a long extension if she couldn't agree a deal, and passing a motion to that effect TM is now saying she won't. And will ask only for 3 months to appease her Brexiteer contingent.

It's a ******* disgrace quite frankly. And if she can get away with it then our constitution seems fundamentally flawed.
Old 20th March 2019, 05:25 AM   #104
Lothian
should be banned

So despite promising Parliament that she would ask for a long extension if she couldn't agree a deal, and passing a motion to that effect TM is now saying she won't. And will ask only for 3 months to appease her Brexiteer contingent.

It's a ******* disgrace quite frankly. And if she can get away with it then our constitution seems fundamentally flawed.
How long should she ask for? Three more months would mean we spent 27 months negotiating a quick and dirty agreement to last 18 months. Remember the deal is only for the transition period up until 31/12/20.

If I was May I would withdraw article 50 and forget about a transition period. What is the point of a transition period where nothing changes apart from us losing our seat at the table?

She can then put work into negotiating the long term agreement and once* that is agreed she can re-enact article 50 and we can leave pretty much straight away.

Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 05:35 AM   #105
Dave Rogers

Jesus. May has just said that the House of Commons has rejected no-deal, Labour's deal and a customs union, so they're all definitely off the table, and then gone on to ask MP's to back her deal. She has not the slightest vestige of either consistency or self-awareness.

Dave

Old 20th March 2019, 05:40 AM   #106
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

You only get one shot at a50.
If it is withdrawn we can't re-apply.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th March 2019 at 06:38 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 05:44 AM   #107
KDLarsen
Illuminator

So there it is, May's master plan: 3 month extension, not a day more, and a meaningful vote #3 to see if the latest briberies have had an effect.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Apparently democracy in the UK is all but dead, according to Trump Jr., because we didn't do exactly what his daddy told us to.

Twat.

Dave
In case people had forgotten Trump's master plan for leaving the EU, instead of negotiating, it involved suing the EU for.. reasons..
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 05:52 AM   #108
KDLarsen
Illuminator

That was quick, the EU has shot back to state than any extension must end on May 23, the date of the EU elections, or at the end of 2019.

Oh, and if May wants anything to get through the European parliament before it is dissolved ahead of those elections, she'll have to be quick, as that's already on April 18.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 05:58 AM   #109
BillC
Bazooka Joe

It breaks my heart what has become of my country.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:00 AM   #110
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
It breaks my heart what has become of my country.
Seconded.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:24 AM   #111
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Jesus. May has just said that the House of Commons has rejected no-deal, Labour's deal and a customs union, so they're all definitely off the table, and then gone on to ask MP's to back her deal. She has not the slightest vestige of either consistency or self-awareness.

Dave
Hey none of those are record setting defeats, so clearly they don't count. Unless you are in the top 5 defeats ever you of course don't get to come up for a vote again immediately.

Seriously I think she wants her deal to be most of the list of biggest defeats in history.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:29 AM   #112
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

You only get kne shot at a50.
If it is withdrawn we can't re-apply.
That's not correct I don't think.

You can't withdraw it with the intention of re-applying later, but if you withdraw it there is no way a country could be bound indefinitely in the EU.

And what would the punishment be? Getting kicked out?
Old 20th March 2019, 06:38 AM   #113
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
That was quick, the EU has shot back to state than any extension must end on May 23, the date of the EU elections, or at the end of 2019.

Oh, and if May wants anything to get through the European parliament before it is dissolved ahead of those elections, she'll have to be quick, as that's already on April 18.
I can kind of see the logic about the elections, although surely anytime before the new parliament sat would be OK? Which I think is July.

Not sure what the significance of the end of the year is though.
Old 20th March 2019, 06:40 AM   #114
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That's not correct I don't think.

You can't withdraw it with the intention of re-applying later, but if you withdraw it there is no way a country could be bound indefinitely in the EU.

And what would the punishment be? Getting kicked out?
How lateer is 'later'?

If there weren't restrictions what would stop a50 being used as a constant negotiating tool or for political posturing?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th March 2019 at 06:45 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:46 AM   #115
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Has junker said if the May 23rd deadline is acceptable regardless, or does the UK still need to present a strategy for that deadline?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:08 AM   #116
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

How lateer is 'later'?

If there weren't restrictions what would stop a50 being used as a constant negotiating tool or for political posturing?
Its untested because nobody has ever previously been stupid enough to trigger A50 let alone try to do it twice!!!

I guess it would go to the courts to decide if either the EU refused to accept a withdrawal or refused to accept a re-submission

Last edited by Archie Gemmill Goal; 20th March 2019 at 07:09 AM.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:23 AM   #117
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yea that seems unlikely with out some indication that the UK would reach a decision.
Plus the UK would need to elect MEPs.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:24 AM   #118
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The UK could negotiate the rules on how to leave the EU within the EU parliamentary framework for the next five years.
And then it absolutely could apply to leave again, under the new rules.

At this point, nothing else makes sense.
Old 20th March 2019, 07:27 AM   #119
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Comic Sans would have been more appropriate.
Wingdings...

As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:30 AM   #120
catsmate
No longer the 1

I think the attitude that they should let the kid touch the hot stove lid with hand and learn the hard way is gaining daily/
Yeah, I've been at a couple of seminars recently and there is little sympathy for the idiotic Brits.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
To keep it in the spirit of Parliament it would be sans serif ... but with all those little squiggles and tails on the ends of the letters.
You mean a serif font?
Serifs and terminators are the preferred terms.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics