ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chicago incidents , hate crimes , racism incidents

Old 23rd April 2012, 04:30 PM   #41
Coffee
Caffeine Pusher

Originally Posted by Cylinder View Post
When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
Till I get to the bottom and I see you again.
Well, Charles had a uniquely crazy way of interpreting lyrics.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:25 PM   #42
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Well, Charles had a uniquely crazy way of interpreting lyrics.
"Piggies" is an appropriate tune for Occupy as well. It's 1969 all over again.
bynmdsue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:59 PM   #43
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Thought I would post this here instead of starting a new thread ..

Matthew Owens Of Alabama Allegedly Beaten By Mob In 'Justice For Trayvon' Rage
Old 24th April 2012, 05:10 PM   #44
Barber Shop
Critical Thinker

Would not be too surprised if these idiots thought that appealing to the Trayvon Martin incident would actually help them rather than hurt them by adding a hate crime..."Well officer, I was just so upset by this Trayvon Martin thing that I could not control myself...".

[/speculation]

http://www.theonion.com/article/berk...-wall-st-55815
Barber Shop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 06:54 PM   #45
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Thought I would post this here instead of starting a new thread ..

Matthew Owens Of Alabama Allegedly Beaten By Mob In 'Justice For Trayvon' Rage
I don't buy the "justice for Trayvon" explanation. In the actual news report they say the dispute that led up to this event had been escalating for "years". Something rings odd to me about the story. I think it's A LITTLE deeper then it appears at first blush.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:19 PM   #46
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
I don't buy the "justice for Trayvon" explanation. In the actual news report they say the dispute that led up to this event had been escalating for "years". Something rings odd to me about the story. I think it's A LITTLE deeper then it appears at first blush.
Although two witnesses do say that one women yelled it was 'justice for Trayvon' according to your link. Now obviously that probably wasn't the actual motive, but that doesn't mean it wasn't said.

And of course yelling things at kids doesn't justify being beaten into a coma by a mob.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 08:41 PM   #47
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Although two witnesses do say that one women yelled it was 'justice for Trayvon' according to your link. Now obviously that probably wasn't the actual motive, but that doesn't mean it wasn't said.

And of course yelling things at kids doesn't justify being beaten into a coma by a mob.
That's my point exactly.
Old 26th April 2012, 02:42 PM   #48
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Seems my intuition was correct. Apparently only 4 people (the current count) were directly involved in the beating. Not 20. And the dispute was between two neighbors that apparently had gone violent before. This had nothing to do with Trayvon Martin.

The idea that 20+ people with weapons beating one man somehow didn't beat him to death or at least leave him horribly disfigured didn't add up. Not to mention the circumstances seemed very outlandish (though I never underestimate the stupidity of humans).

Most recent Update

1st arrest
Old 26th April 2012, 03:53 PM   #49
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

That seems to imply that about twenty people showed up and were thus 'involved', but that fewer were the ones doing the actual beating. It's understandable for the witnesses to make that mistake if it is indeed the case.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 08:15 PM   #50
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
That seems to imply that about twenty people showed up and were thus 'involved', but that fewer were the ones doing the actual beating. It's understandable for the witnesses to make that mistake if it is indeed the case.
Not sure what capacity any were involved but in the updated report they say most were bystanders. Unfortunately it seems the video on the main article is updated continually so the video currently up is different then the one I saw.

Either way, the "1st arrest" video explains it thoroughly enough. Whether the crowd was cheering and jeering is a different story but based on the words of the police I don't get the impression most of them were actually partnered with any of the suspects.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:51 PM   #51
Ammonitida
Muse

The media coverage of this case has been disturbing. His character has been attacked in several articles -- essentially implying that he deserved this beating. The source largely responsible for this character assassination is a woman named Lemica Whisenhunt who has given several media interviews in which she called the victim a "racist" and alleged that he called the kids the n-word. It turns out that she is the live-in girlfriend of the main suspect, Terry Rawls (this was not known when she was giving the defamatory interviews). Hardly a credible source.

The victim's family is now speaking out;

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47198650
Ammonitida is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events