ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chicago incidents , Chicago politics , Rahm Emanuel

Old 25th January 2011, 06:17 PM   #121
BeAChooser
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Whatever it is that they make in Chicago, it may be taste good, but it ain't pizza.
As long has it has anchovies (i.e., "dead fish") on it, it is.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2011, 06:55 PM   #122
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
I think the Board is more likely to hold up printing and perhaps delay early voting. The SC decision will probably come by Friday.
Nope, they're printing away as we speak. They had already printed 300,000 other ballots this morning.
Old 25th January 2011, 08:36 PM   #123
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Nope, they're printing away as we speak. They had already printed 300,000 other ballots this morning.
As they should. They have a lawful order from the Supreme Court.
Old 25th January 2011, 09:21 PM   #124
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I guess all the parts of the machine aren't pulling the same direction!
You are correct, I think.

When Daley announced that he wasn't running again, I think it triggered a HUGE power struggle behind the scenes within The Machine. I think we've only seen the very tip of the iceberg in public.
Old 25th January 2011, 09:24 PM   #125
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

It's factions of the machine fighting for control in the wake of Daley's retiring from politics.

Think of it as mob lieutenants fighting for control of the family after the godfather dies.
This, except that - as far as we know - no one is getting "whacked".
Old 25th January 2011, 09:25 PM   #126
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Really? I had heard that the IL SC told them to not print up any ballots
Old 25th January 2011, 09:56 PM   #127
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Really? I had heard that the IL SC told them to not print up any ballots
Not to print them WITHOUT Rahm's name on them.
Old 26th January 2011, 09:44 AM   #128
Aoidoi
Illuminator

So an 18 year old can run for President? Clearly, there are rules for office above and beyond the rules for voting.
That is an interesting point. I've always felt that it was a bit silly to set an arbitrary age limit for president, but it's in the constitution so there it is. The natural born thing has always sort of bugged me too, but neither seems to come up very often as an issue (Birthers being a somewhat unusual phenomenon). They do sort of stand out as unusual, though. There's hoops to jump through to register (signatures and forms), but things like religious restrictions have been ruled unconstitutional, and clearly discrimination based on sex or race are right out. I wonder if a town could declare it's mayor must be left handed and for it to stand?

Anyway, my pointless woolgathering aside... I would think the law would make it clear if the intent was for it to be a separate requirement from the residency rules, but I'm still not sure why that would be the intent.

Quote:
Why would a sitting Senator be ineligible to run for Mayor?
Because they spend most of their time in Washington. Particularly in the days before easy air travel they'd spend most of every year away from their district, thus calling their residency into jeopardy. Though apparently only in the case of running for mayor.

Quote:
Rahm wasn't called to military service, and the fireman actually maintained an apartment he could sleep in, something Rahm didn't do. He was fired because he didn't actually live there. Rahm can't claim to have lived in his home while it was leased to another family.

In both cases, there is no residency because neither the fireman nor Emanuel actually lived in the place they claimed to reside in.
But Rahm falls into the exception where the fireman doesn't. Rahm wasn't "claiming" he lived in Chicago while leasing his place. The facts aren't in dispute there. He's arguing that he falls under the exception so it doesn't matter if the place was being leased.

The fireman had a place, it's only apparent use was to pretend he lived where he didn't. I don't think Rahm was pretending anything in regards to his residency. He is a long time resident who was away on government business.

Quote:
We'll see what the court decides, but there's avery real chance that by the time it does so Emanuel will be on the printed ballot despite being declared ineligible. If that happens, any votes cast for him will be tossed out.
That'd be an amusing mess. The court cases could last for ages with suits and countersuits. I suspect they'd have to run the election over again on the basis of having effectively disenfranchised everyone who voted for Rahm. But that's just a guess. It'd take the lawyers dumptrucks full of money to sort it out.

ETA: Oh, Conan had a good line the other night about this. Something along the lines of "Rahm Emanual has been declared ineligible to run for Mayor in Chicago. By Chicago law he is still allowed to purchase the position." The audience didn't laugh, but I did.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by Aoidoi; 26th January 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 12:24 PM   #129
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't be the first time I guessed wrong!

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
As they should. They have a lawful order from the Supreme Court.
The order didn't tell them they had to print the ballots. It said that if they printed ballots prior to their decision, they had to include Emanuel.

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Not to print them WITHOUT Rahm's name on them.
Yes, so the Board would have been free to not print them if they wanted to wait. As I think about it, my guess that they'd wait doesn't make a lot of sense. Their first decision was to allow Emanuel on the ballot.

There's only a slight risk that the SC will make them throw out the ballots already printed by deciding to uphold the appellate court decision.
Old 26th January 2011, 01:00 PM   #130
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Wouldn't be the first time I guessed wrong!
Early voting starts Monday, I would expect a decision by that time but who knows. The court was in recess when this happened, I don't even know the physical whereabouts of the justices and if they actually have to be in the same room to deiberate this.
Old 26th January 2011, 01:23 PM   #131
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Early voting starts Monday, I would expect a decision by that time but who knows. The court was in recess when this happened, I don't even know the physical whereabouts of the justices and if they actually have to be in the same room to deiberate this.
Don't they have Facebook?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 01:32 PM   #132
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Don't they have Facebook?
They should at least get a Twitter account and tweet the decision.

In 140 characters or less.
Old 26th January 2011, 01:34 PM   #133
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

They should at least get a Twitter account and tweet the decision.

In 140 characters or less.
@Rahm: We agree U can be mayor. 5-2 decision. #precedent #loldissent
Old 26th January 2011, 02:03 PM   #134
Aoidoi
Illuminator

That'd certainly cut down on the legalese.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 05:23 PM   #135
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A Laughing Baby View Post
Can you imagine?

There's enough disagreement over what words mean that were written in complete grammatical sentences as carefully as possible.
Old 26th January 2011, 09:33 PM   #136
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by A Laughing Baby View Post
Headline: "Illinois Supreme Court Appoints Mayor Of Chicago"
Old 27th January 2011, 10:24 AM   #137
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

A Trib article on the politics of the Illinois Supreme Court:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...pport-justices
Old 27th January 2011, 02:41 PM   #138
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Just ran across this little article that says the decision might come today:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ahm-emanuel-/1

Quote:
NBC Chicago tweeted a decision is expected "within the hour." No other details were given.
ETA: But that Tweet was posted over 4 hours ago.

Last edited by JoeTheJuggler; 27th January 2011 at 02:43 PM.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 03:57 PM   #139
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

The Trib says court officials said that the announcement should be made. . .well now.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ing-today.html
Old 27th January 2011, 03:57 PM   #140
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Illinois Supreme Court officials said they will issue a ruling this afternoon on whether Rahm Emanuel can run for Chicago mayor.

The officials said the ruling could be expected at 4:45 p.m.
Which was 10 minutes ago.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 04:01 PM   #141
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Burt Odelson (the attorney who argued the case against Emanuel) is on NBC 5 right now, he doesn't expect a decision today. Tomorrow at the earliest.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:10 PM   #142
Cleon
King of the Pod People

CNN is reporting that he's officially on the ballot.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:13 PM   #143
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

And here's the opinion--a 25 page document in pdf format:

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinion...ary/111773.pdf
Old 27th January 2011, 04:16 PM   #144
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Yeah, that was quick.

I expect a lot of lawsuits now from city employees who were fired.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:17 PM   #145
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that was quick.

Who would they sue?

Old 27th January 2011, 04:21 PM   #146
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that was quick.

Not at all. As the Illinois Supreme Court notes, the issue was settled law from the Smith case in 1867 until the appellate court decided to invent a new legal standard:

Quote:
Thus, from April 1867 through January 24 of this year, the
principles governing the question before us were settled. Things
changed, however, when the appellate court below issued its decision
and announced that it was no longer bound by any of the law cited
above, including this court’s decision in Smith, but was instead free to
craft its own original standard for determining a candidate’s residency.
See page 10 of the decision.

ETA: That is, if the appellate decision stood, there might have been a rash of suits dealing with this newly invented standard, but the SC decision reverses that and goes back to the status quo since 1867 (I think--I haven't read the whole thing yet).

ETA: Yes, the decision upholds the existing standard (Smith):

Quote:
So there will be no mistake, let us be entirely clear. This court’s
decision is based on the following and only on the following: (1) what
it means to be a resident for election purposes was clearly established
long ago, and Illinois law has been consistent on the matter since at
least the 19th Century; (2) the novel standard adopted by the appellate
court majority is without any foundation in Illinois law; (3) the
Board’s factual findings were not against the manifest weight of the
evidence; and (4) the Board’s decision was not clearly erroneous.
Appellate court judgment reversed;
circuit court judgment affirmed.
It's a very readable decision, I might add. It emphasizes the point that since the plaintiff acknowledged that Emanuel had established residency, the only question was whether or not he had abandoned it. If a person doesn't abandon residency (by intent and actions), then he doesn't have to live there physically to maintain it. The new standard of residency that the appellate court created would have been terribly problematic since they never defined what it entailed.

Last edited by JoeTheJuggler; 27th January 2011 at 04:53 PM.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 04:35 PM   #147
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
7.In other words, the appellate court concluded that Smith is not
binding because this court did not know what it was talking about
when it wrote it...
And they said judges had no sense of humo(u)r...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 04:38 PM   #148
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Yeah, that was quick.

Different points of law as I see it.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:52 PM   #149
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
And they said judges had no sense of humo(u)r...
I noted a few little barbs like that in the decision.
Old 27th January 2011, 08:36 PM   #150
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Any Chicagoans here watch the debate?
Old 22nd February 2011, 03:19 PM   #151
carlitos
"más divertido"

I just voted, and can vouch that Rahmbo was on the ballot!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:50 PM   #152
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Well, according to CNN, you can say hi to Mayor Rahmbo.

Vaya con dios, my Chicagoan friends.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:24 PM   #153
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

WBBM-AM saying no runoff too.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics