ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jon stewart

Old 11th June 2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Jon Stewart for President...

Just a thought...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Jon Stewart chokes up, gives angry speech to Congress about the shameful treatment of 9/11 first responders.

OK, he isn't actually running for office (AFAIK), but damn.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Just watched this. Powerful oration and arguments from Stewart. Hopefully it'll make a difference. I'd vote for him!
Old 11th June 2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Venom
Master Poster

I'd vote for him! I hope he runs but doesn't look like he has any intention to in the future.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 03:34 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Can't be any worse than Donald Trump.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Can't be any worse than Donald Trump.
To be fair, a five day dead raccoon couldn't be worse than Donald Trump.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 03:42 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
To be fair, a five day dead raccoon couldn't be worse than Donald Trump.
Actually, that would be a lot worse than Donald Trump, when you think about it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 03:42 PM   #7
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The sad fact is that most nations eat up and spit out individuals who put their life on the line to protect public safety or who chooses the military as a profession.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Just a thought...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Jon Stewart chokes up, gives angry speech to Congress about the shameful treatment of 9/11 first responders.

OK, he isn't actually running for office (AFAIK), but damn.
Not passing these bills is beyond comprehension.
Old 11th June 2019, 04:07 PM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Are you kidding? The only thing worse than the stupid bitch not governing is when the stupid bitch tries to govern. I'd prefer a staff of technocrats ignoring a dead raccoon to the abject failure getting in their way that we have now.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:33 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not passing these bills is beyond comprehension.
Where's Trump and his 'emergency' funding?
Old 11th June 2019, 05:17 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Are you kidding? The only thing worse than the stupid bitch not governing is when the stupid bitch tries to govern. I'd prefer a staff of technocrats ignoring a dead raccoon to the abject failure getting in their way that we have now.
Dead raccoons are not currently eligible for the office. If a dead raccoon is at the head of the Executive branch, its fitness to govern is the least of your worries, and the problems facing the nation would be far beyond anything the Trump Administration has done or is likely to do. Assuming the nation even still existed.

No, when you think about it, a dead raccoon would be much worse than Donald Trump. You'd pretty much need a literal apocalypse just to make it possible in the first place.
Old 11th June 2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Dead raccoons are not currently eligible for the office. If a dead raccoon is at the head of the Executive branch, its fitness to govern is the least of your worries, and the problems facing the nation would be far beyond anything the Trump Administration has done or is likely to do. Assuming the nation even still existed.
Actually, itseems to me the systemic breakdown and manipulation would be remarkably similar to what gave us Trump.

And a dead raccoon would be less destructive.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:21 PM   #13
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No, when you think about it, a dead raccoon would be much worse than Donald Trump. You'd pretty much need a literal apocalypse just to make it possible in the first place.
All valid points. However I stand by my statement that a dead raccoon would be preferable to The stupid bitch we have now. A dead raccoon being dead is preferable to the stupid bitch in chief trying to govern. Just let the career civil service and senior executive staff run things and we'll see if we can't do better next time around.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:29 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

All valid points. However I stand by my statement that a dead raccoon would be preferable to The stupid bitch we have now. A dead raccoon being dead is preferable to the stupid bitch in chief trying to govern. Just let the career civil service and senior executive staff run things and we'll see if we can't do better next time around.
If a dead racoon is in the Oval Office, your vaunted deep state government has already failed.

Unless your idea is that the dead raccoon is a coup by the career civil service and senior executive staff. In that case, it seems to me that the cure is worse than the disease.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:35 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

How about an undead raccoon? A vampire raccoon would possess many advantages which could be strategically employed to the benefit of the nation. Also it would look super cute in a little cape, something that hasn't been truthfully said of any president since Zachary Taylor.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:41 PM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If a dead racoon is in the Oval Office, your vaunted deep state government has already failed.

Unless your idea is that the dead raccoon is a coup by the career civil service and senior executive staff. In that case, it seems to me that the cure is worse than the disease.
Hmm...let's put whatever dead animal is on the stupid bitches head in charge for a day and see what happens. I'm not hard over on a raccoon. It could be whatever his two nits who grew into lice shot in Africa and gave him to cover his scalp.

Last edited by Craig4; 11th June 2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:48 PM   #17
phunk
Illuminator

You're nitpicking over how it got into office while ignoring the point that someone doing nothing in office would be preferable to what we have now.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:48 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
How about an undead raccoon? A vampire raccoon would possess many advantages which could be strategically employed to the benefit of the nation. Also it would look super cute in a little cape, something that hasn't been truthfully said of any president since Zachary Taylor.
Totally different proposition. If undead raccoons are walking the earth, all bets are off.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:48 PM   #19
Baylor
Suspended

Hmm...let's put whatever dead animal is on the stupid bitches head in charge for a day and see what happens. I'm not hard over on a raccoon. It could be whatever his two nits who grew into lice shot in Africa and gave him to cover his scalp.
Ha! Spoken like a true Trump supporter.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:49 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm...let's put whatever dead animal is on the stupid bitches head in charge for a day and see what happens.
Okay, sure. Only, how do you propose to do that, without destroying the nation this animal is supposed to govern, and probably the rest of the world at the same time?
Old 11th June 2019, 06:50 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
You're nitpicking over how it got into office while ignoring the point that someone doing nothing in office would be preferable to what we have now.
That's my secret, Cap. Doing nothing is always preferable in government.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:51 PM   #22
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And by the way, what in the actual **** do you think happens while the stupid bitch in chief is watching hours of news or spending huge chunks of his presidency at his own resorts? If you're really worried about a coup by the civil service and career executives, maybe don't put a lazy son of a bitch in the Whitehouse who can't be bothered to lead the branch he was elected to.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:55 PM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, sure. Only, how do you propose to do that, without destroying the nation this animal is supposed to govern, and probably the rest of the world at the same time?
An Oval Office occupied by a dead animal is far less likely to end civilization than the traitor you voted for trying to govern. He should take his cues from the dead rodent. The country would be better off if he just stopped participating.
Old 11th June 2019, 07:18 PM   #24
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Make it a Republican and you won't care anymore.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:50 PM   #25
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I can't help feeling that all the raccoon talk has taken us somewhat off topic.

I was hoping that people might chime in on the idea of Jon Stewart running for President. Would he be better than the current Democratic candidates? Would he beat Trump? If he did, would Trump explode?
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 08:08 PM   #26
Tero
Graduate Poster

Government is a complex structure of politicians in congress and presidents and lobbyists. You can't just have amateurs messing up a working system. Monsanto writes the farm bills, politicians make sure their hog farmers are in it and Trump signs it.

Trump is just an all in one lobbyist and president wrapped in one. He is there to honor himself.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 08:15 PM   #27
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I was hoping that people might chime in on the idea of Jon Stewart running for President. Would he be better than the current Democratic candidates? Would he beat Trump? If he did, would Trump explode?
He would make a great President and that is why he'll never run.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 08:28 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Absolutely, absolutely and absolutely
Old 11th June 2019, 08:35 PM   #29
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
He would make a great President and that is why he'll never run.
I guess that's true. Maybe he could run with a sensible VP choice, win in a landslide, then resign. I would love to see that, especially if he resigned for totally legit medical reasons, like bone spurs...
Old 11th June 2019, 08:38 PM   #30
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Nonsense! You should have seen Chester Alan Arthur playing Batman at White House Halloween parties! He was so BITCHIN'!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 09:36 PM   #31
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Which is why his hair dresser cleans and dresses that dead ferret on his head every FOUR days.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 12:42 AM   #32
Tolls
Illuminator

Are you chanelling Bob?
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 12:50 AM   #33
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by phunk View Post

Trump's making deals. Not only did he get Mexico to pay for a wall along its northern border, they're now amassing troops on their southern border. “I promise you, I’m much smarter than Jonathan Leibowitz, I mean Jon Stewart, who by the way is totally overrated.” - Donald J. Trump

ETA: “Little Jon Stewart is a pussy, and would be hopeless in a debate with me.” -- Donald J. Trump

Last edited by Cain; 12th June 2019 at 12:52 AM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:46 AM   #34
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that the solution to our problems is turning politics over to celebrities.

On other hand, if we're going that way, Jon Stewart seems like an actually pretty reasonable choice.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 02:07 AM   #35
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump's making deals. Not only did he get Mexico to pay for a wall along its northern border, they're now amassing troops on their southern border. “I promise you, I’m much smarter than Jonathan Leibowitz, I mean Jon Stewart, who by the way is totally overrated.” - Donald J. Trump

ETA: “Little Jon Stewart is a pussy, and would be hopeless in a debate with me.” -- Donald J. Trump
I couldn't care less about a "deal". We don't need a wall. The logical response to illegal immigration would be to reach out to Mexico and create a cross country social and economic framework that would address the problems inherent to illegal immigration. In other words help Mexico become autonomous and economically upwardly mobile and you automatically solve the illegal immigration problem. First is to start with the drug war...

The xenophobic, fascist response would be to imply those escaping the turmoil are "criminals and rapist" and the need to build a wall to keep these savages out. A little too Hitlery for my blood..
Old 12th June 2019, 03:58 AM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

While obviously better than Trump, that seems like too low of a bar. Governing requires more than being the critic. It's an important role, pointing out where government has failed. However, I don't see him actually managing the Executive Branch or coming up with workable solutions on issues with Congress.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:05 AM   #37
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

While didn't think that my remark would take over the thread, let me attempt to rectify that with the following.

Jon is a very charismatic and passionate speaker, which would be good for being a President. I also think that he had likely forgotten more about civics and politics that Trump has ever known, however, and it's a big however. I don't think that he has the experience that it would take to do the job even if he actually wanted to do it, and that is one of the glaring issues with Trump.

Where I think he would do a lot better is that he would actually surround himself with people that did know what they were doing and weren't there to destroy the very institutions they are being put in charge of.

So over all, I think that he would be a very popular President because of his charisma, but things would certainly be better overall, but I suspect he'd quit after one term and I do think that there are people better qualified to do the job that would do it better, and who want to do it.

I would certainly back him over Oprah though!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:09 AM   #38
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Dead Raccoon 2020
You've had Trump, now try the next best thing!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:28 AM   #39
3point14
Pi

Have you stated in the past that you prefer a government that does nothing - that a government in perpetual deadlock was almost ideal??

Perhaps it was you, I can't remember, my apologies if I have the wrong dude, it's just that a Dead racoon would be ace for that.

(Crikey, metaphor seldom gets this level of sincere analysis. It's like doing something to an equine that's not living any more. Or something.)

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 12th June 2019 at 04:33 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:16 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Dead Raccoon 2020
You've had Trump, now try the next best thing!
Next worst.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics