ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , E. Jean Carroll , rape charges , Trump controversies

Old 28th June 2019, 12:23 AM   #81
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
As I noted above, it's the media that pulled out the story from the book, it was never promoted and Trump's name apparently only appears once in the entire thing. I believe that it was the New York Times Book Reviewer that broke the story. If it's supposed to have been a publicity stunt for the book, it seems a really odd way to do it. Even more so that she was reluctant to discuss it at first.
Did you see the book excerpt she published in New York magazine?

https://www.thecut.com/2019/06/donal...deous-men.html

It's most definitely being used to promote sales of the book.
Old 28th June 2019, 12:32 AM   #82
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why should the number of allegations matter?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Really? Is that a serious question?
It absolutely is.

I dunno. Maybe this is a math problem for you? X unrpoven allegations = Y proven allegations? Should I ask you to show your work?

---

Should I ask you if you see how such a system could obviously be gamed by people who are long on hate and short on evidence?

No, it's not a math problem for me but it's obviously a reading comprehension problem for you as I did not say the number of allegations PROVE anything. But the number of women making similar allegations certainly adds more credibility.

Let's say 9 year old Bobby goes to his teacher and says "Joey hit me on the playground." Nobody saw it and there are no marks on Bobby. Joey says he didn't do it. Does Joey get detention for hitting Bobby? No. It's a 'he said, he said' situation. But then 21 of Bobby's classmates come forward and tell the teacher that Joey has also hit them on the playground but they were afraid to tell because Joey was bigger than them. Do those 21 kids coming forward PROVE Joey hit Bobby? No. But,who do you think is more credible? The 22 kids or Bobby?

But you know what I find the most sad? That this should even have to be explained to you.

Sadly, Trump was not wrong when assessed the blind loyalty of his base. He can do anything and they'll bend over and not only take it, but thank him for it while he's doing it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:35 AM   #83
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think you're right. It's the feeling of power that drives all trolls.
They also get off on the attention they receive.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:41 AM   #84
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Fwiw, another interview with Carroll:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ald-trump.html
Old 28th June 2019, 01:01 AM   #85
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yeah, that totally makes sense. The press is dropping this story because they want to protect Trump.
The press isn't 'dropping this story' at all. It's being covered quite extensively. FOX is downplaying it and FOX's Tucker Carlson is basically calling Carroll a liar.
The conservative New York Post, whose former editor and current adviser Col Allan is a Trump friend and supporter, ordered the story pulled and it just disappeared. But other media outlets are definitely giving it a lot of attention.
Old 28th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #86
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Much like many rapists, theprestige doesn't seem to distinguish between the two things:
1) finding the idea of rape sexy, i.e. the sexual fantasy where the woman actually decides for herself who is 'raping' her and how since it's all in her head, and
2) finding actual rape sexy.
No wonder it was so important to him to ruin the thread about the motivation of sexual coercers.
Did you actually just compare the prestige to a rapist? How is that allowed?
Old 28th June 2019, 04:48 AM   #87
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It seems that Ziggurat and theprestige are among that small group of people whose criteria for a credible accusation of rape requires....

1. An immediate report to the Police
2. A video and/or eyewitness to the rape
3. A positive sexual assault kit
4. DNA evidence
5. The alleged victim must be able to recount, without error or omission, the exact place and time of the alleged rape
6. The alleged victim must be able to recount, without error or omissions, every minute, excruciating detail of the rape.

If any of the above is not present, the victim is making it up

With the standards Ziggurat and theprestige are asking, Bill Cosby, Harvey Winestain and Rolf Harris would never have been brought to Justice.
Old 28th June 2019, 05:19 AM   #88
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The press isn't 'dropping this story' at all. It's being covered quite extensively. FOX is downplaying it and FOX's Tucker Carlson is basically calling Carroll a liar.
The conservative New York Post, whose former editor and current adviser Col Allan is a Trump friend and supporter, ordered the story pulled and it just disappeared. But other media outlets are definitely giving it a lot of attention.
As they should. I believe her.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:21 AM   #89
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The incident with Trump is being used to promote sales of the book. Okay but why does it follow that means it's untrue? It's her life, her story. Let her promote what she wants to promote.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:27 AM   #90
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The incident with Trump is being used to promote sales of the book. Okay but why does it follow that means it's untrue? It's her life, her story. Let her promote what she wants to promote.
Publishers promote autobiography with bold claim that it contains autobiographical material.

Water remains wet, Trump continues b.s.-ing.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:30 AM   #91
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Within the last few months, we had an all-day seminar or the problems attendant to sex crimes.
Among these we might list the 6-point criteria listed by Smartcooky.... Every one of these is problematic in actual practice.
Very often no report is made as the victim goes through a period of adjustment to the trauma. With men, the median age for reporting child sex abuse is 30 years....

Seldom is there any visual evidence or any witnesses.

Not only does the victim often not go to the hospital, even when she does and a “rape kit” is generated... There is a sorry history of mishandling this evidence by police.

Often, the first instinct is to go home and bathe thoroughly.... DNA evidence is lost.

Due to trauma, the victim’s ability to recount the incident accurately is severely compromised. PTSD symptoms are common. Recollection of the time and place, or of the incident itself, is often faulty.

I’ve been in the business long enough to recall the horrid way that rape victims were treated in the past... The general snarky comment being... “Oh, another failure to pay...”

Unless the victim had been severely beaten or suffered other severe trauma, rape allegations were seldom given any credence.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:42 AM   #92
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Begging the question.

You can't have a pattern of behavior without documented instances of that behavior.

The only documented pattern of behavior we have so far is the pattern of Trump haters to make unsubstantiated allegations.
Sure, documented instances: well over 20 women alleging Trump’s abuses. And Stormy Daniels, Karen McDougal, etc., all lent weight by his “Access Hollywood” boasting.

I wasn’t aware they were each and every one “Trump haters,” but even if they were, it would not negate their individual stories nor their collective number indicating a behavioral pattern.
Old 28th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #93
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Does it follow that it's untrue? Of course not. Does it follow that there it is reason to doubt? Of course. Surely you understand that, don't you?

It provides a motivation to lie. She will make money off of making that allegation. She will be wealthier than she is now because she made that allegation. The vast majority of people in the United States would never have heard of her or her book had she not made the allegation. As a result of the allegation, a whole heck of a lot of people will have heard of her and her book, and some people will decide to buy the book. That's motive to lie.

Does that mean she's lying? Of course not, but it's a piece of background knowledge that has to weigh as a factor when trying to decide whether she's telling the truth. It's reason to at least be skeptical.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:55 AM   #94
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Does it follow that it's untrue? Of course not. Does it follow that there it is reason to doubt? Of course. Surely you understand that, don't you?

It provides a motivation to lie. She will make money off of making that allegation. She will be wealthier than she is now because she made that allegation. The vast majority of people in the United States would never have heard of her or her book had she not made the allegation. As a result of the allegation, a whole heck of a lot of people will have heard of her and her book, and some people will decide to buy the book. That's motive to lie.

Does that mean she's lying? Of course not, but it's a piece of background knowledge that has to weigh as a factor when trying to decide whether she's telling the truth. It's reason to at least be skeptical.
She wasn't promoting a book when she told her two friends about the incident just after it happened.

Unless they are also lying, of course. Maybe they'll get a cut? I mean, that's skeptical thinking, innit?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:05 AM   #95
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Sure, documented instances: well over 20 women alleging Trump’s abuses. And Stormy Daniels, Karen McDougal, etc., all lent weight by his “Access Hollywood” boasting.
Not to mention boasting about getting away with voyeurism.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7357866.html
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:32 AM   #96
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
You are being extremely naive if you really believe that.
Please demonstrate this issue was brought to the forefront as part of the book’s promotional campaign.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:38 AM   #97
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I think that would be considered consummated rape.
Yeah, but at least he wasn’t sniffing her hair in front of people!*

*Please be assured I am not offering a whataboutism but rather injecting the discussion with a dose of levity.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:44 AM   #98
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Yeah, that totally makes sense. The press is dropping this story because they want to protect Trump.
That’s right, “the press” (ooga booga) should just toss aside a credible rape accusation about the man who’s currently...let me check my notes...president of the United States.

To paraphrase TBD (R.I.P.), leave Donald alone!
Old 28th June 2019, 06:54 AM   #99
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That’s right, “the press” (ooga booga) should just toss aside a credible rape accusation about the man who’s currently...let me check my notes...president of the United States.

To paraphrase TBD (R.I.P.), leave Donald alone!
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 07:12 AM   #100
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

adjective

1 capable of being believed; believable
2 worthy of belief or confidence; trustworthy

”To the pain.” - Westley
Old 28th June 2019, 07:17 AM   #101
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

adjective

1 capable of being believed; believable
2 worthy of belief or confidence; trustworthy

”To the pain.” - Westley
Do you really think Vizzini's problem was that he didn't know the dictionary definition?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 07:24 AM   #102
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
She wasn't promoting a book when she told her two friends about the incident just after it happened.

Unless they are also lying, of course. Maybe they'll get a cut? I mean, that's skeptical thinking, innit?
Yeah, in order to continue on this, Trumpets have to go to the level of birther conspiracy. Remember how the birth announcement in the Honolulu newspaper was not sufficient, and was all part of a massive ploy by Obama's mother?

It's that all over again.

Birthers will birther.
Old 28th June 2019, 07:45 AM   #103
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Do you really think Vizzini's problem was that he didn't know the dictionary definition?
Foolish me, citing an authoritative reference.

Why don’t you share with us what you really think?
Old 28th June 2019, 08:05 AM   #104
wareyin
Philosopher

Vizzini? No. Zigg? Likely yes.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 12:50 PM   #105
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Please demonstrate this issue was brought to the forefront as part of the book’s promotional campaign.
https://www.thecut.com/2019/06/donal...deous-men.html
Old 29th June 2019, 05:10 PM   #106
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No, its not because they want to "protect Trump" its because they have seen how many of these previous allegations come up, and they have seen how none of them ever seem to stick to "Teflon Donald", and they understand that his base, like you, just handwave it away as if nothing happened.

The Press appear to have "Trump Rape Allegation Fatigue"

Last edited by smartcooky; 29th June 2019 at 05:19 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 08:56 PM   #107
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

A book excerpt in “The Cut” (whatever that is) is not anything more than a book excerpt. There’s no way to tell by way of your link if the excerpt was part of a promotional campaign (as in, highlighted in a press release and other parts of a press pack generated by the publisher) or selected for publication by the website’s editor(s).
Old 30th June 2019, 12:05 AM   #108
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

A bit weak. Come on, you can do better!

What's the real reason the press is 'dropping this story'? (except they aren't)

Here are a few ideas to get you started:-

- Soros and Pelosi paid them to drop it, so they could accuse Trump of trying to kill the story.

- The story is fake news, and the real press (Fox and NY Post) pulled it when they found out.

- She's not their type. And anyway it was legitimate rape.

- Look, over there!
Old 30th June 2019, 12:07 AM   #109
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Oh Puhhleeaz.

The only reason anyone on this thread has ever heard of this book is because it says she was raped by Donald Trump. If it had been a book about 20 awful men that she had encountered in her life, it wouldn't rate a review at Huffington Post, much less multiple interviews on all the major new outlets (except one). So, the idea that she isn't using that story for the publicity is just bizarre. Of course she is. That doesn't mean the story isn't true, but it does mean that there's a reason for making up the story.

I've been thinking about her two friends and their contemporaneous accounts. It seems to me there are really only two realistic possibilities. Either she is telling the truth, or she is prone to bizarre flights of fancy. Now, I've met people who are prone to bizarre flights of fancy.There are strange people who live Walter Mittyesque fantasy lives, and even share some of their adventures with their friends. A friend of mine died tragically young and at his funeral I mentioned to another friend, who knew him better than I did, that he had told me a story about encountering Claude Lemieux when they were both high school hockey players. The man I was talking to said, "You believed the Claude Lemieux story?!?" Apparently he was prone to all sorts of flights of fancy, and regularly regaled his friends with stories of encounters with famous people.

So, is E. Jean Carroll that sort? The people who know her well could answer that. The people I've known who make up Very Interesting tales of their lives rarely make up just one. If she made up a story about being raped by Donald Trump and shared it with two friends, either she's telling the truth, or her friends and acquaintances would know that she has a habit of stretching the truth.

Of course, it's possible that reporters have asked around and discovered that is, in fact, the case., and that's why this story hasn't gotten much traction.

As for the story itself, there are just a couple of items that are really difficult for me to believe. It isn't at all hard to believe for me that Donald Trump would hit on a woman he didn't know, but it's a little bit hard for me to believe he would hit on a 52 year old woman that he didn't know. Yeah, some people are well preserved, but it's a stretch.

And then there's the empty lingerie department at Bergdorf's. Not impossible, but a little odd.

On balance, though, I would have to say her story is believable, and I would tend to believe it, unless those who know her were to say she makes up stuff about celebrity encounters all the time.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 30th June 2019 at 12:12 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 12:34 AM   #110
xjx388
Philosopher

A book excerpt in “The Cut” (whatever that is) is not anything more than a book excerpt. There’s no way to tell by way of your link if the excerpt was part of a promotional campaign (as in, highlighted in a press release and other parts of a press pack generated by the publisher) or selected for publication by the website’s editor(s).
Publishing excerpts, doing interviews, posing for pics . . . These are all are part of promoting a book. It’s quite obvious that this story came out as part of the promotion for her new book. Denying or downplaying this doesn’t help.

What I would say is that whether or not it’s a part of the promotion is inconsequential to the veracity of her allegation.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:29 AM   #111
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I give up.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:37 AM   #112
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Publishing excerpts, doing interviews, posing for pics . . . These are all are part of promoting a book. It’s quite obvious that this story came out as part of the promotion for her new book. Denying or downplaying this doesn’t help.
Yes. I can't believe that this is even being argued, given how obvious it is.

Quote:
What I would say is that whether or not it’s a part of the promotion is inconsequential to the veracity of her allegation.
Also true, but "veracity" is a hard thing to know for anyone who wasn't actually there in this case.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #113
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, the book isn't even released yet. It goes on sale tomorrow.

The only way the press would have excerpts from the book is if the publisher had given them to the media as part of the advanced promotional phase before the book is even released.
Old 30th June 2019, 02:18 PM   #114
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Publishers routinely send copies of books pre-release to reviewers or news outlets.
Quote:
One of the key elements of a professional book marketing and publicity campaign is the advance review copy (ARC)—also known as a galley—usually produced and distributed three to six months before the final book goes on sale. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 04:55 PM   #115
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Publishers routinely send copies of books pre-release to reviewers or news outlets.
Yes, thank you. It is part of a publicity and marketing campaign. The excerpt published by New York magazine was for that purpose.
Old 30th June 2019, 07:22 PM   #116
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Publishing excerpts, doing interviews, posing for pics . . . These are all are part of promoting a book. It’s quite obvious that this story came out as part of the promotion for her new book.
Would you, and others, please stop making a claim that you are not supporting?

Quote:
Denying or downplaying this doesn’t help.
”Help?”

The claim, essentially, is that E. Jean Carroll’s assertion of a sexual assault by Donald Trump should be suspect because it’s part of a book she’s selling. Except, the Trump mention is a very small passage in a full-length book (by a well-known, long-standing media figure), a passage that was picked up and featured by a magazine due to the newsworthiness of the alleged incident’s perpetrator. Once that happened it naturally attracted the attention of other media sites who sought out the author for their own interest in attracting eyeballs.

The Trump angle (mixed metaphor alert!) is a promotional dead end. Buying the book isn’t going to provide the reader access to more juicy Trump (ew) details.

With such minimal promotional value, it’s highly unlikely the publisher is going to be using the encounter to help spur sales. Especially with the encounter, once again, fully revealed by various others, therefore making it unnecessary to buy the book.

I could be wrong, but I’d need to see evidence more persuasive than, oh, c’mon, it’s so obvious!

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 30th June 2019 at 07:41 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 07:37 PM   #117
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

BTW, the book isn't even released yet. It goes on sale tomorrow.

The only way the press would have excerpts from the book is if the publisher had given them to the media as part of the advanced promotional phase before the book is even released.
You’re assuming excerpts were released rather than complete copies, from which a portion of portions were excerpted by one or more of its recipients.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 30th June 2019 at 07:46 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 10:56 AM   #118
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump angle (mixed metaphor alert!) is a promotional dead end. Buying the book isn’t going to provide the reader access to more juicy Trump (ew) details.

With such minimal promotional value, it’s highly unlikely the publisher is going to be using the encounter to help spur sales. Especially with the encounter, once again, fully revealed by various others, therefore making it unnecessary to buy the book.
People don't need to buy the book to find out those details in order for it to work as a promotional strategy. Much of advertising consists of simply getting people to know your product even exists. So if you get people to hear about the book based on the Trump allegations, some fraction of them may still buy the book based on its other contents when they wouldn't before just because they didn't hear about it at all.

How many people in this thread even heard about the book independently of this Trump angle? I know I didn't.
Old 1st July 2019, 11:07 AM   #119
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I hadn't even heard of this woman until her CNN interview blew up. This is the same credibility arc Dr Lee of the Yale group has to contend with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34plv1.jpg (84.6 KB, 5 views)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 11:32 AM   #120
wareyin
Philosopher

I hadn't even heard of this woman until her CNN interview blew up. This is the same credibility arc Dr Lee of the Yale group has to contend with.
How many of the other 2 dozen or so women had you heard of before their claims against Trump became public? Are they not believable because you hadn't heard of them, or because they are saying something you don't want to hear about your guy?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics