ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th June 2019, 05:30 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

'Culturally significant' handprints may be fake

This is an interesting case, my own view is that in this case the best option is to assume the artifacts are real, until a full investigation is done.

Quote:
Multiple red hand prints found in a cave near Glenbrook train station, that an expert said were Indigenous and "culturally significant", have been exposed as fakes created by teenage brothers in the 1960s.

The rock art was discovered during work to remove a 20-tonne boulder that threatened the Blue Mountains railway line, west of Sydney, in late March. It extended the weeks of delays on the train line as buses replaced services.

An archaeologist, with a specialty in Indigenous heritage, said at the time that the hand prints were "culturally significant".

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...ake/ar-AACJjfC

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 09:01 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
This is an interesting case, my own view is that in this case the best option is to assume the artifacts are real, until a full investigation is done.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...ake/ar-AACJjfC
Fair play and big ups to the bloke for owning up and writing the letter.

Obviously does care that historical record isn't messed with
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

Culturally significant? What a 13 year old can do in an afternoon?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Myles
Thinker

Sooner or later, teenaged pranksters get caught red handed.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 11:49 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
If they were real, yes

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 12:04 AM   #6
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Well the technique for creating red ochre handprints is pretty simple and after a few years there'd be little to distinguish them from handprints that are hundreds or maybe even tens of thousands of years old at least for an initial investigation.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:36 AM   #7
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well the technique for creating red ochre handprints is pretty simple and after a few years there'd be little to distinguish them from handprints that are hundreds or maybe even tens of thousands of years old at least for an initial investigation.

Except if I'm reading various sources correctly, the aboriginal technique created (technically) a stencil rather than a contact print. The ochre was "sprayed" (by blowing it from the mouth) around the hand, leaving the shape of the hand as blank rock outlined by a halo of pigment. Whereas the kids just put the ochre on their hands and made prints.
Old 13th June 2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Tolls
Illuminator

Yes, but that wouldn't have meant it wasn't a significant find, had it been real.

It just means that maybe they should have spent a little more time checking.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events