ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump appointees , Trump controversies

Old 8th February 2019, 03:36 PM   #81
sackett
Philosopher

Hey! Lay offa Donny!

Somebody upthread used the phrase "hiring practices."

Well, all right then! Dear Leader Tramp's still practicing! Jeez, give the guy a break fa chrissakes! He learnin' the ropes!

' N he allus WILL be! Not like some people that know EVERTHING.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:40 AM   #82
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Alexander Acosta... Labor secretary. Prior to that, he was a prosecutor.

Now, a judge has ruled that he broke the law when he was working on a case involving Jeffrey Epstein and some child sex cases.

From: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...er-acosta.html
A judge ruled Thursday that prosecutors, including Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta, violated federal law when they arranged a plea deal for the multimillionaire Jeffrey Epstein, who spent just 13 months in jail despite being accused of trafficking underage girls and personally abusing scores of young victims. According to the judge, the prosecutors violated the rights of Epstein’s victims by arranging the plea deal secretly.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:32 PM   #83
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Epstein had some wealthy and powerful friends, including Trump, Alan Dershowitz, and Bill Clinton. You have to wonder if investigation of others was also suppressed.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #84
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Stephen Moore... Picked by Trump for one of the Empty seats on the Federal Reserve.

However, from: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/25/polit...ump/index.html
"I'm kind of new to this game, frankly, so I'm going to be on a steep learning curve myself about how the Fed operates, how the Federal Reserve makes its decisions," Moore said Friday in an interview. "

So the guy who will be helping to guide U.S. monetary policy doesn't even know how monetary policy works.

By the way, Moore also one wrote a book "Bullish on Bush" where he praised the economic policies of George W. Bush. A few years later and the U.S. was stuck in its worst recession in over half a century.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:04 AM   #85
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As well as Trumponomics. Kiss Trump's backside, get a cushy job.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:17 AM   #86
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Moore picked by Trump for the Fed...
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As well as Trumponomics. Kiss Trump's backside, get a cushy job.
And don't forget, he also has written books about how bad Obama was, which is probably almost as good as praising Trump.

It should also be noted that when Obama was president, Moore criticized the low interest rate policy at the time, likening them to the effects of a drug addict on crack. Now that Trump is in charge, raising interest rates is something that requires the chairman of the fed to resign in disgrace.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fe...ear-2019-03-25

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th March 2019, 08:33 AM   #87
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Stephen Moore... Picked by Trump for one of the Empty seats on the Federal Reserve.

However, from: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/25/polit...ump/index.html
"I'm kind of new to this game, frankly, so I'm going to be on a steep learning curve myself about how the Fed operates, how the Federal Reserve makes its decisions," Moore said Friday in an interview. "

So the guy who will be helping to guide U.S. monetary policy doesn't even know how monetary policy works.
A little bit more on Stephen Moore...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/trum...ment-says.html
President Donald Trump's presumptive nominee for the Federal Reserve, Stephen Moore, owes more than $75,000 in unpaid federal income taxes and related penalties, court records reveal.

He should fit right in with all the other people involved with Trump who don't bother paying taxes.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 25th June 2019, 12:53 PM   #88
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some documents regarding the vetting of certain Administration officials has recently been uncovered. This vetting was done by the Republican party, and supposedly there were a lot of red flags.

Some of the more... interesting ones:
- Rex Tillerson (secretary of state)... deep russian ties
- Kris Kobach (advisory committee)... accusations of ties to white supremacy
- Scott Pruitt (EPA)... coziness with big energy companies
- Tom Price (Health and Human Services)... criticized for management ability
- Rudy Giuliani (adviser)... foreign business ties
- Gary Cohn (National Economic Council Director)...cited as having an "abrasive" style
- Seema Verma (Medicare services)... conflicts of interest
- Sonny Perdue (Agriculture)... conflicts of interest

https://www.businessinsider.com/leak...s-axios-2019-6

And keep in mind that this is the result of vetting by the republicans. Yet Trump decided to hire these people regardless.

On the other hand, the republican vetting did uncover some anti-Trump stuff (yet Trump still hired the people anyways.)

- Rick Perry (Energy): "Perry described Trumpism as a 'toxic mix of demagoguery, mean-spiritedness, and nonsense'"
- Nikki Haley, (U.N. ambassador): she'd said Trump is everything "we teach our kids not to do in kindergarten."

We are Groot - Groot
Old 25th June 2019, 03:41 PM   #89
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A little bit more on Stephen Moore...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/trum...ment-says.html
President Donald Trump's presumptive nominee for the Federal Reserve, Stephen Moore, owes more than $75,000 in unpaid federal income taxes and related penalties, court records reveal.

He should fit right in with all the other people involved with Trump who don't bother paying taxes.
Paying what you owe is for suckers.
Old 26th June 2019, 06:30 AM   #90
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Paying what you owe is for suckers.
And poor people.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:23 AM   #91
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

At least the Trump administration is into recycling...

From: https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...ist-blog-posts
...Democratic senators are pressuring Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Ben Carson on his department’s hiring of a former consumer bureau official under investigation for a series of racist blog posts. The senators asked the secretary in a letter released Monday to explain why and how Eric Blankenstein was hired to a legal position at HUD despite controversies that emerged in his previous job... He previously served as a policy director at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) until May. Blankenstein sparked a rebellion at the CFPB in September when The Washington Post revealed anonymous, racist blog posts he wrote in 2004...

Granted, unlike most of the people in the thread he doesn't seem to be a direct Trump selection; still, not exactly the type of guy a normal person would want in government. (And somewhere along the line, people in the Trump administration were fine with it.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th July 2019, 12:35 PM   #92
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Think I might have overlooked this one:

Patrick Shanahan (Secretary of defense, was acting for a while and was up for the position full time but withdrew)...
Under investigation by the pentagon for possibly lobbying for Boeing illegally.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/21/70544...or-boeing-ties

(Note that his is in addition to various incidents of domestic abuse within his family, although he may not have been the perpetrator there.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th July 2019, 04:30 PM   #93
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump sures loves to hire people with lots of baggage.
I full expect that he would want to hire people in tune with his ideology (if he has any aside from Donald Trump) but ,come one, he should be able find some who don't carry a ton of baggage with them.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 08:39 AM   #94
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So, Trump's latest pick for National security adviser may have some political baggage...

From: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-south-africa
Donald Trump’s new national security adviser attended a segregated university in South Africa...Robert O’Brien...went to the University of the Orange Free State under the South African apartheid system. O’Brien’s LinkedIn page says he was there in 1987, while still an undergraduate.

Yup... when you have a scholarship and a choice of hundreds of universities throughout the world, which one would YOU attend? Hey, lets pick one of the most racist!

(Although to be fair, he did work for the government under the Obama administration too, and there haven't been any other signs of him being racist that I'm aware of.)

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics