ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chicago incidents , Chicago politics , Rahm Emanuel

Old 14th December 2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Thunder
Banned

Is Rahm Emanuel qualified to be Mayor of Chicago?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101214/..._mayor_emanuel

The law clearly says all candidates must had their normal residency being within the Chicago city limits, within one year of election day.

Emanuel lived in Washington, D.C. during that time period.

What say you?

fact: he still owned a house in Chicago, but he rented it out to someone else.

fact: he registered to vote in Chicago.

Last edited by Thunder; 14th December 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Define "residency".

This is one for the lawyers to sort out.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Define "residency".

This is one for the lawyers to sort out.
i say its a 50/50 chance the court says no.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

He deserves it.
Old 14th December 2010, 06:41 PM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
i say its a 50/50 chance the court says no.
I say he gets on the ballot.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
He deserves it.
What a mean thing to say!
Old 14th December 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
He deserves it.
I deserve Rahm as my mayor why? What did I do?
Old 14th December 2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Thunder
Banned

I hope he becomes Mayor of the South Side.

Old 15th December 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Jalok
Critical Thinker

Depends on if his position at the White House falls into the same category as members of the military. You retain your residence status regardless of where the government sends you unless you specifically wish to change it. If it does not work that way then I'm sure his opponent(s) will be happy to have the election board disqualify him. But if they do not, can we look forward to:

"Why won't he show us his Long-Form Residency Certificate? What doe she have to hide?!!iiiieleventyone!!"

jalok

*considering my high armor and defenses along with half my spells having the word 'hammer' in them I am basically telling the mob that it is in fact hammer time and no he cannot touch this. - Cwalner
Jalok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
I deserve Rahm as my mayor why? What did I do?
Something about knife-raping a retarded nun, I think.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Aoidoi
Illuminator

http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101202.php

Quote:
Chapter 36, Section 3.2(a) of the Illinois Compiled Statutes includes the following provision:

A permanent abode is necessary to constitute a residence within the meaning of Section 3-1 [which says who's allowed to vote in Illinois]. No elector or spouse shall be deemed to have lost his or her residence in any precinct or election district in this State by reason of his or her absence on business of the United States, or of this State.
I think working directly for the President in the White House qualifies under that exemption.

I have no particular opinion of the man's political qualifications, but legally I think he's good to go.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2010, 03:10 PM   #12
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post

I think working directly for the President in the White House qualifies under that exemption.

I have no particular opinion of the man's political qualifications, but legally I think he's good to go.
I'd say case closed.

Old 17th December 2010, 05:07 AM   #13
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Isn't the real question is he corrupt enough to be mayor of Chicago?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2010, 05:09 AM   #14
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
If he passes this hurdle, yes.
Old 17th December 2010, 05:20 AM   #15
DC
Banned

He is working in the White House.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2010, 07:27 AM   #16
Region Rat
Stinky Cheese Eater

Don't worry. Chicago has a real fine on-the-job training program if he lacks the skills going in.
Old 17th December 2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Cicero
Banned

fact: he still owned a house in Chicago, but he rented it out to someone else.

fact: he registered to vote in Chicago.
fact: he rented the home to Rob Halpin who refuses to vacate the premises.

fact: Halpin was going to run against him for mayor of Chicago.

fact: Rahm spoke to Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to appoint longtime Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to fill Barack Obama’s Senate seat.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/12/...0161229170922/
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2010, 08:50 AM   #18
Aoidoi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
fact: he rented the home to Rob Halpin who refuses to vacate the premises.

fact: Halpin was going to run against him for mayor of Chicago.
Which doesn't seem particularly relevant to his legal qualifications

Quote:
fact: Rahm spoke to Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to appoint longtime Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to fill Barack Obama’s Senate seat.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/12/...0161229170922/
Er, so what? From the link
Quote:
A source told the Tribune that Emanuel delivered a list of "acceptable" Democrats to Blagojevich including Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, Illinois Veterans Affairs director Tammy Duckworth, state Comptroller Dan Hynes and U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky of Evanston, Ill.
Rahm delivered a list of suggested names and was apparently blown off. They have his conversations on tape and it does not appear he did anything illegal or (at least as far as I know) immoral. What's the point?

I mean, I think the guy is an ass and all, but that's practically a qualification on it's own.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2010, 08:55 AM   #19
Thunder
Banned

You would think GOPers would demand Rahm qualify for Mayor. Cause if he is disqualified, he may end up right back in the White House.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:31 AM   #20
Region Rat
Stinky Cheese Eater

You would think GOPers would demand Rahm qualify for Mayor. Cause if he is disqualified, he may end up right back in the White House.
You forgot to add the smiley at the end. People might think you're serious.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:50 AM   #21
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

He was on. Now he's off.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...manuel/?hpt=T2

Old 24th January 2011, 11:53 AM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Given that Obama first won office by getting his opponents thrown off the ballot on a technicality, I find this turn of events quite amusing.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 11:55 AM   #23
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Given that Obama first won office by getting his opponents thrown off the ballot on a technicality, I find this turn of events quite amusing.
Don't get too amused just yet. We've got another couple rounds of this.
Old 24th January 2011, 12:06 PM   #24
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Only in Teabaggerstan is following the law a "technicality".

Old 24th January 2011, 12:16 PM   #25
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Oh, this is getting good!

Tribune version of the story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4083659.story

eta: I bet Carol and Gery are dancing for joy now.

Last edited by WildCat; 24th January 2011 at 12:18 PM.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 12:38 PM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Only in Teabaggerstan is following the law a "technicality".
Ah yes, the ad hominem. Did I hit a little too close to home?
Old 24th January 2011, 01:22 PM   #27
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Ah yes, the ad hominem. Did I hit a little too close to home?
No, but it sounds like I did. Thou protesteth too much.

Old 24th January 2011, 01:42 PM   #28
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

What do you think will happen, Wildcat? I am not a resident of the City, so I haven't been paying close attention to this race.
Old 24th January 2011, 01:53 PM   #29
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
What do you think will happen, Wildcat? I am not a resident of the City, so I haven't been paying close attention to this race.
I think it all comes down to a definition of "residency". When he went off to work at the White House, did he maintain his Chicago residence? Did he rent it out? Sell it?

For example, I'm working on an out of town contract now. In the last 5 months (Sept-Jan), approx 150 days, I would say I've spent about 35-40 of them at my home in St. Louis. Am I still a resident of St Louis?

Old 24th January 2011, 01:56 PM   #30
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently an appeal is planned before COB today.

Old 24th January 2011, 01:57 PM   #31
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, but it sounds like I did. Thou protesteth too much.
Protest what? The fact that you engaged in an ad hominem attack against me? Sure, I "protested" that. Evidently, not only are you intent in engaging in ad hominem attacks, you're now claiming that such attacks are really legitimate debating tactics, and I do some wrong by objecting.

You're a class act, TCS.
Old 24th January 2011, 02:27 PM   #32
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Protest what? The fact that you engaged in an ad hominem attack against me? Sure, I "protested" that. Evidently, not only are you intent in engaging in ad hominem attacks, you're now claiming that such attacks are really legitimate debating tactics, and I do some wrong by objecting.
Evidence?

Old 24th January 2011, 02:28 PM   #33
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I think Gery Chico would be the front runner if the Illinois SC upholds the verdict... I can't imagine Carol Mosely-Braun getting elected. Not that she's much worse than Chico...

I think it all comes down to a definition of "residency". When he went off to work at the White House, did he maintain his Chicago residence? Did he rent it out? Sell it?

For example, I'm working on an out of town contract now. In the last 5 months (Sept-Jan), approx 150 days, I would say I've spent about 35-40 of them at my home in St. Louis. Am I still a resident of St Louis?
Apparently his big screwup was leasing out his house. His tenant refused to break his lease early (Emanuel renewed the lease for another year just before Daley announced he wouldn't run again, bad timing), and Rahm didn't even so much as rent a condo here in the meantime, which I think would have been enough.

Last edited by WildCat; 24th January 2011 at 02:29 PM.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 02:29 PM   #34
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Evidence?
Really, TCS?

Really?
Old 24th January 2011, 02:30 PM   #35
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Here's the ruling, so you real and armchair lawyers can read it: http://www.state.il.us/court/opinion...ry/1110033.pdf
Old 24th January 2011, 02:35 PM   #36
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post

The court ruling was that only applies for residency as far as voting goes. It doesn't apply to residency for candidate qualification purposes.

IOW, Rahm could vote here but he can't run for office. Until next election of course.
Old 24th January 2011, 02:43 PM   #37
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
I think Gery Chico would be the front runner if the Illinois SC upholds the verdict... I can't imagine Carol Mosely-Braun getting elected. Not that she's much worse than Chico...

Apparently his big screwup was leasing out his house. His tenant refused to break his lease early (Emanuel renewed the lease for another year just before Daley announced he wouldn't run again, bad timing), and Rahm didn't even so much as rent a condo here in the meantime, which I think would have been enough.
Wow, that is a screw up. If you rent your house to someone else, obviously you can no longer reside there.

Old 24th January 2011, 02:45 PM   #38
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Really, TCS?

Really?
Yep. I'd love to see the tortured logic.

Old 24th January 2011, 02:47 PM   #39
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

And if anyone's wondering, the Illinois SC is 5 Dem and 3 GOP justices and they are elected.

One of the Dems is Anne Burke, wife of powerful Chicago politician Ed Burke. Ed and Rahm are not friends...

One of the GOP justices is ex-Bears kicker Bob Thomas. Which means that 2 future state Supreme Court justices played for the '78-'81 Chicago Bears, the other being Alan Page who now sits on the bench in Minnesota.

Which is the only positive Bears news at the moment...
Old 24th January 2011, 02:53 PM   #40
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Wow, that is a screw up. If you rent your house to someone else, obviously you can no longer reside there.
On a sidenote to the embarrassment that is Chicago politics, that "someone" got talked into running for mayor by someone in the GOP (I think there's about 17 Chicago GOP members). He filed signatures to run, but dropped out after it was revealed that most of the signatures were bogus and had been gathered by a company that employed crackheads with long criminal records to gather the signatures.

I don't think Rahm will be renewing his lease...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics