ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cheetahs , vultures

Old 17th November 2017, 06:44 PM   #121
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
That doesn't make sense. Two non-harmonious species can co-exist and both still eat.
Yes and that way they naturally balance each other.
Old 17th November 2017, 06:51 PM   #122
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Due to non A&F nature of science. We can't see so many variations in science.
Wrong.
Old 17th November 2017, 06:59 PM   #123
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
The eventual collapse of one or both of them. Take the problem of invasive species. They conflict with native species until either they achieve an equilibrium (a balance) or one drives out/destroys the other.
You are starting to sound like Kumar - pure Gibberish.
Old 18th November 2017, 05:17 AM   #124
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
You need to read some Kumar threads. Good luck.

It means Absolute and Final.

Or that's what the words mean. In reality it's meaningless.
It it not in my signature?
Old 18th November 2017, 05:21 AM   #125
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
We need to look validity of different things at different levels. Say we started from 0/1 and now it is 80. So there can be so many variations in between these levels. Grossly, Prime/basic, intermediate and gross/current level. Hence there can be MPOVs due to it.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:08 AM   #126
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

How various Biological species can exist unless there is some harmony or balance among them?
Some balance, some fluctuate, some go extinct. It's all part of nature in reality. There is no actual purpose and no actual balance.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 09:09 AM   #127
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

The "balance" of nature is however things happen to be at a given moment. And nature is perpetually changing.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 09:11 AM   #128
fagin
Illuminator

It it not in my signature?
Which is meaningless too.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:19 AM   #129
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Yes and that way they naturally balance each other.
Balance in nature lesson 1: the stork

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 02:37 PM   #130
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

nm
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 02:59 PM   #131
IXP
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Not rancid, but fermented and dried:

Kęstur hįkarl

It must be good:
I tried "rotted shark". Pretty bad, but not the worst thing I have ever tasted. And the Puffin was quite edible.

IXP
Old 18th November 2017, 08:51 PM   #132
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Yes.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:03 PM   #133
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Today I saw a feature about a cheetah mother struggling to feed a litter of six (!) cubs. While they were eating she chased away the gathering vultures.

I started to wonder why she didn't kill a few of them. Pretty free food as they walked (well, lurched) right up close.

I haven't read the thread but I have to assume that the energy cost of trying to eat a vulture isn't worth the risk that it'll just fly away.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #134
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Basic ecological science. And conforms to real world ecological observations.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #135
Roboramma
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Basic ecological science. And conforms to real world ecological observations.
It's certainly true that systems tend to find some sort of balance. This is very far from the idea that Kumar is presenting.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology