ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 16th April 2019, 05:05 AM   #201
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
France's Civil Defence Authority has posted a rare tweet in English, seemingly just to troll trump: https://twitter.com/SecCivileFrance/...74924268376064

I saws that yesterday, and really wasn't sure if they'd take the time to troll Trump during an emergency.

I guess we're through the looking glass, here.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:17 AM   #202
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I saws that yesterday, and really wasn't sure if they'd take the time to troll Trump during an emergency.

I guess we're through the looking glass, here.

I don't see why it has to be a troll.

Just because they are responding to explain something doesn't make it trolling.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:43 AM   #203
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No mistakes. Nicely done.
probably written by a different snarky canadian.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:47 AM   #204
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
probably written by a different snarky canadian.
Eille, fais attention à c'que tu dis!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:32 AM   #205
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
Either its because of a relatively small issue that he's making a big deal of not following his promises on, or it shows technically legal but scummy money sources.
If he were a normal person, one additional reason would be the returns, if leaked, would show that he lied when he claimed how he wouldn’t benefit from the tax cuts. However the emotion of shame is far beyond his abilities.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:34 AM   #206
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I don't see why it has to be a troll.

Just because they are responding to explain something doesn't make it trolling.

Except they're French, and he's Trump. I'd give good odds on it being trolling.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:37 AM   #207
Doubt
Philosopher

Water probably shouldn't come in contact with Trump, either. He'd probably melt like the Wicked Witch.
But then who would get the ruby golf clubs?

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:49 AM   #208
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I was just thinking about Joe Biden’s speculation back in October 2016. He wondered if Donald Trump was too stupid to understand the damage he is doing.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:49 AM   #209
Armitage72
Master Poster

I just saw a news story that Paul Ryan has been invited to be a guest lecturer at the University of Notre Dame. Someone should mention it to Trump. Better than even odds that he would mix up the university and the cathedral.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:52 AM   #210
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
And a tweet in reply

"Veuillez nous excuser pour notre crétin orange."
As a commentered said, "I don't speak French, but "presidente tres stupide" and "cretin orange" (pardon my spelling) told me everything I needed to know" .
Old 16th April 2019, 06:54 AM   #211
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I was just thinking about Joe Biden’s speculation back in October 2016. He wondered if Donald Trump was too stupid to understand the damage he is doing.
I don't think so. There was a story a while back about economic advisers explaining to Trump how much damage his tax cuts would ultimately do to the US economy, and him angrily saying that he didn't care because the consequences wouldn't come back on him until he was out of office anyway.

I mean, I'm sure there's plenty of details he doesn't understand, etc. But just saying "this will hurt" is something I'm sure he can understand. He just doesn't care.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:28 AM   #212
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So weird to watch Crazy Bernie on @FoxNews. Not surprisingly, @BretBaier and the “audience” was so smiley and nice. Very strange, and now we have @donnabrazile?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 07:32 AM   #213
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The House Intelligence and Financial Services Committees have subpoenaed Deutsche Bank re Trump
Old 16th April 2019, 07:33 AM   #214
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Goddamnit to Hell!

Quote:

President Trump's Re-Rlection Campaign Announces $30 Million Fundraising Haul In First Quarter Of 2019

President Donald Trump's re-election campaign announced Monday that it raised
more than $30 million in the first quarter of 2019, a total that outpaces all of his
Democratic rivals and indicates he will be well-resourced in his bid for a second
term in the Oval Office.

According to numbers released Monday morning, Trump's campaign took
in $30.3 million and has $40.8 million cash on hand, totals that surpass
the combined first-quarter hauls of the two most prolific fundraisers on
the Democratic side so far: Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Kamala Harris.

Looks like we'll not only have Trump for four more years.
But with the Ginsburg seat on the line, we'll have Trump
for forty more years after that.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:43 AM   #215
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Looks like we'll not only have Trump for four more years.
But with the Ginsburg seat on the line, we'll have Trump
for forty more years after that.
Apples and oranges. Funds raised during the primary isn't comparable to an entire party's re-election war chest. I imagine whoever comes out from the Democratic Party primary will have no trouble raising money.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:07 AM   #216
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Apples and oranges. Funds raised during the primary isn't comparable to an entire party's re-election war chest. I imagine whoever comes out from the Democratic Party primary will have no trouble raising money.
At this time, the Democratic fund raising has been distributed over how many candidates? Sure, the $30 mil is more than the top 2 democrats combined, but it obviously is not more than the top 3 democrats combined (or they would have said 3), and is certainly not more than the amount raised by all the democratic candidates.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #217
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Quote:
At this time, the Democratic fund raising has been distributed over how many candidates? Sure, the $30 mil is more than the top 2 democrats combined, but it obviously is not more than the top 3 democrats combined (or they would have said 3), and is certainly not more than the amount raised by all the democratic candidates.
It should also be noted that Trump has been in campaign mode since the 2016 election. The Democratic candidates have only really been in active campaign mode for a few months.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #218
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Here's the list. In golf, the last winners were Charles Sifford, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.
Yes, that's why I added the "to be fair" post.

I do think it's stupid to give Woods the Medal of Freedom. I think it's stupid to give the other golfers or any athletes (aside from hockey players, of course, but good luck finding a worthy American) the medal for their ability or promotion of the sport. If the reason is something else, perhaps even related to sport (such as significant involvement in encouraging physical fitness), that's another matter.

But I also think that it was a bit of confirmation bias to bother posting a reaction to this nothing announcement. Obama gave the medal to actors, say, and I'm not sure that this is an appropriate award for them (again, aside from other activities which might be relevant), but I doubt I reacted with anything more than a shrug. When one loathes somebody, reaction to their petty faults can be exaggerated, as I think mine was in this case.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 08:36 AM   #219
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

So weird to watch Crazy Bernie on @FoxNews. Not surprisingly, @BretBaier and the “audience” was so smiley and nice. Very strange, and now we have @donnabrazile?
Is he really dissing Fox News for interviewing Democrats?

Okay, I know that pointing out Trumpian hypocrisy is like shooting fish in a barrel, but doesn't he complain about one-sided journalism?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 08:41 AM   #220
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Hurr durr-taxes are hard.

S. Sanders: “I don't think Congress, particularly this group of congressmen and women, are smart enough to look through the thousands of pages that I would assume President Trump's taxes will be,"
Old 16th April 2019, 08:47 AM   #221
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Is he really dissing Fox News for interviewing Democrats?

Okay, I know that pointing out Trumpian hypocrisy is like shooting fish in a barrel, but doesn't he complain about one-sided journalism?
Mostly that he's not receiving it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 09:01 AM   #222
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

S. Sanders: “I don't think Congress, particularly this group of congressmen and women, are smart enough to look through the thousands of pages that I would assume President Trump's taxes will be,"
Yeah, quite an idiotic statement.

The fact is, there are several congress-critters with a background in accounting, including at least 2 (one democrat, one republican) who sit on the same committee that requested the tax returns.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsp...nts/ar-BBVWcVw

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 09:08 AM   #223
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The question of how competent Congress is is entirely beside the point: they have the power of oversight and you can't block them from doing their job.
Whether they are doing it well or badly is a completely different question.
Old 16th April 2019, 10:18 AM   #224
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump doesn't Tweet:
(or at least, hasn't yet)

The Notre Dame Cathedral fire has quickly generated billions of dollars for its restoration. Why can't the Dems do the same for my Wall???
Old 16th April 2019, 10:44 AM   #225
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

It's fun how he always says the quiet part loud. Here he is referring to Fox News and himself as we.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 11:48 AM   #226
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ah, trying to get the evangelicals to support him. What a standardbearer for Christian values this guy's been!
Except they actually think he has. The most biblical president ever, in fact: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/miche...b098b9a2d91706
Old 16th April 2019, 01:39 PM   #227
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Won't somebody rid him of this meddlesome minority?
Old 16th April 2019, 02:02 PM   #228
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In other news, former Congresswoman Michele Bachmann praised Donnie in an interview on the "Understanding The Times” radio program. Bachmann turned on the overdrive, stating:
Quote:
"He is highly biblical, and I would say to your listeners, we will in all likelihood never see a more godly, biblical president again in our lifetime. So we need to be not only praying for him, we need to support him, in my opinion, in every possible way that we can.” secondnexus link with audio
When they refer to Trump as him, at least they don't capitalize it as Him. Not yet, anyway.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:18 PM   #229
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Michele Bachmann remains mentally deranged. Highlights at 11.
Old 16th April 2019, 02:39 PM   #230
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Is being a serial adulterer and liar "biblical" and "godly"?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:52 PM   #231
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is being a serial adulterer and liar "biblical" and "godly"?
In the Old Testament, yes.
Old 16th April 2019, 02:58 PM   #232
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Quote:
we will in all likelihood never see a more godly, biblical president again in our lifetime

Man, can you imagine how Pence must feel when he hears something like that?
Old 16th April 2019, 03:00 PM   #233
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Man, can you imagine how Pence must feel when he hears something like that?
All tingly and nervous that woman may come into his office alone?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 03:38 PM   #234
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In the Old Testament, yes.
And God did smite them mightily!

(Let's hope the same happens to Trump.)
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 04:31 PM   #235
Venom
Master Poster

Every time I see the thread title it just cracks me up on the inside.

Never in my wildest dreams in 2015 did I think this goof would ever be president. A 14-volume and counting thread on this man's presidency, otherwise Trump threads would flood the subforum every week. It's comical.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #236
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Every time I see the thread title it just cracks me up on the inside.

Never in my wildest dreams in 2015 did I think this goof would ever be president. A 14-volume and counting thread on this man's presidency, otherwise Trump threads would flood the subforum every week. It's comical.
Remember when the mods didn't think we needed a general Trump thread?
Old 16th April 2019, 04:54 PM   #237
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Remember when the mods didn't think we needed a general Trump thread?
No, no, no....he only thinks he's General Trump!
Old 16th April 2019, 04:59 PM   #238
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, no, no....he only thinks he's General Trump!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:14 PM   #239
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In other news, former Congresswoman Michele Bachmann praised Donnie in an interview on the "Understanding The Times” radio program. Bachmann turned on the overdrive, stating:

When they refer to Trump as him, at least they don't capitalize it as Him. Not yet, anyway.
Biblical in the sense of raining down Hellfire and destruction with much lamenting and renting of clothes?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:43 PM   #240
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Honestly, I can just about hear the sarcasm dripping off that statement, because of who it is aimed at. I'm certain Trump's taxes will be only a handful of pages each, based on previous returns already seen. And that the vast majority of congressfolk would be more than capable of correctly interpreting them.

This is a nice jab at Trump.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics